Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #31 of 3740 Old 05-30-2008, 04:32 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for putting the time into writing this guide. My only suggestion to make it better would be to link to higher resolution screengrabs; I had a little trouble reading some of the text (but then again it could be my 1920x1440 monitor)

I'm trying this with Blood Diamond HD-DVD now and so far the results are looking promising.

Thanks,

Erik

RGB

CRT Forever
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 3740 Old 05-31-2008, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiffOrange View Post

A fair bit better than that me thinks.....I'm also working with other algorithms to greatly increase output quality and making some really good ground so stay tuned (I've been able to remove all the artifacts created using bicubic (even tho they are few and far between) and sharpen the image emmensly ).

Jiff, I may be assuming a little, but when I spoke about "comparable to upconverted SD DVD", I was speaking about pjavan's plans to "convert blu-ray to divx"--something which I perceive as VASTLY DIFFERENT from what you are doing in this guide. If it was pjavan's plan all along to follow your guide (or a similar process) to get to divx, then that's where I may have made a wrong assumption, but his statement didn't give me that impression. So my comment was made in the hopes of dissuading him from compressing the crap out of his HD material just to save a few GBs...

Heck he has 4TB!!!!!! I don't know what he is worried about--I'm still puttering along with a measly 1.25TB on my server!

Alas, I tried adding the external filter from PDVD7 in MPC-HC, and set to "prefer", and although it then played *much* better, it still was a little jumpy, and my CPU Util was still pegging, so does not appear to be using hw. I still have the iso on my hard drive and that plays back perfectly in PDVD (which is using the same decoder, right???) What the heck is going on???

I just ripped Bourne Ultimatum from HDDVD. I had temporarily given up on HDDVD because of the problems I had with 300, but I tried again, and it seems to have worked great. It was VC-1, so everything seems to be working with hw-decode except h.264 right?
post #33 of 3740 Old 05-31-2008, 11:49 AM

Jiff

Thanks for the guide and all of your previous help in getting me up and running making .mkv files from my blu-rays. After a little practice it is now pretty easy.

But......

I'm thinking of buying a Vista Media Center Extender for a second room. As I understand it .mkv files won't play on an extender.
From what I've read .ts and .avi files will play on extenders.

I would like to know if anybody has had any luck muxing their Blu-rays to .ts or .avi files and getting them play on their MCE extenders.

Thanks for all the help

ballenjr
post #34 of 3740 Old 06-02-2008, 07:28 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

In my opinion 2 steps is much easier to follow than 20 pages worth of instructions.

1) Start AnyDVD ripper and press "Copy DVD"
2) Drag and drop the largest M2TS file from AnyDVD ripped folder into TS Muxer and select video and audio stream) and press "Start remuxing" to TS.

Whala... double click the TS file to play it in any player (or load it into any commercial software that supports HD... I like the idea of .TS file support in pretty much all HD apps. MKV is hit or miss.

While I do admit that its alot easier to do what you are suggesting (I even do this sometimes for a quick HD Fix!) .....but I think you have missed the point, the whole idea is that we don't want to have to use commercial players which downres sound, insist on HDCP, will not playback discs for any number of reasons etc. Using mkv gives most of the options that we want i.e. flexability to do what we want with the files, use directshow capable players such as MPC or Zoom, one click solutions for archieving, saving on HD space with minimal loss in quality. Hope that clears it up for you.
Cheers,
Jiff.
post #35 of 3740 Old 06-02-2008, 07:43 AM

Hey Jiff

I'm still having trouble re-encoding. Here is my last post:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...6#post13981066

I'm really bewildered at this point.
post #36 of 3740 Old 06-02-2008, 07:52 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Jiff

I tried reinstalling avisynth to the E: drive and still no luck.

I've noticed that my graphedit window looks different from yours, the boxes aren't colored blue and green. And when I click play, it gives me a catastrophic error:

Here it is:

What could be happening?

