post #541 of 3740 Old 12-01-2008, 05:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JiffOrange View Post

Ok this could be a few things ...first the mkv that is FIRST produced by eac3to doesn't have any audio. Now you need to check what format your audio files are in? If flac, then chances are you just need to install the madflac decoder, if your files are in TrueHD/dd+/dts MA i.e. the origional format on the disc, then you need to convert then to either flac(lossless), ac3(lossy), dts(lossy) and then mux these back into the mkv with mkvmerge (and of course have the codecs to decode them on playback). If you like the idea of keeping the origional audio in the mkv i.e. DD+ then you could try and install ffdshow tryouts ...this has support for new HD formats but be warned it is not extensivly tested (unlike flac) and as such don't be suprised if you get mixed results.
Cheers,
Jiff.

hi jiff,

just a suggestion.... when i create mkv i convert main audio to flac and a 448 ac3. the ac3 can be generated from the flac like this...

eac3to.exe "D:\\Videos A\ est.flac" "D:\\Videos A\ est.ac3" -448

it takes a lot less time to add the ac3 before merge (vs create later and remerge) and mkv can have both audio streams and let you pick one at playback. the ac3 is pretty small and 448 ac3 is supported by just about any playback device (for example, wd tv hd).

also, for some movies, i put the main audio (for example, in chinese) in flac, english subs, and ac3 english dub.

to get the english dub and subs at the same time looks something like this...

eac3to.exe e: 1) 5:"D:\\Videos A\ est.ac3" 6:"D:\\Videos A\ est.sup"

IMO it is disappointing for beginner with mkv to create a file that won't play and have to do merge over.

oliver
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 3740 Old 12-01-2008, 05:41 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
So here's a question... I want to rip the audio from my Band of Brothers Blu Ray and the video from my Band of Brothers HD DVD to get the perfect file How would I figure the audio delay?
post #543 of 3740 Old 12-01-2008, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtwstr View Post

So here's a question... I want to rip the audio from my Band of Brothers Blu Ray and the video from my Band of Brothers HD DVD to get the perfect file How would I figure the audio delay?

Just out of curiosity why would you want to do that for? Why not take the audio and video from the blu-ray?
post #544 of 3740 Old 12-01-2008, 07:45 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:

Ok this could be a few things ...first the mkv that is FIRST produced by eac3to doesn't have any audio. Now you need to check what format your audio files are in? If flac, then chances are you just need to install the madflac decoder, if your files are in TrueHD/dd+/dts MA i.e. the origional format on the disc, then you need to convert then to either flac(lossless), ac3(lossy), dts(lossy) and then mux these back into the mkv with mkvmerge (and of course have the codecs to decode them on playback). If you like the idea of keeping the origional audio in the mkv i.e. DD+ then you could try and install ffdshow tryouts ...this has support for new HD formats but be warned it is not extensivly tested (unlike flac) and as such don't be suprised if you get mixed results.
Cheers,
Jiff.

I don't believe it is the madflac as I should have already had that installed. All my Blu Rays play fine, which would have also been in .flac formats. My HD DVDs are being ripped into both .flac and .ac3 files I believe.
post #545 of 3740 Old 12-01-2008, 07:45 AM
Advanced Member

The blu ray has DNR applied to the video. The HD-DVD looks better
post #546 of 3740 Old 12-01-2008, 02:56 PM

Quote:

Cheers,
Jiff.

Figured out what it is. My HD DVDs are being ripped into .eac3 files instead of .ac3 files. The ones that play had a lossless track that got ripped in .flac, while all my blu ray files are in either.ac3 or .flac. So what do I need to do to get these.eac3 files to play?
post #547 of 3740 Old 12-01-2008, 06:40 PM

Quote:

You need to install Arcsoft Total Media Theatre (TMT) to get dts Master Audio decoding ability ...currently the only filter that is capable of doing it outside of the player its associated with. You can get a free trail for ~30 days just go to their website (this can be used after the trail has expired ...if memory serves, even though the program can't). Without it libav will extract the dts "core" stream. Hope that is helpful.
Cheers,
Jiff.

