post #901 of 3740 Old 02-20-2009, 03:16 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Blaze View Post

You can rip subs via the eac3to video tab (it's there I promise) but you will need to convert from .sup to .srt using suprip 1.14. You are then free to mux them back into your .mkv. Suprip 1.14 is a vast improvement on previous versions which required so much manual editing that I felt that I had watched the film by the time I had finished manually editing the subtitles.

As far as new features of eac3to, we'll have to see. Most changes seem to be bug fixes at the moment and whatever new features become available I doubt they'll be as important as lossless audio or subtitles for foreign language films. If you are happy with the CLI method then good for you, amigo but I only threw this out as an option for those who really wanted a GUI but were not prepared to sacrifice lossless audio etc. To those folk I imagine it is the solution to all their problems and the answer to all their prayers.

Thanks, it is indeed there and it's not even very well hidden. I must have had a mindset that kept me from seeing it.

Of course, to use subtitles, the process has to be broken between eac3to and mkvmerge so I cannot set up a series of conversions via the batch processing. Luckily for me, I don't need subtitles very often, but when I do, I find that using HdBrStreamExtractor, SupRip and then MKVMergeGUI is easier.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 3740 Old 02-23-2009, 08:57 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Has anyone tried AVS Video Converter 6.0?

It looks like it will do everything you need.
post #903 of 3740 Old 02-23-2009, 11:40 AM

Liked: 12
Now if I wanted to extract an embedded ac3 track from the TrueHD stream I would use this command...

eac2to.exe e: 1) 3:"d:\\mux\\zohan\\audio.ac3" -core

-core option refers to DTS but does it work the same to extact the ac3 from TrueHD?
post #904 of 3740 Old 02-23-2009, 12:19 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by dandirk View Post

Now if I wanted to extract an embedded ac3 track from the TrueHD stream I would use this command...

-core option refers to DTS but does it work the same to extact the ac3 from TrueHD?

I'm definitely not an expect on this whole mkv thing, but you don't need the -core option in that case. Someone correct if I'm wrong, but just having .ac3 as the file extension will tell eac3to to extract the embedded ac3 track.
post #905 of 3740 Old 02-23-2009, 01:36 PM

I'm going to start ripping my HD-DVD's to .mkv's since PDVD no longer supports the format (i'm currently running 8 with the HD-DVD support tweak, but not sure if there will be a tweak or hack for 9, so I want to make a copy of the HD-DVD's that I can continue using in the future.)

As stated, I currently have PDVD 8. Do I need to install all the files in the main post or are there some that I can skip as I can use the PDVD codecs and such.

EDIT - Also want to mention don't want to re-encode to difference formats, I want to keep the video original resolution. What would be best to use, AC3 or LPCM if HD-MA or TrueHD are not available?

EDIT#2 - Haven't decided if I want to mvoe my BR's to .mkv's yet; however, I may for eas of use and interface with MediaBrowser. I have ripped all my BR's into .iso with AnyDVDHD and TsMuxer, stripping out everything but the main movie, main audio (using the best audio track, from ac3, to LPCM, to True, which was available on the disc.) Can I convert the .iso's of the stipped down versions to mkv's or will this complicate matters? It would be much easier than pulling all the discs out of storage vs. running right off the HDD with VCD to mount.
post #906 of 3740 Old 02-23-2009, 03:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dandirk View Post

As mslide said, you do NOT use -core for TrueHD. Simply setting the output extension to ac3 is enough.
post #907 of 3740 Old 02-24-2009, 03:13 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

I'm going to start ripping my HD-DVD's to .mkv's since PDVD no longer supports the format (i'm currently running 8 with the HD-DVD support tweak, but not sure if there will be a tweak or hack for 9, so I want to make a copy of the HD-DVD's that I can continue using in the future.)

As stated, I currently have PDVD 8. Do I need to install all the files in the main post or are there some that I can skip as I can use the PDVD codecs and such.

EDIT - Also want to mention don't want to re-encode to difference formats, I want to keep the video original resolution. What would be best to use, AC3 or LPCM if HD-MA or TrueHD are not available?

EDIT#2 - Haven't decided if I want to mvoe my BR's to .mkv's yet; however, I may for eas of use and interface with MediaBrowser. I have ripped all my BR's into .iso with AnyDVDHD and TsMuxer, stripping out everything but the main movie, main audio (using the best audio track, from ac3, to LPCM, to True, which was available on the disc.) Can I convert the .iso's of the stipped down versions to mkv's or will this complicate matters? It would be much easier than pulling all the discs out of storage vs. running right off the HDD with VCD to mount.

