post #811 of 3740 Old 01-21-2009, 05:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanglx View Post

Thanks for your input... Im still experimenting on different codecs and players... My old AMD 185 Opteron is chugging along with CoreAVC.. no issues there...

I dont mean to hi-jack the thread.. do you recommend a good player? So far TMT is unbelievably unstable.. PowerDVD has no features.. Im leaning towards MP-HTPC.. What are your thoughts on this topic?

I use Vista Media Center with Movie Collectorz for my movies or the video browser for downloaded TV shows. I have PowerDVD 7 (came with my LG Drive) installed just so I can play HD DVD and PowerDVD 8 for BluRay. But I'll usually watch the movies from MKV so I rarely load the players.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 3740 Old 01-21-2009, 06:08 AM

Liked: 10
Is there a consensus as to which is the best video decoder for MPC? By best I mean stable 1080p playback, hardware acceleration, low CPU usage for an average dual cores system.
post #813 of 3740 Old 01-21-2009, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifespeed View Post

You can use FFDShow tryouts for FLAC x64 support in MPC-HC.

I think this reply is directed to me? I am not using MPC-HC by the way. I have the MPC-HC codec installed based on some other instructions I saw.
post #814 of 3740 Old 01-22-2009, 06:04 PM

I was wondering if someone could clarify some of this process for a noob. I've been using Step 4 of the guide to get my video, audio and chapters. My next question is what's the best process for getting the file size down to around 15-20gb but still retain 1080p. Once I have my files do I just proceed to step 6? I will be playing all my movies on my Popcorn Hour A-110

Thanks in advance.
post #815 of 3740 Old 01-23-2009, 03:16 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

I was wondering if someone could clarify some of this process for a noob. I've been using Step 4 of the guide to get my video, audio and chapters. My next question is what's the best process for getting the file size down to around 15-20gb but still retain 1080p. Once I have my files do I just proceed to step 6? I will be playing all my movies on my Popcorn Hour A-110

Thanks in advance.

Yes ...move on to step 6 (or 3 if your any good with batch scripting ...more versitile), if you want to keep 1080p then just don't resize the video (ignore 720p resize options) choose a bit rate and then re-encode to achieve your desired file size. Note: if you want HA then you will have to set the AVC level to 4.1 and use max 3 bframes, more info available here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=972503

Hope that helps.
Cheers,
Jiff.
post #816 of 3740 Old 01-23-2009, 03:18 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Got Cars today so will have a play over the weekend.
Cheers,
Jiff.
post #817 of 3740 Old 01-23-2009, 03:22 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Is there a consensus as to which is the best video decoder for MPC? By best I mean stable 1080p playback, hardware acceleration, low CPU usage for an average dual cores system.

The one built into MPC-HC is pretty good and you can get it seperatly too (does AVC, VC-1 & MPEG 2) ...if not I use cyberlinks avc decoder for h264 and the WMVideo Decoder DMO for VC-1. MPEG 2 can be decoded in so many ways its a non-issue. Hope that helps.
Cheers,
Jiff.
post #818 of 3740 Old 01-23-2009, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiffOrange View Post

Yes ...move on to step 6 (or 3 if your any good with batch scripting ...more versitile), if you want to keep 1080p then just don't resize the video (ignore 720p resize options) choose a bit rate and then re-encode to achieve your desired file size. Note: if you want HA then you will have to set the AVC level to 4.1 and use max 3 bframes, more info available here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=972503

Hope that helps.
Cheers,
Jiff.

Your post Jiff, makes me think about HA. Do you have any opinions on the subject?
post #819 of 3740 Old 01-23-2009, 01:33 PM

Awesome guide! Thanks to Jiff and all the other contributors.

I done several movies and the results were great. I do have a few questions though. Has anyone figured out how to tell if a movie has forced subtitles and which subtitle track it is? For instance, Iron Man has 3 subtitle tracks with 1 of them being the forced subtitles. I could tell which it was after going through the files with SupRip but only because I've seen that movie. Do I just need to go through all the English subtitles to determine it or is there an easier way without having to do that? I have a few movies I haven't seen and want to make sure I include what is needed for the basic movie play. Is it a trial and error thing or has some one been able to identify those particular subtitles?

