*Official* Intel G45 DG45ID microATX HTPC Motherboard Thread - Page 31 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #901 of 2575 Old 09-26-2008, 07:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is anyone successfully using the DG45ID with SageTv?

If you are would you please post your operating system, decoder filters, etc.

Thanks!

Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 2575 Old 09-27-2008, 04:42 PM
bcc

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wo0zy View Post

I assume you have the persistence driver (igfxpers.exe) disabled?

Yes, otherwise I'd be having problems with my screen resolution being changed on me during these state transitions. I no longer have such problems with igfxpers disabled.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wo0zy View Post

Oh, and a fallback DTD for those awkward missing EDID moments.

Without doing both these things we found hot-swapping while playing back any content was a lottery.

Don't forget that these "tweaks" are undone after a driver update.

Regardless of whether my plasma is on or off, or whether my avr is tuned to the htpc input or another one, the intel diagnostic report shows that it is able to read the complete EDID. Yet in transitioning between these states, HDCP handshaking regularly fails for me. So I'm skeptical how copying my EDID to the registry helps the situation. Can you explain why you are recommending it for this case?

In fact it is exactly because such registry changes need to be managed and redone over&over upon each driver reinstall that I don't want to start maintaining special monitor state in the registry. That is what I used to have to do with powerstrip and it got old real fast. It is why I went to a lot of trouble to flash my plasma's EDID directly. Now that I have done so I don't want to go back unless there's a real good reason (no offense).

From the evidence, it looks like repeater mode HDCP handshaking issues are independent of the intel driver issues with EDID.

Anybody know of an HDCP handshake diagnostic tool?
post #903 of 2575 Old 09-27-2008, 05:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcc View Post

I'd be having problems with my screen resolution being changed on me durYes, otherwise ing these state transitions. I no longer have such problems with igfxpers disabled.Regardless of whether my plasma is on or off, or whether my avr is tuned to the htpc input or another one, the intel diagnostic report shows that it is able to read the complete EDID. Yet in transitioning between these states, HDCP handshaking regularly fails for me. So I'm skeptical how copying my EDID to the registry helps the situation. Can you explain why you are recommending it for this case?

In fact it is exactly because such registry changes need to be managed and redone over&over upon each driver reinstall that I don't want to start maintaining special monitor state in the registry. That is what I used to have to do with powerstrip and it got old real fast. It is why I went to a lot of trouble to flash my plasma's EDID directly. Now that I have done so I don't want to go back unless there's a real good reason (no offense).

From the evidence, it looks like repeater mode HDCP handshaking issues are independent of the intel driver issues with EDID.

Anybody know of an HDCP handshake diagnostic tool?

No offense taken.

Wish I could replicate the problem but sadly I can't. Will have another try on Tuesday when I'm back in the office. I have a reason to do a fresh installation on one of the demo systems anyway and will try to break HDCP before perfoming any "tweaks".

Will let you know how it goes.

Wo0zy

post #904 of 2575 Old 09-28-2008, 09:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I was doing some drive swapping in my hotswap bay and noticed some things in the bios and how the ports are changing.
This board does seem to be having problems with optical drives.
Although mine is working fine (Liteon LH-20A1S), it seems to get confused depending on what is plugged in.
The bios showing 2 dvd drives now (switched drives around).
I guess that is better than the 77 bios which had no drive info.

Update: Intel Matrix storage manager shows things properly so this seems to just be bios sloppiness. Not surprised....
Oh I was able to replicate that chatter noise by swapping things around. It was coming from the board but very hard to located it.
Not sure what was the actual cause yet....did it once with one HDD and the DVD drive.

My HT

In the words of English philosopher Edmund Burke, ÂAll that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.Â
post #905 of 2575 Old 09-28-2008, 11:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I am a little bit confused.

Could I use G45 to output 5.1/7.1 untouched LPCM for unprotected/ripped m2ts stream using MPC or Zoomplayer with open source decoder like ffmpeg?

Computer-Onkyo SR705-TV would work?

This PAP/repeater mess only matters when using TMT/Powerdvd to play commercial bluray disc?

Last, would 24p issue be fixed ever?

HDPLEX
post #906 of 2575 Old 09-28-2008, 12:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lymzy View Post

I am a little bit confused.

Could I use G45 to output 5.1/7.1 untouched LPCM for unprotected/ripped m2ts stream using MPC or Zoomplayer with open source decoder like ffmpeg?

I only have the G965, but you can do it there (provided your open source decoder does the full range; I believe ffmpeg (or was it ffdshow?) is limited at 48/16). Madflac supposedly does 192/24.

