1Likes

post #121 of 3740 Old 06-27-2008, 04:18 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the awesome thread!

But.... how do we get subtitles to work with mkvMerge?

Please pray for peace.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 3740 Old 06-27-2008, 05:15 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Hi cgmoore,
No worries it has been my pleasure. Ok to get subs working in mkvmerge you first need to convert them to a format that it understands. You should have a .sup file this need converting to .srt with this software:

http://exar.ch/suprip/

This is a very simple piece of software and its pretty self explanatory ....the only thing that you need to know is that its libraries are not perfect. On the right hand side of the GUI it will tell you if their are any errors. These need to be changed manually in the box under the main window after selecting the charactor that isn't recognised (in the main window ....highlighted in red, charactors understood in green). Move through and correct as many as you can and then their is a update tab (can't remember what its called ) ....Click this and it will update the the whole file with your changes. Hopefully it will fix all errors without you needing to search for awkward charactors (like italics etc). Then save your new .srt file and this will be accepted by mkvmerge . This software is still a little buggy with some Blu ray streams (not many tho) and it always works with HD DVD, its the best I have found so far. Hope that helps.
Cheers,
Jiff.
post #123 of 3740 Old 06-27-2008, 11:08 AM
afx

I kind of skimmed through this thread to see if anyone had the same problem as me. It seems the problem has been established though...

I can get the DTS-HD Master Audio to play fine when it's still in the m2ts container, but it's not playable at all in the mkv container -- major skipping. I have to extract the core DTS stream and use that before it works.

Why can't I get the DTS-HD Master Audio file to work in the mkv container?
post #124 of 3740 Old 06-27-2008, 02:39 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks for the info about subtitles.

I am having a more basic problem, and that is that I get no video when I try to play the file in Zoomplayer. I do get audio.

Also, I didn't get any chapter file at all. What might cause that problem?

Thanks,
Gerald

Please pray for peace.
post #125 of 3740 Old 06-27-2008, 02:57 PM
Advanced Member

More info: VLC just dies when I try to open the file.

I ran eac3to against the evo files I ripped to my hdd with AnyDVD. These files play just fine (after turning them into an ISO with ImgBurn) in PDVD 8 Ultra.

Please pray for peace.
post #126 of 3740 Old 06-28-2008, 02:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgmoore View Post

See my thread here for a very easy way to get subtitles:

http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread....btitle+creator

Not quite as pretty as Jifforange's guide, but hopefully you can work it out!

Your video problem sounds like you just don't have a compatible filter. Does it work in MPC-HC (that comes with it's own hardware aceelerated codecs for both H.264 and VC-1). Is it VC-1 or H.264? What filter do you think you are using to decode it?

Jon
post #127 of 3740 Old 06-28-2008, 11:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jong1 View Post

What filter do you think you are using to decode it?

That's a good question. I'll confess to being a bit ignorant here. I'm not even sure how I would find that out. The movie is VC-1.

I'll check into MPC-HC and see if that will run it.

Gerald

Please pray for peace.
post #128 of 3740 Old 06-28-2008, 11:42 AM
Advanced Member

OK, I installed WMP 11 (since I had dl'd the installer already) and it now plays the mkv file... VC-1 decoder comes with that, I now remember.

It also plays in Zoomplayer.

Is there a free decoder for H.264 content?

Please pray for peace.
post #129 of 3740 Old 06-28-2008, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Yep. that'd do it!
post #130 of 3740 Old 06-28-2008, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Is there a free decoder for H.264 content?

Yes.

- ffdshow (up to date tryout) will do it, but in software
- MPC-HC has a bundled hardware accelerated H.264/VC-1 filter which is also available separately as a Directshow filter (from Sourceforge).
post #131 of 3740 Old 06-28-2008, 01:14 PM
Advanced Member

jong1, I am having a problem getting Subtitle Creator to work. When I try to manipulate the file, it does not find any subtitles, exact same problem as other user in the slysoft thread.

Gerald

Please pray for peace.
post #132 of 3740 Old 06-28-2008, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member

I don't know what to do with this problem. I have never had any problem with Subtitle Creator and many HD-DVDs.

What did you use to demux the subtitles? If not eac3to then I suggest you use that, also check you are exactly following the process. Other than that I am at a bit of a loss.

What HD-DVD are you trying to rip? Can you upload the troublesome .sup file for me to take a look?
post #133 of 3740 Old 06-28-2008, 01:33 PM
Advanced Member

It is same as the user in the other thread. I used eac3to demux, but used the process as described in this thread.

I am guessing it is something about this particular disc.

