post #3541 of 3740 Old 05-27-2011, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by renethx View Post

The first post is outdated. The current standards of ripping BD to MKV is, keep every track as it is as possible:

Thanks for this detailed update.

It stinks when mega-large instructive type threads like this have an OP member who disappears (gone for almost two years), where updates to the opening post would serve a lot of people well.

Members should sign contracts upon joining forums: if you start a thread and it turns out to be a popular and primarily instructive one, you must be available in perpetuity to update your first post as needed, otherwise, be fined $100.

Mourning the disappearing usage of the -ly suffix. Words being cut-off before they've had a chance to fully form, left incomplete, with their shoelaces untied and their zippers undone. If I quote your post (or post in your thread) without comment, please check your zipper.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3542 of 3740 Old 05-27-2011, 01:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruelInventions View Post

Thanks for this detailed update.

It stinks when mega-large instructive type threads like this have an OP member who disappears (gone for almost two years), where updates to the opening post would serve a lot of people well.

Members should sign contracts upon joining forums: if you start a thread and it turns out to be a popular and primarily instructive one, you must be available in perpetuity to update your first post as needed, otherwise, be fined $100.

As long as you ask questions you should always get pointed in the right direction, even if the thread is a little long in the tooth. I have put together some mkv guides over the past year or so that should still be relevant and of help:

http://www.mediasmartserver.net/tag/mkv/

Cheers,
Damian

MSS.net blog (contributing editor) - http://www.mediasmartserver.net

Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP 2010-2012

post #3543 of 3740 Old 05-27-2011, 04:11 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post

As long as you ask questions you should always get pointed in the right direction, even if the thread is a little long in the tooth. I have put together some mkv guides over the past year or so that should still be relevant and of help:

http://www.mediasmartserver.net/tag/mkv/

Yes, thank you very much. I tried the clown one for my hdddvds, works well.
One thing tho do I need to merge in the wav file & w64 file into the mkv?
post #3544 of 3740 Old 05-27-2011, 04:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wdnuwndr View Post

Yes, thank you very much. I tried the clown one for my hdddvds, works well.
One thing tho do I need to merge in the wav file & w64 file into the mkv?

just the wav file

Cheers,
Damian

post #3545 of 3740 Old 05-27-2011, 07:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have put together some mkv guides over the past year or so that should still be relevant and of help:

Yes, Damian. I've long noticed that your helpful net has been cast wide and deep.. I'm sure I'll be availing myself of some of that guidance in the coming months.

I've been lurching along with anticipated future projects, long stuck at the procrastination and indecision stage with respect to my output goals (quality vs space, then in regards to output: iso/mkv/folders, etc.). The only thing I can say for sure is I want to keep subtitles, even English ones, useful to be able to pull up when dialog is unclear.

The question I often see put to the typical novice inquirer is, "what device will you be playing your output with?", to which I have no idea yet. There are so many now. A media PC is the one thing I've ruled out. So my approach will most likely be this; I'll go with whichever output method is most versatile to all the available player options currently available and anticipated to be available in the future. Don't know if that is iso, folders, mkv, etc.

I'm also unsure at to what extent, if any, my VideoReDo TVSuite H.264 software can be put to use for any tasks relating to blu-ray ripping/conversions. Oh, and I have AnyDVD HD (hardly used ).

Mourning the disappearing usage of the -ly suffix. Words being cut-off before they've had a chance to fully form, left incomplete, with their shoelaces untied and their zippers undone. If I quote your post (or post in your thread) without comment, please check your zipper.
post #3546 of 3740 Old 05-28-2011, 02:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruelInventions View Post

Yes, Damian. I've long noticed that your helpful net has been cast wide and deep.. I'm sure I'll be availing myself of some of that guidance in the coming months.

I've been lurching along with anticipated future projects, long stuck at the procrastination and indecision stage with respect to my output goals (quality vs space, then in regards to output: iso/mkv/folders, etc.). The only thing I can say for sure is I want to keep subtitles, even English ones, useful to be able to pull up when dialog is unclear.

The question I often see put to the typical novice inquirer is, "what device will you be playing your output with?", to which I have no idea yet. There are so many now. A media PC is the one thing I've ruled out. So my approach will most likely be this; I'll go with whichever output method is most versatile to all the available player options currently available and anticipated to be available in the future. Don't know if that is iso, folders, mkv, etc.

