Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post

Huh? eek.gif

Well how are you removing the encryption? If you're not using something, the source has to be from somewhere else - where the encryption has already been removed.

According to dbone ClownBD doesn't encrypt prior to encoding, so how do you get around the encryption stage
Old 04-12-2013, 05:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 190
No entiendo se dice.

Old 04-12-2013, 05:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killroy View Post

I see what you did there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelman1991 View Post

Well how are you removing the encryption? If you're not using something, the source has to be from somewhere else - where the encryption has already been removed.

According to dbone ClownBD doesn't encrypt prior to encoding, so how do you get around the encryption stage

Quote:

No entiendo se dice.

lol

Cheers,
Damian

MSS.net blog (contributing editor) - http://www.mediasmartserver.net

Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP 2010-2012

Old 04-13-2013, 01:45 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:

No entiendo se dice.

That's a whooosh.

Now its my turn

Huh? eek.gif
Old 04-18-2013, 10:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
OK, here's probably another dumb question. I used MakeMKV to open a Blu-ray iso, but instead of turning it into an MKV it created a folder structure instead. What did I do wrong?

Please pray for peace.
Old 04-18-2013, 10:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgmoore View Post

OK, here's probably another dumb question. I used MakeMKV to open a Blu-ray iso, but instead of turning it into an MKV it created a folder structure instead. What did I do wrong?

For ISOs I always just mount the iso with VirtualClone, point MakeMKV to the mounted disc, and then click the little disc icon so MakeMKV can start processing the disc. It will then bring you up to a second screen where you choose your audio/video/subs

Cheers,
Damian

Old 04-28-2013, 08:00 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Thanks. Not sure what I did the first time (what did I tell myself about multi-tasking)... but it worked when I tried it again.

Please pray for peace.
Old 04-29-2013, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Long thread, probably covered before but didn't find it.

My trusty LG BD/HD DVD drive died and I cannot locate a new one so I figured it is time to turn my HD DVD ISOs into MKVs.

MakeMKV works great but I cannot for the life of me get 8MC to pick up subtitles embedded in an MKV.

Surely it must be possible?
Old 04-29-2013, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Not using 8MC or MediaCenter for playback of local content as I use MPC-HC, but what splitter and renderer are you using? Do you have VOBSub installed?

Old 04-29-2013, 11:07 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked: 389
A subtitle filter must be loaded, e.g. DirectVobSub = VSFilter (note that it does not support interlaced contents, i.e video stream is just "weaved") or ffdshow subtitles filter (raise its merit value to use it). It looks like LAV Video Decoder does not connect to either of them inside WMC. Workarounds are:

1. Use Microsoft DTV-DVD Video Decoder for H.264 and MPEG-2, WMVideo Decoder DMO for VC-1.
2. Use ffdshow Video Decoder that supports subtitles (make sure to select Intel QuickSync if you use Intel iGPU). (ffdshow subtitles filter is actually part of it.)
3. Use Shark codec pack that fixes the issue of LAV Video Decoder not being connected to DirectVobSub. Win8 version removed ffdshow and Haali. It's light-weighted.

You can select the preferred video decoder for each codec in WMC via Win7DSFilterTweaker (you don't need this if you use Shark codec pack).

Well, using MPC-HC with built-in subtitle engine as an external player is generally better.
Old 04-29-2013, 11:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Maybe I should have offered a bit more information. smile.gif

I researched a bit and found out subtitles from HD discs are in a unique format and apparently troublesome. Much as I dread codec packs I installed the Shark packs and followed the instructions which resulted in the LAV decoders and DirectVobSub being active in MKV playback.

The subtitles are shown as active in the DirectVobSub taskbar applet but they are not displayed. In the case of multiple subtitle tracks in the mkv, they are all shown as selectable, so they are evidently identified by DirectVobSub.

Then I tried using MKVcleaver to extract the subtitles to .sub files and put them in the same folder as the mkv file. That did not work either. So I googled some more and found out about BDSup2Sub which is supposed to be able to convert HD DVD subtitles to a standard format.

But BDSub2Sup chokes ("Invalid Control Buffer Size") when I try to feed it one of the subtitle files extracted from a MakeMKV-created MKV file.

However, if I extract the subs directly from the EVO files on the disc/ISO, BDSup2Sub reads them.

So the conclusion is MakeMKV does something to the HD DVD subtitles that renders them unreadable, both directly from inside the MKV and if extracted.
Old 04-30-2013, 05:25 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked: 389
Yup, you should explain it first.

It's MakeMKV's problem and MakeMKV is not the only tool to rip HD DVD in MKV. Try to rip with eac3to (using, e.g. HdBrStreamExtractor), convert the HD DVD.sup file to a BD .sup file by BDSup2Sub, then merge them with Mkvmerge GUI. Subtitles should work with any BD subtitle filter (e.g. DirectVobSub).
Old 04-30-2013, 06:06 AM
AVS Special Member

You could go to subscene and get the subtilte you need and mux it in.