Also, I have a similar question on the movie itself. Wall-e has 3 sections where the video is the same length for each. I 1st tried section 1 but that seemed to be a commentary version of the movie. the 2nd was the actual movie on that one. Is there an easy wat to tell which one it is or is it a trial and error type of deal as well?

Stikman

Mike
post #820 of 3740 Old 01-23-2009, 08:50 PM

I've had great luck with ripping and muxing thus far, I've been saving files to an External WD Essentials TB HD, and it was working well in VMC. However I noticed today that I can no longer watch the movies, the audio plays but there is no video. I get this error

Windows Media Player Error Message Help

You've encountered error message C00D10D1 while using Windows Media Player. The following information might help you troubleshoot the issue.
Codec is missing

Windows Media Player cannot play the file (or cannot play either the audio or video portion of the file) because the MPEG-4 Video (AVC1) codec is not installed on your computer.

The missing codec might be available to download from the Internet. To search for the MPEG-4 Video (AVC1) codec, see WMPlugins.com.

Anyone know what may have happened? I did notice that my original trial to TotalMedia Extreme had expired, but I thought that the codecs still worked. Could something else have happend? One other thing is that I had to update my BD Drivers when I tried to watch "Forgetting Sarah Marshall", any chance that update could have messed something up? Let me know what you guys think, thanks!!!
post #821 of 3740 Old 01-24-2009, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Download graphstudio and load a mkv file. See what codecs it is using. This will help you resolve what is causing the issue. If the TME codec is still being called, then you know the issue is the expired trial. Buy a codec or use the free MPCVideoDec from MPC-HC.
post #822 of 3740 Old 01-24-2009, 10:23 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Is it possible to remove or add custom subs to a existing mkv movie?
post #823 of 3740 Old 01-24-2009, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mech0z View Post

Get hold of a tool called mkvtoonix, you can add subtitles via mkvmerge.
post #824 of 3740 Old 01-25-2009, 07:23 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

I done several movies and the results were great. I do have a few questions though. Has anyone figured out how to tell if a movie has forced subtitles and which subtitle track it is? For instance, Iron Man has 3 subtitle tracks with 1 of them being the forced subtitles. I could tell which it was after going through the files with SupRip but only because I've seen that movie. Do I just need to go through all the English subtitles to determine it or is there an easier way without having to do that? I have a few movies I haven't seen and want to make sure I include what is needed for the basic movie play. Is it a trial and error thing or has some one been able to identify those particular subtitles?

I'm affraid to say its trail and error at the min ....I do not know of any program that can tell you the content of each subtitle track/or its size. Even if their were its unlikely that they would number the tracks in the same waay eac3to anyway so it would be useless (in this case atleast). Sorry Dude.

Quote:

Also, I have a similar question on the movie itself. Wall-e has 3 sections where the video is the same length for each. I 1st tried section 1 but that seemed to be a commentary version of the movie. the 2nd was the actual movie on that one. Is there an easy wat to tell which one it is or is it a trial and error type of deal as well?

Play the disc for a few moments in a commercial player i.e. PowerDVD and it will say the title number in the display/info pains. Hope that helps you out.
Cheers,
Jiff.
post #825 of 3740 Old 01-25-2009, 07:24 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Drop the origional in mkvmerge and the new subtitle track and remux.
Cheers,
Jiff.
post #826 of 3740 Old 01-25-2009, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrwalte View Post

Download graphstudio and load a mkv file. See what codecs it is using. This will help you resolve what is causing the issue. If the TME codec is still being called, then you know the issue is the expired trial. Buy a codec or use the free MPCVideoDec from MPC-HC.

Ok, so for one, I just openned it in MPC-HC, and the video was fine, seemed out of sync with the sound, but it may have been just that one, I'll double check that. But then I also downloaded and ran graph edit and this is what I got seen in the attachment.

