*Official* Intel G45 DG45ID microATX HTPC Motherboard Thread - Page 27 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #781 of 2575 Old 09-15-2008, 04:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Unbelieveable.

It seems that my earlier woes might've all been down to cabling. One of my new HDMI cables really _doesn't_ like 1080p60. Will report back....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #782 of 2575 Old 09-15-2008, 06:05 PM

I just received the front panel IR receiver from Meritline, very easy to install and works right away, seem to have a small light, tough doesn't work on mine and I am glad, there are to many lights already, so far controls VMC. PDVD and I can send the machine to sleep and wake up.
post #783 of 2575 Old 09-15-2008, 06:12 PM
tsb
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanmac View Post

I got this one for my E8500:

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catal...ducts_id=21878

95L x 69W x 75H(mm)

Quiet and has a PWM fan.

The CPU header spins it at ~860RPM. It howls on startup but the BIOS quickly sends it down to that slow speed.

According to the specs, which probably aren't close to real world performance, that fan is already 19dBA and only pushing 7.78 CFM at the lowest setting.

Good fans will be quieter and give over 20 CFM in the real world. The biggest problem is most likely that the fan is too small to be quiet and efficient at the same time.
post #784 of 2575 Old 09-17-2008, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubama View Post

This is what is doing.
Set to sleep mode goes to sleep at the set time of 30 minutes, power light is off
At about 5 minutes re-start and then turn off, power light stays on.
Every 10 minutes start and turn off right away.
All this with network cable connected, if I disconnect the cable stays in sleep mode and power light off.
OS is Vista Ultimate

I still have the same problem, I tried several settings inside Vista power options, no luck.
Has any one found the fix?

Luis
post #785 of 2575 Old 09-17-2008, 06:23 AM

I have a serious problem with my HTPC, and I can't figure out, what the problem is.

When I press the reset button, the computer reboot, then it power off and 2 seconds after it power on again.

The same problem occours when I in Vista wakes the computer from standby. It power on for a few seconds, then power off again and power on afterwards.
I then have black screen and my keyboard (Dinovo Edge) can't get signal.

I have the DG45ID motherboard, Kingston Memory and Antec 2400.

Any ideas what the problem is?
I'm really lost on this one.
Hope someone can help!
post #786 of 2575 Old 09-17-2008, 08:23 AM

Any idea what the power draw on this board? Just got a Q9450 for nowt but I use a Silverstone LC11 and all I've got to play with is a PSU 240watt...I know the chip is 95watt, BD/DVD 20watt, 1TB HD 10watt, 20watts for ram and another say 5-10watts for USB dongle for DiNovo mini...I know the chip is overkill but hey didn't set me back anything!
post #787 of 2575 Old 09-17-2008, 09:37 AM

Quote:

Any idea what the power draw on this board?

With my LCD turned off my UPS is pulling 70W:

- E8500 (3.16GHz/65W)
- 8GB DDR2
- DG45ID
- 2 x 1TB Samsung F1
- OpenSolaris b97
- Pro/100S (drivers not working for onboard e1000)
- TurtleBeach USB audio (drivers not working for hdaudio)
- Logitech DiNovo (full-sized) BT dongle
- SATA DVD-burner
post #788 of 2575 Old 09-17-2008, 09:42 AM

Quote:

The biggest problem is most likely that the fan is too small to be quiet and efficient at the same time.

I would agree that my tolerance for noise might be higher than some people here (I withstand the noise from an XBOX360 extender -- horrible!)

But this is a very quiet setup. 800-900rpm is really really quiet and it's pointing right into the power supply's intake. The cooler's intake is pulling across the massive heatsink that Intel has in the middle of the board.

So the fans are definitely doing their job...
post #789 of 2575 Old 09-17-2008, 09:42 AM

I just built a machine using this board but cannot for the life of me get it to boot past the intel screen. It beeps once and there is a B3 listed in the corner. Ive tried two sets of ram on the compatible list to no avail. I hit tab and try to get into the bios but it just sits there saying "Entering Setup..."

