HD to mkv .....the options are endless!!!! - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #61 of 3742 Old 06-05-2008, 04:42 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkanet View Post

JiffOrange, I really hate to rain on your parade; since I know you're obviously very excited; and, I'm sincerely happy you have found something that works best for your needs; and for other people who wish not to spend any money on extra software who have extra time to spare.

But, I do feel like I need to clear up some stuff for people reading this thread who might not have a whole lot of experience working with directshow filters, blu-ray, and... most important of all.. can afford to buy 2 popular commercial software.. a software blu-ray player and AnyDVD-HD.

Im not really sure what your post is for? im pretty sure most people are at a basic level of ripping with anydvd and tsmuxing (or not bothering to tsmux) but this is a conversion to a container that can be handled not only in basic media players but also physical extenders such as dvico devices.

I personally am looking to convert all my hd and br discs to 720p for space saving reasons and the ability for an appletv to play them back.

I want to die in my sleep like grandpa... not kicking and screaming like the people in his car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 3742 Old 06-05-2008, 06:50 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

But, I do feel like I need to clear up some stuff for people reading this thread who might not have a whole lot of experience working with directshow filters, blu-ray, and... most important of all.. can afford to buy 2 popular commercial software.. a software blu-ray player and AnyDVD-HD.

First AnyDVD is required regardless, second cost is not a factor with me, I have bought a copy of cyberlink PowerDVD and loath using it! The simpole fact of the matter is if you use ANY commercial software it will down res your sound to 16 bit / 48 kHz (this in point of fact has nothing to do with the method you use to change container but rather is a rather disappointing trait of the software).
I do agree that the method you outline keeps the sound in its origional state but if you want to playback this as is on the disc you CANNOT do it, in addition if you have TrueHD/dts MA you can't playback your file in ANY directshow capable player (no codecs ....video and no sound, MMMM what fun). HDCP is a problem with repeaters (which I use due to HDMI) and I think its discracefull of a company to charge you large sums of money for a product that doesn't work as advertised (let alone the extra cash you have to spend on AnyDVD to get round the problem). What are you going to do if you get a seemless branching title? Drag and drop all your m2ts files into tsmuxer? That is going to take a long time. When it comes to saving space there is of course going to be a loss in quality you are cutting the number of pixals in half, but if you have a 720p display and lets be honest if you didn't you wouldn't be doing this the quality of the resulting mkv is higher than letting a realtime scaler do the job. Win Win, save space (10GB vs 30GB) and the audio suffers from no loss in quality, infact you actually remove the rather stupid dolby implimentation of dialogue normalization when using eac3to so it is more representative of the source.
The main reason for using mkv tho is that its supported by almost all video editing software, ts is not....that is what I mean by flexibility. If I want to create a ts file from my mkv or a vob/m2ts that is PS3 compatable its a one cick solution, this is not the case with ts.
There are many reasons why people would choose to use the above method and at the end of the day its hourses for cources ....whatever works for you. I'm not saying that my method is beter than yours but simply that your method doesn't do what I want/need it to. This was no personal attack!!!!!! You simply can't say that somebody elses opinion is wrong because you don't understand their reasons and for god sake if you must attack people for helping others do some research first, you just might find that their is a whole world outside your little bubble. You want to contribute to whats being said here you are more than welcome but leave the arrogance at home.
Jiff.
post #63 of 3742 Old 06-05-2008, 07:48 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JiffOrange View Post

....if you must attack people for helping others do some research first, you just might find that their is a whole world outside your little bubble. You want to contribute to whats being said here you are more than welcome but leave the arrogance at home.
Jiff.

mkanet

Jiff posted this guide per the requests of AVS forum members from another thread.

I for one really appreciate the guide and have learned a lot from it!

Thanks Jiff!

post #64 of 3742 Old 06-05-2008, 08:07 AM
Advanced Member

Jiff, what switches are needed on x264 to downrez to 720?

I want to die in my sleep like grandpa... not kicking and screaming like the people in his car.
post #65 of 3742 Old 06-05-2008, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valnar View Post

Surely there is a way to cut out a few steps with AutoMKV, RipBot264, megui or the like?

I use AutoMKV all the time and love it, but don't have an HD/Blu-ray drive to see how it would work for HD stuff.

I use to do all of this manually (and still do create some of my own avs scripts), but I let RipBot264 do most of the work anymore. I usually have to remux a new m2ts/ts file using tsMuxer to keep only the video/audio/subtitle tracks I want, but all the manual involvement gets old after a while when doing things step-by-step.