Thanks Jiff! I'm so close!

This used to happen alot back in the day when the support for mkv was first introduced into haali but I have not seen it in a while, the problem it would seem is that haali is not splitting the mkv properly hence the WMVideo DMO is not being piped any info.....do you know what version you are using? Their are a few things you can do to try and narrow down the problem but I think we have found the encoding culprit :
1. If you drag and drop your file into mkv (and let it compile a filter graph for you automatically) does a complient graph form/can you play the video? If so it may be an idea to delete each of the codecs from the graph except the haali splitter with your file loaded and then manually add the WMVideo DMO yourself and join manually.
2. In addition can you play the file in MPC or simular? If not (check filter list and sys tray for haali) or if you get a radically different set of filters in when you drop the file into graphedit your system may be configured not to use haali for splitting mkv (could be using an internal splitter in MPC or Gabest). I'm not entirely sure that it would make a differance since I'm not that familiar with how haali deals with containers but its certainly plausable.
3. Have you tried with any other videos? Do you get the same problem with AVC and haali or is it just VC-1 material.
4. If all else fails you can use gabest matroska splitter in the place of haali, and just follow the instructions as before. you can get it from here:

http://www.inmatrix.com/zplayer/formats/matroska.shtml

5. Re-install haali and make sure that it is the default for matroska files and all others are disabled.

Hope that helps.....let me know how you get on, I'm intregued as to why you have got this problem and deturmined to help you solve it. Oh quick update, I have almost finnished test with new resizing/sharpening/mosquito noise reduction algorithms and they are a cut above so watch this space.
Cheers,
Jiff.
post #37 of 3740 Old 06-02-2008, 08:06 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

I'm thinking of buying a Vista Media Center Extender for a second room. As I understand it .mkv files won't play on an extender.
From what I've read .ts and .avi files will play on extenders.

I would like to know if anybody has had any luck muxing their Blu-rays to .ts or .avi files and getting them play on their MCE extenders.

Hi ballenjr,
As I understand it you either need to hack the registary or change file name of mkv to avi to get VMC to recognise and play matroska but its possible and works quite well from what I've heard (but not seen it first hand cos I don't use VMC ...I'm still using XP)!
If you decide to go the ts route then TsMuxer will do the job for you. Their is a post on the last page about it.

Hi gtfoltz,
Quote:

Alas, I tried adding the external filter from PDVD7 in MPC-HC, and set to "prefer", and although it then played *much* better, it still was a little jumpy, and my CPU Util was still pegging, so does not appear to be using hw. I still have the iso on my hard drive and that plays back perfectly in PDVD (which is using the same decoder, right???) What the heck is going on???

I just ripped Bourne Ultimatum from HDDVD. I had temporarily given up on HDDVD because of the problems I had with 300, but I tried again, and it seems to have worked great. It was VC-1, so everything seems to be working with hw-decode except h.264 right?

Yeah it does seem that avc is causing your system problems ....cyberlink deff supports HA and yes you are correct in PowerDVD it is the same codec. Its possible that in MPC that HA is deactivated as default (don't really use it myself...had problems with using it with ac3filter (but I will have a look when I get chance and report back)). It may be as simple as opening up the config menu in MPC (double click on the cyberlink filter in the filter list) and their will likely be a HA check box....worth a shot. Let me know how you get on, I will try to do a little research to find you a solution.
Cheers,
Jiff.
post #38 of 3740 Old 06-02-2008, 12:30 PM

Jiff,
What are you using as the decoder for AVC? I tried CoreAVC and that didn't do it for me, just gave me a zero kb MKV output file.

xbox 360 GT = stickydpaul
PSN = stickydpaul
post #39 of 3740 Old 06-02-2008, 02:58 PM

Jiff,
Thanks for the guide! I used it to successfully create MKV files from a couple of HD DVD ISO files I have on my hard drive. They play perfectly on my Vista machine in both WMP 11 and Vista media center.