Does that mean I don't have any video codec since it doesn't show? or is there something else I need to do in order to see it?

Thanks
LL
post #827 of 3740 Old 01-25-2009, 04:09 PM
AVS Special Member

You can't use the MPCVideoDec codec outside of MPC-HC unless you register it. Go to MPC-HC folder and find the MPCVideoDec.ax file. Copy it to your system32 folder.

Open a command prompt run as administrator and type:

regsvr32 c:\\windows\\system32\\MPCVideoDec.ax

You should receive a prompt that it was registered successfully.

Now the video codec should show in graphedit.
post #828 of 3740 Old 01-25-2009, 04:49 PM

All of the suddon my computer stoped playing back multichannel flac audio. It only plays back in two channels. It does this in VLC as well as WMP, and MPC-HC (which use FFDshow).

Im stumped. any pointers in the right direction? I already tried uninstalling all the codecs on my computer, and re-installing. DTS still comes through fine as multichannel...
post #829 of 3740 Old 01-26-2009, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrwalte View Post

You can't use the MPCVideoDec codec outside of MPC-HC unless you register it. Go to MPC-HC folder and find the MPCVideoDec.ax file. Copy it to your system32 folder.

Open a command prompt run as administrator and type:

regsvr32 c:\\windows\\system32\\MPCVideoDec.ax

You should receive a prompt that it was registered successfully.

Now the video codec should show in graphedit.

Thanks for your help JR

I wanted to be able to use VMC to play my files, so I re-downloaded Arcsoft TMT again, and got a new trial period and it did work, so I guess when it runs out, I'll just have to purchase the license for it, so that's fine. But now, amidst all this, a new awesome problem has come up. I tried to use eac3to to demux a movie, I first enter the prompt to see what's on the disc, that goes fine, say for example

"C:\\eac3to\\eac3to.exe E:"

I comes up and shows me all the streams, and I want stream one, so then I do

"C:\\eac3to\\eac3to.exe E: 1)"

to see what parts I want, and after about 5 seconds, I get the Blue Screen and the computer shuts down. SOOOO Bizarre, it's never happened, when the computer comes back on, it says that it can't detect my BD Drive, so wierd. Didn't know if this has happened to anyone else. I wanted to see if anyone had a quick solution, do I have to remap my drive? (Can you even do that for a disc drive?) or should I consult the manurfacturer?
post #830 of 3740 Old 01-27-2009, 02:59 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Your post Jiff, makes me think about HA. Do you have any opinions on the subject?

Sorry missed your post ....in short I think that it has its uses but it does degrade that space vs quality ratio somewhat. To clarify ...the use of max reference frames vs b frames etc has a negative impact on the size of the file, in addition to this the compression algorithm used is not as advanced as 5.1 for instance. Like most things in the computer world it has its place however. It is certainly useful for people with older computer specs (CPU especially) but I do deem it of negligable use to anybody with a "modern" PC. How many people require 10-20% CPU usage while whatching a movie and for those who have advanced PC config, can they achieve this via CPU load alone on high powered dual and quad core CPUs ...the answer for many "super users" is yes and as such I deem It limited. Personally on my HTPC (perhapse I'm one of the "lucky few") my Q6600 rarely goes abouve 20% without any HA so to reduce this to 10% with the loss in space just doesn't make any sense ...horses for courses I would say each to their own.
Cheers,
Jiff.
post #831 of 3740 Old 01-27-2009, 03:04 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

All of the suddon my computer stoped playing back multichannel flac audio. It only plays back in two channels. It does this in VLC as well as WMP, and MPC-HC (which use FFDshow).

Im stumped. any pointers in the right direction? I already tried uninstalling all the codecs on my computer, and re-installing. DTS still comes through fine as multichannel...

