HD to mkv .....the options are endless!!!! - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #361 of 3740 Old 09-19-2008, 07:29 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
ya I had the freezing video too. I cant remember what was causing it. maybe I was combining the eac3 audio with the encoded movie. anywho it would play for a couple of seconds and then pause just like you said. get your audio to dts or ac3 and all is good. no worries.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 3740 Old 09-19-2008, 08:27 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

So a non compatable audio stream makes the video not play? It doesn't come up with an error, video just does move.

Is there a difference between the .DTS audio and the DD+? If it has both does it pay to convert the DD+ to .flac or just use the .dts?

Maybe I need to recheck the ones that I thought were DD+. Seems odd that I'm getting all these that don't play if other did. They should wither play or not.

Thanks for all the help. I was starting to get pissed spending all this time to rip them and then they don't play.

Hi Vindii,
Yeah the video will just freeze after a few seconds because the audio can't find a conectable filter. You can get eac3 files to play but you will need the sonic scenarist professional audio codec (I beleive this is the only direct show filter that can be used at the min, atleast until libav is finnished for general use). Converting DD+ to flac will result in a disc space penalty (DD+ is quite efficient) compared to the origional but I do this. Legacy dts is pretty good tho, depends weather you are happy with it. After all DD+ is not lossless so the difference would be fairly minimal. Upto you!!!! You can still use eac3to to do some conversions after you have demuxed the audio so you don't loose anything (as long as you keep the origional file) and then do some comparisons to see for yourself. To extract the tracks form your mkv use mkvextract, you can get it here:

http://www.bunkus.org/videotools/mkv...kvextract.html

Hope that helps you out mate.
Cheers,
Jiff.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #363 of 3740 Old 09-19-2008, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiffOrange View Post

Hi Vindii,
Yeah the video will just freeze after a few seconds because the audio can't find a conectable filter. You can get eac3 files to play but you will need the sonic scenarist professional audio codec (I beleive this is the only direct show filter that can be used at the min, atleast until libav is finnished for general use). Converting DD+ to flac will result in a disc space penalty (DD+ is quite efficient) compared to the origional but I do this. Legacy dts is pretty good tho, depends weather you are happy with it. After all DD+ is not lossless so the difference would be fairly minimal. Upto you!!!! You can still use eac3to to do some conversions after you have demuxed the audio so you don't loose anything (as long as you keep the origional file) and then do some comparisons to see for yourself. To extract the tracks form your mkv use mkvextract, you can get it here:

http://www.bunkus.org/videotools/mkv...kvextract.html

Hope that helps you out mate.
Cheers,
Jiff.

So there is really no way to make the convert the DD+ track to .flac autom atically? Seems odd that they make it convert truehd but not anything else.

So to get the highest quality sound from a disk that only has DD+ or DTS would be to convert DD+ to .flac correct?

So I might as well just rip out the main movie and the only audio track that I am going to use per your instruction in other section of the guide.
post #364 of 3740 Old 09-19-2008, 02:16 PM

dts is your best quality. or should I say best quality compatibility? Im happy with my dts 1536kbps encodes.

hey jiff ... I just figured out last night I could encode my recorded hdtv on computer with the simple d2v tool. i just load my .tp video file and voila go at it as per your tutorial! pretty cool.

is it possible to cut out commercials? what do you recommend?
post #365 of 3740 Old 09-19-2008, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vindii View Post

Well it appears that these are DD+ tracks. As you can see from the post above were I copied the track from U-571 it show 1536 kbps in the track title. They are 1536 when I play them. Doesn't look like they need to me converted to .flac to play.

I am getting alot of filesthat after I merge them together they will not play. When I open the new file I can see the video but it does not play. I can move thru the whole movie and look at scenes but they are like looking at picture they will not play. When go back to the original .mkv that was straight from the rip it plays fine (with no sound of course)

Any idea why this is happening? It has happen to alot of them lately.