I'm also unsure at to what extent, if any, my VideoReDo TVSuite H.264 software can be put to use for any tasks relating to blu-ray ripping/conversions. Oh, and I have AnyDVD HD (hardly used ).

Along with a few HTPCs I have various other media players in my house (Dune, PCH, Boxee Box, SageTV, etc...). Out of those I have had the best luck with the Dune Players, and playback of all my content (including ripped BluRays) have always played flawless. With more players supporting BluRay folder structures and forced subs in mkvs not fully supported amongst many players yet, I have slowly moved from mkv to folder structures for my BluRays.

As far as video redo, what type of editing are you looking to do? I have used ReDo to edit out commercials from an h264 ts tv capture, but not much else

Cheers,
Damian

post #3547 of 3740 Old 05-28-2011, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks, Damian. The player feedback helps. I've heard good things about Dune before, but I was hoping to cheap-out with a similar quality solution for less. But if it's not in the cards, I'll bite the cost bullet if need be.

I've been kind of jealous of people who have been using makemkv for free for so long and accomplishing a similar result (i.e., ripped blu-rays with same compression options & parsing of extras as desired) to what AnyDVD HD & any subsequent complementary program could accomplish. Especially as I paid through the nose for that program. Makes me feel a little better now that mkv might not be best suited for my needs anyway. Then again, if "forced subs" only refers to foreign language ones and not English ones as well, which is what I also want to keep, then perhaps my jealousy should remain intact.

As far as VideoReDo w/H.264 and how it may or may not apply, I am still a little vague on keeping all the terminology & methods straight. I haven't been clear if this program can substitute to any extent whatsoever for some of the tasks covered by such oft sited program options as Clown BD, makemkv, tsMuxeR, et all.

If VideoReDo is strictly useful for editing and converting formats from HD/SD broadcast content, so be it. When it comes to blu-rays, if VideoReDo might also turn out to be the best or only candidate for those times when I simply want to edit down to save a particular scene from a film and nothing more, that would be good to know. How having the top-of-the-line version of VideoReDo (which includes H.264) applies to any of this, I'm not exactly sure.

post #3548 of 3740 Old 06-07-2011, 10:40 AM
Advanced Member

Is there a program that is able to remux disks with TV-series without having to manually do one and one episde? Something that recognises that the disk has 4 episodes, then rips them to 4 different files?
post #3549 of 3740 Old 06-07-2011, 10:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zicoz View Post

Is there a program that is able to remux disks with TV-series without having to manually do one and one episde? Something that recognises that the disk has 4 episodes, then rips them to 4 different files?

MakeMKV

Cheers,
Damian

post #3550 of 3740 Old 06-07-2011, 01:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

MakeMKV

Hmm, I thought that MakeMKV put them all in the same file, I'll take a look again though thank you.
post #3551 of 3740 Old 06-07-2011, 01:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Hmm, I thought that MakeMKV put them all in the same file, I'll take a look again though thank you.

Nope, it will put each playlist/episode in its own mkv

Cheers,
Damian

post #3552 of 3740 Old 06-07-2011, 02:10 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 21
Quote:

MakeMKV doesn't recognize the content of a disc. What it does is copy each
title you've selected to a separate MKV file. If each episode is in a separate
title, MakeMKV outputs one file per episode; If all the episodes are stored as a
single title, MakeMKV doesn't split them.
post #3553 of 3740 Old 06-07-2011, 02:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamilcar Barca View Post

MakeMKV doesn't recognize the content of a disc. What it does is copy each
title you've selected to a separate MKV file. If each episode is in a separate
title, MakeMKV outputs one file per episode; If all the episodes are stored as a
single title, MakeMKV doesn't split them.

With TV shows I haven't come across a disc yet that doesn't have each episode broken out as a separate title. Not saying they don't exist, just don't know how common they are

Cheers,
Damian

post #3554 of 3740 Old 06-07-2011, 02:43 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 21
Quote:

With TV shows I haven't come across a disc yet that doesn't have each
episode broken out as a separate title. Not saying they don't exist, just don't
know how common they are

I've seen two, I think, anime series on DVD where all episodes were part of the
same title. I don't think it's common at all.
post #3555 of 3740 Old 06-08-2011, 01:48 AM

Basically I feel like a real n00b.
I went through the guide with few problems. Great MKV file that looks beautiful.
When I try to copy it to my external HDD (I like to keep my internal HDD clean) it wont work! It says the file is to big for the system, even though there is still hundreds of GBs left, not to mention I have plenty of bigger files on it (exeeding 50 GBs).