The same MKV files I created on my Vista system also play fine on my XP machine in both WMP 11 and XP MCE. However, on the XP machine the audio is horribly out of sync with the video. Video plays smooth, audio is way ahead of the video with occasional drop outs.

My XP machine may be under powered for the task:
160 gig 5400 rpm HD
2 gigs ram
Intel 965 chipset with built in graphics
Intel core 2 duo T7100 cpu (1.8 ghz)
ffdshow
madflac
haali media splitter

Any thoughts on what I might have done wrong?

Thanks, Rue
post #40 of 3740 Old 06-02-2008, 03:41 PM
AVS Special Member

What codec is that? I didn't get AVC files to play smoothly with G965 and a 2.6GHz Core 2 Duo with FFDshow, though it's possible I did something horribly wrong.

I used MPC-HC's default filter and things went much better, but only with a separate audio card-- the onboard audio drivers from Sigmatel/IDT made the video choppy.

I do not speak officially in any sense for
Intel Corp., Technology Manufacturing Group
but I do work there.
post #41 of 3740 Old 06-02-2008, 04:42 PM

Great guide. Like many others here, I'm probably not going to use this because it's very unwieldy and time consuming for most of us, especially those who aren't that tech savy.

However, I figure it's only a matter of time before someone comes up with a program that makes this easier. So what I'm wondering is what is the best way to store the files on the hard drive for now. I've been ripping my dozen or so Blu-rays with full protection to my hard drive as an .iso. I then mount and load anydvd when i want to play them. If a new program comes along, will I be able to simply mount this and rip it from the computer in a new format? I thought I would be able to since the file is basically an exact match of a blu-ray disc.
post #42 of 3740 Old 06-02-2008, 10:47 PM

Quote:

Yeah it does seem that avc is causing your system problems ....cyberlink deff supports HA and yes you are correct in PowerDVD it is the same codec. Its possible that in MPC that HA is deactivated as default (don't really use it myself...had problems with using it with ac3filter (but I will have a look when I get chance and report back)). It may be as simple as opening up the config menu in MPC (double click on the cyberlink filter in the filter list) and their will likely be a HA check box....worth a shot. Let me know how you get on, I will try to do a little research to find you a solution.
Cheers,
Jiff.

Jiff, I uninstalled ffdshow, coreavc, directvobsub, Haali, and everything else codec-related I could find on my machine except PDVD Ultra 7. I tried adding the "Cyberlink H.264 decoder", set to "prefer", and double-clicked to get the properties--only thing that looked like a reference to hardware acceleration was a "Use DxVA" checkbox, which was already checked.

I ended up reinstalling Haali and DirectVobSub cause I think I want them (?), but they are not making any difference. I'm using MPC-HC but I did download MPC 6490, which I can try if you think it might make a difference. I've also tried Zoom Player, but I don't like the interface, it wasn't working with HA any more than MPC, and it puked out the occasional error, so I uninstalled that too.

Looks like there are a few threads popping up of people having a hard time getting HA working on their MKV files. Guess I'm not alone in my suffering. Of course, even with HA working, I am have my biggest problem--how to make my mkv's appear as "movies" to Vista Media Center and MyMovies. I think MM only supports VIDEO_TS folders and ISOs...
post #43 of 3740 Old 06-03-2008, 03:26 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Jiff, I uninstalled ffdshow, coreavc, directvobsub, Haali, and everything else codec-related I could find on my machine except PDVD Ultra 7. I tried adding the "Cyberlink H.264 decoder", set to "prefer", and double-clicked to get the properties--only thing that looked like a reference to hardware acceleration was a "Use DxVA" checkbox, which was already checked.