Look like the ones that play right are .dts audio. I thought I had some DD+ that played but I was wrong.
post #366 of 3740 Old 09-22-2008, 07:17 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

So there is really no way to make the convert the DD+ track to .flac autom atically?

No sorry.

Quote:

So I might as well just rip out the main movie and the only audio track that I am going to use per your instruction in other section of the guide.

That is what I would do mate.

Quote:

is it possible to cut out commercials? what do you recommend?

You need to know framerate (assuming it would be ~30 fps, US right?) and the actual possitions interms of a frame number for the start and finnish of each section and then you can use the trim funtion of AVIScript to do your cutting. Then use delaycut for the audio.
Cheers,
Jiff.

post #367 of 3740 Old 09-22-2008, 02:35 PM

thanks jiff. sounds like a bit too much for just commercials. rather just encode them.
post #368 of 3740 Old 09-22-2008, 05:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRAIG198 View Post

thanks jiff. sounds like a bit too much for just commercials. rather just encode them.

But how long does it take to encode? What percentage of each recording is commercials? Just think you are using that much more processing time and hard drive space. Hard drive space = $0.13 per GB these days.
post #369 of 3740 Old 09-22-2008, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRAIG198 View Post

I use VideoRedo to clean up my OTA recordings, removing commercials, and grabbing the subchannel that I want to keep. Put that out to an mpeg file, then do my re-encode with x264 on that. If the recording is from one of the comercial networks (not PBS) then I usually knock 1/4 to 1/3 off taking out commercials.
post #370 of 3740 Old 09-23-2008, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty2k1 View Post

But how long does it take to encode? What percentage of each recording is commercials? Just think you are using that much more processing time and hard drive space. Hard drive space = $0.13 per GB these days.

nothing is cheap these days waiting for .13 cents a terrabyte
post #371 of 3740 Old 10-20-2008, 06:36 PM

I've noticed that I'm getting jagged diagonal lines in my 720p resized files. I'm using MeGUI using the settings Jiff outlined for the avisynth script and the x264 encoder. The original 1080p material is much smoother looking, so I'm thinking its something in my conversion process? Does anyone else notice this?

Thanks in advance for any clues!

Mark
post #372 of 3740 Old 10-21-2008, 03:57 PM
AVS Special Member

i didn't get very far....

Quote:
eac3to.exe "g:\\HVDVD_TS\\feature_01.EVO"+"g:\\HVDVD_TS\\feature_02.EVO" "C:\\Videos A\\1080p\\shiningHD.mkv"
-stripPulldown

EVO, 1 video track, 5 audio tracks, 3 subtitle tracks, 2:23:45
"feature"
1: Joined EVO file
2: Chapters, 41 chapters without names
3: VC-1, 1080p24 /1.001 (16:9) with pulldown flags
4: E-AC3, English, 5.1 channels, 640kbps, 48khz, dialnorm: -27dB
5: TrueHD, English, 5.1 channels, 48khz, dialnorm: -27dB
6: E-AC3, French, 5.1 channels, 640kbps, 48khz, dialnorm: -27dB
7: E-AC3, Spanish, 5.1 channels, 640kbps, 48khz, dialnorm: -27dB
8: E-AC3, English, 2.0 channels, 192kbps, 48khz, dialnorm: -27dB
"Commentary"
9: Subtitle, English, "SDH"
10: Subtitle, French
11: Subtitle, Spanish
Creating file "C:\\Videos A\\1080p\\shiningHD - Chapters.txt"...
[v03] Extracting video track number 3...
[v03] Removing VC-1 pulldown...
[v03] Muxing video to Matroska...
[v03] Getting "Haali Matroska Muxer" instance failed.
Aborted at file position 16384.

i downloaded eac3to from the link on the first page of the thread,

copied the files from the zip,

created batch file and this is the result. the same thing happens with two different discs.

