*Official* Intel G45 DG45ID microATX HTPC Motherboard Thread - Page 30 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #871 of 2570 Old 09-25-2008, 01:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by James5mith View Post

Anandtech G45 motherboard roundup is out.

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets...oc.aspx?i=3417

Too bad they did not use any of the repeater fixes available. They simply said it was not possible to use a AVR due to the repeater issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #872 of 2570 Old 09-25-2008, 01:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
It's just that the extra power draw of a quad "might" trigger the whine "if" your particular board is predisposed to whine...

Jim White
St. Petersburg, FL
post #873 of 2570 Old 09-25-2008, 01:14 PM
bcc

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrsage View Post

Too bad they did not use any of the repeater fixes available. They simply said it was not possible to use a AVR due to the repeater issue.

The repeater mode support still results in HDCP failure and aborted blu-ray playback when you switch inputs on the AVR. I'd say the repeater mode support is essentially pre-beta quality because of this.
post #874 of 2570 Old 09-25-2008, 02:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogweed75 View Post

Are you saying not to use a Quad core processor with this board? I was looking at the Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz. Should I stick with a dual core?

Thanks!

If thats a G0 SLACR variation of the chip it will work fine. I was using it for a while and it didn't cause any problems. Used the stock fan too.
post #875 of 2570 Old 09-25-2008, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimwhite View Post

It's just that the extra power draw of a quad "might" trigger the whine "if" your particular board is predisposed to whine...

I used a Q9300 - 2GB - Vista 32 - 1TB and Liteon 401 with this board. Built my kit in mid August. It booted first time and has run without problems since (including BD playback). I have only had one minor unknown GPU driver install issue that fixed with a retry. The entire rig is very stable and everything works as expected.

I have heard the 'whine' only a few times (and only when opening a large text file in Wordpad). Apart from that it is very quiet for all my usual theatre and desktop operations.
post #876 of 2570 Old 09-25-2008, 02:57 PM

Cyberlink claims PDVD8 Ultra "Now supports HDMI repeater" with the 2021a update.

http://www.cyberlink.com/multi/downl...hes_1_ENU.html
post #877 of 2570 Old 09-25-2008, 03:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Übermensch View Post

Cyberlink claims PDVD8 Ultra "Now supports HDMI repeater" with the 2021a update.

http://www.cyberlink.com/multi/downl...hes_1_ENU.html

I installed that earlier today and when I tried it, it did not pass the signal. Got the error message about not being compliant. I am using an Onkyo TX-SR705 receiver.
post #878 of 2570 Old 09-25-2008, 03:27 PM

I'm in the unusual situation of running out of things to try to get this thing working. I can't get a signal from either the DVI-D port or HDMI port. If I use a DVI -> VGA adapter I get a signal no problem. Some things I've tried to date:

- Updated BIOS to the latest
- Switching boards (I had a second one for another build I was going to do)
- Connecting HDMI directly to my projector (Sony VPL-HW10), through my receiver (Denon 3808 with most recent firmware) to projector, and directly to monitor (Dell 2001FP) using HDMI -> DVI cable.
- Connecting DVI directly to monitor, DVI to receiver using DVI -> HDMI cable
- Media Center 2005 (with both sp1 and sp3) with 2 different video drivers (including latest)
- Vista Ultimate sp1 with 3 different video drivers (including latest)

The only glimmer of hope I had was on MCE2005 I saw the Denon listed in MonInfo showing the proper EDID, but I'm not sure when or how it got there. I haven't been able to get the Intel control panel to show me anything other then a single monitor connected VGA. I feel like there must be a huge "turn on digital video out" switch I'm missing somewhere.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

-apnar
post #879 of 2570 Old 09-25-2008, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcc View Post

The repeater mode support still results in HDCP failure and aborted blu-ray playback when you switch inputs on the AVR. I'd say the repeater mode support is essentially pre-beta quality because of this.

I have not tested this. I will pop in Planet Earth on HD-DVD with TMT and see if it happens to me.

What you are saying is to change the source on the AVR (such as change from HTPC to Wii), then change back. Doing this triggers the HDCP error.

Does it matter if the second source is component? I only have one HDMI source.

EDIT: Just finished testing. I was playing Planet Earth HD-DVD number 2 (BEAUTIFUL!!! Jumping in the swallows cave...so cool). I changed to AVR Input 2, which is my Wii via component. I waited until it synced up and I could see the Wii, then switched back. It was still playing the HD-DVD when I switched back. No errors.

EDIT 2: I have the ASUS G45 feeding a Denon 3808CI, which feeds a Panasonic TH-42PZ700U, all via HDMI.
post #880 of 2570 Old 09-25-2008, 04:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I have not tested this. I will pop in Planet Earth on HD-DVD with TMT and see if it happens to me.

What you are saying is to change the source on the AVR (such as change from HTPC to Wii), then change back. Doing this triggers the HDCP error.