OK first thing is first,
LPCM every time over ac3 ...convert this to flac and you are golden with lossless audio (I convert everything to flac with the exception of legacy ac3 or dts). You do not need everything for playback or ripping. For ripping you will need:
1. AnyDVD HD
2. eac3to
3. mkvmerge
4. TMT (only for conversion of dts MA to flac ...use the upload on first page and even though the player will not work after 30days the audio codec will still be available).

Unless you intend on re-encoding (which you say you don't) that is all you need. For playback you can use VMC, MPC-HC, TMT, Zoom etc (any dirrectshow capable player. PowerDVD doesn't work but you can still use the codecs with a diff fontend). In addition to this you will need madflac to decode flac audio and I would advice installing haali media splitter but that is it.
OK on to your next Qs ...no you do not need the disc just mount it with daemon Tools or something simular and point eac3to the virtual drive letter. Hope that helps. Any more Qs please ask.
Cheers,
Jiff.
post #908 of 3740 Old 02-24-2009, 03:15 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Has anyone tried AVS Video Converter 6.0?

It looks like it will do everything you need.

Not even heard of it but will give it a look.
Cheers,
Jiff.
post #909 of 3740 Old 02-24-2009, 03:22 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Ah, thank you for the reply, Jiff, my good man. If I could ask one more thing of you. The only reason FFDSHOW is in the equation at the moment is to convert the audio sample to 32bits before output so that it is compatible with Reclock. Come to think of it, I also use it to swap the side and centre channels around for 7.1 material as Windows has a very funny idea of where the speakers in a 7.1 system should be located.

Is it possible to go from MADFLAC-> Cyberlink -> FFDSHOW? IE. Flac decode -> 6.1 extraction -> speaker config and 32bit sample and then send the lot off to jolly old Reclock? That would be super spiffing, old boy!!

Toodle pip!

Rob

Tolly-Ho old boy,
Yes it should be possible if you input a 6.1/7.1 PCM signal into ffdshow and then do you conversions ...the limitation with ffdshow is that the built in DD and dts decoders never had the specs to decode the EX/ES streams. I beleive that ffdshow tryouts has the ability to except PCM in upto 7.1 so I would go get the latest version and have a crack with that. Good hunting chap, should be a ripping good laugh .
Cheers,
Jiff.
post #910 of 3740 Old 02-24-2009, 03:31 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

I just upgraded my htpc for blu-ray. I ripped my first blu-ray (Transformers which is VC-1) yesterday to mkv using this thread as a guide (great guide!). Everything works, and I can watch/hear the movie just fine. My question is about hardware acceleration. If I choose Haali's Video Renderer, in Zoom Player, it doesn't use hardware acceleration, as my CPU usage is up around 50%. If I choose VMR9 Windowless (or is it WVM9...whatever), my cpu usage drops to less than 10%.

My question is should I be able to use hardware acceleration with Haali's Video Renderer? What renderer should I be using and does it really matter? I really know nothing about all these renderers other than I've heard Overlay is bad (?).

Honestly, HA doesn't really seem to matter as my cpu can easily handle the workload regardless, but I'm still curious and want to make the most out of my fancy new motherboard's IGP. I've checked the filter graph and everything looks right (MPC Video Decoder -> Haali's, etc).

Anything else I should know?

Again, great guide. I'm very happy that I can keep on using Zoom Player for not only my DVDs, but my Blu-Ray rips as well. Sorry if this type of question is asked over and over gain

That is trade of with haali ...no HA. If you must have HA then VMR9 renderless is the choice on XP or EVR on Vista (you can also install EVR on XP with .net 3 framework). Both are pretty good but I don't think they are quite as sharp as the haali renderer and some don't deal well with timing issues on VC-1 material. If you are getting no sync issues and want to use HA then go for either VMR or EVR if however you are having issues then go haali it can solve alot of problems but at the expense of HA. Avoid overlay like the plague! The reson I suggested haali was that VC-1 with ac3/dts over SPDIF solves sync issues. If it works for you and your happy then stick with it. Their is no right or wrong answer my good man except overlay is BAD.
Cheers,
Jiff.
post #911 of 3740 Old 02-24-2009, 04:04 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Quick question: let's say I wanted to extract just a chapter from a Blu-ray that has just one long main title, and make it into an mkv with flac audio.