Any ideas?

Got the intel e8600 and a scythe ninja mini without the fan.
got the hdd in sata0 and blu ray drive in sata1

gah. i'm desperate.
post #790 of 2575 Old 09-17-2008, 09:59 AM

Quote:

Any ideas?

Could it be a BIOS issue w/the E8600? I was under the impression that some boards required firmware updates to recognize the 8600 since it changed slightly. Do you have the latest? There was a new BIOS issued yesterday. But I assume the Intel mobo would come ready to work w/the E8600.

RSS: http://feeds.downloadcenter.intel.co...=2931&lang=eng

Update: According to the DG45ID manual POST code "B3" is "Enabling/configuring a fixed media". I'm assuming the code in the lower right-hand corner is actually a POST code.

Is your cabling bad? Do you have a boot disk? Try to boot off a known good DOS CD or USB stick.
post #791 of 2575 Old 09-17-2008, 10:24 AM

Plug in the fan, I remember having to lower the warning limits for large slow cooler fans (Scythe Ninja Plus) before on other boards. Worth a try
post #792 of 2575 Old 09-17-2008, 11:18 AM

Liked: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Regulator View Post

I just built a machine using this board but cannot for the life of me get it to boot past the intel screen. It beeps once and there is a B3 listed in the corner. Ive tried two sets of ram on the compatible list to no avail. I hit tab and try to get into the bios but it just sits there saying "Entering Setup..."

Any ideas?

gah. i'm desperate.

On my Asus version of this board I had to reset the BIOS when I first got the board. It would not post or anything.

Unplug the power supply and reset the BIOS with the jumper. Might fix it.
post #793 of 2575 Old 09-17-2008, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I think you hit F2 to enter setup, not Tab. To reset the Bios, remove the batt for a few secs. Put a small screwdriver under the front edge of the battery.
post #794 of 2575 Old 09-17-2008, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grittree View Post

I think you hit F2 to enter setup, not Tab. To reset the Bios, remove the batt for a few secs. Put a small screwdriver under the front edge of the battery.

I hit F2 attempting to get into the bios setup. Then I hit Tab to get rid of the intel logo screen. will try these recs after work. hopefully i can get this thing going.
post #795 of 2575 Old 09-17-2008, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianjm View Post

Unbelieveable.

It seems that my earlier woes might've all been down to cabling. One of my new HDMI cables really _doesn't_ like 1080p60. Will report back....

It was definitely the cable. Works flawlessly at 60Hz in Windows with a newer (better) cable. Will be returning the old one, it's either broken or so incredibly useless it doesn't work at all (which is how it is with HDMI cables, they either work flawlessly or they don't).

Anyway, initial results are looking promising, although I still can't get in to the BIOS from my TV since the AV receiver is only advertising 1080p and 720p, and I guess the BIOS is looking and failing to find something like 640x480 VGA so not displaying at all. Everything engages the moment Vista loads, though. Vista correctly gives me the option to pipe Audio to HDMI, and I can select 7.1 as well as 5.1 in the Configuration. Huzzah!
post #796 of 2575 Old 09-17-2008, 02:07 PM

Quote:

Any ideas?

gah. i'm desperate.

Do you have all of the power pins (both the 24 pin and 2x2) plugged in?
post #797 of 2575 Old 09-17-2008, 04:14 PM

Quote:

Any ideas?

gah. i'm desperate.

I built mine a week ago and I remember having the same code B3, tough I had not installed the hard drive and BIOS was seeking for one at the time, therefore the B3 code.
This are my settings at the moment and it works:
At BIOS, advanced, drive configuration
ATA/IDE mode Native
Configure SATA as IDE
Sata 0 Not installed
Sata 1 Hard Drive
Sata 2 Bluray Drive

Try it unless you are setting RAID.