OK, I have this program installed and have the latest updates and am still getting these errors. Do I need to somehow load these filters into eac3to?
post #548 of 3740 Old 12-02-2008, 03:04 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

If you decode the stream and then re-encode to flac to get lossless (which since your taking the trouble to do this you will be) then you do not need to do anything ...eac3to will remove any audio delays. Just remux them back together.
Cheers,
Jiff.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #549 of 3740 Old 12-02-2008, 03:10 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Figured out what it is. My HD DVDs are being ripped into .eac3 files instead of .ac3 files. The ones that play had a lossless track that got ripped in .flac, while all my blu ray files are in either.ac3 or .flac. So what do I need to do to get these.eac3 files to play?

ffdshow tryouts SHOULD allow you to playback these files or you alternative is to re-run the .eac3 file through eac3to again (should only take a few mins) and convert them into flac using the following:

eac3to.exe "C:\\YOUR_FOLDER\\AUDIO.eac3" "C:\\YOUR_FOLDER\\AUDIO.flac"

The reason that you are getting this problem is that you are using the batch commands and only giving eac3to a output .mkv file ...In this case eac3to will only convert lossless tracks such as TrueHD to flac automatically, with lossy files i.e.eac3/ac3 it just rips the file strait from the disc. See Guide 2 for a better method. Hope that is helpful.
Cheers,
Jiff.

post #550 of 3740 Old 12-02-2008, 03:12 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
OK, I have this program installed and have the latest updates and am still getting these errors. Do I need to somehow load these filters into eac3to?

run eac3to using:

eac3to.exe -test

this will tell you what eac3to can detect and use ...if you are using a 64 bit system then arcsoft seems to be tricky. See page 18 of the thread for details. Let me know how you get on.
Cheers,
Jiff.

post #551 of 3740 Old 12-02-2008, 03:20 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
hi jiff,

just a suggestion.... when i create mkv i convert main audio to flac and a 448 ac3. the ac3 can be generated from the flac like this...

eac3to.exe "D:\\Videos A\ est.flac" "D:\\Videos A\ est.ac3" -448

it takes a lot less time to add the ac3 before merge (vs create later and remerge) and mkv can have both audio streams and let you pick one at playback. the ac3 is pretty small and 448 ac3 is supported by just about any playback device (for example, wd tv hd).

also, for some movies, i put the main audio (for example, in chinese) in flac, english subs, and ac3 english dub.

to get the english dub and subs at the same time looks something like this...

eac3to.exe e: 1) 5:"D:\\Videos A\ est.ac3" 6:"D:\\Videos A\ est.sup"

IMO it is disappointing for beginner with mkv to create a file that won't play and have to do merge over.

oliver

Hi Oliver,
This is indeed a good idea ....my apologies to those of you who have had a spot of trouble getting this all working smoothly, it hasn't been my intention to disappoint any of you BUT their are so many things that can be done with these programs and so many outcomes that can be achieved that catering to everybody is difficult. When I wrote these guides they were primarily examples for people to follow who wanted to playback there Blu-rays/HD-DVDs without crappy commercial software such as PowerDVD and get the full audio/picture experience with the least amount of trouble. I guess things change and so should my guides to reflect this, perhapse it is time for some more updates and to change a few obviously lacking features. My apologies to all.
Cheers,
Jiff.

post #552 of 3740 Old 12-02-2008, 05:15 AM

Hi Jiff, Don't apologize, you put a lot of work into the guides, I am just getting started doing backups and the guides are great.

they are just guides, people can make the own changes, or use them any way they want.

my self, thank you very much for the work you did, it has helped my out very much.
post #553 of 3740 Old 12-02-2008, 05:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Jiff,

you have nothing to apologize for. you are helping people as-is.

suggestions are just to help. you can take them or leave them. it is your thread and you are doing just fine.