How can I do this?

/politby

Hi their is a program on mac called VisualHub that can do it but I do not know of any windows based programs with the same functionality. Their are a number of ways of doing this but it can get a bit complicated ...you will need to find out what frame the section starts on and which it finnishes on and then do a re-encode using x264 to do this but I don't think that is what you are after. It may be possible to output the frames without any prossesing but I'm not sure at the min. I'll look into it further. Your final alternative would be to chop the file into chunks of equil size but It would be diff to find the correct size and starting point for this.
Cheers,
Jiff.
post #912 of 3740 Old 02-24-2009, 05:12 AM

Thanks to this guide I've successfuly converted some hd-dvds to mkv with lossless flac audio.

Just wanted to check that when I use TMT for playback that I do get lossless audio from the flac and that TMT doesn't downconvert it ?
post #913 of 3740 Old 02-24-2009, 05:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Question for anyone here that uses this guide. The only streamers I have available to me are the 360 and PS3. I can stream m2ts files fine to the PS3 but having issues ripping a HD DVD to a playable format. I ripped a movie last night to mkv and ran fine in Windows but could not be read on the PS3 via PMS.
post #914 of 3740 Old 02-24-2009, 06:04 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Just wanted to check that when I use TMT for playback that I do get lossless audio from the flac and that TMT doesn't downconvert it ?

Yup its not messed with. Direct madflac to your soundcard with no TMT involvement.
Cheers,
Jiff.
post #915 of 3740 Old 02-24-2009, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiffOrange View Post

OK first thing is first,
LPCM every time over ac3 ...convert this to flac and you are golden with lossless audio (I convert everything to flac with the exception of legacy ac3 or dts). You do not need everything for playback or ripping. For ripping you will need:
1. AnyDVD HD
2. eac3to
3. mkvmerge
4. TMT (only for conversion of dts MA to flac ...use the upload on first page and even though the player will not work after 30days the audio codec will still be available).

Unless you intend on re-encoding (which you say you don't) that is all you need. For playback you can use VMC, MPC-HC, TMT, Zoom etc (any dirrectshow capable player. PowerDVD doesn't work but you can still use the codecs with a diff fontend). In addition to this you will need madflac to decode flac audio and I would advice installing haali media splitter but that is it.
OK on to your next Qs ...no you do not need the disc just mount it with daemon Tools or something simular and point eac3to the virtual drive letter. Hope that helps. Any more Qs please ask.
Cheers,
Jiff.

Thanks! Only issue is that I don't have TMT and can't actually run it as I'm using W7 at the moment on my HTPC (will probably keep it around as well once the final is released as well). TMT doesn't work at all in W7 from what it sounds like. I haven't checked the HD-DVD's I have to see what audio they are, if they aren't DTS-MA, I can leave out #4 above I'm assuming? I would play my .mkv's in W7 MC or mediaportal if I ever get that working
post #916 of 3740 Old 02-24-2009, 07:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 56
first of all, GREAT GUIDE and THANKS for the effort!!!

well, I'm using this guide (mainly #4) to back up all my blurays w/ lossless audio and full quality. however, I do have a couple questions!

1. on TrueHD track, I think I remember I saw something like converting the audio track from 24bits to 16bits in eac3to. doesn't that will be the same as let the bluray play through from something like PDVD/TMT which they bit strip it to 16bits too??

2. I've installed the page 1 TMT trial version, and had manually registered the ASAudio.ax file and confirmed. however, when I try to convert the DTS-MA track (e.g. what happens in vegas, forbidden kingdom, etc.), it said the ArcSoft decoder don't seem to work and will use libav instead....
here's the screenshot of eac3to:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7000]
Copyright (c) 2006 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\\Users\\Gary>cd eac3to

C:\\Users\\Gary\\eac3to>eac3to.exe C:\\Blurays\\Forbidden Kingdom\\
Source file "C:\\Blurays\\Forbidden" not found.

