*Official* Intel G45 DG45ID microATX HTPC Motherboard Thread - Page 49 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

Old 12-12-2008, 08:43 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPJason View Post

I noticed my WEI went down to 4.0 from 4.1 after going from 0085 to 0087... Other than that nothing noticeable.

Same thing here - I've had consistent WEI scores of 4.1 with all BIOS versions through 85. Now it's 4.0 with 87. There's nothing in the release notes that would explain a change in 3D graphics performance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2008, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjur View Post

A couple of questions:

1. Will there ever be a Blu-Ray/HD DVD support on this mobo in XP or will it never happen? I'm using Vista, but REALLY hates all the restrictions.

I've seen no indication anywhere that it will happen. What has been written is that Intel's decision to not allocate resources to XP driver development is "understandable".

My solution was to buy a cheap, passively cooled Radeon and now I'm relatively happy.
Old 12-13-2008, 08:21 AM

Does the Intel G45 video chipset driver support video and PC level outputs? If so, what do the menu items look like? Or does it just assume that if you use the HDMI output to use video levles and DVI to use PC levles, with no user choices?
Old 12-14-2008, 05:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwdaigle View Post

Anyone else run across this? There seems to be 2 variants of the Kingston memory. We had been using the N5, which has worked really well on our DG45IDs (both single and dual channel)

When we ordered more memory for them, we ordered the N6 variant. The N6 works very well if used in single channel mode (ie, we only install 1 stick), but if installed for dual channel (2 sticks in the proper slots), we get loads of memory errors.

Since we have multiple 45s, we also found out that this is only on the 307 version of the board. The 306 version of the board works well in both modes. We tried it on 2 306s and 2 307s for consistency.

All boards running Bios 85.

Its getting harder to get the N5, so we are stuck with ordering N6 in the future.

I ran both types since Intel insisted that N5 was not compatible.
You can always set the timings to 6-6-6-18 to exactly match the N6 but they both run the same on the boards I have tried.
No problem running dual channel here with either.
I just Express flashed to 87 and it worked just fine.
They seem to be getting better now with the bios...it also seems more responsive this time around when hitting F2.
No more French and RAID issues it seems which were my main complaints (French..now that's just plain wrong ).
The only issue still unresolved is with Intel ME. I still get the unconfiguration prompt but interestingly enough, there is a new bios option to enable/disable the ME prompts. It does nothing for my issue.

My HT

In the words of English philosopher Edmund Burke, ÂAll that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.Â
Old 12-15-2008, 05:49 AM

Hmmm... Thats ironic. When I contacted Intel, they told me that the reason it didnt work was that only the N5 was compatible.

They told me to "only run with tested memory configurations such as the ...N5 Kingston memory".

Go figure :-)

Im curious - have you tried it on a -307 rev of the board? We have quite a few 45s here, so I can try it on a few boards. I tried it on two 306s - works like a champ in both single and dual channel mode.

On the 307, tried it on three different boards. Works well in single channel mode, but down in virtual flames in dual channel.

All boards already running Bios 87.

I think I am one of the lucky few - I have never had a problem with flashing - although I didnt come onto the scene until 81. All my boards (20+) have seem to come with 77. Maybe because I never went through 79? Dunno.

Joe
Old 12-15-2008, 05:51 AM

Forgot to mention - I didnt try to manually set any timings. But I seem to recall it being set to 6-6-6-18 automagically.

I will try to manually set it tomorrow to see if that helps.

Thanks for the info -
Old 12-16-2008, 08:43 AM

[hi all,
i have restart problem with GD45ID.It always show E8 error at the time of booting.
Old 12-16-2008, 08:48 AM

hi all,
i have restart problem with GD45ID.It always show E8 error at the time of booting.
Old 12-16-2008, 06:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwdaigle View Post

Hmmm... Thats ironic. When I contacted Intel, they told me that the reason it didnt work was that only the N5 was compatible.

They told me to "only run with tested memory configurations such as the ...N5 Kingston memory".

Go figure :-)

LOL...if you check Kingstons site, it actually says N6 as the proper type but in the details it says N5 will also work.
N5 SPD = 5-5-5-18 while N6 = 6-6-6-18.