Yes that is the one ...."DxVA" stands for DirectX Video Acceleration and is a Microsoft API specification that allows video decoding to be hardware accelerated. The pipeline allows certain CPU-intensive operations such as iDCT, motion compensation, deinterlacing and color correction to be offloaded to the GPU. Sorry mate I'm at a loss at the mo about this, I use G35 so for AVC I always have to do software decodes (cyberlinks decoder also didn't play nice with some other decoders causing stutters etc, but I know mu CPU had headroom which yours hasn't). I'm not going to give up tho ....I'll see if I can figure out why its not being implimented properly (obviously is in PowerDVD) in directshow apps and their is no reason that it shouldn't. Could be the output mode, powerDVD exclusivly uses overlay but I doubt it. All I can suggest at this point is to re-encode to 720p to reduce hardware requirements or use the origional ISO/m2ts file in powerDVD until we can find a solution. Sorry dude. You do need Haali to split mkv files and DirectVobSub for subtitles if you use them. I'll keep you posted on any progress and you do the same .....time to concentrate on VC-1 Mpeg 2 for the time being.
Cheers,
Jiff.
post #44 of 3740 Old 06-03-2008, 03:34 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

What are you using as the decoder for AVC? I tried CoreAVC and that didn't do it for me, just gave me a zero kb MKV output file.

I have used coreAVC/cyberlink h264/ffshow (make sure AVC decoding is activated before trying to use ffshow) decoders without incident (coreAVC gives best results).....sound to me like their is a error somewhere in the chain that is preventing all apps talking to each other (spelling mistake, missing a period between an argument in avs script etc). When you set it going do you just get a screen flash at you and then close immediatly?
Cheers,
Jiff.
post #45 of 3740 Old 06-03-2008, 03:41 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Great guide. Like many others here, I'm probably not going to use this because it's very unwieldy and time consuming for most of us, especially those who aren't that tech savy.

However, I figure it's only a matter of time before someone comes up with a program that makes this easier. So what I'm wondering is what is the best way to store the files on the hard drive for now. I've been ripping my dozen or so Blu-rays with full protection to my hard drive as an .iso. I then mount and load anydvd when i want to play them. If a new program comes along, will I be able to simply mount this and rip it from the computer in a new format? I thought I would be able to since the file is basically an exact match of a blu-ray disc.

Hi the best way would be an ISO as you do (personally I would rip the protection as I make the ISO but thats personal pref) or as origional files/folders if you want to preserve the disc as a whole, alternativly if you just want the main movie and referance soundtrack then remux with TsMuxer to a new m2ts file. In essence tho you can just treat the ripped ISO as a disc and use as you would a disc.
Regarding a "easier" method ....I'm working on a guide with MeGUI for all the guys and girls having trouble (not the way I like to do it but still if it helps people then so be it!) with all this file linking, script writing guff. Next few days .....
Cheers,
Jiff.
post #46 of 3740 Old 06-03-2008, 03:56 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

The same MKV files I created on my Vista system also play fine on my XP machine in both WMP 11 and XP MCE. However, on the XP machine the audio is horribly out of sync with the video. Video plays smooth, audio is way ahead of the video with occasional drop outs.

Hi baringer,
Your mkv files are fine ...a file is just that and contains the same info regardless of OS ....it sound like a filter/decoder problem on your XP setup i.e. I found that ac3filter and both cyberlink h264/WMVideo DMO caused a simular problem. Use the external filters in the options menu of MPC to block, set merits, prefer certain decoders filters till you have something that works well for you (possibly use the same filter/decoders as your Vista system.....). Post a screen shot and a list of filters/decoders your system is using if you need help. Alternativly you could be correct about the system 1.8 Ghz ain't so high but that will be codec dependant (like archibael says, because AVC without HA requires alot of juice). You say HD DVD which most are VC-1 so it shouldn't be a problem, if you are using VC-1 you need to be using the WMVideo DMO for decoding also and not ffshow.
Hope that helps.
Cheers,
Jiff.
post #47 of 3740 Old 06-03-2008, 05:05 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Hi gtfoltz,
Got an update for you and it seems the renderer is the issue .....I see you are using vista and an ATI card, for DxVA to work with cyberlink (or any HA compiant codec) you must use EVR renderer (options -> output) in Vista (this doesn't support subs tho, I seem to remeber) or VMR9 in XP. Let me know how that works out.
Cheers,
Jiff.
post #48 of 3740 Old 06-03-2008, 08:00 PM