C:\\Users\\Gary\\eac3to>eac3to.exe C:\\Blurays\\FORBIDDEN_KINGDOM\\
1) 00006.mpls, 00141.m2ts, 1:44:26
- Chapters, 17 chapters
- h264/AVC, 1080p24 /1.001 (16:9)
- h264/AVC, 480p24 /1.001 (4:3)
- DTS Master Audio, English, multi-channel, 48khz
- AC3, English, stereo, 48khz
- DTS Express, English, mono, 48khz

C:\\Users\\Gary\\eac3to>eac3to.exe C:\\Blurays\\FORBIDDEN_KINGDOM\\ 1)
M2TS, 2 video tracks, 3 audio tracks, 3 subtitle tracks, 1:44:26, 24p /1.001
1: Chapters, 17 chapters
2: h264/AVC, 1080p24 /1.001 (16:9)
3: h264/AVC, 480p24 /1.001 (15:11)
4: DTS Master Audio, English, 7.1 channels, 24 bits, 48khz
(core: DTS, 5.1 channels, 24 bits, 1509kbps, 48khz)
5: AC3 Surround, English, 2.0 channels, 224kbps, 48khz, dialnorm: -27dB
6: DTS Express, English, 1.0 channels, 16 bits, 96kbps, 48khz
7: Subtitle (PGS), English
8: Subtitle (PGS), English
9: Subtitle (PGS), Spanish

C:\\Users\\Gary\\eac3to>eac3to.exe C:\\Blurays\\FORBIDDEN_KINGDOM\\ 1) 4:"C:\\HD\\Forbid
den Kingdom\\Forbidden Kingdom.flac"
M2TS, 2 video tracks, 3 audio tracks, 3 subtitle tracks, 1:44:26, 24p /1.001
1: Chapters, 17 chapters
2: h264/AVC, 1080p24 /1.001 (16:9)
3: h264/AVC, 480p24 /1.001 (15:11)
4: DTS Master Audio, English, 7.1 channels, 24 bits, 48khz
5: AC3 Surround, English, 2.0 channels, 224kbps, 48khz, dialnorm: -27dB
6: DTS Express, English, 1.0 channels, 16 bits, 96kbps, 48khz
a04 The ArcSoft and Sonic decoders don't seem to work, will use libav instead.
a04 The libav DTS decoder doesn't decode the full DTS-HD information.

a04 Extracting audio track number 4...
a04 Extracting DTS core...
a04 Decoding with libav/ffmpeg...
a04 Remapping channels...
a04 Reducing depth from 64 to 24 bits...
a04 Encoding FLAC with libFlac...
a04 Creating file "C:\\HD\\Forbidden Kingdom\\Forbidden Kingdom.flac"...
a04 Clipping detected, a 2nd pass will be necessary.
-------------------------------------------------

btw, I'm using Win7 64bit if that matters.
post #917 of 3740 Old 02-24-2009, 07:23 AM

most likley, TMT is not compatible with W7 at the moment and I would bet that is the reason for the error. I'm hoping the 4 HD-DVD's I have don't have HD-MA audio so I don't have to worry about using the TMT files.
post #918 of 3740 Old 02-24-2009, 08:08 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

first of all, GREAT GUIDE and THANKS for the effort!!!

well, I'm using this guide (mainly #4) to back up all my blurays w/ lossless audio and full quality. however, I do have a couple questions!

1. on TrueHD track, I think I remember I saw something like converting the audio track from 24bits to 16bits in eac3to. doesn't that will be the same as let the bluray play through from something like PDVD/TMT which they bit strip it to 16bits too??

2. I've installed the page 1 TMT trial version, and had manually registered the ASAudio.ax file and confirmed. however, when I try to convert the DTS-MA track (e.g. what happens in vegas, forbidden kingdom, etc.), it said the ArcSoft decoder don't seem to work and will use libav instead....

1. Eac3to doesn't bitstrip TrueHD tracks, it uses the libav decoder which is opensource and not concerned with PAP. This is confirmed by me, madshi(the creator of eac3to) and many others who have done conversions and tested the bitdepth. This is a non-issue.
2. TMT doesn't work with Win7. Sorry dude but you will either have to dual boot your system or live without dts MA until a compatable version is released.
Cheers,
Jiff.
P.s. Nice cosy cinema room.
post #919 of 3740 Old 02-24-2009, 08:10 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

I haven't checked the HD-DVD's I have to see what audio they are, if they aren't DTS-MA, I can leave out #4 above I'm assuming? I would play my .mkv's in W7 MC or mediaportal if I ever get that working

Correct ....you can only get the core dts track without the arcsoft TMT decoders. TrueHD/DD+/LPCM will still be converted to lossless flac.
Cheers,
Jiff.
post #920 of 3740 Old 02-24-2009, 08:13 AM
AVS Special Member

post #921 of 3740 Old 02-24-2009, 09:47 AM

Quote:

Correct ....you can only get the core dts track without the arcsoft TMT decoders. TrueHD/DD+/LPCM will still be converted to lossless flac.
Cheers,
Jiff.