i must have missed something someplace but i don't see it. what did i do wrong?
post #373 of 3740 Old 10-21-2008, 04:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Do you have Haali installed?
post #374 of 3740 Old 10-21-2008, 04:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladd View Post

Do you have Haali installed?

that install fixed the problem.

i suspected that something else needed to be installed but i didn't see that info. in the guide.

i thought i might just as well post the experience here so the guide can be improved.

thanks!
post #375 of 3740 Old 10-21-2008, 05:50 PM
AVS Special Member

i got eac3to to process The Searchers.

out of curiosity i opened the .mkv file and it plays in tmt with no audio. ok.

so, moving on to mkvmerge i chose the english audio and put in the delay.

the new .mkv that resulted just shows a blank screen in tmt.

not sure why tmt plays the first file but not the mkvmerge file. why???
post #376 of 3740 Old 10-22-2008, 04:31 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Hi oliverjg,
Can you play the file in any other directshow player i.e. MPC? If so can you play in MPC or simular using the TMT video codec? If you drop the file into Graph edit what does the filter graph tell you it is suing to decode the file? ....just to note you don't need a delay anymore due to some changes in eac3to. I'm affraid my experience with TMT hasn't been fantastic with 1080p material (720p fine) but my problems are related to the chipset I use (Intel G35).
I will update my guides to be a bit more specific (note also that the 2 ripping guides are not exclusive for either blu or HD DVD ....they are just two methods IMO). Let me know how you get on and I'll try my best to help you out.
Cheers,
Jiff.

post #377 of 3740 Old 10-22-2008, 04:42 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

I've noticed that I'm getting jagged diagonal lines in my 720p resized files. I'm using MeGUI using the settings Jiff outlined for the avisynth script and the x264 encoder. The original 1080p material is much smoother looking, so I'm thinking its something in my conversion process? Does anyone else notice this?

Thanks in advance for any clues!

Mark

Never had a problem with this myself ...you could disable the asharp settings as this is likely the problem (the filter is not so stable and I've stopped using it myself, but when it works its really good ...shame!). If you do stop using it then you will need to use one of the other resize filters to get a better/sharper picture. I use "LanczosResize" filter now because it gives a very sharp but natural looking picture. Also the choice of renderer and codec combination can have an effect, but since you have good image at 1080p but not so good at 720p (using the same player I imagine) this would seem unlikely ....worth keeping in mind tho. Also finally I have found that the CoreAVC can give a slightly blocky picture when doing encodes with it, if using meGUi then you are stuck with what it gives you unless you uninstall all other RELATED codecs i.e. ones for AVC material OR ones for MPEG-2 and just leave your preference on your system (mine is ffdshow for AVC material by the way). Hope that helps.
Cheers,
Jiff.

post #378 of 3740 Old 10-22-2008, 06:08 AM

Thanks Jiff - I'll give your suggestions a try. I was using MPC-HC to view both the original and encoded files. I'll see what happens. Thanks!

Mark
post #379 of 3740 Old 10-22-2008, 06:16 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Hi again Mark ....a further point occurs. Are you converting from one format to another i.e. VC-1 to AVC, if you are then you may very well get a different image type once rendered even though your using the same player. Also are you using the internal filters in MPC-HC or are you using other filters installed individually. For Vista you should either use the EVR or haali renders and on XP you should either use VMR9 or haali. These will give the clearest and most detailed pictures.
Cheers,
Jiff.

post #380 of 3740 Old 10-22-2008, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Hi guys, I know this thread is dedicated to HD-MKV, but could someone point me in the right direction to do SD-MKV? (I'm shooting for the x264 codec here as it seems that will give me the best image quality and smallest size). I have a couple hundred DVD's that have been ripped to my HDD in the VIDEO_TS format that contain just the main movie, no menus.

