Chronical Tester
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 3740 Old 08-31-2008, 08:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
hey quick question about the nero ac3 encoder. eac3to is saying it cant find it. is this a big deal with quality? and if it is where should I put the ac3.exe for nero?
post #273 of 3740 Old 09-01-2008, 02:48 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

hey quick question about the nero ac3 encoder. eac3to is saying it cant find it. is this a big deal with quality? and if it is where should I put the ac3.exe for nero?

Hi Craig198,
Not a problem at all ...the libav decoder gives first class results for eac3 & TrueHD tracks. Your log says that it doesn't appear to be working. If you really want the nero decoder then it has to be nero 7 (nero 8 directshow filters are player specific i.e. limmited to showtime). If your using 8 then this is the source of your problem (this is what I suspect since eac3to looks for decoder info via the registry). Hope that helps.
Cheers,
Jiff.
post #274 of 3740 Old 09-01-2008, 02:55 AM

Hi Jiff,

do you have an insight into the Delaycut program that I got an error message about before (post #251 on this thread)?
post #275 of 3740 Old 09-01-2008, 03:44 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Hi Jiff,

do you have an insight into the Delaycut program that I got an error message about before (post #251 on this thread)?

Apologies Yocky,
I forgot about that ....This message pops up when eac3to is fed with an audio track which has some corruption in it (usually CRC errors). It's a common problem problem for AC3 and E-AC3 tracks and it's usually caused by a bad disc rip (according to madshi, creator of eac3to). Often enough the problem is solved when the disc is re-ripped. Anyway, delaycut (v1.3.0.0) can be used (it supports AC3, E-AC3 up to 5.1ch and DTS files only) to "clean" the track, by removing the corrupted parts when fed a faulty corrupt track. Note, that if the corruption is big, more parts (frames) are removed and an audio / video sync problem can arrise. I have had this error in the past with some dts MA tracks (studio canal titles, when extracting the core stream before I got the sonic decoders and now with the arcsoft decoders). Using the program didn't clear up the problem I'm affraid to say. I ended up using TsRemuxer to extract the core dts track in my case but since yours is DD+ I don't think that it will help since their is not any option to extract a core for this format (unless support has been added since ...worth cheaking). Anything else I can help with like usage post and I'll try to give you some instructions. Hope that helps.
Cheers,
Jiff.
post #276 of 3740 Old 09-01-2008, 11:14 AM

Thanks JiffOrange for all you have done! This is the perfect forum I was looking for. Im trying out Megui now for the x264 encode. Hope all goes well.

I noticed some things in your megui guide didnt match up quite right in the screenshots. for example turbo is not checked in pic and you said to check it. There were other settings in the x264 config windows that looked different then mine(layout) and also following your text then looking at my settings to your pics there were things that were not checked or set right. is it just me?
post #277 of 3740 Old 09-01-2008, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiffOrange View Post

Apologies Yocky,
I forgot about that ....Often enough the problem is solved when the disc is re-ripped.
Jiff.

No need to apologise. Is it possible to include the Flac conversion command in the initial .bat instruction? I'm sure it is, I just don't know enough about the syntax to work it out.
post #278 of 3740 Old 09-01-2008, 01:56 PM

ya I was wondering the same thing.
post #279 of 3740 Old 09-01-2008, 02:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
What do you mean by initial bat command.
You can rerip->encode just the soundtrack if you want.
I just ripped "I am legend" and I picked the specific tracks I wanted.

Here is an example of my .bat file.

d:\\hd\\eac3to\\eac3to.exe "E:\\BDMV\\STREAM\\00000.m2ts" 1: "d:\\HD\\iamlegend\\iamlegend_chapters.txt" 2: "d:\\HD\\iamlegend\\iamlegend.mkv" 3: "d:\\HD\\iamlegend\\english.ac3" 4: "d:\\HD\\iamlegend\\englishtruehd.flac" 11: "d:\\HD\\iamlegend\\eng.sup" 27: "d:\\HD\\iamlegend\\swe.sup"

So the numbers and the colon selects which track to pull, e.g 1:, 27:
If you look at the 4:, that was the TrueHD track, if you just put the extension to whatever you want it to be eac3to will handle it, e.g. in my case englishtruehd.flac

You can also get more examples from the wiki if you want.