If you are talking about selecting EVR in MPC--I already tried that (and just about every other output option) including system default, VMR9 (windowed and renderless), Haali's Video Renderer, EVR (Vista / .Net3) and EVR Custom Pres. As I recall, both Haali and EVR had the least stuttering--National Treasure was almost watchable--but in both cases, CPU Util was very high, and obviously not using HA.

At this point, I think I might just try to install the K-Lite codec pack you mentioned. I have nothing to lose at this point with all the other stuff I've had to install/uninstall...

Yes, I still have the ISO's for the discs I've ripped, and that is what I am using for now, but I don't have enough space to do that for much longer. On the bright side, my beautiful wife let me get a 750GB hard drive for my bday, which will bring my unRAID server up to 2TB, so that will give me a little more breathing room to get this figured out...

UPDATE: I don't know how, cause I didn't change anything since last night, but HA is now working with my mkv files in MPC-HC!!!! I just finished Rambo, and decided to try it--I guess I'm a glutton for punishment--and it played fine. Well, I thought, maybe it's one of those movies that is easy to decode, so I threw my problem-child in there, Alvin and the Chipmunks, and DAMN if my CPU Util pegged a couple times at 40%, but was usually well under 10%!!!!!

UPDATE ON THE UPDATE: It keeps getting better. Not only are the mkv's playing in MPC--they also appear to be playing in VMC WITH HA!!!! Now I really can get rid of my Bluray and HD-DVD ISOs, and go straight to mkv. Even better is I am now avoiding the very lengthy and visually unappealling process when MyMovies launches PDVD! I thought MyMovies would puke trying to add a Bluray title in a folder that only contains a mkv file, but it is working fine!

Considering I also appear to have fixed the problem I've been having getting my HTPC into S3 (since upgrading to Vista) with a new version of MST, this has been one helluva good day!

IT'S A FRIGGIN' BIRTHDAY MIRACLE!!!!!!!
post #49 of 3740 Old 06-04-2008, 04:07 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
UPDATE: I don't know how, cause I didn't change anything since last night, but HA is now working with my mkv files in MPC-HC!!!! I just finished Rambo, and decided to try it--I guess I'm a glutton for punishment--and it played fine. Well, I thought, maybe it's one of those movies that is easy to decode, so I threw my problem-child in there, Alvin and the Chipmunks, and DAMN if my CPU Util pegged a couple times at 40%, but was usually well under 10%!!!!!

UPDATE ON THE UPDATE: It keeps getting better. Not only are the mkv's playing in MPC--they also appear to be playing in VMC WITH HA!!!! Now I really can get rid of my Bluray and HD-DVD ISOs, and go straight to mkv. Even better is I am now avoiding the very lengthy and visually unappealling process when MyMovies launches PDVD! I thought MyMovies would puke trying to add a Bluray title in a folder that only contains a mkv file, but it is working fine!

Considering I also appear to have fixed the problem I've been having getting my HTPC into S3 (since upgrading to Vista) with a new version of MST, this has been one helluva good day!

IT'S A FRIGGIN' BIRTHDAY MIRACLE!!!!!!!

Glad everything is working for you now (may want to take a note of your settings for future reference , could have been that for changes to take effect you have to restart MPC but who knows)....got some good news for you too, was having a play with meGUI last night and think I've got some good settings for all you folks that don't like command. I'll do an encode tonigh and take some screens and post.
happy birthday mate.
Cheers,
Jiff.
post #50 of 3740 Old 06-04-2008, 04:44 AM

Jiff

A great and comprehensive guide!
Can I be a git and ask if you could supply something like this for blue-ray for us total gimps!
I am sure we would all be forever greatful!

