HD to mkv .....the options are endless!!!! - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #721 of 3740 Old 01-04-2009, 02:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok i need the really Dummy guide to this.
I use Anydvd to rip my blu ray. do i want to rip to ISO or full disk.
I am not messing with the sound I just want to output to MKV. so what is my next step after the rip to accomplish this?
I have read the beginning guide a million times...can we make it a little more easy?
thanks for your patience!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 3740 Old 01-04-2009, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member

What player do you want to use? Open Source or commercial software? HTPC, PS3, XBOX, etc?
How much storage are you willing to use up?
Is quality is important to you?
Is AC3 OK or must you have the HD audio formats also?
How much time do you want to spend getting the BRs to a viewable format to play on your HTPC?
How savvy are you with computers?
Will you be streaming or reading directly from disk?

Once you answer these questions the answers will be more accurate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzyboy View Post

Ok i need the really Dummy guide to this.
I use Anydvd to rip my blu ray. do i want to rip to ISO or full disk.
I am not messing with the sound I just want to output to MKV. so what is my next step after the rip to accomplish this?
I have read the beginning guide a million times...can we make it a little more easy?
thanks for your patience!

post #723 of 3740 Old 01-04-2009, 04:52 PM

everything is already running and setup....VMC, MyMovies, PowerDVD 7.3......I am just curious about MKV and the next step after i rip.
post #724 of 3740 Old 01-04-2009, 07:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Benefits of using MKV is
1. Re-Encode Video / Audio to reduce size
2. Play on a PS3
3. Use Non-Commercial (open source) software to play HD movie with HD audio (using Flac)

Honestly unless you can not afford the storage keep the movies in their original format. I am using the same setup as you and rip blurays to ISOs and use VCD to mount the ISO. With PWRDVD 7.3 to watch. MyMovies to organize/manage and ultimately launch PWRDVD and VCD.

Re-encoding even with the fastest machine is a day long process per movie (8 plus hours) 1 hour to set up 7 usually for the encoding to take place.

For me I dont have that kind of time.. is easier for me to spend the 120 bucks per TB as I need it.

Quote:

everything is already running and setup....VMC, MyMovies, PowerDVD 7.3......I am just curious about MKV and the next step after i rip.

post #725 of 3740 Old 01-04-2009, 09:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanglx View Post

Benefits of using MKV is
1. Re-Encode Video / Audio to reduce size
2. Play on a PS3
3. Use Non-Commercial (open source) software to play HD movie with HD audio (using Flac).

You left out the benefit of 24-bit HD audio when converted to FLAC audio. No reprocessing of the video is required. When done this way, remuxing to MKV is just as fast as ripping folders (or ISO) to hard drive.

Perhaps your old version of PDVD does not downsample audio, but I consider the audio advantage one of the primary reasons for doing this.

Lifespeed
post #726 of 3740 Old 01-05-2009, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifespeed View Post

You left out the benefit of 24-bit HD audio when converted to FLAC audio. No reprocessing of the video is required. When done this way, remuxing to MKV is just as fast as ripping folders (or ISO) to hard drive.

Perhaps your old version of PDVD does not downsample audio, but I consider the audio advantage one of the primary reasons for doing this.

Great so what is the next step after i rip my movie...to make it "just as fast as ripping folders...."
thankyou.
post #727 of 3740 Old 01-05-2009, 07:20 AM

Quote:

Great so what is the next step after i rip my movie...to make it "just as fast as ripping folders...."
thankyou.

The first step is *not* to rip the blu-ray - its a unnessecary step imho, just launch eac3to and extract the video of the disk directly to a mkv, the audio to flac (if you like), get the chapter, subtitles, what ever you want and merge everything with mkvtoolnix together as step 2. Thats it, nearly as fast as "just ripping".
post #728 of 3740 Old 01-05-2009, 07:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caspar666 View Post

The first step is *not* to rip the blu-ray - its a unnessecary step imho, just launch eac3to and extract the video of the disk directly to a mkv, the audio to flac (if you like), get the chapter, subtitles, what ever you want and merge everything with mkvtoolnix together as step 2. Thats it, nearly as fast as "just ripping".

you could create a batch file that copies the main movie and audio (converted to flac) off the disc to a temp folder (say ... on drive C) and automatically merges the temp files to one mkv on another drive (using 2 drives speeds up file i/o). if you need subs, you could do that work first so subs are already in the temp folder before you start the rip/merge process.

this should take less time then ripping the whole disc to iso (because there is less data to copy off the disc and the a/v merge goes fast).

once you have the 1080p mkv file you could play it as-is or you could create another batch file to convert mkv->720p mkv or whatever (eg. ipod mp4 or dvd mpg). IMO this ability to "space shift" mkv files could be a useful feature.
post #729 of 3740 Old 01-05-2009, 05:06 PM

Really grateful for this guide - I have the whole My Movies/PowerDVD setup but I really don't like it and a simple, one language, playable-in-anything, slightly smaller .mkv file is much simpler as I can just play is straight through Vista MCE. Huge thanks for the effort.