Nice, I just checked the 3 HD-DVD's I have left (I sold all my others when I sold my XBox HD-DVD drive months ago). 2 are TrueHD and and the third is DD+, so I won't need to worry about TMT at the moment. When I finally start moving my BR's from .iso backup to mkv's though, I'll hope that TMT is finally compatible in W7, which it should as I probably won't start that project until get around to assembling my @32tb media server later this year.
post #922 of 3740 Old 02-25-2009, 06:27 AM

okay, I when using eac3to via the advanced method, it mentions the .flac audio. Since my first HD-DVD that I'm trying to rip is DD+, I don't need to convert to flac correct? Can I still convert if I wanted to? any pros/cons?

Also, I'm running W7 64 bit and I've seen issues with haali and 64 bit OS' mentioned, I'm assuming I'll have the same issue? I did install Haali and since then, it appears that I'm having stuttering when playing back my BR iso's. I did a restore to just before and everything is fine. I don't really want to break my normal viewing just to get the ability to watch my 3 hd-dvd's.
post #923 of 3740 Old 02-25-2009, 06:58 AM
AVS Special Member

ok, I've tried on a vista laptop using eac3to 3.11, the first post's TMT trail, and manually registered ADAudioHD.ax. but I'm still getting this error message when encounted DTSHD-MA track..... any idea please???

a04 The ArcSoft and Sonic decoders don't seem to work, will use libav instead.
a04 The libav DTS decoder doesn't decode the full DTS-HD information.
post #924 of 3740 Old 02-26-2009, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

ok, somehow, I've got the DTSMA working on the vista laptop....

however, I've got another question. when I try to backup The Simpson Movie, I've encounter this after running eac3to.....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Microsoft Windows [Version 6.0.6001]

C:\\Users\\Gary>cd eac3to311

C:\\Users\\Gary\\eac3to311>eac3to.exe J:\\
1) 00001.mpls, 00002.m2ts, 1:46:24
- Chapters, 16 chapters
- MPEG2, 1080p24 /1.001 (16:9)
- AC3, English, multi-channel, 48khz
- RAW/PCM, English, multi-channel, 48khz
- AC3, French, multi-channel, 48khz

2) 00036.mpls, 1:13:06
[33+34+35+36+37+38].m2ts
- Chapters, 7 chapters
- MPEG2, 480i60 /1.001 (4:3)

C:\\Users\\Gary\\eac3to311>eac3to.exe J:\\ 1)
M2TS, 1 video track, 4 audio tracks, 6 subtitle tracks, 1:46:24, 24p /1.001
1: Chapters, 16 chapters
2: MPEG2, 1080p24 /1.001 (16:9)
3: AC3, English, 5.1 channels, 640kbps, 48khz, dialnorm: -27dB
4: RAW/PCM, English, 5.1 channels, 16 bits, 48khz
5: AC3, French, 5.1 channels, 640kbps, 48khz, dialnorm: -25dB
6: AC3 Surround, English, 2.0 channels, 192kbps, 48khz
8: Subtitle (PGS), Spanish
9: Subtitle (PGS), Portuguese
10: Subtitle (PGS), Chinese
11: Subtitle (PGS), English
12: Subtitle (PGS), French

C:\\Users\\Gary\\eac3to311>eac3to.exe J:\\ 1) 1:"C:\\HD\\Under World\\Under World.txt"
2:"C:\\HD\\Under World\\Under World.mkv" 4:"C:\\HD\\Under World\\Under World.flac" 7:"
C:\\HD\\Under World\\Under World.sup"
Creating file "C:\\HD\\Under World\\Under World.txt"...
The destination file "C:\\HD\\Under World\\Under World.txt" could not be created.
a04 Reading RAW/PCM...
a04 Swapping endian...
s07 Extracting subtitle track number 7...
v02 Extracting video track number 2...
v02 Muxing video to Matroska...
v02 Getting "Haali Matroska Muxer" instance failed.
a04 Creating file "C:\\HD\\Under World\\Under World.flac"...
a04 The destination file "C:\\HD\\Under World\\Under World.flac" could not be creat
ed.
Aborted at file position 1048576.