Help please!
post #3556 of 3740 Old 06-08-2011, 07:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom911 View Post

Basically I feel like a real n00b.
I went through the guide with few problems. Great MKV file that looks beautiful.
When I try to copy it to my external HDD (I like to keep my internal HDD clean) it wont work! It says the file is to big for the system, even though there is still hundreds of GBs left, not to mention I have plenty of bigger files on it (exeeding 50 GBs).

Help please!

Format your external to NTFS?
post #3557 of 3740 Old 06-08-2011, 07:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

With TV shows I haven't come across a disc yet that doesn't have each episode broken out as a separate title. Not saying they don't exist, just don't know how common they are

I've seen some that have both (one title with all episodes plus a separate title for each episode) but never one that has ONLY the one title.
post #3558 of 3740 Old 06-08-2011, 08:36 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by renethx View Post

The first post is outdated. The current standards of ripping BD to MKV is, keep every track as it is as possible:

- AVC/VC-1/MPEG-2 1080p/i to AVC/VC-1/MPEG-2 1080p/i
- TrueHD/DTS-HD/LPCM to TrueHD/DTS-HD/LPCM
- PGS subtitles to PGS subtitles (recognizing and extracting forced ones correctly)

No need of converting HD audio to FLAC any longer even if you use an analog sound card because of LAV Audio Decoder (with ArcSoft's dtsdecoderdll.dll), no need of converting PGS subtitles to VobSub (quality loss)/SRT (who'd want to OCR?) because many media players support PGS subtitles. Ripping programs I recommend are

- MakeMKV (free as long as it is beta)
- BluRip (free, a GUI of eac3to, mkvmerge, x264; AnyDVD HD is necessary)
- (What else can do the above tasks from a single UI?)

MikeEby's Another EAC3to GUI Plus does not support PGS subtitles. DVDFab Blu-ray Ripper does not support PGS subtitles and has a serious issue with DTS-HD audio track.

Can someone explain this more? I'm still ripping best audio to .flac using another EAC3 GUI. My receiver will not decode truehd so if I dont convert what decodes and convert it before sending it to my receiver?
post #3559 of 3740 Old 06-08-2011, 11:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babbitt 1080P View Post

Can someone explain this more? I'm still ripping best audio to .flac using another EAC3 GUI. My receiver will not decode truehd so if I dont convert what decodes and convert it before sending it to my receiver?

Your player/filters will decode the sound and pass through as lpcm to your avr. It's on par with bitsreaming. I've never done it but I believe you need to use lavfilters w/ arcsoft audio decoder for dts hd ma since their are no opensource decoders for that. The lav decoders will do the rest. I'm not sure of the setting you will need to use, maybe someone else can chime in.

Pioneer Kuro...your time is up...mwahahhahhha
post #3560 of 3740 Old 06-08-2011, 11:27 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babbitt 1080P View Post

Just install LAV Audio Decoder and place ArcSoft's dtsdecoderdll.dll in the same folder as LAVAudio.ax. LAV Audio Decoder will decode all HD audio formats just fine (except for a couple of singular formats). If you have TMT3/5, you can use its dtsdecoderdll.dll. Otherwise, install TMT5 trial, borrow dtsdecoderdll.dll (), then uninstall it.
post #3561 of 3740 Old 06-09-2011, 12:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Nope, it will put each playlist/episode in its own mkv

Great, made ripping the DVDs a whole lot faster.

An other thing. Can I have the main movie and extra material in one MKV?

Say I have the Serenity movie, can I create an MKV that looks like this:

- Serenity movie
--- Various audio
--- Various subtitles

-- Bloopers
--- audio
--- subtitles

-- documentary
---audio
--- subtitles

So when I start the mkv it plays the movie and I can change between various audio formats and subtitles.

But then I can right click and jump a separate video stream with the Bloopers or documentary and then right click to choose audio/subtitles for those videos aswell?

What program can I use for this?
post #3562 of 3740 Old 06-09-2011, 02:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Great, made ripping the DVDs a whole lot faster.

An other thing. Can I have the main movie and extra material in one MKV?

Say I have the Serenity movie, can I create an MKV that looks like this:

- Serenity movie
--- Various audio
--- Various subtitles

-- Bloopers
--- audio
--- subtitles

-- documentary
---audio
--- subtitles

So when I start the mkv it plays the movie and I can change between various audio formats and subtitles.

