Getting TrueHD or DTSMA from a pc via an HDMI port possible ? Motherboards, cards? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 05-23-2008, 02:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I know this question has been tossed around before.. but i'm going to rephrase it.. change it up a little..

I will/have a receiver which can do the decoding of TrueHD on the unit itself..

I have my office setup with the PC, and an HDMI port going to the other room where i will want to watch the video (via bluetooth mouse and IR setup)..

Right now.. i feed the other room the coax audio cable for the audio portion, which gives me dolby digital for DVDs..

But i will want to play back Bluray content via PowerDVD very soon..

Right now i have dual video cards on an asus p5n32-sli motherboard.. (independent).. i send one port to the other room for viewing via hdmi .. and use the onboard coax audio for sound..

What are the current options for getting dolby trueHD with a setup like mine (IE: coax in wall ability and hdmi) ?

I've noticed the motherboard P5E-VM has HDMI and may support sending trueHD through the same video port, assuming i can still use onboard video AND use my geforce 8600 card in the office..

I'm looking at getting a new motherboard, as mine died.. not sure whether to go the onboard route (prefer not to, if there will be a seperate card with audio and video out there real soon).. seems to me this is the only choice? Or is there a sound card that could do it.. via coax (i dont want to send 8 more wires through the wall if i can avoid it )

Thanks in advance

Tech, the Universe, and Everything:  http://tech-stew.com

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 05-23-2008, 04:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
You can uncompress the audio with PDVD and send it via HDMI to the receiver. You are looking to pass LPCM audio.

Here's a thread about using a Gforce 8200.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=990188

You can also use the intel G35 MB.

There currently isn't any way to pass the compress TrueHD or DTS-HD audio via HDMI, but hopefully a video card that supports this (called bitstream support) sometime during 2008.

There is one more limitation you should know about. About 10% of the Blu-ray discs out there offer a higher sample rate than the rest, which is 48Khz/24bit. These discs will be down sampled to 48Khz/16bit which happens to be what most discs are anyways. You can see which discs have which audio at blu-raystats.com. This is expected to be resolved in the next few months when a new video card with HDMI that provides a protected audio path is available. Some believe the protected path may be enabled on current cards with a firmware update.

Ben
How good could it be if it isn't HD?
Engadget HD
post #3 of 4 Old 05-23-2008, 05:57 PM

If you just want to handle it on a discrete card you can wait a month and get one of the new ATI/AMD video cards that will include 7.1 HD audio through HDMI. There is even some possibility that it can send a Bitstream since the entire process can be contained within the same piece of hardware. The other options are select G35 motherboards and the 'kind-of' released Geforce 8200 motherboards from Nvidia. But those were already mentioned.
post #4 of 4 Old 05-23-2008, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnabney View Post

If you just want to handle it on a discrete card you can wait a month and get one of the new ATI/AMD video cards that will include 7.1 HD audio through HDMI. There is even some possibility that it can send a Bitstream since the entire process can be contained within the same piece of hardware. The other options are select G35 motherboards and the 'kind-of' released Geforce 8200 motherboards from Nvidia. But those were already mentioned.

I wasnt too keen on the g35 motherboards, as it appears you cant do integrated and an addon card (geforce 8600+ ) at the same time..?

My main concern, is getting that signal from the bluray player.. having my receiver do the decoding..

Either way, the only solution (at least for me).. is via HDMI i'm assuming.. perhaps ill wait on that ATI card to come out (or maybe a dedicated card from nvidia some day?).. or i guess i could go with the g35 if i give up the idea of using 1 PC for everything (in the separate room) and dedicate a small box just to outputting the video and audio in the other room.

Tech, the Universe, and Everything:  http://tech-stew.com

Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page