*Official* Intel G45 DG45ID microATX HTPC Motherboard Thread - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #91 of 2575 Old 07-23-2008, 07:23 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by plat View Post

my question is does it handle 1080i correctly. that seems to be the chink the armor of the currently IGPs.

I'm wondering if you meant to say 1080p. I currently have G965 (X3000) and have no problem with 1080i (and 720p) what-so-ever. However, playback of 1080p and the X3000 is choking and spatting all over the place.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 2575 Old 07-23-2008, 08:24 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by quantumstate View Post

Whelp, I am not buying from Sparco.

I never asked them to cancel my order! I guess they saw my post above here and got mad, so canceled me. Hell with them. Left my opinion of them on ResellerRatings.com .

Any recommendations where to buy?

How did they get your "forum name"? Did you place the order using it (assuming it is not your legal name).
post #93 of 2575 Old 07-23-2008, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equally_Wrong View Post

I'm wondering if you meant to say 1080p. I currently have G965 (X3000) and have no problem with 1080i (and 720p) what-so-ever. However, playback of 1080p and the X3000 is choking and spatting all over the place.

no i mean 1080i, we haven't seen an IGP that does motion/vector-adaptive deinterlacing on 1080i yet.
post #94 of 2575 Old 07-23-2008, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryBumkin View Post

How did they get your "forum name"? Did you place the order using it (assuming it is not your legal name).

They didn't need his name, he posted his order number. If that's truly what happened, that's shady for them to cancel his order.
post #95 of 2575 Old 07-23-2008, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by plat View Post

no i mean 1080i, we haven't seen an IGP that does motion/vector-adaptive deinterlacing on 1080i yet.

From the data I have seen, when Advanced De-interlacing and Film Mode Detection are properly enabled in software (I saw results from beta commercial DVD software whose name I shall not mention), the G45 posted perfect scores in the Video Resolution Loss and Film Resolution Loss tests. Note that these are internal tests and should certainly be taken with a grain of salt until verified on commercial equipment/software.

I did not see results for HD Jaggies and HD Noise Reduction, but I'm fairly certain HD Denoise isn't coming until the next generation IGP anyway, so I don't expect miracles there.

I do not speak officially in any sense for
Intel Corp., Technology Manufacturing Group
but I do work there.
post #96 of 2575 Old 07-23-2008, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by archibael View Post

From the data I have seen, when Advanced De-interlacing and Film Mode Detection are properly enabled in software (I saw results from beta commercial DVD software whose name I shall not mention), the G45 posted perfect scores in the Video Resolution Loss and Film Resolution Loss tests. Note that these are internal tests and should certainly be taken with a grain of salt until verified on commercial equipment/software.

I did not see results for HD Jaggies and HD Noise Reduction, but I'm fairly certain HD Denoise isn't coming until the next generation IGP anyway, so I don't expect miracles there.

that is good to hear
post #97 of 2575 Old 07-23-2008, 11:32 AM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by tekmassa View Post

They didn't need his name, he posted his order number. If that's truly what happened, that's shady for them to cancel his order.

Right. I substituted my nick here for my (ostensible) real name in my post above, but the order number was real.

But I have now ordered from another supplier who has it cheaper, and is a bigger company so hopefully will have more pull. AFAIC Sparco sucks azz, knocking me off the early list.
post #98 of 2575 Old 07-23-2008, 12:53 PM
dj9
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equally_Wrong View Post

Just about any IGP with enough memory bandwidth can play 1920x1080 at 24 fps, as long as the CPU can decode it. This includes 1080i film content if pulldown is performed in software.

I have personally had no problem playing back 1080p video on 915GM and 945GM chipsets.

Performance on 1080i non-film content is one of the most noticeable downsides of my G35. Luckily, most of the 1080i programs I watch are 24fps.
post #99 of 2575 Old 07-23-2008, 02:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

But I have now ordered from another supplier who has it cheaper, and is a bigger company so hopefully will have more pull.

I don't know anything about Sparco. They were the first I saw with an ETA. BTW, they e-mailed me that the 7/22 shipping date isn't happining. Now its 8/11 or 12.

Is there another vendor who will have this board sooner? If so, who?
I normally buy everything through Newegg since their return policy is so good - and their prices are also very good. But in this case, I just want to get the board as quickly as possible. The other parts I bought already passed Neweggs 30 day return policy (and I haven't even tested them yet). It would be nice if Newegg listed parts they are expecting to recieve (with ETAs).
post #100 of 2575 Old 07-23-2008, 04:46 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by litwick87 View Post

on board RAID controller? Is the P45 the same board as this except it being full size ATX?