Quote:
When I wrote these guides they were primarily examples for people to follow who wanted to playback there Blu-rays/HD-DVDs without crappy commercial software such as PowerDVD and get the full audio/picture experience with the least amount of trouble.

that is why i am here.

seems like people get snagged in creating/configuring flac initially. but flac is the way to go. a secondary ac3 audio stream is just something that might help with initial debugging or alternate language ... as an optional thing like subs.

oliver
post #554 of 3740 Old 12-02-2008, 06:46 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

that is why i am here.

seems like people get snagged in creating/configuring flac initially. but flac is the way to go. a secondary ac3 audio stream is just something that might help with initial debugging or alternate language ... as an optional thing like subs.

oliver

Thanks guys encouragement always welcome ....I will rewrite some bits tho to try to avoid confusion in future. Thanks for the support and the suggestions .
Cheers,
Jiff.

post #555 of 3740 Old 12-02-2008, 08:07 AM

Quote:

I'll look into it ...I'm still using a older version. I'll post back with what I find out.
Cheers,
Jiff.

JiffOrange,

have you made any progress on this?

Thanks!
post #556 of 3740 Old 12-02-2008, 12:58 PM
MBL

Hi Jeff (or others able to answer)
I just read through your guide and decided to go with the eac3to for getting my HD disc onto my NAS server, wherefrom I will stream them to a TVIX 6500.

With test I get a few warning with NERO and such. But arcsoft is OK and I am able to rip to MKV and DTS-MA to FLAC with no errors. But when joined by mkvmerge gui I get NO SOUND at all - picture is razor sharp, so I really hope you can help me getting this right? Do I need to install NERO 7 or how do I test the flac coding? When flac is imported to mkvmerge it says nothing about dts-ma - flac file is about 5GB in size.

THANKS in advance for your inputs
Regards
Martin - Denmark
post #557 of 3740 Old 12-02-2008, 12:59 PM

Hey Jiff,

I admire your perseverance in dealing and helping everyone.

As far as the subtitles are concerned, I think I'll just have to wait for the author of suprip to update his program. He posts over at the doom9 forums and I asked him about the problem and he said its a known issue and that he's working on a better algorithm. He's also mentioned in better determining "I" from "l'' in fonts that make them look exactly the same.

For now I'll just be patient, hopefully it won't be more than a few months till it gets released.

Someone before asked about converting the .sup files to a lower resolution. This is possible but I'm not quite sure how. I believe SUPread could open the blu-ray .sup file and convert it to an HD DVD .sup file for Subtitle Creator to read. Subtitle Creator can then be used to lower the resolution of the files and put it back into a blu-ray .sup. I've tried fooling around with this but I couldn't figure it out and decided to just wait for for suprip to be updated.

I did do kill bill 1 using suprip and things worked out pretty well. I did have to do a lot of replacements of "I" for "l" using microsoft word but it wasn't that bad at all.
post #558 of 3740 Old 12-02-2008, 02:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBL View Post

Hi Jeff (or others able to answer)
I just read through your guide and decided to go with the eac3to for getting my HD disc onto my NAS server, wherefrom I will stream them to a TVIX 6500.

With test I get a few warning with NERO and such. But arcsoft is OK and I am able to rip to MKV and DTS-MA to FLAC with no errors. But when joined by mkvmerge gui I get NO SOUND at all - picture is razor sharp, so I really hope you can help me getting this right? Do I need to install NERO 7 or how do I test the flac coding? When flac is imported to mkvmerge it says nothing about dts-ma - flac file is about 5GB in size.

THANKS in advance for your inputs
Regards
Martin - Denmark

You need the madflac or ffdshow to decode flac on a PC and test the resultant mkv file. Are you certain the TVIX 6500 has multi channel flac decoding from mkv files?