Quote:

This PAP/repeater mess only matters when using TMT/Powerdvd to play commercial bluray disc?

Correct.

Quote:

Don't know.

I do not speak officially in any sense for
Intel Corp., Technology Manufacturing Group
but I do work there.
post #907 of 2575 Old 09-29-2008, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lymzy View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by archibael View Post

Don't know.

Has this even been confirmed to be an issue? I've seen a few posters here say that they havent had any problem with 1080/24p playback and only one post saying otherwise (stutters every 10 seconds or so). I didnt see any mention of this in the anandtech article either.

And IF it really is an issue, does it only affect hardware accelerated playback or is it visible with unaccelerated playback too?

(Edit: I'd test this myself but my whining DG45ID is currently being replaced.)
post #908 of 2575 Old 09-29-2008, 04:54 AM

I had the stuttering each 10 seconds. I was only a little bit but it was noticable.
post #909 of 2575 Old 09-29-2008, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjur View Post

I had the stuttering each 10 seconds. I was only a little bit but it was noticable.

Please elaborate:
What video were you playing (bluray/matroska/whatever)?
What was the fps of the video?
What player?
Was the playback hardware accelerated? Does it stutter if you turn hardware acceleration off?

How did you configure the 24p output exactly, did you use powerstrip, dtdcalc? Did you try reclock?

(Does your display support 24p?)
post #910 of 2575 Old 09-29-2008, 05:29 AM

Blu-Ray/HD DVD
Resolution 1080p 24 hz. Setup in Intel configuration window.
HA enabled.
No powerstrip etc.
Using Vista.
Pioneer 508XD with 1080p 24 hz support.
post #911 of 2575 Old 09-29-2008, 05:30 AM
tsb
AVS Forum Special Member

anyone with the front panel IR receiver know if it works through cases with doors that have side vents?

I've been doing some testing on the standard IR receiver and it seems to work pretty well even when I cover it up
just wondered if it would work in this case with the door closed

also, can anyone please confirm whether or not the fan control can be completely disabled in the bios

thanks
post #912 of 2575 Old 09-29-2008, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apnar View Post

I'm in the unusual situation of running out of things to try to get this thing working. I can't get a signal from either the DVI-D port or HDMI port. If I use a DVI -> VGA adapter I get a signal no problem. Some things I've tried to date:

- Updated BIOS to the latest
- Switching boards (I had a second one for another build I was going to do)
- Connecting HDMI directly to my projector (Sony VPL-HW10), through my receiver (Denon 3808 with most recent firmware) to projector, and directly to monitor (Dell 2001FP) using HDMI -> DVI cable.
- Connecting DVI directly to monitor, DVI to receiver using DVI -> HDMI cable
- Media Center 2005 (with both sp1 and sp3) with 2 different video drivers (including latest)
- Vista Ultimate sp1 with 3 different video drivers (including latest)

The only glimmer of hope I had was on MCE2005 I saw the Denon listed in MonInfo showing the proper EDID, but I'm not sure when or how it got there. I haven't been able to get the Intel control panel to show me anything other then a single monitor connected VGA. I feel like there must be a huge "turn on digital video out" switch I'm missing somewhere.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

-apnar

Anyone have anything else they can think for me to try before I talk to Intel?

Thanks,

-apnar
post #913 of 2575 Old 09-29-2008, 08:48 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve52 View Post

Is anyone successfully using the DG45ID with SageTv?
If you are would you please post your operating system, decoder filters, etc.
Thanks!

Yes...
OS = XP SP3
I don't remember the decoder filter, but it was one of the most "advanced" ones.
I don't have much on the machine yet... I have had it up less than a week, but I didn't have to do anything special to get Sage to work with ATSC HD streams.

One thing that does work right now is the Netflix on demand service, which just crashes the browser almost instantly.
post #914 of 2575 Old 09-30-2008, 07:02 AM

I'm working on using MythTv and building separate front end and back ends. I was wondering if anyone with linux background could tell me if they foresee any hardware problems with linux. Also, I'm unsure about the case and whether everything will fit. So if anyone has more experience with these parts please share some insight. Thanks.

Here are my specs:

Silverstone LC19B-R Micro ATX
Intel DG45ID Micro ATX Motherboard
Intel Core 2 Duo E7200
G.Skill 2GB 240-pin DDR2 800
Patriot 32GB SATAII SSD

Not sure on a tuner yet. I've been told the pcHDTV HD-5500 was good with linux. I may just use HDHomeRun.