One question - I'm trying it on my only disc, which is like this according to eac3to...

M2TS, 1 video track, 1 audio track, 2:43:04
1: h264/AVC, 1080i60 /1.001 (16:9)
2: AC3, English, 2.0 channels, 224kbps, 48khz, dialnorm: -27dB

When I remux it in MKVMerge, I get a file which, according to MediaInfo is this...

Video #0
Codec: AVC
Codec/Family: AVC
Codec/Info: Advanced Video Codec
Codec profile: High@L4.1
Codec settings, CABAC: Yes
PlayTime: 2h 42mn
Bit rate: 14 Mbps
Width: 1920 pixels
Height: 1080 pixels
Display Aspect ratio: 16/9
Frame rate: 29.970 fps
Standard: NTSC
Chroma: 4:2:0

When played in WMP, it's like it's in slow-motion and you can see the interlacing.

So, in short: Should this guide work for 1080i/60 material, and what tweaks might I need in place to get it running nicely in WMP?
post #730 of 3740 Old 01-05-2009, 10:07 PM
l2e

This was an excellent guide and worked beautifully for BD rip of We Are Marshall. I chose to encode with flac audio but I have a question. When the movie plays my HK AVR-335 shows PCM 48khz. Then I can choose between the various surround modes on the HK, such as NEO: 6, Dolby VS Wide, Dolby PL Movie, etc. Is this correct? If so, what surround mode should I choose?
post #731 of 3740 Old 01-05-2009, 10:11 PM

First once again let me say what a great guide this is and thanks for all the info provided by all. My Question is mostly out of curiosity. Right now I am converting to MKV and flac. If sometime in the future I need to revert back to a standard type format what would be required. Is there a program like eac3to that would extact the video and flac files and convert them back or to what ever format I would need. Also how do I look at the files in a .mkv file.
post #732 of 3740 Old 01-08-2009, 04:05 PM

pacrat - I got an app called mkvextract bundled with mkvmerge when I got it. Would probably do what you need to split the files out again?

Anyone able to help me with my 1080i question?
post #733 of 3740 Old 01-08-2009, 05:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Tom,
instead of extracting elementary video stream, demux/remux video stream to mkv and demux audio with eac3to and remux them into an mkv container with mkvmergegui.
eac3to input file output file video.mkv audio.ac3 >
remux to mkv (via mkvmergegui)

Chronical Tester
post #734 of 3740 Old 01-08-2009, 08:58 PM

I think I understand what I need to do, but before I dropped the money to buy more software, I thought I would check with the forum.

My equipment:
new htpc with Lite-On Blu-Ray player
HD 4670 video card sending video via HDMI to Pioneer Elite Kuro Pro-111FD
ALC888 codec on motherboard, output via S/PDIF to
B&K Reference 30 which will accept 96/24 via coax digital

My Software:
Windows Vista Home Premium
PowerDVD 8 Ultra
TMT

I want to be able to play ANY Blu-Ray disc (using either PowerDVD or TMT) and get 96/24 sound in 5.1 to my pre/pro through the S/PDIF.

I believe the way to do this is to purchase anyDVD HD and download eac3to and then use the advanced guide beginning at step 4 here.

MY QUESTIONS:

1. Am I correct? Will I be able to get 96/24 sound? (I don't want my software player to downmix it, especially if I put it into a MKV container.)

2. Do I need to purchase the Clone DVD bundle when I buy anyDVD HD? (I think I don't.)

3. Is there an easier way to accomplish what I want than the option I have listed here? What am I not understanding? (Actually, the answer to that last question could be rather long, so . . . what am I not understanding that is germane to what I want to do?)

Thanks for your help,
John
post #735 of 3740 Old 01-08-2009, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleAelfrich View Post

MY QUESTIONS:

1. Am I correct? Will I be able to get 96/24 sound? (I don't want my software player to downmix it, especially if I put it into a MKV container.)