I don't mean to take anything away from the OP and his guide though...I wish something like this was available when I first started converting my budding HD collection. If I were converting only a movie or so every few weeks, then I would continue doing it manually too.

RipBot264 recently got EVO support though, so there's even more reason for me to use it. Output files are of good quality and settings can be edited outside the interface if you know where to look (if default isn't good enough for your tastes).

Good guide though
post #66 of 3742 Old 06-05-2008, 08:20 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Just updated to include meGUI on page 1 . Happy encoding guys.

x264 doesn't do the resizing mate, that is exclusivly done by algo's in AVIsynth. The example I have given in the origional post is:

. bicubicResize(1280, 720) .....but their are a number of resizers available such as:
. lancroz4Resize(1280,720) - very sharp, a little too much for most.
. spline36resize(1280,720) - sharp but doesn't enhance the edges as much as lancroz.

Remember that the period is required after a arguement/before a new arguement such that you would end up with a script which looks like this (can copy and paste this and change as required using examples above):

DirectShowSource("shining.GRF", fps=23.976, framecount=172108, audio=false). bicubicResize(1280, 720)

Their are a number of others but they all have pro and cons ....the syntax is always the same.
Hope that helps,
Chhers,
Jiff.
post #67 of 3742 Old 06-05-2008, 09:55 AM
Advanced Member

Sorry man, for some reason my eyes skipped over that line... im going to running through the guide tonight

post #68 of 3742 Old 06-05-2008, 10:34 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:

JiffOrange, I really hate to rain on your parade; since I know you're obviously very excited; and, I'm sincerely happy you have found something that works best for your needs; and for other people who wish not to spend any money on extra software who have extra time to spare.

I dont mean to state the obvious (and it may not be so obvious to some people), but you can do everything you can in a simple 2 step method (mentioned again in last paragraph of this post) verses the 15-20 page process you outlined in the first post; except, again, you need to buy a couple of pieces of popular software. After all, both methods create just containers. Its just the process it takes to get to these container and software support for these containers.

The 2 step process I mentioned doesnt downres sound; in fact, it keeps the full integrity of the original audio stream. It's depends which commercial software you buy to get the quality of audio you want.

Step #1 takes care of that.

Step #1 takes care of that was well.

Not only is that not true, its quite the opposite, you have more flexibility to playback .ts files on machines in general because of the support you get on 3rd party apps (commercial or not). For example, its a struggle to get hardware acceleration to work with MKV avc/vc1 files. Look how happy you got when you finally got this to work This is no big deal for .TS AVC/VC1 files; in most cases, just installing PDVD and double clicking the file, and it'll playback with HWVA in windows media player (as long as you have a relatively recent display adapter and respective display driver). Another example, a hardware device like SageTV's extender already supports .ts AVC/VC1 builtin.

You can do the same with TS files created in the 2 step process I mentioned.

I'm not sure what you mean here, but I doubt its anything specific to what an MKV file can do that a TS file cant.

You can't save any more disk space with the process you mentioned unless you are planning on guaranteeing video and/or audio quality loss. Presuming the source is blu-ray... its already extremely compressed with state of the art compression. It wouldnt make sense to ruin the original integrity of the video/audio stream with another generation of encode. This is more relevant for people who have large 1080p displays.

2 Step process:
1) Start AnyDVD ripper and press "Copy DVD"
2) Drag and drop the largest M2TS file from AnyDVD ripped folder into TS Muxer and select video and audio streams) and press "Start remuxing" to TS.

Whala... double click the TS file to play it in any directshow player (or load it into any commercial software that supports HD

yup the best! But only Audio option is either DD 5.1 or PCM 5.1 I think it can transcode TRUE HD to PCM 5.1 too?

Mind you PS3 does not like dual soundtrack, and for me even for AVCHD transcode it was same situation, and subs did not work? any settings while muxing, that will ensure subs?????
post #69 of 3742 Old 06-05-2008, 12:32 PM
Advanced Member

Where can I find "TS Muxer" (especially one with a gui)? I did a google search and didn't get very far ...
post #70 of 3742 Old 06-05-2008, 12:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post

Where can I find "TS Muxer" (especially one with a gui)? I did a google search and didn't get very far ...

Me neither until I found that it was TSmuxer (no space). Try that.
post #71 of 3742 Old 06-05-2008, 12:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitbrit View Post

Me neither until I found that it was TSmuxer (no space). Try that.

post #72 of 3742 Old 06-05-2008, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post

Help is on its way:

http://www.videohelp.com/tools/tsMuxeR
post #73 of 3742 Old 06-05-2008, 04:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoro View Post

Help is on its way:

http://www.videohelp.com/tools/tsMuxeR

Thanks!
post #74 of 3742 Old 06-07-2008, 10:52 AM
Advanced Member

I went through steps 1 and 2 (starting from a BluRay disk) and now have two mkv files - one that has the audio "merged" and one that does not.