I would post links but it won't let me till I have 3 posts. You can find all of the parts on newegg.
post #915 of 2575 Old 09-30-2008, 07:34 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Hi Guys, I just put together a pc w/ DG45ID 2.8ghz quad processor, 8g memory, and LG super multi HD and BluRay drive. It all worked out of the box, then I upgraded the LG's OEM power DVD v7 to the v8 ultra, and now BluRay has sound, but video is a green screen and then I get an error=0122. I am working with cyberlink (power dvd) but thought some of you may have run into this and resolved it already. I know they are going to tell me that I need a video card... I updated all of the intel drivers, bios, LG firmware, etc. but no luck yet. Standard DVD works still.

If they can't resolve it, I hope I can uninstall it, get my money back, and reload the OEM disc,,,,

Thanks,
Dave
Atlanta
post #916 of 2575 Old 09-30-2008, 07:45 AM

Try to set PaVP in bios to lite instead of Paranoid.
post #917 of 2575 Old 09-30-2008, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneakyhippie View Post

I'm working on using MythTv and building separate front end and back ends. I was wondering if anyone with linux background could tell me if they foresee any hardware problems with linux. Also, I'm unsure about the case and whether everything will fit. So if anyone has more experience with these parts please share some insight. Thanks.

Here are my specs:

Silverstone LC19B-R Micro ATX
Intel DG45ID Micro ATX Motherboard
Intel Core 2 Duo E7200
G.Skill 2GB 240-pin DDR2 800
Patriot 32GB SATAII SSD

Not sure on a tuner yet. I've been told the pcHDTV HD-5500 was good with linux. I may just use HDHomeRun.

I would post links but it won't let me till I have 3 posts. You can find all of the parts on newegg.

Fedora 10 alpha wouldn't run successfully after install. I'm going to try the beta when it comes out. Phoronix had some success with the Ubuntu alpha. Support for the G45 is brand spanking new so expect trouble while it gets worked out over the next few months. Of course, it's kind of the same story in windows land so thats the cost of the latest and greatest hardware.

For ATSC/OTA I have good success with the pcHDTV HD-5500, but it seems they haven't refreshed the part since I bought it a year and a half ago. Some of the newer USB stuff might work better but I have no experience with it.

For S-video input (from a DirecTV STB) I really like the Hauppauge WinTV-PVR-USB2. The plextor convertx gives files about 1/2 the size but they are a lot softer and I've also used very successfully.

For HD/Composite support, I'm waiting with bated breath for full support for the Hauppauge HD-PVR 1212. Support in mythtv svn head is in but apparently still fidgety.
post #918 of 2575 Old 09-30-2008, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneakyhippie View Post

I'm working on using MythTv and building separate front end and back ends. I was wondering if anyone with linux background could tell me if they foresee any hardware problems with linux.

Update ... F10 beta is available today (along with Omega 10 beta, apparently F10 with VLC and all the codecs you'd normally have to install yourself). I'll try to install it on my rig as soon as I get a chance.

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag..._10_beta&num=1
post #919 of 2575 Old 09-30-2008, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjur View Post

Try to set PaVP in bios to lite instead of Paranoid.

Seems I remember seeing something in the bios that had paranoid as a choice, but I just downloaded the latest bios version yesterday, and now I don't see it....

Dave
post #920 of 2575 Old 09-30-2008, 07:30 PM

OK, solved my own problem....I just downloaded a patch from Cyberlink that fixed my issue. I guess just because you download a new version of a program, it isn't always going to be the latest version of the program.

Dave
Atlanta...
post #921 of 2575 Old 10-02-2008, 07:52 AM

I have a little question regarding how to play back HD movies on my computer.

I'm running with a gigabyte version of this board + Intel E8400 CPU.

My Codecs are:
Haali Media Splitter
Core AVC
AC3 Filter

But where can i select the GPU to take over the Process when playing movies?
ex. 720P, 1080P, Matroska encoded...
So my CPU doesn't use all its power to show the movie?

right now when i play back an .mkv bluray rip (ex. 720p) The CPU Load is about 40-50%, i think this is a little overkill!? So maybe the GPU isn't helping the CPU?
post #922 of 2575 Old 10-02-2008, 08:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

The HW acceleration won't be engaged unless the filter specifically supports it. PowerDVD, WinDVD, and Arcsoft filters from the latest versions should, though sometimes said filters are particular about which software they run with before delivering up the goods.