Raid: yes. P45 is not the same as G45, the P45 does not have the integrated graphics, video deocding and HDMI.
post #101 of 2575 Old 07-23-2008, 04:47 PM

Seems like the only G45 available from NewEgg right now is the SUPERMICRO MBD-C2SEA-O. However, this is only a full ATX, and retails for more than the Intel board. I know there are ASUS & MSI models coming out as well.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813182161
post #102 of 2575 Old 07-23-2008, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKaustin View Post

I ordered this mb from Sparco last week so I've been preparing for my new htpc. I bought an HDMI 1.3 switch from Monoprice and hooked it up over the weekend to my current PC (via HDMI out through a Zotac 9600GT). After troubleshooting why I couldn't see a picture from PC, although everything else worked great through the switch, I discovered that my TV, a Samsung DLP (HLS6187), will not accept a PC connection any way except through the dedicated VGA port. I did a bit of googling and found where someone says it is an HDCP related problem. Argh... don't know how to get around this.

So my question here is, how am I going to hook the DG45ID up to get the best results from it's capabilities, without replacing my TV? I really want the best audio, so I can connect the HDMI into my Denon 3808*. But how do I get VGA to the TV, is there a separate DVI port on the back of the mb? Am I losing much by using VGA for the video vs HDMI (not that I have a choice)?

* I don't actually have the Denon 3808 yet, I am getting it specifically to go with this htpc for the TrueHD audio.

EDIT: OK, I see that there is indeed a separate DVI out on this board so I can convert DVI to VGA. Still, my questions stands, do ya'll think this is a big deal?

Couple notes:

1) you can use AnyDVD HD to remove the HDCP, so you can still use your HDMI out

2) as has been discussed here, you won't get TrueHD output in bitstream form to your Denon until the Protected Audio Path is supported, you will however be able to decode TrueHD in the HTPC and output it as 8 channel LPCM
post #103 of 2575 Old 07-23-2008, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bondisdead View Post

Seems like the only G45 available from NewEgg right now is the SUPERMICRO MBD-C2SEA-O. However, this is only a full ATX, and retails for more than the Intel board. I know there are ASUS & MSI models coming out as well.

However, it's also a DDR3 memory board, and I don't want to pay the premium for DDR3 at this time.

Ben
post #104 of 2575 Old 07-23-2008, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrsage View Post

Just finished reading this thread. From what I gather, people want this board over the 8200 because Intel's processors are more powerful for the same price and because they assume there will not be any driver or compatibility issues with a new technology Intel board?

Did I understand that right? If so, that seems silly.

For me, those are not the reasons. There will undoubtedly be driver issues as with any new release. But I still prefer the G45 over the 8200/8300 solutions because:

1) the test results i've read show the G45 passes HQV tests, whereas the 8200/8300 had several issues

2) i want to use an Intel 45nm low power CPU with speed step, these are much better bang for the buck and appropriate for HTPCs, in my opinion, at the moment

3) i already have several Intel socket 775 based motherboards and CPUs laying around that moving to AMD is not an option... when something goes wrong, i want to be able drop in a different CPU or switch motherboards, to diagnose the problem

4) personally, i feel that the PAVP has a better chance of success on an Intel platform as the hardware/software partners and media players (TMT / PowerDVD) are more likely to make it happen.
post #105 of 2575 Old 07-23-2008, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bondisdead View Post

And the Supermicro uses the ICH10, so it does not support RAID. The Intel board uses ICH10R which does support RAID.
post #106 of 2575 Old 07-23-2008, 05:40 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrsage View Post

Just finished reading this thread. From what I gather, people want this board over the 8200 because Intel's processors are more powerful for the same price and because they assume there will not be any driver or compatibility issues with a new technology Intel board?

Did I understand that right? If so, that seems silly.

Not sure where you're coming from - if you're an 8200 owner then you already know there are issues with 8 channel LPCM on some of the partner boards (read the 8200 thread). You should also know that the 8200 can't keep up with smooth 1080p playback of high bitrate material (8300 is passable though). If you're not an 8200 owner I'm not sure why it matters to you.

Being a fan of Nvidia chipsets (purevideo for mpeg2 has treated me great for years, and I own three SLI ATX boards 680/690i/790i) I actually wanted my next HTPC board to be an Nvidia chipset/IGP, but after months of research I found too many showstoppers in Nvidia 8200/8300 for it to be my "next" HTPC board.

Likewise, I've used many systems (corporate) over many years built on Intel branded boards. They've always been solid so actually I dont' expect driver issues right out of the gate as one can expect with typical foreign made boards and chipsets rushed to market. Even if the G45 just performs as well as what Intel's already demo'd (smooth Bluray + 8 channel LPCM), I'm happy.

Lastly, G45 uses Intel's own audio chip, not a 3rd party chip (i.e. Realtek) so Intel doesn't have to suffer delays or a bad reputation in waiting for partners to fix drivers - a typical scenario a board maker runs into when sourcing chips from multiple parties. The vertical integration with Intel having designed and written drivers for the critical components gives me confidence.
post #107 of 2575 Old 07-23-2008, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixion View Post

And the Supermicro uses the ICH10, so it does not support RAID. The Intel board uses ICH10R which does support RAID.