Please pray for peace.
post #134 of 3740 Old 06-28-2008, 06:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It is same as the user in the other thread. I used eac3to demux, but used the process as described in this thread.

I am guessing it is something about this particular disc.

If you can find somewhere to upload the .sup I will happily take a look.
post #135 of 3740 Old 06-29-2008, 07:29 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks. I was able to use suprip to create an srt file that mkvmerge would recognize.

I have some other issues though. The movie played for about 1/2 way through with no issues. Then zp started crashing. Or rather, graphedit would report a problem and zp would crash. After it started doing this, it would crash every several minutes. Eventually, towards the end of the movie, I got a blue-screen reporting trouble with one of the ATI driver files. I went back and looked at my event log this am and found multiple entries having to do with ATI and windows media.

I am going to give MPC-HC a try and see if it has the same difficulties.

I can watch the ISO in PDVD, but the problem there is that if you skip ahead a chapter, it loses the sound.

Oh, and one other thing. The MKV doesn't seem to have any (or very much) center channel sound. This is a DTS-MA title, so I am wondering if that would be why. Odd.

Gerald

Please pray for peace.
post #136 of 3740 Old 06-29-2008, 08:55 PM

First off, thanks heaps JiffOrange for this awesome guide on creating mkv files from Hi-Def movies. Since getting my combo drive two weeks ago, I've done about 6 movies. It works great.

The issue I'm having now though, is how to deal with the black bars above and below the main part of the image? Most of the movies are 2.35:1 and the active area of the image is around 1920x800. I didn't even realise until yesterday, that all of these HiDef movies are encoded at 1920x1080.

I have a crt projector, which I've been running at the 16:9 ratio of 1600x900 for quite a while. Yesterday, for Bluray movies, I set up my pj at 1920x800. Last night I got a surprise when my mkv movies we're all squeezed inwards to half their size because of the black areas top and bottom of each movie.
I wouldn't have thought the original movie file on the bluray disk would be encoded with the black bars top and bottom?! But when I checked my mkv's they were all 1920x1080.
I remember getting the odd widescreen movie on DVD (e.g. 'The Thing') that had the black bars encoded into the 720x576 image, and I'd swear at the dodgy encode because they wouldn't display properly on a 16:9 screen. Surely these new Bluray movies aren't being encoded with black bars?

I've thought of a few possibilities to fix the problem:

-Can 'eac3to' or 'mkvmerge' detect and strip away the top and bottom bars?

-Set my pg up for 1920x1080. And I will eventually, however I get a sharper picture at 1920x800 because of its' lower bandwidth requirements.

-Is there some other way to crop the top and bottom of the video file that doesn't require spending hours on re-encoding the video?

-In MPC (or Zoom Player) can I perhaps include a ffd video filter through which I can crop the image? And is this viable for all the different type of video formats such as VC-1 and H264 etc?

cheers'
Sim.
post #137 of 3740 Old 06-30-2008, 09:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sj64 View Post

First off, thanks heaps JiffOrange for this awesome guide on creating mkv files from Hi-Def movies. Since getting my combo drive two weeks ago, I've done about 6 movies. It works great.

The issue I'm having now though, is how to deal with the black bars above and below the main part of the image? Most of the movies are 2.35:1 and the active area of the image is around 1920x800. I didn't even realise until yesterday, that all of these HiDef movies are encoded at 1920x1080.

I have a crt projector, which I've been running at the 16:9 ratio of 1600x900 for quite a while. Yesterday, for Bluray movies, I set up my pj at 1920x800. Last night I got a surprise when my mkv movies we're all squeezed inwards to half their size because of the black areas top and bottom of each movie.
I wouldn't have thought the original movie file on the bluray disk would be encoded with the black bars top and bottom?! But when I checked my mkv's they were all 1920x1080.
I remember getting the odd widescreen movie on DVD (e.g. 'The Thing') that had the black bars encoded into the 720x576 image, and I'd swear at the dodgy encode because they wouldn't display properly on a 16:9 screen. Surely these new Bluray movies aren't being encoded with black bars?

I've thought of a few possibilities to fix the problem:

-Can 'eac3to' or 'mkvmerge' detect and strip away the top and bottom bars?

-Set my pg up for 1920x1080. And I will eventually, however I get a sharper picture at 1920x800 because of its' lower bandwidth requirements.

-Is there some other way to crop the top and bottom of the video file that doesn't require spending hours on re-encoding the video?

-In MPC (or Zoom Player) can I perhaps include a ffd video filter through which I can crop the image? And is this viable for all the different type of video formats such as VC-1 and H264 etc?

cheers'
Sim.