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Eac3to/How_to_Use

21:st century Karate Kid......Logon, Logoff, Logon, Logoff..
post #280 of 3740 Old 09-01-2008, 04:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Good job fredrik.

Chronical Tester
post #281 of 3740 Old 09-01-2008, 07:43 PM

got another problem going eac3 to dts
post #282 of 3740 Old 09-02-2008, 04:26 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks JiffOrange for all you have done! This is the perfect forum I was looking for. Im trying out Megui now for the x264 encode. Hope all goes well.

I noticed some things in your megui guide didnt match up quite right in the screenshots. for example turbo is not checked in pic and you said to check it. There were other settings in the x264 config windows that looked different then mine(layout) and also following your text then looking at my settings to your pics there were things that were not checked or set right. is it just me?

Hi Craig198,
Follow the txt not the windows ...the windows were more for illistration to give you an idea of the where things are etc so for example the "turbo" should be checked even though it doesn't show in the window. In the case of others such as the "RC and ME" tab some of the options are user defined as I state in the text i.e. use Hexagon if CPU power is lower or Multi-Hex (as per window) if you have the CPU grunt for the "M.E. Algorithm". The text basically tells you what options you can change from the windows so no your windows are not always going to be exactly like the ones shown (I was really trying to give people an insight into coding options). If your having any specific Qs then please ask.

Not had alot of experience with surcode but it would seem that it can't find the files that eac3to is making ...try outputing the files to the surcode default directory. If not once eac3to starts launching surecode close it and then launch surcode manually and do it that way. Its a bit ugly but it should work. Hope that helps.
Cheers,
Jiff.
post #283 of 3740 Old 09-02-2008, 04:26 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

No need to apologise. Is it possible to include the Flac conversion command in the initial .bat instruction? I'm sure it is, I just don't know enough about the syntax to work it out.

What Fredrik said.
Cheers,
Jiff.
post #284 of 3740 Old 09-02-2008, 06:46 AM

thanks jiff Im following the text now. (I think the only thing different was I didnt check turbo last encode.

as far as surcode, Im not really following ya on that one because there is no way to pause the process and the wav's disappear before I get a manual chance of doing it. Ill try again though. This time its outputting to default surcode directory
post #285 of 3740 Old 09-02-2008, 08:05 AM
AVS Special Member

eac3to "G:\\MI3demux\\MI3.eac3" "G:\\MI3demux\\MI3.wavs"

Chronical Tester
post #286 of 3740 Old 09-02-2008, 11:25 AM

thanks to both of you for the help. yes setting the output folder to programs default directory seems to do the trick. cool! now I have I higher quality dts stream.

Does anyone know why megui would output a movie to 126 mb? I set a bitrate of 4201 to try and get movie to fit on one dvd with dts audio

I tried again and same result.

mi3.txt 4.671875k . file

mi31.txt 8.857421875k . file
post #287 of 3740 Old 09-03-2008, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredrik View Post

What do you mean by initial bat command.
You can rerip->encode just the soundtrack if you want.
I just ripped "I am legend" and I picked the specific tracks I wanted.

Here is an example of my .bat file.

d:\\hd\\eac3to\\eac3to.exe "E:\\BDMV\\STREAM\\00000.m2ts" 1: "d:\\HD\\iamlegend\\iamlegend_chapters.txt" 2: "d:\\HD\\iamlegend\\iamlegend.mkv" 3: "d:\\HD\\iamlegend\\english.ac3" 4: "d:\\HD\\iamlegend\\englishtruehd.flac" 11: "d:\\HD\\iamlegend\\eng.sup" 27: "d:\\HD\\iamlegend\\swe.sup"

So the numbers and the colon selects which track to pull, e.g 1:, 27:
If you look at the 4:, that was the TrueHD track, if you just put the extension to whatever you want it to be eac3to will handle it, e.g. in my case englishtruehd.flac

You can also get more examples from the wiki if you want.

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Eac3to/How_to_Use

Was quite confused about this before I worked out how to get eac3to to list the track numbers in the first place. Got it now, thanks a lot.