And it uses more expensive DDR3 RAM, as another posted pointed out. I was just providing the link for someone who might be interested. I'm still holding out for the Intel MB...patiently, as my estimated ship date of 7/22/08 has obviously not been met...

On an unrelated note, could someone define what "PAVP" means? I am taking a guess at Protected Audio Video Path. Is there not currently support for protected audio on any HTPC setups? Perhaps it's not a big deal as you need to perform audio mixing at the Blu-Ray source in order to get advanced audio features like PIP commentary. However, it does make buying an AVR with bitstream decoding kind of a waste!
post #108 of 2575 Old 07-23-2008, 06:44 PM

Quote:

Couple notes:

1) you can use AnyDVD HD to remove the HDCP, so you can still use your HDMI out

2) as has been discussed here, you won't get TrueHD output in bitstream form to your Denon until the Protected Audio Path is supported, you will however be able to decode TrueHD in the HTPC and output it as 8 channel LPCM

I tried AnyDVD, it doesn't do anything on a whole-system level. It only works with disks. BUT, I had a breakthrough - after reading around a bit more, I tried a few tricks that have allowed me to see HDMI video on my Samsung. Yay! Except, I have a horrible humming sound coming through the TV, still have to figure that out. I must say, there is a definite improvement in the HDMI picture over the VGA pq.

I hear you on the probable lack of bitstreaming from the DG45ID. However, I am going to cross my fingers and hope that something gets worked out on that in the future. I'm still going to get a TrueHD-capable AVR in hopes that I can use it some day. I need a new AVR anyway, my 3yr old AVR doesn't have HDMI inputs. I've changed my mind, I'm getting the new Denon 1909 - check it out. This whole home theater passion is such a money pit...
post #109 of 2575 Old 07-23-2008, 07:08 PM

Quote:

I tried AnyDVD, it doesn't do anything on a whole-system level. It only works with disks. BUT, I had a breakthrough - after reading around a bit more, I tried a few tricks that have allowed me to see HDMI video on my Samsung. Yay! Except, I have a horrible humming sound coming through the TV, still have to figure that out. I must say, there is a definite improvement in the HDMI picture over the VGA pq.

I had the same issue when I used to plug in my Microsoft Bluetooth USB. dongle. Something in my mind keep saying its a grounding issue plus my computer was always shocking me and so was my car door and so was door knobs and so was everything really. Believe me I was trying everything to see if I could get to stop. At the time I was using a Silverstone LC17 case and included with the case is a round metal hoop kinda like an overgrown washer. All of the front panel wires were supposed to be inserted through this loop. For me this is what fixed my hum issue and static problem. With all the cases I've owned, several of them came with the hoop and I never knew what it was for. Now I know. Idiot me.
post #110 of 2575 Old 07-24-2008, 12:07 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

I hear you on the probable lack of bitstreaming from the DG45ID. However, I am going to cross my fingers and hope that something gets worked out on that in the future. I'm still going to get a TrueHD-capable AVR in hopes that I can use it some day. I need a new AVR anyway, my 3yr old AVR doesn't have HDMI inputs. I've changed my mind, I'm getting the new Denon 1909 -check it out. This whole home theater passion is such a money pit...

Bitstreaming WILL come for the G45. Also you can't go wrong with that new Denon AVR-1909 - best receiver at that pricepoint period. I'm familiar with just about every AVR and Pre-Pro on the market from $300 to $7000, and the new 2009 Denon AVR's (esp 1909 and 2309) shatter all previous cost/performance ratios. Audyssey Dynamic Volume, Dynamic EQ & MultEQ are reason alone to own this AVR - even their $7500 flagship receiver doesn't have dynamic volume (yet - coming in a few months), not to mention Denon has the nicest GUI in the biz, firmware is internet-updatable straight from GUI via the ethernet jack, etc. Plus, "its a Denon!" The 1909 and 2309 have more new audio processing abilities than anything else in the market at that pricepoint - all three of the "killer" Audyssey processing features.

The new low-to-midrange Denon AVR's ending in "9" are Denon's massive attack on Onkyo's domination of that sector of the market.

Supposedly BestBuy is already receiving stock of these but won't be allowed to sell until July 27th.

Check out the 1909 owner's thread: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1050097
post #111 of 2575 Old 07-24-2008, 12:33 AM
tsb
AVS Special Member

anything from Denon like the 1909 with a Realta SOC instead?
post #112 of 2575 Old 07-24-2008, 12:44 AM

the distributor's web site (UK) I've been watching has officially put back delivery another month to 21 Aug
http://www.morecomputers.com/extra.asp?pn=BOXDG45ID

let's hope that doesn't change the week before, like it did for the past month on Fridays.
post #113 of 2575 Old 07-24-2008, 12:50 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsb View Post

anything from Denon like the 1909 with a Realta SOC instead?