Quote:

Im curious - have you tried it on a -307 rev of the board? We have quite a few 45s here, so I can try it on a few boards. I tried it on two 306s - works like a champ in both single and dual channel mode.

On the 307, tried it on three different boards. Works well in single channel mode, but down in virtual flames in dual channel.

All boards already running Bios 87.

I think I am one of the lucky few - I have never had a problem with flashing - although I didnt come onto the scene until 81. All my boards (20+) have seem to come with 77. Maybe because I never went through 79? Dunno.

Joe

Yes, I have tested both 306 and 307 revisions, no issues. The system I am on now is a 307...and I have 8GB of N5.
Yeah...this board is the first Intel board with flashing problems I have dealt with.
When I flashed 83 from 79, i believe, I hosed the Intel ME somehow during that failed Express flash. I had to use recover to get it back but ever since, I have a prompt for Intel ME unconfiguration which never clears.

My HT

In the words of English philosopher Edmund Burke, ÂAll that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.Â
Old 12-17-2008, 08:01 AM

New drivers are out from 1599 to 1608. Video is still broken.

Video: Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator Driver for Windows Vista*
December-16-08, 15:09:03
Installs the video graphics driver version 15.12.1.64.1608 for Intel® Desktop Boards with the Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator.
Version: 15.12.1.64.1608 | Date: 12/16/2008 | Type: Drivers
Old 12-17-2008, 08:06 AM

Any notes on fixes/updates?
Old 12-17-2008, 02:33 PM

I got this board a few days ago and loaded Vista32 Ultimate. I have all the latest drivers from Intels support site loaded. Using a Celeron 420 with 4GB of gskill RAM on BIOS version 87.

With CPUz loaded I never see the system throttle down from the 8x multiplier to the 6x multiplier. Is there something in the BIOs that needs to changed? I've seen it go down to 6x for a split second, but during idle it never stays @ 6x. On my other machines during idle they all go down to the 6x multiplier.

Please Help! Does anyone have a working system that throttles down the multiplier?
Old 12-17-2008, 10:15 PM

I still have a major PowerDVD8 'green screen' Blu-ray problem if I flash my DG45ID BIOS to any version above 0081.

I flashed to BIOS 0087 and installed the latest video drivers today.

I got Cyberlink to give me a nice fresh PDVD8 install file and did a complete uninstall, registry clean out and reinstall.

Result - All MPEG4 AVC or VC1 playback from PDVD is still a green video screen only with full sound. However, the CPU use drops from 30% to 2% but this great HA is useless without a picture :-)

Can anyone else running PowerDVD8 Ultra on this board, with Bios 0085 or 0087 let me know if your Blu-ray playback is good and what average CPU % you are getting (from Windows Perfmon.exe) when watching on a 1080p setup.

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-18-2008, 08:22 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepinrazor View Post

I got this board a few days ago and loaded Vista32 Ultimate. I have all the latest drivers from Intels support site loaded. Using a Celeron 420 with 4GB of gskill RAM on BIOS version 87.

With CPUz loaded I never see the system throttle down from the 8x multiplier to the 6x multiplier. Is there something in the BIOs that needs to changed? I've seen it go down to 6x for a split second, but during idle it never stays @ 6x. On my other machines during idle they all go down to the 6x multiplier.

Please Help! Does anyone have a working system that throttles down the multiplier?

I'm curious to hear how your other Celeron systems manage to step down to 6x when idle since Celerons don't support speedstep.
Old 12-18-2008, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazebo View Post

I'm curious to hear how your other Celeron systems manage to step down to 6x when idle since Celerons don't support speedstep.

hmmm, ok maybe it's not speedstep. Whatever it is that makes the multi drop from X to 6x. When i had the same chip loaded on my ECS G31T-M it would drop.
Old 12-18-2008, 04:07 PM

has anyone tested Dark Knight blu-ray with this board? Any issues?

Old 12-18-2008, 04:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
works with pvdvd 7.
Old 12-18-2008, 04:39 PM

anyone try with Arcsoft? i think i'm seeing jittering, but not sure if that's just because the aspect ratio keeps jumping around.

babg, you not seeing any jittering? For example, on Chapter 16, at the beginning of the city view....