Does it matter if the second source is component? I only have one HDMI source.

EDIT: Just finished testing. I was playing Planet Earth HD-DVD number 2 (BEAUTIFUL!!! Jumping in the swallows cave...so cool). I changes to AVR Input 2, which is my Wii via component. I wanted until it synced up and I could see the Wii, then switched back. It was still playing the HD-DVD when I switched back. No errors.

What receiver do you have? The repeater issue seems to be somewhat AVR dependent.

... Also, just to confirm ... is this with the Intel board?
post #881 of 2570 Old 09-25-2008, 05:26 PM
bcc

Liked: 11
Quote:

Yes, or power cycle your monitor. Doesn't matter whether the other input is HDCP compliant or component or what. If I change inputs rapidly enough (like 2 seconds or less), sometimes I don't lose HDCP. Otherwise I do. Tested with TMT and briefly with windvd.
Quote:

I changes to AVR Input 2, which is my Wii via component. I wanted until it synced up and I could see the Wii, then switched back. It was still playing the HD-DVD when I switched back. No errors.

Wow, you're lucky. Or maybe hd-dvd is a special case. [update: tried hd-dvd as well, same failure] Problem may also depend upon how quickly one's components handle HDCP hotswap events.

Sure wish the drivers/TMT would retry negotiation till they succeed instead of just throwing an error and aborting playback.
post #882 of 2570 Old 09-25-2008, 05:29 PM
AVS Special Member

TMT and Windvd all ready work with repeaters. Powerdvd hasn't in the past. Has anyone got that program to work?
post #883 of 2570 Old 09-25-2008, 07:01 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm running a Q9300, no problems....oh that whine is just your wives.

My HT

In the words of English philosopher Edmund Burke, ÂAll that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.Â
post #884 of 2570 Old 09-25-2008, 09:06 PM
tsb
AVS Special Member

quick question

can you disable fan control in the bios?

I will use 3 Zalman Fanmate 2 manual controllers, so I don't want the MB to interact with the fans.

If it can't be disabled, I'll have to switch to 3pin-->molex and forgo the MB headers. That would actually make my wiring a little neater as well since my HDDs are in hot-swap adapters than run off molex instead of the SATA power connectors.
post #885 of 2570 Old 09-25-2008, 10:31 PM

Hi guys,

I'm new to this forum, though I have been reading it many times (and you had all my questions answered! )

I'm interested in this mobo and had 2 questions:

1) My TV is full hd 1920x1080i. Will I have any display issues (due to 1080i) if I connect this mobo to my TV via HDMI? Or it will be displayed correctly, similar as on a 1080p TV?

2) Which case (slim, no more than 10cm high) do you recommend for this mobo? It would be great if it's silent.

Thanks in advance,
alorent
post #886 of 2570 Old 09-26-2008, 01:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcc View Post

Yes, or power cycle your monitor. Doesn't matter whether the other input is HDCP compliant or component or what. If I change inputs rapidly enough (like 2 seconds or less), sometimes I don't lose HDCP. Otherwise I do. Tested with TMT and briefly with windvd.
Wow, you're lucky. Or maybe hd-dvd is a special case. [update: tried hd-dvd as well, same failure] Problem may also depend upon how quickly one's components handle HDCP hotswap events.

Sure wish the drivers/TMT would retry negotiation till they succeed instead of just throwing an error and aborting playback.

I assume you have the persistence driver (igfxpers.exe) disabled?

Oh, and a fallback DTD for those awkward missing EDID moments.

Without doing both these things we found hot-swapping while playing back any content was a lottery.

Don't forget that these "tweaks" are undone after a driver update.

Wo0zy
post #887 of 2570 Old 09-26-2008, 03:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsb View Post

Seems to be a great board if you don't get a whiner. You just need to use 4GB or less of 5-5-5-16 timed RAM and a dual core CPU.

@tsb: I have 4 GB Kingston ValueRAM 4 x 1 GB / DUAL RAM / DDR2 SDRAM / PC2-5300CL5 / 667.

From the datasheet I found the following about latency:

Clock Cycle Time (tCK) CL=5 3ns (min.) / 8ns (max.)
Row Cycle Time (tRC) 54ns (min.)
Refresh to Active/Refresh Command Time (tRFC) 105ns
Row Active Time (tRAS) 39ns (min.) / 70,000ns (max.)
Single Power Supply of +1.8V (+/- .1V)
Power 1.872 W (operating per module)
UL Rating 94 V - 0

I had big problems earlier, when the BIOS couldn't find my memory and when I pressed reset, it resat two times, and in Vista it rebootet twice when coming from sleep and no picture and couldn't use it afterwards.
I thing my memory is perhaps the reason.