My Band:

360 and PS3 owner
post #559 of 3740 Old 12-02-2008, 09:41 PM

Jiff..

You asked me to reply about the subs after I figured it out.

I was over on the doom9 forums...in the thread about an alternate sup program called SupRead (by Pelican9)

If you remember I posted last week, and one of my questions was if you or anyone else knew how to take my 1920x1080 subs and convert them to 1280x720 subs (in .sup format.)

Going through the entire thread, Pelican9 actually asked in the thread if people wanted this feature. SupRead currently has the feature to export 720 res images of the subs, but not a 720 res .sup file. Anyways, people responded yes and he said he'd get it in his next version, but since that post he was seen no more. He hasn't replied to any posts in that forum, so I'm not sure about that development.

You mentioned that it works for you, but that's because you were taking the subtitles from a bitmap format to a text format and muxing it to mkv. From there its just rendered on the fly, so there is no resolution in the subtitles cause they are text. For bluray they need to be in a bitmap format and they need to match the resolution of the video. If I tried to mux the 720p video I transcoded with the 1080p subs, the subs would not show because the area they would be rendered would be well outside of the 720p video.

I did however find a workaround. Not as easy, but it still works.

Load up the .sup file in SupRip. OCR the .sup file and save as .srt. Edit the .srt to correct any OCR issues/spelling issues. When you're satisfied with the .srt file, you can now import the .srt file into TSMuxer. So I import my video and audio file in TSMuxer, along with my .srt subtitle. You can set subtitle options in the subtitle tab in TSMuxer. I set my font to Arial. Font size 40. I set my bottom pixel offset to 36. I set TSMuxer to create a Blu-ray disk. It takes that .srt file and creates it in bluray PGS/.sup format. Loaded it up in my PS3. Works like a charm. Subtitles look great. So that is my solution to the issue until SupRead gets updated.

Quick question : eac3to requires a few different filters to encode audio. Are any of these filters required if I'm just extracting the dts/ac3 tracks or the core dts/ac3 tracks? I keep the audio in either DTS if there is a DTS track or ac3 if that's all there is for playback on bluray standalones/PS3.
post #560 of 3740 Old 12-03-2008, 04:38 AM

Quote:

run eac3to using:

eac3to.exe -test

this will tell you what eac3to can detect and use ...if you are using a 64 bit system then arcsoft seems to be tricky. See page 18 of the thread for details. Let me know how you get on.
Cheers,
Jiff.

Nero Audio Decoder doesn't seem to be installed
Arcsoft DTS Decoder is not working correctly
Sonic Audio Decoder doesn't seem to be installed
Haali Matroska Muxer is up to date
Nero AAC Encoder could not be located
Surcode DTS Encoder doesn't seem to be installed
MkvToolnix is up to date

I just uninstalled TMT and reinstalled the TM Extreme Trial Version using the directory mentioned by Jeff Flowerday on the previous page and am still getting this error, what gives? I was supposed to change the install directory, correct? I am using Vista Home 32 bit
post #561 of 3740 Old 12-03-2008, 12:27 PM
MBL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Flowerday View Post

You need the madflac or ffdshow to decode flac on a PC and test the resultant mkv file. Are you certain the TVIX 6500 has multi channel flac decoding from mkv files?

Thanks for your reply. No I dont think the TVIX can decode flac from mkv. It can bitstream dts-ma, so how would you suggest I rip dts-ma then from HD DVD/Bluray. Storage is a non issue.

I have used tsremux, but have only had luck with blurays with Dolby trueHD, which plays of fine as m2ts/ts files.

Thanks in advance.
Martin - denmark.
post #562 of 3740 Old 12-03-2008, 02:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBL View Post

Thanks for your reply. No I dont think the TVIX can decode flac from mkv. It can bitstream dts-ma, so how would you suggest I rip dts-ma then from HD DVD/Bluray. Storage is a non issue.

I have used tsremux, but have only had luck with blurays with Dolby trueHD, which plays of fine as m2ts/ts files.