Old 12-18-2008, 05:15 PM
AVS Special Member

there is a little "handycam shake" in that scene (although I didn't notice until I went looking). The shake is present in a mkv (which uses the WMV Decoder DMO instead of the cyberlink vc1 filter) so it might just be the way they did the transfer; I will check on another system though to make sure.
Old 12-18-2008, 05:26 PM
AVS Special Member

I see the same thing on my 8600gt system.
Old 12-18-2008, 05:31 PM

thanks andy. had you noticed if you see that jittery anywhere else?

for me, i'm seeing it on the opening scene chapter 1 (zooming into the building & then the shattering glass...and then also on the first scene zooming into the joker), and then also in the court room (chapter 4) when Sal is rocking back & forth & sometimes when harvey is talking to the girl

lmk, thanks!

Old 12-18-2008, 05:46 PM
AVS Special Member

do you have the latest bios and vc drivers? cpu usage went down a lot w/ the latest set for me.

i didn't see anything weird in the first scene (8600 or g45).
Old 12-18-2008, 05:48 PM

latest bios, absolutely.

latest drivers...do you mean the 1608 that were recently posted the other day? I thought i tested those the other day & it was bad.....

Old 12-18-2008, 05:56 PM
AVS Special Member

yeah 1608, I got a 20-25% drop in CPU for h.264 with PDVD w/ them. vc1 is about the same.
Old 12-18-2008, 05:59 PM

hrmm...good to know. i'm going to check CPU usage with 1591 right now, and then i'll try 1608.

Thanks andy :-)

Old 12-19-2008, 11:20 AM

restart problem with GD45ID

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[hi all,
Old 12-20-2008, 07:32 AM

I'm considering building my first HTPC based on this board and have some questions.

I spent the last few days reading through this thread but I'm not sure I absorbed all of it. In summary of the problems I've read about this board:

1) Passthrough problem - Intel will hold fast with no changes and player software (at least some) have been revised to work with this board - no show stopper.

2) Film mode - recent bios updates claim to have fixed this and there seems to be some posts indicating it has been fixed although...

3) bios updates have been troublesome since 79 - not sure the status on this but it appears things might be getting better. No indication that Intel acknowledges this problem.

These are the technical issues with the board itself as I see them and it would appear to me that they are fixed or on their way to being fixed.

I think the final issue for me is if I can use HDMI for video out and parrallel that with the toslink/7.1 for audio output? If not, is this a HDCP limitation? I have lmitations with my system that might require splitting the audio from HDMI.

Finally, where can I find the specs for what I can and can't use with this board. I'm mostly intersested in what is NOT compatible with this board (2.0v memory, some CPU's, some optical drives etc.)? I'm not up on all the standards (N5 vs. N6? never heard of those) and don't necessarily want to be, I just don't want to add components that may cause "flakey" behavior (I think some problems posted in this thread may be related to such incompatibilities but can't be certain).

This has been an informative thread and reads like a soap opera at times!

Thanks,
- Ray
Old 12-20-2008, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarsAndEyes View Post

I'm considering building my first HTPC based on this board and have some questions.

If you haven't purchased hardware yet, I'd definately recommend going with the Gigabyte 9400 mobo over the G45... I had this Intel G45 board and was very frustrated with all the issues you've read about on this thread. Since I've swapped the G45 out for the 9400 I've been so much happier... everything just works! They haven't even had to rev the BIOS since release, it's that stable!
Old 12-20-2008, 09:10 AM

Thanks EskimoPie, I'm just starting my homework on the 9300/9400 solutions. Anyone second EskimoPie's vote?

- Ray

Edit:
BTW: I don't want to start a war in this thread, perhaps there's another thread dedicated to comparisons of these boards? I'm not finding one. Pointers?
Old 12-20-2008, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarsAndEyes View Post

Thanks EskimoPie, I'm just starting my homework on the 9300/9400 solutions. Anyone second EskimoPie's vote?

- Ray

Edit:
BTW: I don't want to start a war in this thread, perhaps there's another thread dedicated to comparisons of these boards? I'm not finding one. Pointers?

Not me. I run the DG45ID on Vista x64 w/ 4GB and e8400 and have no problems. All video is accerlated with 20-35% cpu load. have it as my media hub connected to a dlink dsm-750.

i'm willing to bet eskimo doesn't have drivers and software configured properly.