If I should replace them, which other memory will for sure work with the latency you mention, and not to expensive?
post #888 of 2570 Old 09-26-2008, 05:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
KVR is the gold standard of memory for Intel boards. Try just using one stick first, in the slot closest to CPU.
post #889 of 2570 Old 09-26-2008, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grittree View Post

KVR is the gold standard of memory for Intel boards. Try just using one stick first, in the slot closest to CPU.

So are you actually saying, that my memory with that latency should be enough? I will try again.
post #890 of 2570 Old 09-26-2008, 05:55 AM

My DG45ID was having noise/whine issues with Crucial ballistic memory (2.0V) . Everything worked great but the noise. I tried some 1.8V kvr800d2n5/1g RAM and the damn thing wouldn't post/boot properly with anything more than 1 RAM module installed.

I am RMA'ing my board. We will see what happens when I get the new board.
post #891 of 2570 Old 09-26-2008, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wo0zy View Post

Don't forget that these "tweaks" are undone after a driver update.

Wo0zy

Does the .2. version of the drivers do anything special over the .0. version of the drivers?

I am using the .0. version and have no problems or issues (I do have the EDID manually entered due to paranoia even though I did not have any problems). I fear moving to a new driver and therein gain problems.

As a note, my display cannot do 24Hz.
post #892 of 2570 Old 09-26-2008, 08:19 AM
tsb
AVS Special Member

any of you guys with the board know if fan control can be disabled?

cybrsage - how's the P5Q-EM working out for you? I wish it had E-SATA and IR headers.

If my Intel board is a whiner I'll probably sell it and the two front panel receivers I bought and get the Asus
post #893 of 2570 Old 09-26-2008, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 720p View Post

not so fast
just turned receiver/tv on, no picture just hdmi trying & failing to sync
back to the old drivers no problems

720p, I am actually using 15.11.2b release of the driver. Seems to be an unsupported version that Intel released to fix EDID sync problems on some TVs. It's not easy to find on the Intel's site, but here's the link: http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/CS-028366.htm
post #894 of 2570 Old 09-26-2008, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wo0zy View Post

Confirmed
maratb,

By the sounds of things the standard timing is fine for you but for reference you could have copied the full EDID from the Intel Diagnostic Report into the Interpret EDID tool in DTDCalc, grab the DTD advertised by your TV and written that to the registry.
Wo0zy

Wo0zy,

That's essentially what I did. I used MonInfo to grab EDID, but then discovered that the "preferred modeline" listed in EDID is exactly the same as the standard timing in DTD. So, I didn't use "Interpret EDID" and just wrote the standard timings to the registry.

MaratB.
post #895 of 2570 Old 09-26-2008, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Does the .2. version of the drivers do anything special over the .0. version of the drivers?

I am using the .0. version and have no problems or issues (I do have the EDID manually entered due to paranoia even though I did not have any problems). I fear moving to a new driver and therein gain problems.

As a note, my display cannot do 24Hz.

I can say I've not seen much benefit to the .2's over the .1's so far but they don't seem any worse to me either. It's a shame they still have the incorrect release notes on the download site.

However, 15.11.1.1545 included some fixes that are significant (http://downloadmirror.intel.com/1693...nvista_gfx.htm)

Wo0zy
post #896 of 2570 Old 09-26-2008, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbe View Post

I installed that earlier today and when I tried it, it did not pass the signal. Got the error message about not being compliant. I am using an Onkyo TX-SR705 receiver.

Same here. No BD or HDDVD on any of my TX-SR805's HDMI inputs after the 2021a upgrade. AnyDVD still works
post #897 of 2570 Old 09-26-2008, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsb View Post

any of you guys with the board know if fan control can be disabled?

cybrsage - how's the P5Q-EM working out for you? I wish it had E-SATA and IR headers.

If my Intel board is a whiner I'll probably sell it and the two front panel receivers I bought and get the Asus

No complaints at all. No header for that front panel thing, but I do not use them so no big deal.

I have full fan control, can overclock, etc. Seems to work just fine for me.
post #898 of 2570 Old 09-26-2008, 02:14 PM

Has anyone experienced excessive spin up and spin down of the fan on this motherboard. While the computer is ide not intensive process like video utilization or disk copies the fan will cut on and off periodically.
thanks
black_13
post #899 of 2570 Old 09-26-2008, 04:13 PM
tsb
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by black_13 View Post

Has anyone experienced excessive spin up and spin down of the fan on this motherboard. While the computer is ide not intensive process like video utilization or disk copies the fan will cut on and off periodically.
thanks
black_13

this is the exact reason I hope the fan control can be disabled.
post #900 of 2570 Old 09-26-2008, 04:16 PM
tsb
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No complaints at all. No header for that front panel thing, but I do not use them so no big deal.

I have full fan control, can overclock, etc. Seems to work just fine for me.

Thanks I'll consider it if I get a whiner. the Nvidia 9400 does look pretty sweet though.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page