Luis
post #798 of 2575 Old 09-17-2008, 07:29 PM

Quote:

Any ideas?

gah. i'm desperate.

Disconnect your Optical drive and it should let you into the BIOS. This board is very picky about what SATA channels the optical drive is on plus I have had three SATA based optical drives not work until the firmware on the drive was upgraded. The only other item that will usually flag a B3 is having the memory set to CAS 4, even though the option is in the BIOS, it does not work properly. Intel will remove it in the next update. After those two items, if your DDR2 modules are not capable of posting at 1.8V, then you are in trouble.
post #799 of 2575 Old 09-17-2008, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo13 View Post

Disconnect your Optical drive and it should let you into the BIOS. This board is very picky about what SATA channels the optical drive in on plus I have had three SATA based optical drives not work until the firmware was upgraded. The only other item that will usually flag a B3 is having the memory set to CAS 4, even though the option is in the BIOS, it does not work properly. Intel will remove it in the next update. After those two items, if your DDR2 modules are not capable of posting at 1.8V, then you are in trouble.

It was my Sony Blu Ray drive. Tossed in my LiteOn drive and it works. When you say update the firmware.. do you mean the firmware on my optical drive or intel board? Which SATA port works for optical? If it is just a firmware upgrade of my optical drive.. how can i update it if i cant boot into an o/s with it installed?
post #800 of 2575 Old 09-18-2008, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjur View Post

I have a serious problem with my HTPC, and I can't figure out, what the problem is.

When I press the reset button, the computer reboot, then it power off and 2 seconds after it power on again.

The same problem occours when I in Vista wakes the computer from standby. It power on for a few seconds, then power off again and power on afterwards.
I then have black screen and my keyboard (Dinovo Edge) can't get signal.

I have the DG45ID motherboard, Kingston Memory and Antec 2400.

Any ideas what the problem is?
I'm really lost on this one.
Hope someone can help!

Anyone that have a solution on my problem???

One more thing, regarding exclusive mode should I in configuration for HDMI device set my surround for 2 channels, 5 or 7?
I have a 5 speaker setup, but have read that to use exclusive mode it should be set to channels. Is that correct and should it be set to 5 or 7 channels when playing HD sound?
post #801 of 2575 Old 09-18-2008, 05:31 AM

Quote:

It was my Sony Blu Ray drive. Tossed in my LiteOn drive and it works. When you say update the firmware.. do you mean the firmware on my optical drive or intel board? Which SATA port works for optical? If it is just a firmware upgrade of my optical drive.. how can i update it if i cant boot into an o/s with it installed?

You need to upgrade the firmware on the drive, both my Sony's required it. The good news is that once I moved the drives off the same channel as the hard drive then I could get into the OS or a DOS boot to upgrade the firmware. Change the optical drive to SATA port three or five if I remember right if you have AHCI or RAID enabled in the BIOS, port four for enhanced IDE. I will check on it later today if those ports do not work.
post #802 of 2575 Old 09-18-2008, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo13 View Post

You need to upgrade the firmware on the drive, both my Sony's required it. The good news is that once I moved the drives off the same channel as the hard drive then I could get into the OS or a DOS boot to upgrade the firmware. Change the optical drive to SATA port three or five if I remember right if you have AHCI or RAID enabled in the BIOS, port four for enhanced IDE. I will check on it later today if those ports do not work.

Unless something has changed, each SATA port is a unique point to point connection to the controller. I.e. There is no channel sharing like there was in IDE.

Thus if you have 6 SATA connectors, you have 6 channels.

Perhaps things have changed since SATA was first introduced though.

nVidia needs to remember what a hard launch is and apply it to what's left of their motherboard chipset department. That is all.
post #803 of 2575 Old 09-18-2008, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjur View Post

Anyone that have a solution on my problem???

One more thing, regarding exclusive mode should I in configuration for HDMI device set my surround for 2 channels, 5 or 7?
I have a 5 speaker setup, but have read that to use exclusive mode it should be set to channels. Is that correct and should it be set to 5 or 7 channels when playing HD sound?