Without going too far off topic, how do I restrict ffdshow's involvement? With the settings I normally have for post processing and upscaling, ffdshow appears in the filter graph for these mkv files which causes problems. Can I choose to excude ffdshow on a per-player basis?

edit: Found the answer to that too. It's amazing what you see when you open your eyes.
post #288 of 3740 Old 09-04-2008, 10:57 AM

how did you ever come up with the -stripPulldown switch for an eac3to.exe command? I searched the wiki for it and nothing shows up. Really a cool tool when you can get past the command/batch interface! thumbs up!
post #289 of 3740 Old 09-04-2008, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
I belive it's default to use -strippulldown when you run eac3to.
Otherwise just type eac3to and hit enter and you'll get a list of all commands.

21:st century Karate Kid......Logon, Logoff, Logon, Logoff..
post #290 of 3740 Old 09-04-2008, 04:08 PM

nvmd got it(audio sync)
post #291 of 3740 Old 09-05-2008, 03:30 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

how did you ever come up with the -stripPulldown switch for an eac3to.exe command? I searched the wiki for it and nothing shows up. Really a cool tool when you can get past the command/batch interface! thumbs up!

Hi,
This used to be required to get VC-1 material to play at 24 fps but its now the default option so you don't need it anymore. Did you ever get your MeGUI thing sorted? I'll have a look now for you ....sorry not been sooner but work is taking over at the min.
Cheers,
Jiff.
post #292 of 3740 Old 09-05-2008, 05:47 AM

okay I have had a successful encode today. log attached. what do you guys think about the new dxva hd presets that come with megui? are they worth the trouble? I have a 780G chipset.

Jiff no worries mate. take your time! you've already been a huge help to many!

thats cool so we dont need that command(strip pulldown) anymore. thats probably why the wiki doesnt even go over it then.
post #293 of 3740 Old 09-08-2008, 06:56 AM

well I just tried encoding last night mission impossible and the name lives up to the encoding lol. another 180mb file after processing all evening and night. im wondering if the asharp(10,4) command is causing this. could be a conflict as there have been updates. I dont have a log but im sure its similar to the previous one I posted. (post #286)
post #294 of 3740 Old 09-08-2008, 08:57 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

well I just tried encoding last night mission impossible and the name lives up to the encoding lol. another 180mb file after processing all evening and night. im wondering if the asharp(10,4) command is causing this. could be a conflict as there have been updates. I dont have a log but im sure its similar to the previous one I posted. (post #286)

Hi again,
I can tell you why this is happening but I'm not sure how you have got it to happen ...its not the asharp filter for one this is a post-proccesing filter that has no impact on bitrate. The reason that you are getting very low bitrates is that during your first encode you have a QP (P-frame quantizer) is at a perceptually lossless level i.e. 10 (very high quality) but when your computer moves to the second encode this value jumps dramatically to 45-50 (very low quality). Now in a normal encode this shouldn't be a problem as the value moves to satisfy bitrate requirements but with your encode you have an avg of 45-50 so the bitrate is always low. In essence what is happening is the QP range is causing your x264 encode to completely ignore the bitrate you have set and because it keeps going so high its really throttling your bitrate to a very low level ~160 kbits/s rather than 4200 kbits/s. I'm not sure why this is happening, it is possible that it is related to aq-mode (which I note is in your log too). This is a new addition to x264 and is designed to offer adaptive quantization which would change quant on a frame by frame basis. I don't have much experience with this I'm affraid (and don't have the new meGUI so can't really test either) but I would bet this is screwing up your encodes (should only be used with -vbv-maxrate command, I think ...could be wrong tho). Try to disable it if you can find the options (its a bad idea for HD media ...its designed to save space with animation etc) or you can dramatically reduce your "Maximum Quantizer" to around ~25 on the "advanced" tab in video options. That should slow it down at least. Last check that you are not using any other options appart from "automated 2pass".