We're trying to get MPC-HC filters enabled, but meeting some internal resistance to publishing the information needed to do so (there's evidently some proprietary info in there which has to be sorted through).

but I do work there.
post #923 of 2575 Old 10-02-2008, 08:47 AM

Okay

That's why i don't get hardware acceleration?
But i think my movies is encoded in x264, does the GPU support that?

I cannot run WinDVD or PowerDVD, beacuse i'm using Vista Media center, and run my movies through that (With MyMovies) And im pretty sure it don't support WinDVD or PowerDVD?
post #924 of 2575 Old 10-02-2008, 08:53 AM
tsb
AVS Forum Special Member

finally got everything shipped from the US

two questions

1. Can the fan control in the bios be disabled? I've asked this numerous times, but no one seems to want to answer this simple question.

2. I plan to use AHCI mode. Do I need to install the supplied drivers before installing the September build of Vista Ultimate SP1 x64, or will the necessary drivers be on the Vista disk?

Thanks.
post #925 of 2575 Old 10-02-2008, 09:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by rasmuskarlsen View Post

Okay

That's why i don't get hardware acceleration?
But i think my movies is encoded in x264, does the GPU support that?

I cannot run WinDVD or PowerDVD, beacuse i'm using Vista Media center, and run my movies through that (With MyMovies) And im pretty sure it don't support WinDVD or PowerDVD?

You need powerdvd for the codecs, not the player. You need the cyberlink AVC/H264 codec.
Once installed you can use graphedit to see what your files are using in terms of codecs. If it's not using the right ones you just need to then use radlight filter manager to adjust the priority of the codecs, up or down, so it will use the codecs you want.
Then you have HA.

Streaming Devices: Nvidia Shield TV, 2x Roku 3's, 1st and 2nd gen chromecast, Amazon Fire TV stick 2nd gen, Apple TV 4, xbox 360, xbox one
Displays: Vizio M602i-B3, LG OLED65B6, panasonic ax100u on a 145" S-I-L-V-E-R painted screen, 40" Samsung(don't recall model #)
Receivers: Denon X3300, Yamaha RX-V663. Bluray/UHD player: Oppo UDP-203
Retired - HTPC: Intel e6300 2.8ghz, Intel DG45ID, 2gb DDR2, Radeon 5570, MCE IR receiver
post #926 of 2575 Old 10-02-2008, 09:49 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by archibael View Post

The HW acceleration won't be engaged unless the filter specifically supports it. PowerDVD, WinDVD, and Arcsoft filters from the latest versions should, though sometimes said filters are particular about which software they run with before delivering up the goods.

We're trying to get MPC-HC filters enabled, but meeting some internal resistance to publishing the information needed to do so (there's evidently some proprietary info in there which has to be sorted through).

why wouldn't intel follow the specs microsoft has put out there? i just don't understand
post #927 of 2575 Old 10-02-2008, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by archer75 View Post

You need powerdvd for the codecs, not the player. You need the cyberlink AVC/H264 codec.
Once installed you can use graphedit to see what your files are using in terms of codecs. If it's not using the right ones you just need to then use radlight filter manager to adjust the priority of the codecs, up or down, so it will use the codecs you want.
Then you have HA.

Okay... But do i then have to delete my current codecs!?

Core AVC, og Haali Media Splitter?
post #928 of 2575 Old 10-02-2008, 12:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by plat View Post

why wouldn't intel follow the specs microsoft has put out there? i just don't understand

Intel follows the specs in that they provide a DXVA hook for their decode acceleration-- the specs don't say you have to provide the specific ones they enumerate, just that those are the ones recognized globally to work.

I'm unclear as to why we're not providing the default one; possibly we have wired the decoder directly into ClearVideo rather than having separate decode and video processing hooks, and that's non-standard, even if it may work better for our architecture. But that's utter speculation-- I have no real idea.

but I do work there.
post #929 of 2575 Old 10-02-2008, 12:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasmuskarlsen View Post

Okay... But do i then have to delete my current codecs!?

Core AVC, og Haali Media Splitter?

Not at all. Radlight Filter Manager just alters the priority of which filter Windows attempts to use, it doesn't delete anything.

Core AVC will not be used with HW acceleration anyway, and Haali splits your file into audio and video before it even goes to the decoder, so neither of these should be affected (Core AVC will be bypassed, Haali will still be used).

but I do work there.
post #930 of 2575 Old 10-02-2008, 12:44 PM

Archibael,

I don't understand. ATI has AVIVO, and nVidia has Purevideo. What video decoder should be used for the Intel IGP?

Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page