2. Do I need to purchase the Clone DVD bundle when I buy anyDVD HD? (I think I don't.)

3. Is there an easier way to accomplish what I want than the option I have listed here? What am I not understanding? (Actually, the answer to that last question could be rather long, so . . . what am I not understanding that is germane to what I want to do?)

Thanks for your help,
John

1) no - you cannot get more than 2-channel PCM via SPDIF. You'll need HDMI audio to get 6/8-ch PCM (16/48 or 24/96)

2) no, you only need AnyDVD HD

3) the best way to do what you want is to repack the bluray movie as a MKV with 6/8-ch FLAC audio (using eac3to) and output via HDMI using a capable card.
post #736 of 3740 Old 01-08-2009, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacrat View Post

Is there a program like eac3to that would extact the video and flac files and convert them back or to what ever format I would need. Also how do I look at the files in a .mkv file.

mkvextract (or mkvextractgui) will allow you to separate the audio/video, and then you can repack them in whatever container you like.

MediaInfo will show you what you're looking for.
post #737 of 3740 Old 01-08-2009, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by l2e View Post

I chose to encode with flac audio but I have a question. When the movie plays my HK AVR-335 shows PCM 48khz. Then I can choose between the various surround modes on the HK, such as NEO: 6, Dolby VS Wide, Dolby PL Movie, etc. Is this correct? If so, what surround mode should I choose?

how are you connected to your receiver? If via SPDIF, then you're only going to get 2-ch PCM, and the surround mode you choose is whatever you like best. If HDMI, then you should be getting 6-ch PCM and setting the receiver to auto-decode or none.
post #738 of 3740 Old 01-08-2009, 09:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I think I understand what I need to do, but before I dropped the money to buy more software, I thought I would check with the forum.

Yes, remuxing Blu-ray to MKV with FLAC audio is the only way to get full-bitrate and depth audio with any hardware and capable software player without downsampling. Note: you won't be able to get all that data out over SPDIF. You need either analog or HDMI to connect to your amp/receiver.

If you just want to drop in the disc without remuxing to MKV, then check this thread for the only sound card that will play 24-bit audio without downsampling using a special version of TMT.

Lifespeed
post #739 of 3740 Old 01-08-2009, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt DeVillier View Post

1) no - you cannot get more than 2-channel PCM via SPDIF. You'll need HDMI audio to get 6/8-ch PCM (16/48 or 24/96)

3) the best way to do what you want is to repack the bluray movie as a MKV with 6/8-ch FLAC audio (using eac3to) and output via HDMI using a capable card.

Perhaps I didn't make it clear. The Reference 30 does not have an HDMI input. If I had an HDMI input, I wouldn't have any of these problems. I have a digital coax input (which I currently use for SD playback with Dolby Digital or DTS ) and I do have 6 channel DVD audio inputs for which I would need to buy more interconnects.

Quote:
Yes, remuxing Blu-ray to MKV with FLAC audio is the only way to get full-bitrate and depth audio with any hardware and capable software player without downsampling. Note: you won't be able to get all that data out over SPDIF. You need either analog or HDMI to connect to your amp/receiver.

If I can get 5.1 DD over the s/pdif cable to my pre/pro, why couldn't I get 5.1 audio from the blu-ray?

Or will I get better sound using the MLP audio (DVD audio) interconnects?
post #740 of 3740 Old 01-08-2009, 11:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Perhaps I didn't make it clear. The Reference 30 does not have an HDMI input. If I had an HDMI input, I wouldn't have any of these problems. I have a digital coax input (which I currently use for SD playback with Dolby Digital or DTS ) and I do have 6 channel DVD audio inputs for which I would need to buy more interconnects.

If I can get 5.1 DD over the s/pdif cable to my pre/pro, why couldn't I get 5.1 audio from the blu-ray?

Or will I get better sound using the MLP audio (DVD audio) interconnects?

Because SPDIF can't carry enough data, the bandwidth is pitiful. Consider SPDIF ancient history and unsuitable for quality audio. DD5.1 is the crappy MP3 audio of the video world.

If you don't have, or don't want to buy HDMI, use analog connects and convert the high-bitrate sound inside your soundcard. There is nothing wrong with analog audio interconnects, so long as you are using a quality soundcard and quality amplifier.

Oh, and even if you did have an HDMI input you would still have these problems. The downsampling happens at the computer software level. Although, to be fair, even downsampled to 48 KHz/16 bit, uncompressed audio sounds far better than DD5.1.

If you don't want to buy a new receiver connect to a good-quality soundcard using analog.