I've been to doom9, and to be quite honest I'm overwhelmed.... there is too much information for this newbie to process there.
post #381 of 3740 Old 10-22-2008, 02:23 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Hi guys, I know this thread is dedicated to HD-MKV, but could someone point me in the right direction to do SD-MKV? (I'm shooting for the x264 codec here as it seems that will give me the best image quality and smallest size). I have a couple hundred DVD's that have been ripped to my HDD in the VIDEO_TS format that contain just the main movie, no menus.

I've been to doom9, and to be quite honest I'm overwhelmed.... there is too much information for this newbie to process there.

If the video is progresive then you can use eacto as outlined in the guides altering for video folder structure. If you want an easier route then I suggest handbrake ...its pretty strait forward. Any Qs post and I'll answer also was thinking about doing this as a guide anyway ...pretty much everything to mkv.
Cheers,
Jiff.

post #382 of 3740 Old 10-22-2008, 05:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiffOrange View Post

Hi oliverjg,
Can you play the file in any other directshow player i.e. MPC? If so can you play in MPC or simular using the TMT video codec? If you drop the file into Graph edit what does the filter graph tell you it is suing to decode the file? ....just to note you don't need a delay anymore due to some changes in eac3to. I'm affraid my experience with TMT hasn't been fantastic with 1080p material (720p fine) but my problems are related to the chipset I use (Intel G35).
I will update my guides to be a bit more specific (note also that the 2 ripping guides are not exclusive for either blu or HD DVD ....they are just two methods IMO). Let me know how you get on and I'll try my best to help you out.
Cheers,
Jiff.

jiff,

both files play in mpc. no audio.

don't know how to "play in MPC or similar using the TMT video codec"...yet.

EDIT: i found where you can set external filter in mpc but I don't get any audio regardless of settings i try.

graphedit says Microsoft Mpeg-1/DD audio decoder. Searchers disk i am mucking with is dd+ 1.0.

i saw the note about delay but wasn't sure what would happen so i put the delay in. ... either it would be ignored or something would be not right. EDIT: i ran mkvmerge without setting delay with the same end result.

i just wanted to see if i could create a file with only the movie that i could play with no re-encode. right now i use tmt for bd/hd dvd on g35. it works ok for 720p, 1080i, 1080p on my setup using either .iso files or off the disc.
i will try re-encoding later.

later,

oliver
post #383 of 3740 Old 10-22-2008, 08:39 PM

Jiff - A quick test using the preview showed that the blocky diagonal lines were caused by the asharp filter. I'm running a 6 minute or so encode to 720p now so I'll see how it looks later on. I'll report back in a week or so when I'm back in town.

Thanks again -
Mark

I just checked the short video segment using my projector and it looks far better without the asharp filter. You were right about that - Thanks!
post #384 of 3740 Old 10-23-2008, 06:57 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

jiff,

both files play in mpc. no audio.

don't know how to "play in MPC or similar using the TMT video codec"...yet.

EDIT: i found where you can set external filter in mpc but I don't get any audio regardless of settings i try.

graphedit says Microsoft Mpeg-1/DD audio decoder. Searchers disk i am mucking with is dd+ 1.0.

i saw the note about delay but wasn't sure what would happen so i put the delay in. ... either it would be ignored or something would be not right. EDIT: i ran mkvmerge without setting delay with the same end result.

i just wanted to see if i could create a file with only the movie that i could play with no re-encode. right now i use tmt for bd/hd dvd on g35. it works ok for 720p, 1080i, 1080p on my setup using either .iso files or off the disc.
i will try re-encoding later.

later,

oliver

Hi Oliver,
I suspect from your post that the problem is the fact that you have used my origional batch scripting guide that only specifies a video file name as the output. As the Searches disc is DD+, eac3to doesn't know to do a conversion to a playable file type (it only does this with lossless tracks i.e. TrueHD / dts MA). In essence what you need for audio is one of DD(.ac3)/DTS(.dts)/FLAC(.flac) since there is only one dirrectshow filter currently capable of decoding DD+ and I seriously doubt that you have it installed ...this is the sonic scenarist professional encoder pack (what the movie studios use to master Blu Ray titles). To get around this have a look at guide 2 and use this instead or add an additional command to your batch file/write a new batch file for audio only using something like:

"C:\\Videos\\1080p\\searchers.ac3"

Then mux this together with your video track (no delay ....this will not create a big problem if you do but it will make the audio and video go out of sink). This should play in either TMT or MPC without any problems. Additional note on TMT ...I see you have a G35 based board, while I can get it to playback from the disc etc I was never able to get anything but a black screen with 1080p material in mkv. Works fine in Showtime and MPC/Zoom/WMP etc. Go figure. Hope that helps, anything else or if I've assumed something wrong then get back to me.
Cheers,
Jiff.

post #385 of 3740 Old 10-23-2008, 06:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks Jiff,

that got a playable file with audio in mpc.

is there a tool to re-encode to mpg file?

Oliver
post #386 of 3740 Old 10-24-2008, 02:42 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

I just checked the short video segment using my projector and it looks far better without the asharp filter. You were right about that - Thanks!

Hi Mark,
It is a shame that its so flacky ....but its not intended as a encoding filter (post processing origionally with ffdshow), I would modify it but I don't have access to the source code so there is little I can do. I'm going to get back to looking at this sometime over the next week so I should be able to find some kind of replacement but its not really that required as I'm sure you agree that the encodes already look fantastic with the LanczosResize filter . Anything else you need help with and post.
Cheers,
Jiff.

post #387 of 3740 Old 10-24-2008, 07:05 AM

Hi Jiff - yes - the LancozeResize looked really good over the few minutes of Ironman I tried! I'm going to go throught the few encodes I've done before and see about redoing them. I definitely need a faster PC!!

Thanks -
Mark
post #388 of 3740 Old 10-28-2008, 09:33 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks Jiff,

that got a playable file with audio in mpc.

is there a tool to re-encode to mpg file?

Oliver

Hi don't think that mpg will take HD material (could be wrong) so you would have to re-compress the video to SD resolutions first and then mux that back into a mpg container. Where their is a will there is a way. If you still want to do it, I could investigate.

Quote:

Hi Jiff - yes - the LancozeResize looked really good over the few minutes of Ironman I tried! I'm going to go throught the few encodes I've done before and see about redoing them. I definitely need a faster PC!!

Thanks -
Mark

No worries mate ....you and me both. Even my Q6600 still takes ~5 hours to do a two pass encode. The more cores the better.
Cheers,
Jiff.

post #389 of 3740 Old 10-28-2008, 10:57 AM

Jiff,
thank you one time more for your wonderful guide.
Can you give me a step-by-step example how to use eac3to to detect and join the file of blu-ray seamless branching movie?
post #390 of 3740 Old 10-28-2008, 11:32 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Soon I'll finally be upgrading my HTPC to play Blu-Ray movies and I'm trying to get up to speed about this MKV thing as I'd like to keep using Zoom Player to play my future Blu-Ray movies (in mkv format), however, I use SPDIF for audio as my receiver doesn't support HDMI (not doing analog either). I understand why this thread provides guidance on how to re-encode the lossless audio tracks to flac and I'd like to do that as well. Now, I do realize that spdif is limited to 2-ch lpcm. If I re-encode the lossless audio tracks to flac and use a motherboard whose on-board audio supports DD Live or DTS connect, will it automatically re-encode the audio, on the fly, to DD or DTS 5.1 and get sent out over spdif?

The reason I want to re-encode to flac is because there will come a day when I have a receiver that supports HDMI. When that day comes, I don't want to have to re-rip my blu-ray movies. Is it silly to even do what I'm thinking?

So, in short, any tips for those of us still using SPDIF, but want to do things so that when we move to hdmi, we don't have to re-rip?
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page