But then I can right click and jump a separate video stream with the Bloopers or documentary and then right click to choose audio/subtitles for those videos aswell?

What program can I use for this?

You wont have any sort of menu support like when you play back an actual disc. There is an option in mkvmerge to join several mkvs. After creating your MakeMKV mkvs you can try dropping those mkvs into mkvmerge using the append feature and see how it works

Cheers,
Damian

post #3563 of 3740 Old 06-18-2011, 10:58 PM

I'm new to this, so please forgive me. I am looking to rip all my blu-ray discs to my computer. I have been using makemkv to grab the .m2ts and not bother converting to mkv. The only problem is some discs have the movies split into multiple m2ts files. What is the best (hopefully free) software around to just rip the movie out to a single m2ts?

Thanks in advance.
post #3564 of 3740 Old 06-19-2011, 12:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcsims View Post

I'm new to this, so please forgive me. I am looking to rip all my blu-ray discs to my computer. I have been using makemkv to grab the .m2ts and not bother converting to mkv. The only problem is some discs have the movies split into multiple m2ts files. What is the best (hopefully free) software around to just rip the movie out to a single m2ts?

Thanks in advance.

Use BDInfo to find the .mpls which contains the main movie, use Tsmuxer to remux it into a single .m2ts file.
post #3565 of 3740 Old 06-19-2011, 02:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osirus23 View Post

Use BDInfo to find the .mpls which contains the main movie, use Tsmuxer to remux it into a single .m2ts file.

Also you can use Clown_BD. Keep in mind though that you must rip first with MakeMKV which will decrypt the disc (I assume this is how you are getting your m2ts from MakeMKV)

Cheers,
Damian

post #3566 of 3740 Old 06-19-2011, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 180
If using AnyDVD HD in the background you should be able to remux directly from the disc.
post #3567 of 3740 Old 06-22-2011, 02:04 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Hey guys, just starting to rip BD onto HDD. I want to create MKV files of the main feature with compressed video but audio equal to the Blu-ray, minus the additional language and subtitle tracks.

I'm currently using this workflow: BD -> MakeMKV -> tsMuxer -> AVS Video Converter -> MKVMerge

Are there any suggestions or programs you guys can think of that would optimize this method even further?

PSN Username - Kenshiro26
XBOX LIVE Gamertag - Kenshiro 26
Steam Username - Kenshiro_26
Origin ID - Kenshiro26
post #3568 of 3740 Old 06-22-2011, 02:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenshiro 26 View Post

Hey guys, just starting to rip BD onto HDD. I want to create MKV files of the main feature with compressed video but audio equal to the Blu-ray, minus the additional language and subtitle tracks.

I'm currently using this workflow: BD -> MakeMKV -> tsMuxer -> AVS Video Converter -> MKVMerge

Are there any suggestions or programs you guys can think of that would optimize this method even further?

AnyDVD + BluRip

http://www.mediasmartserver.net/2010...v-with-blurip/

Or you can use MakeMKV to make a Full Disc Folder rip to then use with BluRip

Cheers,
Damian

post #3569 of 3740 Old 06-25-2011, 11:04 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:

AnyDVD + BluRip

http://www.mediasmartserver.net/2010...v-with-blurip/

Or you can use MakeMKV to make a Full Disc Folder rip to then use with BluRip

this guide seems outdated ..i followed as much as i could but there seems some issue.. i cant see any titles after ihit the get stream infos...i set everything as mentioned in the guide except suptitle.dll which is new in the current version and not mentioned in the guide... the log shows reading 39 chapters etc but the window on blurip doesnt show any...any ideas?
i m still leaning towards handbrake...and makemkv..is there any benefit of using blurip compared to that? (encoding time shouldnt be affect by either one right?)
post #3570 of 3740 Old 06-25-2011, 11:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardrock_121 View Post

this guide seems outdated ..i followed as much as i could but there seems some issue.. i cant see any titles after ihit the get stream infos...i set everything as mentioned in the guide except suptitle.dll which is new in the current version and not mentioned in the guide... the log shows reading 39 chapters etc but the window on blurip doesnt show any...any ideas?
i m still leaning towards handbrake...and makemkv..is there any benefit of using blurip compared to that? (encoding time shouldnt be affect by either one right?)

Shouldn't be outdated as there have been no significant changes. You are using a BluRay folder rip, correct?

Cheers,
Damian

Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page