I know this sounds trivial but check that your windows config is set to 5.1 or 7.1 etc, mine in vista has the unusual habit of resetting its self to 2 channel every few months or so ...this wouldn't effect usage of bitstreamed data such as DTS or DD but would impact flac or aac etc.
Hope that heps.
Cheers,
Jiff.
post #832 of 3740 Old 01-27-2009, 03:20 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Now to the pesky Cars reagion B disc ....what I have found out so far is that it is a problem of achieved frame rate. on my system the film plays at 60 fps (or 60 Hz in PC terms) with audio out of sync like you. While doing so the CPU is low 20 % on my Q6600 and 70% max on my server with overclocked pentium D @ 3.4 GHz so I think we can rule out a pegged CPU as the cause. When playing the film I get a graph of achieved fps of between 12-24 compaired with a specified 23.8-24.25 fps, with assocaited problem of increasing jitter ...this I would say is the root of the problem. I can get the video and audio to play in sycn without a problem (using a combination ffdshow video and the VMR9 renderer settings) however this is at the expense of dropped video frames. I have recently re-installed my OS so I have not got it set up to use 23.976 fps or multiples there of ...this is likely the best solution (since eac3to automatically removes the pulldown flags). I will give this a try and report back once had chance. If 60Hz is essential I can think of two methods, since its likely a problem with the way the video was encoded:

1). The extreame but confirmed as working method ....re-encode the video using x264 to give it standard pulldown flags and seek properties. I have done this (720p but should work equally well with 1080p) and mux this in place of the origional.
2). Re-rip the video with the -keepPulldown flag in eac3to (usage is same as -seektoIframes flag suggested earlier), this should solve the problem but can't 100% since I have limited time and no time to test. I will give this a try tonight and report back.

Let me know how you get on and I'll report back again myself. Hope this helps.
Cheers,
Jiff.
post #833 of 3740 Old 01-27-2009, 03:32 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Hi urisbigb,
It could be very well anyDVD HD ...this can be at times notoriously unstable and cause all sort of issues. Close the program and restart it, once its read the disc try again. this could be a shot in the dark but I have had issues with stability with it in the past. Does this issue occur with all discs or is it specific to one? Is it just when you use eac3to or does this occur when using PowerDVD/Arcsoft TMT? Can you read the disc structure in explorer? Let me know and I'll do my best to help you resolve. It could be the drive and I would not rule it out but If my experiences are anything to go by, their is many opther places for problems to occur.
Cheers,
Jiff.
post #834 of 3740 Old 01-27-2009, 04:17 AM

Quote:

Hi urisbigb,
It could be very well anyDVD HD ...this can be at times notoriously unstable and cause all sort of issues. Close the program and restart it, once its read the disc try again. this could be a shot in the dark but I have had issues with stability with it in the past. Does this issue occur with all discs or is it specific to one? Is it just when you use eac3to or does this occur when using PowerDVD/Arcsoft TMT? Can you read the disc structure in explorer? Let me know and I'll do my best to help you resolve. It could be the drive and I would not rule it out but If my experiences are anything to go by, their is many opther places for problems to occur.
Cheers,
Jiff.

Well problems first started when trying to demux "Forgetting Sarah Marshall". I would put it in, AnyDVD would scan it, it was all set, I'd go into eac3to and I could see the BD Structure, it would even start to demux, then stop and say it couldn't read the disc. I later put it in my PS3 just to watch, and noticed that it was skipping, so I cleaned the disc and it was fine. Went to go put it back into my laptop, thinking it couldn't read it cuz it was dirty. And I didn't realize that AnyDVD hadn't scanned it, went into eac3to, was successful in seeing the streams, but when I selected one stream in particular to demux, it went to the Blue Screen of Death. Thought it was weird, did it again, and so did the blue screen, as soon as I hit enter and I heard the disc start to spin, it would crash.

So then when the computer came back, it brought up an error message about how there could be a few causes, mainly concerning AnyDVD, so I uninstalled and reinstalled, rebooted, everything, but then came back and it wouldn't scan the disk. That's what I noticed I can't even explore the BD Drive in My Computer or anything, it just simply isn't recognizing the drive. I haven't been home since, but I was thinking about restoring windows till before I tried to demux that particular movie, but I just found it quite wierd.