Old 04-30-2013, 06:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
What I do with subtitles is extract them from the source and then use ripbot to burn them in permanently to the video stream. This way I never have to worry about if a player will support subtitles or remembering to make them active.

Speaking of Ripbot, does anyone use it? I recently realized after a lengthy time period that my Avengers MKV had some subtitle issues. When I made the MKV from my disc, I must have accidentally left all subtitles checked so I had about 9 different languages but the forced were primary. What I wanted to do is take the English track then use ripbot to burn it in permanently. This worked fine for the subtitles but for some reason the video bitrate dropped when I made the new file. I checked all my settings and did not resize the video and even set CQ to 16. I eventually had to do a 2-pass specifying a high bitrate. Any idea why the video bitrate would change when not making any video changes?
Old 05-01-2013, 07:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 115
When subtitles are burnt permanently into the video does this mean they are always present, they cannot be turned off by the player? Dvdfab has the option to do this, I've wondered what it does.

Old 05-01-2013, 08:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nethawk View Post

When subtitles are burnt permanently into the video does this mean they are always present, they cannot be turned off by the player? Dvdfab has the option to do this, I've wondered what it does.

Correct, they are now part of the actual video

Cheers,
Damian

Old 05-01-2013, 01:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 115
^^ Thank you.

Old 06-04-2013, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by politby View Post

Long thread, probably covered before but didn't find it.

My trusty LG BD/HD DVD drive died and I cannot locate a new one so I figured it is time to turn my HD DVD ISOs into MKVs.

MakeMKV works great but I cannot for the life of me get 8MC to pick up subtitles embedded in an MKV.

Surely it must be possible?
Had the same thing happen to me recently, but didn't have my HD DVDs backed up as ISOs. Luckily the drive that I used for my daughter's build a few years ago was an older LG BD drive with the firmware cross flashed to play HD DVDs (you should look for one of those drives since they were a little easier to find last I checked). I checked into doing this a while back and didn't have the best results using MakeMKV as some forum members were suggesting to me. As it turns out with the few that I tested, VC-1 MKVs refuse to play properly (nobody really pointed that out to me) but after some trial and error, converting the resulting MKV files through Handbrake cleared that up. I usually try to slim rips up anyway using Handbrake. The downside to doing conversions that way though doesn't embed subtitles into the MKV (not HD-DVDs, just from DVDs and Blurays) and you also loose DD+ which is what most HD DVDs have (Handbrake has passthrough options for DTS-HD, but DD+/trueHD get downmixed to DD) . Furthermore, a handful of HD DVDs that I had didn't want to rip with MakeMKV. I found a simple solution for the subtitle issue; use ClownBD v.81 to convert your HD DVD ISOs to BD. Once your HD DVD is in a BD format, it opens up a lot more options for you. I just started using it, but so for it seems to convert subtitles into the Blu-ray format (PGS or whatever it's called) which are now recognized by Handbrake. ISO seems to be the best output option for ClownBD as I don't believe that m2ts supports chapters (plus you can just burn them onto a BD-R if you want to go that route). Did you have any luck with the methods mentioned here?

Anyway, I stopped by here because I have a specific question for anyone familiar with ClownBD: is there way to convert DD+ to DTS? There seems to be settings for that in the options but the resulting audio just seems to be multi-channel LPCM. It's not too big of a deal, just a minor annoyance. Don't want to waste anytime on it if it's not even possible with that program.
Old 06-05-2013, 10:28 PM

I looked around a whole bunch and it seems in order to do this (convert DD+ to DTS) I need to have SurCode for DVD-DTS installed. Unfortunately it's $250! eek.gif They have a 14-day demo which I might check out; maybe I can do all of my HD DVDs in that time span. I'm a little surprised that there's an option there for DTS conversion (that isn't greyed out or anything) nor is there an install path in Clown BD.
FastForward; I just downloaded the SurCode program now, but how do you make it work with Clown BD? It's just a little executable without a readme or anything else with it. Clicking on the exe brings up a little window for a nano second (much too fast to actually read). I'm assuming that it gets put into the same ClownBD folder as the rest of the components like eac3to and tsMuxer, but when I try to make a BD ISO I get a window popping up saying "Surcode DTS Encoder doesn't seem to be installed ". How the heck do you "install" it? Am I missing something, maybe an additional component (I did think it was a little odd that it was nothing more than an exe and no config files)? I tried searching the web, but I'm just getting a whole bunch of unrelated garbage. TIA for any help in this matter.

Update (sort of): I just had a chance to try the .exe on a couple of other machines and it is in fact an installer for the program. They both started and went through motions of installing. Not sure what the hell is going on with my HTPC. Removed Daemon Tools Lite (had that for mounting ISOs), disabled Avast, disabled AnyDVD, and combed through all of my services and running processes. It's basically just essentials and nothing really stood out. Only other possible conflicts that I could think of are my media players: VLC, Media Monkey, and TMT5, but I wouldn't think they would halt the installation; especially if not running at all.