C:\\Users\\Gary\\eac3to311>eac3to.exe J:\\ 1) 1:"C:\\HD\\Under World\\Under World.txt"
2:"C:\\HD\\Under World\\Under World.mkv" 4:"C:\\HD\\Under World\\Under World.flac" 7:"
a04 Reading RAW/PCM...
a04 Swapping endian...
v02 Getting "Haali Matroska Muxer" instance failed.
-^C
a04 Reading RAW/PCM...
a04 Swapping endian...
s07 Creating file "C:\\HD\\Under World\\Under World.sup"...
a04 The original audio track has a constant bit depth of 16 bits.
Added fps value to MKV header.
Video track 2 contains 153071 frames.
Subtitle track 7 contains 541 captions.
eac3to processing took 24 minutes, 23 seconds.
Done.

C:\\Users\\Gary\\eac3to311>eac3to.exe I:\\
1) 00117.mpls, 1:41:28
[116+120+117+122+118+121+119].m2ts
- Chapters, 25 chapters
- AC3, Spanish, multi-channel, 48khz

2) 00116.mpls, 1:26:45
[116+117+118+119].m2ts
- Chapters, 25 chapters

3) 00109.mpls, 00119.m2ts, 0:30:30

4) 00108.mpls, 00118.m2ts, 0:28:58

5) 00107.mpls, 00117.m2ts, 0:22:13

C:\\Users\\Gary\\eac3to311>
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

besides the lenght, they all are 16:9, and contain HD audio too! now, which one is the main movie?? (I've seen something similar too with Casino Royale, and Black Hawk Down too) are they the "seemless branch movies" that people are talking about??

tks again guys!
post #925 of 3740 Old 02-26-2009, 01:39 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

hi Gary,
You can tell by the lenght ....3) 4) & 5) are all 0:30:30 0:28:58 & 0:22:13 respectivly. Your two candidates are 1) (1:41:28) & 2(1:26:45) so now its upto you to say which "version" you want if one is a theatrical & the other is a directors cut. Check the case or online to find the lenght of the origional release to distinguish between them or run it in PowerDVD/TMT and check times for what you want to rip. Hope that sorts you out mate. Yes they are the so called "seemless branch movies" ...if you think this is hard you should try doing some of the pixar ones (3-4 all with the same lenght ....different written language in the actual film i.e. menu's, billboards etc. That one took me a while).
Cheers,
Jiff.
post #926 of 3740 Old 02-26-2009, 09:24 PM

so if the video has AC3 audio, just pass that through or can I encode it to flac? Is there any downside to converting to flac? Also, if passing through to AC3 i have to adjust for the audio sync correct?

EDIT - I ran both flac and ac3 files and I'm not happy with either. in the flac, the channels are messed up with all the voices coming from the left surround speaker. in ac3, the sound is only stereo with no surround. Am I doing something wrong? I'm including my logs below.

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7000]

C:\\eac3to>eac3to e: 1)
M2TS, 1 video track, 1 audio track, 1 subtitle track, 1:37:05, 24p /1.001
1: Chapters, 24 chapters
2: VC-1, 1080p24 /1.001 (16:9)
4: Subtitle (PGS), English

C:\\eac3to>eac3to e: 1) 1:"c:\\mkv\\chapters.txt" 2:"c:\\mkv\\bucketlist.mkv" 3:"c:\\m
kv\\bucketlist.flac" 4:"c:\\mkv\\bucketlist.sup"
Creating file "c:\\mkv\\chapters.txt"...
a03 The Nero decoder doesn't seem to work, will use libav instead.
a03 Extracting audio track number 3...
s04 Extracting subtitle track number 4...
a03 Removing AC3 dialog normalization...
a03 Decoding with libav/ffmpeg...
a03 Remapping channels...
a03 Reducing depth from 64 to 24 bits...
a03 Encoding FLAC with libFlac...
a03 Creating file "c:\\mkv\\bucketlist.flac"...
s04 Creating file "c:\\mkv\\bucketlist.sup"...
a03 Clipping detected, a 2nd pass will be necessary.
a03 Starting 2nd pass...
a03 Decoding with libav/ffmpeg...
a03 Remapping channels...
a03 Reducing depth from 64 to 24 bits...
a03 Encoding FLAC with libFlac...
a03 Creating file "c:\\mkv\\bucketlist.flac"...
eac3to processing took 40 minutes, 37 seconds.
Done.