I will get a copy of the new MeGUI myself and have a play to see if I can recreate your problem and give you more advice, also if the above doesn't fix it then I'll need more info about your actual settings to me more useful (screens if poss). Hope that helps.
Cheers,
Jiff.
post #295 of 3740 Old 09-08-2008, 11:49 AM

hey thanks jiff. ya Im kinda lost on the abbreviations you are saying. and I also have no idea what those commands probably do. I will post screens almost like a tutorial. thanks again.

oh and Im using the dxva HQ preset( I admit I wandered from your tutorial just to see if using a preset would help) also I didnt even use the asharp.dll and still same thing happened so your right that its not asharp.
post #296 of 3740 Old 09-08-2008, 05:43 PM

here is my process that I do( I know its different than your tutorial but maybe you could tell me what Im doing that causes conflict.
if pictures are better then I will do that instead. just thought I would try camstudio out.
http://www.vimeo.com/1693523

I wonder if setting the avs file in same directory as output makes a difference or not? im trying it now.
post #297 of 3740 Old 09-09-2008, 10:20 PM

Hello,

I have read through this thread, but i dont think i have quite found the answer im looking for.

I have a bluray rip (a bunch of .ts's) that i want to convert to mkv. I tried one of the parts using the first portion of the guide and it worked great. However, the outputted mkv was only about a gig less than the acual .ts.

I assume that there is a way to re-encode the .ts's so that the outputed .mkv is much smaller than the ts's right? Right now the .ts's total about 35 gigs. I would like to make my mkv approx 10 gigs (it can be a little more, but certainly less than 35GB's).
I want to preserve as much quality as possible and also keep the video 1080p (and of course the best audio). Does anyone have any suggestions on how to accomplish this?

Thanks very much for your time.
post #298 of 3740 Old 09-10-2008, 03:29 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Hello,

I have read through this thread, but i dont think i have quite found the answer im looking for.

I have a bluray rip (a bunch of .ts's) that i want to convert to mkv. I tried one of the parts using the first portion of the guide and it worked great. However, the outputted mkv was only about a gig less than the acual .ts.

I assume that there is a way to re-encode the .ts's so that the outputed .mkv is much smaller than the ts's right? Right now the .ts's total about 35 gigs. I would like to make my mkv approx 10 gigs (it can be a little more, but certainly less than 35GB's).
I want to preserve as much quality as possible and also keep the video 1080p (and of course the best audio). Does anyone have any suggestions on how to accomplish this?

Thanks very much for your time.

Hi Muad"Dib,
In order to reduce the space of the file then you will have to recompress it ...just changing the container i.e. ts to mkv will not result in any real reduction in size since the audio and video portions of the file are identical to the origional i.e. no change in bitrate so the number of Mbits/s and hence the overall file size are the same. To reduce the file size (assuming you want 1080p and not 720p) you will have to re-encode it and reduce the bitrate. To generate a file that is perceptually identical to the origional (obviouly it will loose some data) I would suggest taking a look at the re-encoding sections of guide 1 and all of guide 3. To generate a file that is very good quality at 1080p for the size you require I would suggest a bitrate of between 10-12 Mbits/s (10000 - 12000 in the guides). I'm sorry to say that this is the ONLY way you will acheive your goal. If you have anymore Qs then please post ...we have some very good people here who can help you acheive what you require. Hope that is helpfull.
Cheers,
Jiff.
post #299 of 3740 Old 09-10-2008, 03:31 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

I wonder if setting the avs file in same directory as output makes a difference or not? im trying it now.

Will not make any differance mate ...I'll have a look at your vid and get back to you. Got to say this is a strange one. If you do want to do some testing of your own and don't want to wait for the whole file you can add the following line to your AVS script after the Undot() line:

Trim(0, 3000)

This will just encode the first 2 mins of video so you can check what the output is like and weather or not you are getting an appropriate file size. Hope that is helpfull. Be back in touch soon.
Cheers,
Jiff.
post #300 of 3740 Old 09-10-2008, 05:25 AM

oh ya forgot about that command. will definitely save some time

let me know jiff when you get a chance to try out the latest megui and updates. Im really curious to see if its a bug.

actually after full testing all of these settings both dxva hd and balanced both fail after full encodes anyway. so im still at square 1 with the encoding part. and yes I still havent followed your tips yet jiff as I accidentally deleted my mkv file last night doh! put it with the x264.exe and deleted megui to get my presets back.

and these settings are using the dxva hq and dont work for some odd reason. whats the difference?

Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page