When I get to GraphEdit, I am getting a problem. Basically when I try to connect the Video output of the mkv file (Haali Media Splitter) to the Input of the WMVideo Decoder DMO, I get the following message:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraphEdit View Post

These filters cannot agree on a connection. Verify type compatibility of input pin and output pin. No combination of intermediate filters could be found to make the connection. (Return code: 0x80040217)

What's going on and how to resolve this? I tried a few other combinations (including using the unmerged mkv file) to no avail ...
post #75 of 3742 Old 06-08-2008, 06:12 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

went through steps 1 and 2 (starting from a BluRay disk) and now have two mkv files - one that has the audio "merged" and one that does not.

When I get to GraphEdit, I am getting a problem. Basically when I try to connect the Video output of the mkv file (Haali Media Splitter) to the Input of the WMVideo Decoder DMO, I get the following message:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraphEdit
These filters cannot agree on a connection. Verify type compatibility of input pin and output pin. No combination of intermediate filters could be found to make the connection. (Return code: 0x80040217)
What's going on and how to resolve this? I tried a few other combinations (including using the unmerged mkv file) to no avail ...

Hi Sankar,
What is the the video codec associated with the origional BD? Sound like you are trying to use a incorrect codec to decode the file. Remember that the WMVideo Decoder DMO is only fot VC-1 material. You will need either one of CoreAVC/cyberlink h264/ffdshow internal h264 decoder for AVC material or a decent MPEG-2 decoder (many available) for MPEG 2. Does the file play when you try to open it in MPC or zoom etc? Additionally if you have the correct codecs installed you can just drag and drop it into graphedit and that should automatically create a filter graph for you and you should be able to see what filters are used and view the video. Hope that helps ....anymore problems and PM or post and I'll try to help you out.
Cheers,
Jiff.
post #76 of 3742 Old 06-08-2008, 07:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Hi Sankar,
What is the the video codec associated with the origional BD? Sound like you are trying to use a incorrect codec to decode the file. Remember that the WMVideo Decoder DMO is only fot VC-1 material. You will need either one of CoreAVC/cyberlink h264/ffdshow internal h264 decoder for AVC material or a decent MPEG-2 decoder (many available) for MPEG 2. Does the file play when you try to open it in MPC or zoom etc? Additionally if you have the correct codecs installed you can just drag and drop it into graphedit and that should automatically create a filter graph for you and you should be able to see what filters are used and view the video. Hope that helps ....anymore problems and PM or post and I'll try to help you out.
Cheers,
Jiff.

Yep ... that seemed to do it! It was the the Cyberlink H264 decoder.

I'll be out of town for a couple of days so I'll submit a couple of batch jobs to run in my absence - one with "good" quality and one with the "high" quality ... will report on my return.

Thanks again for your insight, Jiff!

Cheers!
post #77 of 3742 Old 06-08-2008, 07:41 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks again for your insight, Jiff!

No worries mate, I'll be posting some "advanced settings" next week some time for sharpening, de noise etc so give them a look too. All feedback is greatly appreciated.
Cheers,
jiff.
post #78 of 3742 Old 06-08-2008, 07:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

No worries mate, I'll be posting some "advanced settings" next week some time for sharpening, de noise etc so give them a look too. All feedback is greatly appreciated.
Cheers,
jiff.

Thanks. Incidently the Cyberlink decoder failed when I tried to run the x264 with a "YUY2 input not supported" or something similar.
I switched to FFDShow decoder and it now seems to be running (CPU is at 88% and encoding is proceeding)
I'll check on my return Tuesday night!

Cheers!
post #79 of 3742 Old 06-08-2008, 10:52 AM

I am hoping to rip all my blu-ray and hd-dvd movies down to a 15gb size or so, so that I can get around 60ish movies per 1TB drive.

My wife wants the movies quickly abailable without having to shuffle through a ton of discs.

Yes... I have found the one... a wife who likes all the techno-dohickies.

post #80 of 3742 Old 06-08-2008, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgreenpc View Post

I am hoping to rip all my blu-ray and hd-dvd movies down to a 15gb size or so, so that I can get around 60ish movies per 1TB drive.

My wife wants the movies quickly abailable without having to shuffle through a ton of discs.

Yes... I have found the one... a wife who likes all the techno-dohickies.

I am all for 15GB as the most reasonable minimum, if could be achieved easily!
post #81 of 3742 Old 06-09-2008, 02:58 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
I am all for 15GB as the most reasonable minimum, if could be achieved easily!