C:\\eac3to>
C:\\eac3to>eac3to e: 1) 3:"c:\\mkv\\bucketlist.ac3"
a03 Creating file "c:\\mkv\\bucketlist.ac3"...
Video track 2 contains 139650 frames.
eac3to processing took 4 minutes, 59 seconds.
Done.

C:\\eac3to>
post #927 of 3740 Old 02-26-2009, 10:39 PM

okay, as I'm runnin W7 64, I can't use madflac decoder either. I just played back a .mkv w/flac I made from a hd-dvd with TrueHD and the sound is actually very dissapointing. I can barely even make out ANY surround sound whatsoever. The movie sounds so much better off the disc than from the mkv/flac version. Any insight?
post #928 of 3740 Old 02-27-2009, 05:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Jiff sorry if I'm repeating myself (I think I may have asked before), but is there an easy way to convert and mkv into an m2ts? I can only get m2ts files to work with PS3 Media Server.
post #929 of 3740 Old 02-27-2009, 11:14 AM

Quote:

What is your refresh rate? Do you have HA enabled? What is the audio format? What renderer are you using? ...to be any help we need this kind of info. Drop the file(s) that you are having problems with into graphedit and post a screen cap along with the above and we can help you out. It is not a display issue and as long as your CPU is not being pegged then its likely a codec issue.
Cheers,
Jiff.

Jiff,
I am using MPC-HC with HA enabled. Initially I was using the Integrated HD3200 output , but now I am using a dedicated Graphics Card HD 4830.
When Playing MKV files with DTS sound the video frame skips once every 30 seconds. There is no issue with the DTS sound, only the video skips a frame or 2. There is no such issue when playing an MKV file with FLAC audio.

OS on the machine is Windows XP Pro.

Please look at the Graphedit output while playing the file in MPC-HC.

Also please look at the output of the eac3to.

eac3to v3.08
command line: eac3to.exe j: 1) 1:"c:\\MKVProcessing\\Doomsday\\chapters.txt" 2:"c:\\MKVProcessing\\Doomsday\\Doomsday.mkv" 5:"c:\\MKVProcessing\\Doomsday\\Doomsday.dts" 8:"c:\\MKVProcessing\\Doomsday\\english.sup"
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
M2TS, 3 video tracks, 3 audio tracks, 3 subtitle tracks, 1:52:51, 24p /1.001
1: Chapters, 21 chapters
3: VC-1, 480p24 /1.001 (3:2)
4: VC-1, 480p24 /1.001 (3:2)
5: DTS Master Audio, English, 5.1 channels, 24 bits, 48khz
6: AC3 Surround, English, 2.0 channels, 192kbps, 48khz, dialnorm: -27dB
7: DTS Express, English, 2.0 channels, 24 bits, 192kbps, 48khz
10: Subtitle (PGS), French
Creating file "c:\\MKVProcessing\\Doomsday\\chapters.txt"...
[v02] Extracting video track number 2...
[s08] Extracting subtitle track number 8...
[a05] Extracting audio track number 5...
[v02] Muxing video to Matroska...
[a05] Creating file "c:\\MKVProcessing\\Doomsday\\Doomsday.dts"...
[s08] Creating file "c:\\MKVProcessing\\Doomsday\\english.sup"...
Video track 2 contains 162337 frames.
Video track 3 contains 162337 frames.
Video track 4 contains 162337 frames.
Subtitle track 8 contains 1009 captions.
eac3to processing took 29 minutes, 18 seconds.
Done.

The output of eac3to is then muxed using MKVMerge.

Thanks a lot for your input
post #930 of 3740 Old 02-27-2009, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

hi Gary,
You can tell by the lenght ....3) 4) & 5) are all 0:30:30 0:28:58 & 0:22:13 respectivly. Your two candidates are 1) (1:41:28) & 2(1:26:45) so now its upto you to say which "version" you want if one is a theatrical & the other is a directors cut. Check the case or online to find the lenght of the origional release to distinguish between them or run it in PowerDVD/TMT and check times for what you want to rip. Hope that sorts you out mate. Yes they are the so called "seemless branch movies" ...if you think this is hard you should try doing some of the pixar ones (3-4 all with the same lenght ....different written language in the actual film i.e. menu's, billboards etc. That one took me a while).
Cheers,
Jiff.

tks a million!!!
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page