Thanks in advance.
Martin - denmark.

I don't think there is any way you can rip it and have it work on your TVIX, sorry. Converting to LPCM audio might be your only option if you want to stay with mkv containers.

I think your TVIX is going to force you to stay with m2ts containers.

1) Hardware decoding
2) Bitstreaming the advanced audio codecs

I dumped my popcorn hour for a HTPC and I couldn't be happier. m2ts containers were a nightmare on the HTPC but mkv containers work very very well. The rich/fast user interface of MediaPortal was the final kick in the bag for the popcorn hour.

My Band:

360 and PS3 owner
post #563 of 3740 Old 12-03-2008, 06:08 PM
Advanced Member

Huh... I was considering dumping my HTPC for a Popcorn Hour! I guess I need to re-evaluate!
post #564 of 3740 Old 12-03-2008, 06:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtwstr View Post

Huh... I was considering dumping my HTPC for a Popcorn Hour! I guess I need to re-evaluate!

Popcorn hour worked well with m2ts containers with pcm audio. That I can give it. It was hit and miss with some of the other HD audio formats.

My biggest gripe is the interface, my collection is too large to live with the interface. Even the latest iHome jukebox option isn't fast enough for me.

Moving to a HTPC with mkv and flac for lossless has saved me space and worked exceptionally well. Added bonus is the ffdshow upconversion I'm now doing on my SD DVDs, it's exceptional.

My Band:

360 and PS3 owner
post #565 of 3740 Old 12-04-2008, 02:56 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks in advance.
Martin - denmark.

Hi you could reprocess the title and use a series of commands such as these to get what you require:

eac3to.exe D: 1) 1:"C:\\Your_folder\\chapters.txt" 2:"C:\\Your_folder\\Your_Movie.mkv" 3::"C:\\Your_folder\\Your_Movie.dtshd"

This would give you a dts MA or dts HD track depending on what your source is and this can be muxed back into the mkv using mkvmerge. This will work on a PC but it will depend on how TVIX detects the streams ...it may be that it will not expect anything from a mkv container and in that case I think you will be stuck either using regular old DD/dts or m2ts containers. Let me know if it works, would be interested.
Cheers,
Jiff.

post #566 of 3740 Old 12-04-2008, 03:12 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Nero Audio Decoder doesn't seem to be installed
Arcsoft DTS Decoder is not working correctly
Sonic Audio Decoder doesn't seem to be installed
Haali Matroska Muxer is up to date
Nero AAC Encoder could not be located
Surcode DTS Encoder doesn't seem to be installed
MkvToolnix is up to date

I just uninstalled TMT and reinstalled the TM Extreme Trial Version using the directory mentioned by Jeff Flowerday on the previous page and am still getting this error, what gives? I was supposed to change the install directory, correct? I am using Vista Home 32 bit

You shouldn't be having this problem on a 32 bit system, on 64 bit you have to use a workaround to get things to work. You need to install TMT on your system drive i.e. C, if you don't then eac3to will not pick it up. Do a standard install with standard settings and you should be golden. I honestly don't know why you are getiing this problem ...I've never seen anything like it. I'm using the 32 bit version of Windows server 2008 (same kernal as vista) and this will not even run TMT but it still is able to use its filters with TMT. This is likely to be something obvious. Let me know if you get no where and I'll investiagte.
Cheers,
Jiff.

post #567 of 3740 Old 12-04-2008, 04:38 AM

Quote:

You shouldn't be having this problem on a 32 bit system, on 64 bit you have to use a workaround to get things to work. You need to install TMT on your system drive i.e. C, if you don't then eac3to will not pick it up. Do a standard install with standard settings and you should be golden. I honestly don't know why you are getiing this problem ...I've never seen anything like it. I'm using the 32 bit version of Windows server 2008 (same kernal as vista) and this will not even run TMT but it still is able to use its filters with TMT. This is likely to be something obvious. Let me know if you get no where and I'll investiagte.
Cheers,
Jiff.