Lifespeed
post #741 of 3740 Old 01-08-2009, 11:13 PM

Thank You for your response, Lifespeed. Is the Asus Xonar HDAV with the RCA outputs the only sound card I can use? My motherboard has 3.5mm mini that I can get a 3.5mm mini to 2 RCA adapter. Would that degrade the quality? (I am assuming it would.) As I understand my receiver, my DVD-Audio inputs are not analog, they are Meridian Lossless Packing (MLP), which can carry lossless compression at 96/24. Isn't this different from "analog" inputs?
post #742 of 3740 Old 01-08-2009, 11:19 PM
AVS Special Member

This all seems WAAAAY off topic....

Jim White
St. Petersburg, FL
post #743 of 3740 Old 01-08-2009, 11:54 PM

Quote:

My motherboard has 3.5mm mini that I can get a 3.5mm mini to 2 RCA adapter. Would that degrade the quality? (I am assuming it would.) As I understand my receiver, my DVD-Audio inputs are not analog, they are Meridian Lossless Packing (MLP), which can carry lossless compression at 96/24. Isn't this different from "analog" inputs?

no quality degradation with a good cable

they are analog inputs on your receiver. the MLP-encoded DVD-Audio is decoded by your DVD-A player, and outputted via analog. I don't recall ever seeing a player that output MLP digitally, and if it did it would have to be via HDMI.
post #744 of 3740 Old 01-09-2009, 06:57 AM

anybody try handbrake for their blue-ray rips? just curious on this program as it seems to have simple to advanced features. latest version is 2.9.3
post #745 of 3740 Old 01-09-2009, 07:03 AM
l2e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt DeVillier View Post

how are you connected to your receiver? If via SPDIF, then you're only going to get 2-ch PCM, and the surround mode you choose is whatever you like best. If HDMI, then you should be getting 6-ch PCM and setting the receiver to auto-decode or none.

Thank you for your response and I WAS using SPDIF so I was only getting 2.0 channel audio. Since my AVR didn't have any HDMI inputs/outputs, I sold it and bought a Onkyo SR-TX606. I had a little trouble at first, but now the PCM and MULTICHANNEL lights are lit when playing the flac encoded movies. So now I am a happy camper.
post #746 of 3740 Old 01-10-2009, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricabullah View Post

Tom,
instead of extracting elementary video stream, demux/remux video stream to mkv and demux audio with eac3to and remux them into an mkv container with mkvmergegui.
eac3to input file output file video.mkv audio.ac3 >
remux to mkv (via mkvmergegui)

Thanks very much for your help, although I'm not a little confused I'm afraid. All I'd done was follow the guide and I wouldn't have dared try it without the guide to hand - how does what you're suggesting differ from what the guide says?
post #747 of 3740 Old 01-10-2009, 10:10 AM

hello...
i own acer aspire 5920g with these spec:
Core 2 2Duo T7500 2,2Ghz
RAM 2GB
VGA 8600M GT 512 MB
will it play 1080p (mkv file) smoothly?
post #748 of 3740 Old 01-10-2009, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by senjaya View Post

hello...
i own acer aspire 5920g with these spec:
Core 2 2Duo T7500 2,2Ghz
RAM 2GB
VGA 8600M GT 512 MB
will it play 1080p (mkv file) smoothly?

Yes. That is more than enough. Although you will not get the HA for VC1 using the MPC-HC filters. You may have to manually register the Arcsoft filters (if you have them) and maybe that will work.

AVC will work fine with your 8600GT using the MPC-HC filters.

Don't forget to get madflac filter if you are going to use flac on the mkv's.
post #749 of 3740 Old 01-10-2009, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyDora View Post

Yes. That is more than enough. Although you will not get the HA for VC1 using the MPC-HC filters. You may have to manually register the Arcsoft filters (if you have them) and maybe that will work.

AVC will work fine with your 8600GT using the MPC-HC filters.

Don't forget to get madflac filter if you are going to use flac on the mkv's.

but in some case (mkv with vc-1) run not to smooth on my notebook.
mkv h264 run smooth...
what's the different of that?
and how am i supposed to fix it...
sorry for the bad english
post #750 of 3740 Old 01-10-2009, 09:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by senjaya View Post

but in some case (mkv with vc-1) run not to smooth on my notebook.
mkv h264 run smooth...
what's the different of that?
and how am i supposed to fix it...
sorry for the bad english

That's VC1 for ya. Its a tricky codec to get perfect. Play with the filters (Arcsoft/Cyberlink) and see if any of those may help.
Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page