UPDATE:

I think it perhaps has something to do with my Kingston memory.

Please look at the two links, where I have taken a picture of my BIOS.

http://www.gratisupload.dk/download/15896/

http://www.gratisupload.dk/download/15897/

The memory shows as not installed at all, and there's a note.

When I removed them, and did a cold turkey, the system of course did a bip sound, but when I rebooted it didn't made that strange reboot.

Link to memory:
http://www.edbpriser.dk/Products/Lis....asp?ID=138806

Is that where the fault is located, and what does that note means?
post #804 of 2575 Old 09-18-2008, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James5mith View Post

Unless something has changed, each SATA port is a unique point to point connection to the controller. I.e. There is no channel sharing like there was in IDE.

Thus if you have 6 SATA connectors, you have 6 channels.

Perhaps things have changed since SATA was first introduced though.

I should have worded that differently, trying to make it simple which is not always the correct thing to do. The problem on this board and others is that disks attached to ports SATA0 and SATA1 may not actually correspond to those channels. In other words, Disk 0 may not be assigned to the hard disk on SATA0, and Disk 1 may not be assigned to the Optical disk on SATA1 in his example. You would expect the disk-assignment numbers on the ports to match the corresponding SATA channel numbers but this is not always the case depending on the BIOS design.

There is no assurance of a consistent relationship between PnP enumeration and the order of disks that are detected during setup (POST). Devices are presented to the system in the order in which they are enumerated and not by channel or port number. Therefore, the disk-assignment numbers may change between startups or when additional disks are added to the system.

On this particular board, having the optical drive on port one resulted in it actually being enumerated first, which normally would not be a problem, but these Sony drives with early firmware have not played nice with the Intel controllers. The system sees the drive and then tries to assign it a channel which does not occur and the BIOS run routine freezes at that point.

Changing the port assignment will usually allow the hard drive to be recognized and enumerated first and the system will either still throw the code, take a while and finally recognize the Sony Optical drive, or it will continue the POST process in most instances.

Either way, at least he can boot at this point. In the end, the channel numbers will change depending on AHCI, RAID, or Enhanced IDE settings for the drives. That is why at times you look in the BIOS and see that your primary drive is on SATA channel three even though you have it plugged into port 0 on the board.
post #805 of 2575 Old 09-18-2008, 08:04 PM

I just built a new computer for a friend using the DG45ID mobo, and installed Windows XP SP3 (slipstreamed with RAID drivers). I am trying it out with by pany professional 720P (1366 x 768) plasma (TH-50PH10UKA) via HDMI. The Intel GMA only lists two options for the display: 720 x 480 or 640 x 480. If I force it to go to 1280x768 the display forms a box in the middle of the screen using about 1/2 of the total area. Also, to add insult to injury, a balloon keeps popping up telling me the optimal display is 1920 x 1080. Can someone please help? I have the lates bios and graphics drivers intstalled.

Thanks!
Jeff
post #806 of 2575 Old 09-18-2008, 09:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Post your EDID. I suspect it has something in it indicating that 1080i or p is its native mode, and that it has little or nothing regarding 1366x768. Doesn't mean we can't force it, but let's see what you have first.

I do not speak officially in any sense for
Intel Corp., Technology Manufacturing Group
but I do work there.
post #807 of 2575 Old 09-19-2008, 11:20 AM

tried every sata port with the sony blu ray drive (BDU-X10S) but no boot. works fine with the liteon blu ray drive. luckily.

Anybody get DXVA to work with this board? I read on the other forum that mpc-hc is about to work but any update?
post #808 of 2575 Old 09-19-2008, 01:24 PM

I bought the intel dg45id and the Asus g45 mobo version.

both are having problems keeping the 1080p60 resolution to stay through HDMI. I've been trying different things for about a month with no progress.