Have you tried the zoom features in MPC to push the black bars off the screen? Default keys are the number pad, if you don't have one on your keyboard, go to Options / Keys and select new keys for the PnS Inc Size , Width, Height, etc.

I've used this with great success to fill my screen.
post #138 of 3740 Old 07-01-2008, 08:03 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Hi all,
First lets deal with the Dts MA issues: 1. afx, I assume from your post that you are muxing together the origional dts MA stream into your mkv...is this true? If so mkvmerge does support this (most recent builds) BUT their is no support for the data type in haali so connection to a directshow capable filter for decoding the master audio extention data is not easy to acheive. In addition to this the only two filters which could be used to do the decoding are sonic and ashcroft and they both show odd behaviour in graphedit. The best you could ever hope for at the mo is extraction of the core stream (without re-encoding). If you want to hear the FULL dts MA stream then you can still decode using sonic and eac3to and convert to flac (madshi is currently working on using the ashcroft filter for full 7.1, limited to 5.1 at the mo).
2. cgmoore, Did you decode the stream using eac3to/sonic and convert to flac? If you did their should be no lowering of the center channel. If you didn't see above. Your 1/2 movie issue sounds to me like a driver issue ...sorry dude but not an expert.

sj64,
Yes I'm affraid that many titles have the black bars, you could do as brainlay suggests if you do not mind loosing some of the image edges or you can crop then away when you are doing a re-encode (via AVISynth) to remove them forever. This would actually give you more resolution in real terms but again you would loose some of the pictures edge. Essentially you are turning a 2.35:1 image into a 1.85:1 image. If you need help with the latter then post and I'll provide details. In addition ffdshow has some real time cropping abilities if you want better scaling than just zooming. Hope that helps guys.
Cheers,
Jiff.
post #139 of 3740 Old 07-01-2008, 08:22 AM

Hey brianley,
thanks for the suggestion. I had the same thought myself last night. And in MPC I found this option:
'Video Frame -> Touch Window from Outside'
Which does the job nicely. It forces MPC to enlarge the image until the full width of the image is touching the edges of the window. So I get my 1920 mapped to my 1920 screen resolution. No more black bars.

Also,totally unrelated, but I thought I'd put it here in case someone else gets a similar problem:
Certain mkv's that I'd created eac3to and mkvmerge were freezing on playback in MPC. The image would freeze, whilst the audio continued. Nudging the seek bar would make the image catch up with the audio and continue playing. This happens randomly every 5-15 minutes through out a movie.
It was only happening on some movies, and I worked out that what they all had in common was MPC was using SonicMaster Video Decoder 4.2 for these movies. (Interestingly the freeze problem happened much less when I was playing the straight video file with no audio contained.)
I blocked that decoder, MPC found another one (WMP Decoder) and problem is gone.
Though I can't help but feel there's a certain subtle difference in the tone of the image. Is there any one video decoder that's considered to produce a better image than another?

'cheers
Sim.
post #140 of 3740 Old 07-01-2008, 08:35 AM

Hi JiffOrange,
I just saw your reply. I would like to try the cropping abilities in ffdshow. I'd prefer that as it leaves the image 'cleaner' than zooming does. I added ffdshow as an external filter in MPC, but it doesn't show up as one of my filters when I play back an mkv movie file?
Would you mind pointing me in the right direction?

I'll have a go tomorrow when I get back from work. It's late now. Gotta head to bed.

'cheers
Sim.
post #141 of 3740 Old 07-01-2008, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Sonic master Video decoder has always been a bit touch and go (Cyberlinks and ashcroft filters for VC-1 material are the same but work very well with h.264 ....go figure ). For VC-1 I use WMVideo Decoder DMO (with Haali renderer) which is supplied when you install WMP 11. This is the best their is and it will do HA too if your hard where is capable of it. For referance I either use Cyberlink h.264 decoder or Ashcrofts H.264 decoder for AVC material in conjunction with the VMR9 windowless renderer and ffshow for MPEG 2. I've found these to be killer combinations on my hardware for both 24 Hz and 60 Hz playback with no stutters but it will depend on what you are using etc.
I need to get some work done but I'll post tmr some ffshow settings and how to get it into your filter list.
Cheers,
Jiff.
post #142 of 3740 Old 07-04-2008, 03:58 PM

I've used this guide to make MKVs out of my HD material, but I'm having trouble figuring out my Blu Ray material. Most of my Blu Ray discs contain as many as 50 files in the main picture folder. Do I need to add all 50 of these in my batch file?