Thanks for your help.
post #835 of 3740 Old 01-27-2009, 11:00 AM

Quote:

I know this sounds trivial but check that your windows config is set to 5.1 or 7.1 etc, mine in vista has the unusual habit of resetting its self to 2 channel every few months or so ...this wouldn't effect usage of bitstreamed data such as DTS or DD but would impact flac or aac etc.
Hope that heps.
Cheers,
Jiff.

I use XP, but i did check that and its correct...

Any other suggestions?

Maybe its just time for a reinstall of windows...
post #836 of 3740 Old 01-28-2009, 12:36 PM

Quote:

Now to the pesky Cars reagion B disc ....what I have found out so far is that it is a problem of achieved frame rate. on my system the film plays at 60 fps (or 60 Hz in PC terms) with audio out of sync like you. While doing so the CPU is low 20 % on my Q6600 and 70% max on my server with overclocked pentium D @ 3.4 GHz so I think we can rule out a pegged CPU as the cause. When playing the film I get a graph of achieved fps of between 12-24 compaired with a specified 23.8-24.25 fps, with assocaited problem of increasing jitter ...this I would say is the root of the problem. I can get the video and audio to play in sycn without a problem (using a combination ffdshow video and the VMR9 renderer settings) however this is at the expense of dropped video frames. I have recently re-installed my OS so I have not got it set up to use 23.976 fps or multiples there of ...this is likely the best solution (since eac3to automatically removes the pulldown flags). I will give this a try and report back once had chance. If 60Hz is essential I can think of two methods, since its likely a problem with the way the video was encoded:

1). The extreame but confirmed as working method ....re-encode the video using x264 to give it standard pulldown flags and seek properties. I have done this (720p but should work equally well with 1080p) and mux this in place of the origional.
2). Re-rip the video with the -keepPulldown flag in eac3to (usage is same as -seektoIframes flag suggested earlier), this should solve the problem but can't 100% since I have limited time and no time to test. I will give this a try tonight and report back.

Let me know how you get on and I'll report back again myself. Hope this helps.
Cheers,
Jiff.

Hi Jiff,
just to let you know that playback of multiples of 23.976 does not help. Could be the errors in the sync are coded and not at playback??

Isn't the -keeppulldown flag for VC1 material? Cars is h264. ??
post #837 of 3740 Old 01-29-2009, 03:07 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Hi Jiff,
just to let you know that playback of multiples of 23.976 does not help. Could be the errors in the sync are coded and not at playback??

Isn't the -keeppulldown flag for VC1 material? Cars is h264. ??

Ok thanks for that one, I will not bother with the top suggestion. No -keepPulldown flag is not specifically for VC-1, eac3to removes this automatically from all HD video formats as a matter of course. I would check this as my first port of call ....I think that Disney has done something funky with the way they encoded the stream. Need to do a deep analysis to deturmine exactly what and that would take time that I don't really have at the mo. Will do it if all else fails. The issue is def a lag in fps which is cumulative over time. Like I said if I do a re-encode, the video stays perfectly in sync and hence has the correct flags and reference points, the fault is def in the video stream and not audio. Let me know how it goes. I'll do some more too as I get chance and I'll report back.
Cheers,
Jiff.
post #838 of 3740 Old 01-29-2009, 03:11 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Any other suggestions?

Sorry dude but sounds like a driver issue ...as long as all codecs are installed correctly (and set up correctly) their is no reason for this. Could be a driver update or software update that has broken something but aside from that I think that a fresh install is the best way forward. Sucks! Sorry mate.
Cheers,
Jiff.
post #839 of 3740 Old 01-29-2009, 07:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muad"Dib View Post

Any other suggestions?

ac3filter or ffdshow involved? If so make sure they aren't set to 2 speaker instead of 5.1 or 7.1.

My Band: Scotch on Sunday
360 and PS3 owner
post #840 of 3740 Old 01-29-2009, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Has anybody here tried a GUI for eac3to (and MKVmerge also, I think) to simplify the ripping process? It looks like somebody has written one, but there hasn't been any development for a year. Not sure if that matters, as the eac3to command set may not have changed.

Lifespeed
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page