No unfortunately - that's a chip you wouldn't see until higher end models. Right now Denon is between product refresh cycles where their lower end AVR's are getting the refresh to the latest/greatest audio and processing features; their higher end models to be refreshed in 2009 likely. Keep your eyes on Cedia in September for announcements.

That said, I don't get hung up on upscaler chips anymore - I want the AVR to just pass my 1080p signal through to the TV since I'll be delivering all my signals to it at 1080p anyway. My whole desire in building "the ultimate HTPC" is to do away with physical optical media, DVD and Bluray players, etc. - all my media is "soft stored" (ripped) and so the HTPC is doing the upscaling of anything less than 1080p anyway. The HDMI output on the HTPC is always talking 1080p to the AVR. My DTV DVR (Sat TV) outputs at 1080i but I could care less about processing 30fps up to 60fps - still the same crappy TV programs.

For grandpas that like to go to their DVD shelf, pick out a disc, put the disc in the player, press play, and they have a nice HT setup with a good investment in A/V equipment, then yeah a high-end upscaler in their AVR benefits them. For the rest of us (HTPC enthusiasts) as time goes on the HTPC will be taking over all video processing exclusively and will continue to get better at it as the GPU-based UVD/ClearVideo/Purevideo engines continue to mature.

Hell, when Asus releases the analog daughtercard for the Asus XONAR HDAV card with its Burr-Brown DACs, you technically won't even need an AVR anymore - just an HDMI switchbox and a fat 5 or 7 channel external amp! I understand the romance in having a big AVR with that big volume knob on the shelf though and that will be tough to give up for many, especially with other video sources that need audio routing like XBOX360/PS3/stand alone optical players/Tivo/etc.
post #114 of 2575 Old 07-24-2008, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odditory View Post

Hell, when Asus releases the analog daughtercard for the Asus XONAR HDAV card with its Burr-Brown DACs, you technically won't even need an AVR anymore - just an HDMI switchbox and a fat 5 or 7 channel external amp!

I've been suspecting this is possible!

Thanks for your presence odditory.
post #115 of 2575 Old 07-25-2008, 10:27 AM
Advanced Member

In a couple of weeks (or less) the G45 is going to be in everyone's hands - at least those who want it. Then I expect there will be a lot of postings (testing, reports, reviews, and questions).

Can we make this Thread a sticky, so we don't have to search for it?
I believe the amount of interest in this chip (motherboard) warrants it.
Thanks.
post #116 of 2575 Old 07-25-2008, 10:39 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

In a couple of weeks (or less) the G45 is going to be in everyone's hands - at least those who want it. Then I expect there will be a lot of postings (testing, reports, reviews, and questions).

Thanks.

Meantime you can just go to Thread Tools -> Subscribe To This Thread to make it easier to get to.
post #117 of 2575 Old 07-25-2008, 11:11 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

I have an URC brand RF remote and this basestation:
http://www.universalremote.com/produ...l.php?model=42

What is the best way to get this to control an HTPC?

The basestation has outputs for emitters. Is there any way to connect the output to an HTPC without converting back to IR? Is there something out there that would allow the RF basestation output to be connected to a USB port or to the motherboard IR header?

I have the URC MRF-350. A while back I asked about the same thing and never found a good solution like you are looking for. I thought about breaking open an old MS IR receiver I had laying around and figuring out how to wire it up directly, but I'm too lazy. I stuck one of the IR emitters to the front of my USB-UIRT and wrapped a bunch of black electrical tap around it, shielding the IR receiver from any other stray inputs. I hate having the IR link in there, but this setup does work very well. Part of me still wants to figure this out so that I can have a simple 3.5mm IR jack, on the back of my HTPC case, like Denon receivers have (fyi, those do work directly with my MRF-350), and thus totally eliminate IR altogether from my setup.
post #118 of 2575 Old 07-25-2008, 11:31 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 358
Quote:

Thanks.

Why should a thread of this mediocre motherboard be a sticky? I bet lots of better G45 motherboards will be released once the chipset is available in large quantities.

The average number of views per day:

- This thread: 7768/7 = 1110.
- The Official Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H RS780 mATX Thread: 392516/165 = 2379. (Even this amazing thread is not stickied.)

There is not enough attention of this community to DG45ID yet (maybe never).
post #119 of 2575 Old 07-25-2008, 12:39 PM

Hm, I'm not very impressed with the GA-MA78GM-S2H. Two PCI instead of 1 PCI + 2 PCIex1. Only thing I see better is DDR2-1066, which is little better.
post #120 of 2575 Old 07-25-2008, 01:12 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 358
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page