I uninstalled and reinstalled 4 times last night and nothing seemed to work. I'm using the version of Total Media Extreme that came with my Hauppauge HD PVR instead of the trial version of TMT, but I don't think that should matter since it still has TMT included. Is there a link to download the trial of TMT so I can try that?

Also, what version should I be using?
post #568 of 3740 Old 12-04-2008, 06:44 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

I uninstalled and reinstalled 4 times last night and nothing seemed to work. I'm using the version of Total Media Extreme that came with my Hauppauge HD PVR instead of the trial version of TMT, but I don't think that should matter since it still has TMT included. Is there a link to download the trial of TMT so I can try that?

Also, what version should I be using?

No they have taken the downoad link down (only "buy" link now). I'm running version 1.26 ...I can supply you with it if you would like. PM me with a suitable address (file size is ~90MB) if you want it. This gives you ~30 days trail before it expires but I think (don't quote me on this) the filter for audio stays active after the software has expired.
Cheers,
Jiff.

post #569 of 3740 Old 12-04-2008, 06:45 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

JiffOrange,

have you made any progress on this?

Thanks!

Will do a run tonight with Band of Brothers and get back to you with my findings.... sorry for the late reply but been really ill.
Cheers,
Jiff.

post #570 of 3740 Old 12-04-2008, 06:48 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Jiff..

You asked me to reply about the subs after I figured it out.

I was over on the doom9 forums...in the thread about an alternate sup program called SupRead (by Pelican9)

If you remember I posted last week, and one of my questions was if you or anyone else knew how to take my 1920x1080 subs and convert them to 1280x720 subs (in .sup format.)

Going through the entire thread, Pelican9 actually asked in the thread if people wanted this feature. SupRead currently has the feature to export 720 res images of the subs, but not a 720 res .sup file. Anyways, people responded yes and he said he'd get it in his next version, but since that post he was seen no more. He hasn't replied to any posts in that forum, so I'm not sure about that development.

You mentioned that it works for you, but that's because you were taking the subtitles from a bitmap format to a text format and muxing it to mkv. From there its just rendered on the fly, so there is no resolution in the subtitles cause they are text. For bluray they need to be in a bitmap format and they need to match the resolution of the video. If I tried to mux the 720p video I transcoded with the 1080p subs, the subs would not show because the area they would be rendered would be well outside of the 720p video.

I did however find a workaround. Not as easy, but it still works.

Load up the .sup file in SupRip. OCR the .sup file and save as .srt. Edit the .srt to correct any OCR issues/spelling issues. When you're satisfied with the .srt file, you can now import the .srt file into TSMuxer. So I import my video and audio file in TSMuxer, along with my .srt subtitle. You can set subtitle options in the subtitle tab in TSMuxer. I set my font to Arial. Font size 40. I set my bottom pixel offset to 36. I set TSMuxer to create a Blu-ray disk. It takes that .srt file and creates it in bluray PGS/.sup format. Loaded it up in my PS3. Works like a charm. Subtitles look great. So that is my solution to the issue until SupRead gets updated.

Quick question : eac3to requires a few different filters to encode audio. Are any of these filters required if I'm just extracting the dts/ac3 tracks or the core dts/ac3 tracks? I keep the audio in either DTS if there is a DTS track or ac3 if that's all there is for playback on bluray standalones/PS3.

Thanks for the update, nice work, I'll update guides with PS3 specific stuff ....no you don't need additional filters for ac3/dts these are covered under libav which ships with eac3to (as are TrueHD & DD+).

I HAVE UPDATED THE FIRST GUIDE TO BRING IT MORE IN LINE WITH CURRENT METHODOLOGY ....ANY POINTS ETC THAT YOU THINK COULD BE BENAFICIAL POINT THEM OUT AND I'LL ADD THEM.

Cheers,
Jiff.

Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page