1080p@15GB is easily achievable (good encode would be ~12GB) and its not difficult to do it just takes quite a while for it to complete (I would say that 12-14 Mbps is good, probably a bit on the high side). 720p is obviously going to be smaller (~8-10GB @ 9 -10 Mbps). Have fun guys.
Cheers,
Jiff.
post #82 of 3742 Old 06-09-2008, 03:06 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Cyberlink decoder failed when I tried to run the x264 with a "YUY2 input not supported"

YUV2 is a colour space (Y is luminance (brightness) and U & V are chroma (coluor) values, specifically YUV 4:2:2), probably only supports YUV12. FFDSHOW is generally more adaptable, coreAVC also supports all schemes.
Cheers,
Jiff.
post #83 of 3742 Old 06-09-2008, 06:44 AM

Quote:

2 Step process:
1) Start AnyDVD ripper and press "Copy DVD"
2) Drag and drop the largest M2TS file from AnyDVD ripped folder into TS Muxer and select video and audio streams) and press "Start remuxing" to TS.

Whala... double click the TS file to play it in any directshow player (or load it into any commercial software that supports HD

simple and nice..I'll try it.
but what about if there are more than one main M2TS?
post #84 of 3742 Old 06-09-2008, 07:30 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by capitano View Post

simple and nice..I'll try it.
but what about if there are more than one main M2TS?

Yeah, eventually you'll run into seamless branching bluray discs where the movie is spread across multiple m2ts files. You'll need a tool like bdedit to find the movie playlist order, and then a tool like tssplitter to join the files.
post #85 of 3742 Old 06-09-2008, 07:38 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Yeah, eventually you'll run into seamless branching bluray discs where the movie is spread across multiple m2ts files. You'll need a tool like bdedit to find the movie playlist order, and then a tool like tssplitter to join the files.

Both work well but eac3to will do both. Lots of luck.
Cheers,
Jiff.
post #86 of 3742 Old 06-10-2008, 09:43 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Firstly Jiff, I'd like to thank you for the effort you have put in with the guide it is much appreciated.

I was wondering though, do I put the delay settings into MKVMerge exactly as shown from the EAC3TO log?

I've got some positive numbers and some negative, and they're different depending on the stream. do I just use the negative or positive as shown against the stream?

Thanks...
post #87 of 3742 Old 06-11-2008, 03:17 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Firstly Jiff, I'd like to thank you for the effort you have put in with the guide it is much appreciated.

I was wondering though, do I put the delay settings into MKVMerge exactly as shown from the EAC3TO log?

I've got some positive numbers and some negative, and they're different depending on the stream. do I just use the negative or positive as shown against the stream?

Thanks...

Hi Mark,
Yes each stream has its own delay and they can be posative or negative depending on how the stream is authored at the studio. Just use the delay that eac3to gives you in the log for each corresponding stream that you have in your project. Hope that helps.
Cheers,
Jiff.
post #88 of 3742 Old 06-11-2008, 05:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 198
Quote:

Hi Mark,
Yes each stream has its own delay and they can be posative or negative depending on how the stream is authored at the studio. Just use the delay that eac3to gives you in the log for each corresponding stream that you have in your project. Hope that helps.
Cheers,
Jiff.

I'm a bit confused by this. If you have used EAC3to to demux and/or reencode the audio then the delays have already been applied to the modified audio file. There should be no need to specify them in MKVmerge. But maybe you are talking of something different.
post #89 of 3742 Old 06-11-2008, 06:01 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
I'm a bit confused by this. If you have used EAC3to to demux and/or reencode the audio then the delays have already been applied to the modified audio file. There should be no need to specify them in MKVmerge. But maybe you are talking of something different.

eac3to doesn't correct for the delay (unless mashdi added it recently ... I'm using v 2.46), I know that TsMuxer does do this but as far as I'm aware this has not been changed in eac3to, hence the reason for its inclusion in the log file. Encoding to flac preserves the origional stream specs. This can be changed if you instruct eac3to do it but is not often implimented (I don't usually do it and as such don't reflect it in my guides).
Cheers,
Jiff.
post #90 of 3742 Old 06-11-2008, 06:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 105
I tend to agree with jong1. If there are delays detected, eac3to asks that you repeat the last command line so that the delays can be applied. At least this seems to be the case when working with Blu-ray rips. Not sure about HD-DVDs.

I have ripped about 30 BD titles so far, and none of them have lipsync issues, and I have never manually applied delays in MKVMerge. I too am using 2.46 and convert the lossless soundtrack to FLAC.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page