Is a blu ray tutorial still in the works?
post #143 of 3740 Old 07-04-2008, 04:41 PM
afx

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiffOrange View Post

Hi all,
First lets deal with the Dts MA issues: 1. afx, I assume from your post that you are muxing together the origional dts MA stream into your mkv...is this true? If so mkvmerge does support this (most recent builds) BUT their is no support for the data type in haali so connection to a directshow capable filter for decoding the master audio extention data is not easy to acheive. In addition to this the only two filters which could be used to do the decoding are sonic and ashcroft and they both show odd behaviour in graphedit. The best you could ever hope for at the mo is extraction of the core stream (without re-encoding). If you want to hear the FULL dts MA stream then you can still decode using sonic and eac3to and convert to flac (madshi is currently working on using the ashcroft filter for full 7.1, limited to 5.1 at the mo).

Yes, I'm trying to use the original DTS-HD Master Audio stream in my MKV. I discovered the latest build of MKVMerge muxes it fine, but unplayable unless I use the DTS core stream.

The question is, why does it work fine in the M2TS container and not in the MKV container?

This is what I'm using:
Media Player Classic
CoreAVC
AC3Filter
FFDshow for anything else CoreAVC/AC3Filter doesn't cover
post #144 of 3740 Old 07-04-2008, 09:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by baringer View Post

I've used this guide to make MKVs out of my HD material, but I'm having trouble figuring out my Blu Ray material. Most of my Blu Ray discs contain as many as 50 files in the main picture folder. Do I need to add all 50 of these in my batch file?

Baringer,

The main title in blu-ray is usually the biggest .m2ts file. Some disks may be authored differently and may have split the title in multiples.

Manoj
post #145 of 3740 Old 07-04-2008, 09:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
I recently used RipBot264 to do all in one ripping, converting to mkv and/or encoding to x264. JiffOrange has done lots of tweaks for the encoding, but RipBot264 is one gui for most of the needs. It uses all the same tools in this guide, but these are wrapped under the GUI.

Take a look.

Manoj
post #146 of 3740 Old 07-05-2008, 01:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by adude View Post

I recently used RipBot264 to do all in one ripping, converting to mkv and/or encoding to x264. JiffOrange has done lots of tweaks for the encoding, but RipBot264 is one gui for most of the needs. It uses all the same tools in this guide, but these are wrapped under the GUI.

Take a look.

I did try too, gives me error!
post #147 of 3740 Old 07-05-2008, 02:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by afx View Post

Yes, I'm trying to use the original DTS-HD Master Audio stream in my MKV. I discovered the latest build of MKVMerge muxes it fine, but unplayable unless I use the DTS core stream.

The question is, why does it work fine in the M2TS container and not in the MKV container?

This is what I'm using:
Media Player Classic
CoreAVC
AC3Filter
FFDshow for anything else CoreAVC/AC3Filter doesn't cover

simply because the directshow filters you use don't decode dts-hd master.
you should convert it to flac and use madshi's flac directshow filter

sorry for my poor english but I'm french !!!!
post #148 of 3740 Old 07-05-2008, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baringer View Post

Hey Baringer, there's an easy way to deal with Bluray discs. I found this out over on the Doom9 thread for eac3to.
After you've transferred the dic onto your hard drive. Then from the command prompt in the eac3to directory try something like:

>eac3to C:\\Movie\\BDMV\\STREAM

As you've found: all the movie files are inside the 'BDVM\\STREAM' and there could be heaps of them. But the great thing is that you only have to feed the folder to eac3to and it works out the rest. As per JiffOrange's guide, after you've run that command, eac3to will present you with the available 'streams' inside that folder. Usually it's the first one you want. You can deduce which by looking at the running time shown next to each stream. So the next command would be:

>eac3to C:\\Movie\\BDMV\\STREAM 1)

Which then shows you what video, audio, chapter, (possibly subtitles working soon) are available in that particular 'stream'. Each part will have a number before it. And you use those numbers to extract what you want. So the last command usually looks something like:

>eac3to C:\\Movie\\BDMV\\STREAM 1)
1: C:\\extracted\\chapters.txt
2: C:\\extracted\\Main_Video.mkv
4: C:\\extracted\\Main_Audio.flac

And that's it. Do what you want with the files after that. I'm really impressed by the versatility of eac3to. This also works with HD-DVD

hope that helps,
Sim
post #149 of 3740 Old 07-05-2008, 07:35 PM
afx

Quote:
Originally Posted by vairulez View Post

simply because the directshow filters you use don't decode dts-hd master.
you should convert it to flac and use madshi's flac directshow filter

So what's decoding the DTS-HD Master Audio when it's in the M2TS container?
post #150 of 3740 Old 07-06-2008, 01:14 AM
Advanced Member

what player are you using for m2ts ?

sorry for my poor english but I'm french !!!!
Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page