Bc.
post #51 of 3740 Old 06-04-2008, 04:51 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
A great and comprehensive guide!
Can I be a git and ask if you could supply something like this for blue-ray for us total gimps!
I am sure we would all be forever greatful!

Already working on it ....but to be fair the only differance between the two is the path structure when pointing eac3to to your BD file(s). So give it a try (I included an example is stage one of a BD style path ). The Blu guide will cover some more advanced options but I will include all relevent examples for paths etc. Hope that helps.
Cheers,
Jiff.
post #52 of 3740 Old 06-04-2008, 05:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Already working on it ....but to be fair the only differance between the two is the path structure when pointing eac3to to your BD file(s). So give it a try (I included an example is stage one of a BD style path ). The Blu guide will cover some more advanced options but I will include all relevent examples for paths etc. Hope that helps.
Cheers,
Jiff.

I tried following your instructions on a BluRay rip of Rescue Dawn last evening ... seems to have worked and an mkv file has appeared (have not tried playing it yet) but there is no reduction in size as such --- the mkv file is over 30Gb! Is this to be expected?

Thx!
post #53 of 3740 Old 06-04-2008, 05:46 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
I tried following your instructions on a BluRay rip of Rescue Dawn last evening ... seems to have worked and an mkv file has appeared (have not tried playing it yet) but there is no reduction in size as such --- the mkv file is over 30Gb! Is this to be expected?

If you just used eac3to then yes that is what you get ...untouched video. To reduce the size you have to do the x264 re-encode (lower bitrates, resolution reduction etc).
Hope that helps,
Cheers,
Jiff.
post #54 of 3740 Old 06-04-2008, 05:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

If you just used eac3to then yes that is what you get ...untouched video. To reduce the size you have to do the x264 re-encode (lower bitrates, resolution reduction etc).
Hope that helps,
Cheers,
Jiff.

Got it! Thx!
post #55 of 3740 Old 06-04-2008, 06:35 AM

Jiff I think you are on to something. I restarted MPC many many times, but perhaps a Windows restart was required to really change the default decoders? (I had used a "Vista Mediacenter Decoder Utility" that I found to supposedly change the default encoders for Windows) I usually just put my HTPC into S3 sleep, but had just restarted for some Windows updates.

I am very interested to see what you have come up with for meGUI. I feel like I have a pretty straightforward process using eac3to (with chapters) and mkvmerge--the only thing I am missing is the option to keep english subtitles. Other than that, I think I am just going to keep the full 1080p video--hard disk space keeps getting cheaper, and re-encoding it a lot of work for something I might regret once I get a 1080p projector.

Thanks again. I would never be this far along without your help (and moral support... )
post #56 of 3740 Old 06-04-2008, 08:36 AM

Quote:

I have used coreAVC/cyberlink h264/ffshow (make sure AVC decoding is activated before trying to use ffshow) decoders without incident (coreAVC gives best results).....sound to me like their is a error somewhere in the chain that is preventing all apps talking to each other (spelling mistake, missing a period between an argument in avs script etc). When you set it going do you just get a screen flash at you and then close immediatly?
Cheers,
Jiff.

I got it working finally. I was doing something so stupid that I won't even post it for fear of being ostricized forever from the HTPC forum.

xbox 360 GT = stickydpaul
PSN = stickydpaul
post #57 of 3740 Old 06-04-2008, 09:09 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Jiff I think you are on to something. I restarted MPC many many times, but perhaps a Windows restart was required to really change the default decoders? (I had used a "Vista Mediacenter Decoder Utility" that I found to supposedly change the default encoders for Windows) I usually just put my HTPC into S3 sleep, but had just restarted for some Windows updates.

I am very interested to see what you have come up with for meGUI. I feel like I have a pretty straightforward process using eac3to (with chapters) and mkvmerge--the only thing I am missing is the option to keep english subtitles. Other than that, I think I am just going to keep the full 1080p video--hard disk space keeps getting cheaper, and re-encoding it a lot of work for something I might regret once I get a 1080p projector.