The problem basically is whenever i tried to switch to 1920x1080, at first it switches but then my television displays "not supported mode". After a few seconds I see the desktop, but then it returns back to the error message. Most of the time I have it set to 720p so I can at least use it to some extent.
At one point setting it to 1080p30 worked but its not a pretty sight.

I have a 1080P Samsung HL-S5088W DLP HDTV,
Used a Trek 1.3 hdmi rated cable and also my xbox 360 elite HDMI cable
HDMI is straight to the television.

HTPC Computer is E8400, 4 gb memory, Windows Vista Ultimate 64bit., with blue ray liteon.

Powerstrip doesn't seem to help, I do have the EDID if you need it.

1080p60 works perfectly with the xbox 360 on either hdmi port.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

edit:
here is the edid info for my DLP set.
Monitor
Model name............... SAMSUNG
Windows desciption....... Generic PnP Monitor
Manufacturer............. Samsung
Plug and Play ID......... SAM01F5
Serial number............ n/a
Manufacture date......... 2005, ISO week 39
Filter driver............ monitor
-------------------------
EDID revision............ 1.3
Input signal type........ Digital
Color bit depth.......... Undefined
Display type............. RGB color
Screen size.............. 1290 x 730 mm (58.4")
Power management......... Not supported
Extension blocs.......... 1 (CEA-EXT)
-------------------------
DDC/CI support........... n/a

Color characteristics
Default color space...... Non-sRGB
Display gamma............ 2.20
Red chromaticity......... Rx 0.640 - Ry 0.340
Green chromaticity....... Gx 0.300 - Gy 0.620
Blue chromaticity........ Bx 0.150 - By 0.060
White point (default).... Wx 0.291 - Wy 0.300
Additional descriptors... None

Timing characteristics
Horizontal scan range.... 15-68kHz
Vertical scan range...... 59-61Hz
Video bandwidth.......... 150MHz
CVT standard............. Not supported
GTF standard............. Not supported
Additional descriptors... None
Preferred timing......... Yes
Native/preferred timing.. 1920x1080i at 60Hz (16:9)
Modeline............... "1920x1080" 74.250 1920 2008 2052 2200 1080 1084 1094 1124 interlace +hsync +vsync
Detailed timing #1....... 1280x720p at 60Hz (16:9)
Modeline............... "1280x720" 74.250 1280 1390 1430 1650 720 725 730 750 +hsync +vsync

Standard timings supported
640 x 480p at 60Hz - IBM VGA

EIA/CEA-861 Information
Revision number.......... 3
DTV underscan............ Not supported
Basic audio.............. Supported
YCbCr 4:4:4.............. Supported
YCbCr 4:2:2.............. Supported
YCbCr 4:2:2.............. Supported
Native formats........... 1
Detailed timing #1....... 720x480p at 60Hz (16:9)
Modeline............... "720x480" 27.000 720 736 798 858 480 489 495 525 -hsync -vsync
Detailed timing #2....... 1440x480i at 60Hz (16:9)
Modeline............... "1440x480" 27.000 1440 1478 1602 1716 480 488 494 524 interlace -hsync -vsync
Detailed timing #3....... 1920x1080p at 60Hz (16:9)
Modeline............... "1920x1080" 148.500 1920 2008 2052 2200 1080 1084 1089 1125 +hsync +vsync

CE timings supported
1920 x 1080i at 60Hz - HDTV (16:9, 1:1) [Native]
1280 x 720p at 60Hz - HDTV (16:9, 1:1)
720 x 480p at 60Hz - EDTV (16:9, 32:27)
720 x 480i at 60Hz - Doublescan (16:9, 32:27)
post #809 of 2575 Old 09-19-2008, 07:58 PM

post #810 of 2575 Old 09-20-2008, 07:07 AM

Have now updated BIOS but now it won't even let me boot past the welcome screen.
It has the number 51 in corner.
Have tried to remove jumper to config mode, but nothing and I can't even boot from USB/DVD drive.

I really hope someone has a working solution or else I will return this sh..
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page