Thanks again. I would never be this far along without your help (and moral support... )

I will get subs posted soon, along with everything else .....was thinking the same with the projector but I've only had my 720p a year and can't really justify replacing it so decided to go 720p route because my 1.25 TB is fast reducing (even now with mostly 720 encodes ). Thanks for your appreciation ....Its been my pleasure mate.

Quote:

I got it working finally. I was doing something so stupid that I won't even post it for fear of being ostricized forever from the HTPC forum.

Glad to hear it ....no worries "geeks" can be mean , oh no he didn't
post #58 of 3740 Old 06-04-2008, 09:48 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
JiffOrange, I really hate to rain on your parade; since I know you're obviously very excited; and, I'm sincerely happy you have found something that works best for your needs; and for other people who wish not to spend any money on extra software who have extra time to spare.

But, I do feel like I need to clear up some stuff for people reading this thread who might not have a whole lot of experience working with directshow filters, blu-ray, and... most important of all.. can afford to buy 2 popular commercial software.. a software blu-ray player and AnyDVD-HD.

I dont mean to state the obvious (and it may not be so obvious to some people), but you can do everything you can in a simple 2 step method (mentioned again in last paragraph of this post) verses the 15-20 page process you outlined in the first post; except, again, you need to buy a couple of pieces of popular software. After all, both methods create just containers. Its just the process it takes to get to these container and software support for these containers.

Quote:

the whole idea is that we don't want to have to use commercial players which downres sound

The 2 step process I mentioned doesnt downres sound; in fact, it keeps the full integrity of the original audio stream. It's depends which commercial software you buy to get the quality of audio you want.

Quote:

insist on HDCP

Step #1 takes care of that.

Quote:

will not playback discs for any number of reasons

Step #1 takes care of that was well.

Quote:

Using mkv gives most of the options that we want i.e. flexability to do what we want with the files

Not only is that not true, its quite the opposite, you have more flexibility to playback .ts files on machines in general because of the support you get on 3rd party apps (commercial or not). For example, its a struggle to get hardware acceleration to work with MKV avc/vc1 files. Look how happy you got when you finally got this to work This is no big deal for .TS AVC/VC1 files; in most cases, just installing PDVD and double clicking the file, and it'll playback with HWVA in windows media player (as long as you have a relatively recent display adapter and respective display driver). Another example, a hardware device like SageTV's extender already supports .ts AVC/VC1 builtin.

Quote:

use directshow capable players such as MPC or Zoom

You can do the same with TS files created in the 2 step process I mentioned.

Quote:

one click solutions for archieving

I'm not sure what you mean here, but I doubt its anything specific to what an MKV file can do that a TS file cant.

Quote:

saving on HD space with minimal loss in quality

You can't save any more disk space with the process you mentioned unless you are planning on guaranteeing video and/or audio quality loss. Presuming the source is blu-ray... its already extremely compressed with state of the art compression. It wouldnt make sense to ruin the original integrity of the video/audio stream with another generation of encode. This is more relevant for people who have large 1080p displays.

Quote:

While I do admit that its alot easier to do what you are suggesting (I even do this sometimes for a quick HD Fix!) .....but I think you have missed the point, the whole idea is that we don't want to have to use commercial players which downres sound, insist on HDCP, will not playback discs for any number of reasons etc. Using mkv gives most of the options that we want i.e. flexability to do what we want with the files, use directshow capable players such as MPC or Zoom, one click solutions for archieving, saving on HD space with minimal loss in quality. Hope that clears it up for you.
Cheers,
Jiff.

2 Step process:
1) Start AnyDVD ripper and press "Copy DVD"
2) Drag and drop the largest M2TS file from AnyDVD ripped folder into TS Muxer and select video and audio streams) and press "Start remuxing" to TS.

Whala... double click the TS file to play it in any directshow player (or load it into any commercial software that supports HD

Can your HTPC Media Center / DVR Do this??

SageTV: Unrestricted full-quality 12 tuner HD Premium Cable recording, including "On Demand" in HD + OTA ATSC + DVB-S2 + Blu-ray/HD-DVD serving 5 clients.
post #59 of 3740 Old 06-04-2008, 11:01 PM

mkanet, first off, thanks for your help and ideas on my PM. Second, I really think you are missing the point of his guide. Your method requires not only money, but the *use* of that software as well. Yes, PDVD plays .ts files with HA, and doesn't support MKV. But I had just as hard a time getting .ts files to play with HA in other players as with MKV files--like you said, it was a filter problem, not an inherent superiority of .ts or deficiency of mkv. And frankly, PDVD is so big and clunky that *not* using it was one of the reasons I have settled on mkv--at least for now. I absolutely despised the hideous transition from VMC/MM to PDVD. And now, I can play my mkv files directly in VMC. So much nicer... (To be honest, I don't feel like I'm risking a lot--since tsMuxeR can demux/remux an mkv, convering my burgeoning collection of mkv's into .ts files will be simple if I change my mind.)

Further, the process that I am using is very simple, and does not rely on copying the DVD to the HDD first. All I do is run the following 3 commands from a DOS box from the destination folder (e.g. c:\\movies\ ransformers>):
eac3to d:
eac3to d: 1) (assuming the main feature is chapter 1)
eac3to d: 1) 1: chapters.txt 2: video.mkv 3: audio.flac
(in this last step, the 1: 2: and 3: can change, depending on what you are given in the second step)

Then I simply run mkvmerge (which looks like a carbon copy of tsMuxeR), add the video and audio files, add the chapters file, and mux.

Voila!, about 1.5 hours (on my painfully slow E2160) and I have a complete mkv with full fidelity video/audio. And I use the same process for both Bluray and HD-DVD. About the same amount of steps and time as your process (which, as you know, I also tried).

The only time his process gets more complex is for re-encoding. And that is a terribly subjective issue that is certainly debatable, but also completely separate from the "ts is better than mkv" argument. (P.S. imo, his process focuses more on downres than compression--if all you have is a 720p display, then a 1080p source is no better than a 720p source--and in fact may be inferior depending on the scaling abilities of the display. So he offers up that option for others that may be in the same situation)

Anyway, I think what I'm trying to say is that I think you are both right: which one (or variant of one) is right for any person depends on how they want to use the result. And I appreciate both your efforts on the subject, as I have obviously benefitted greatly from both of your ideas.
post #60 of 3740 Old 06-05-2008, 02:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
@mkanet

It is great to see such competition to provide good tools for this task. It is not surprising that, at the moment, what is the best method one month can change the next. You are right to make sure we keep an open mind. I personally like converting soundtracks to formats like FLAC that are open and do not tie me in future to specific players with internal codecs. Probably in a while mature open source filters for EAC3, DTS-HD and TrueHD will be available, but for now there are merits in converting from these formats, although I can see the benefits in the simplicity of your process.

A few genuine questions please.

- Can these .ts files handle subtitles too? And are they selectable in PDVD?
- With the 2-step .ts process above, are subtitles retained and do they work in PDVD?
- Multiple subtitles?
- Multiple audio streams?

.mkv certainly can hold all the above. Maybe it is just my choice of films, but I find that probably three quarters of the films I buy have a forced subtitle stream containing some crucial foreign language dialogue and/or captions (e.g. locations). When ripping I prefer to keep all the English language audio streams (and the native language main stream if different) and all the English language subtitle streams (often a "forced" stream, a full "English for hard of hearing" stream and a "Commentary" stream). With MPC I can easily select between these streams while watching the movie, just like with a DVD.

But maybe .ts does this too. If so, it is definitely interesting as an alternative.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page