*Official* Intel G45 DG45ID microATX HTPC Motherboard Thread - Page 86 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #2551 of 2575 Old 03-25-2012, 03:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi AVS ,

Not knowing that this mobo has so many problems assosciated with it as discussed in this thread , i bought this new dg45id 5 days back , so as to support my old processor , core2duo e7400 ..... dg45id seemed to be the best media series board available for my processor

So , problem is , both my motherboard and processor temperatures are at around 55 deg C consistently ( right from starting the PC ) for basic usage like browsing ( as shown by speccy and real temp ) --- which in itself i presume is not safe , is it ?

And when i play 1080p wmv/mkv files @ ~12 mbps ... both the temperatures going to 85-90 deg C

What might be the problem , can u guys pls help ... any prob with board or something related to CPU cooler fan or depleted thermal paste or something else

if i buy a new cpu cooler fan ( Cooler Master Cpu Cooler Fan Computer Pc For Core 2 duo,celeron,C2D DC -- DI5-9HDSL-0L-GP ), does it have thermal paste pre-applied or shud we apply it separately ... in such case , pls give me a link on how to apply it in a correct way .

I found a different cpu cooler for lga 775 ( SilverStone Nitrogon CPU Cooler NT07-775-EZD ) , which is costing 5x than regular cpu cooler , what advantage does it offer over normal one

[ I live in india ... the current temperature is around 27 (nights ) to 37 (day ) deg C ]

Pls help .. Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2552 of 2575 Old 03-25-2012, 04:22 PM
AVS Special Member

It sounds like your CPU cooler isn't completely locked down. Your temps should be in the 30s at idle and get to around 55-60 under a heavy load.

After market CPU coolers typically don't come with anything, so you'd need to apply some thermal grease first. What I do is put a drop in the center, spread it around with my finger, and then use the edge of a credit card to scrape off the excess. Remember that you're only trying to fill in the imperfections in the metal, not create a full layer between the heatsink and CPU.

Typically, the more you pay for the cooler, the better it cools or the quieter the fan is. Unless you're overclocking, I wouldn't waste money on a higher-end cooler.
post #2553 of 2575 Old 03-25-2012, 04:31 PM

Liked: 15
that temp is way high, check for a bios update may be needed to report the correct temp, are the retainer clips in place and in good shape and not broken or dislogded.

clean the proc area carefully not spread the old paste, i use nail polish remover, apply a thermal compound like artic silver in the center about the size of a half a grain of rice [not long rice], donot spread it out just mount the cpu cooler and it will spread as needed, again very little is needed.

the heatsink and fan should be good enough to keep that cpu cool if no overclocking.
post #2554 of 2575 Old 03-26-2012, 01:12 PM

uh oh ! Thanks a ton spivonious and Mac25 ... now that u guys have mentioned it , i realized that most probably cpu cooler wasnt placed correctly ... After all this is the first time i assembled a pc , damn what am i thinking !

so i will try to lodge it correctly once again , but does these past 1 week with a consistent temp of 55 deg C wud damage the processor and cpu .. or is it ok .... i didnt play 1080p mkv @ high bitrates yet ( except for 1 or 2 min to test the temperature ) , and no i didnt and wont overclock .

Also , can u pls provide a video tutorial link or so , which depicts clearly cpu fan installation .... initially i followed the steps of youtube , " Build Your Own PC Tutorial + Bonus Review of Cooler Master HAF 922 Case_PART I " ....

But before i try once more to properly place the fan ,,, back in the week , when i was installing cpu fan while building pc , only top two retainer clips have fitted in completely , the bottom two clips were partially fit , and i couldnt lodge it completely , despite tremendous pressure ( to the extent that at one moment i thought i cracked the board ) ... so i thought may be its normal for one side clips to not completely get lodged and forgot abt that .......... where was i doing wrong , how to place the cpu cooler fan properly

Thanks for giving tips on how to apply thermal paste
post #2555 of 2575 Old 03-26-2012, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes, you definitely need all four clips to be fully locked in. I find that it's easier if you take the motherboard out of the case and put it on a table. It's much easier to apply pressure to the heatsink clips and you can look at the bottom of the board to make sure they're in the whole way.

After it's on, then you can install the board into the case and hook everything else up.
post #2556 of 2575 Old 03-26-2012, 02:58 PM

as seen here, but clean and re-apply compound,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8n8gTb_iSE
post #2557 of 2575 Old 03-26-2012, 03:16 PM

if you pull the board lay it on non conductive surface, such as cardboard, inspect the retainer clips carefully.
post #2558 of 2575 Old 03-27-2012, 01:07 AM

Just reset the cpu fan , this time I am 90 % sure that the pi
post #2559 of 2575 Old 03-27-2012, 01:11 AM

Just reset the cpu fan , this time I am 90 % sure that the pins are lodged correctly

( Note : Not sure if its accurate or not , but the software piriform speccy is showing both the temperatures of cpu and motherboard equally , +/- 2 deg )
Started the pc , this time the temp is @ 40 deg C .. at playing xmen 3 1080p mkv 12Mbps , the temp suddenly raised to 60 deg c and gradually reaching upto 67 deg C over 10 min and stabilizing at that temp even after 30 min of movie play . ( unlike before , where temp raised , immediately to 85-90 deg C )
After stopping the movie , the temp is getting back to 46 deg C with in 3 min or so and sustaining there .

Overall , the temp has decreased from 55 --> 45 at browsing and playing 128kbps mp3 songs and from 90 --> 67 at playing 1080p 12mbps videos But still it didn't reach the normal standards of 30 deg at idle as u guys were saying .

Now here is what I observed , which seemed worrisome to me the cpu fan seemed to me to rotate at a below average speed , I have a extra fan fitted to my case/cabinet , which is rotating at seemingly twice or thrice the speed of what my cpu fan sped is .

So I downloaded speedfan 4.45
Sped fan 4.45 is showing cpu fan as 924 to 926 rpm and its not detecting my other fan attached to the case/cabinet , to compare their speeds .There is no increase in fan speed ( 940 rpm max ), even when the temp reached 67 deg C .. is this normal ?

This is the screenshot of speed fan which is showing MB temp at 42 deg C , while piriform speccy is showing 65 deg at the same exact time as screenshot of speedfan ..

My innate board bios 0127 .. ( I haven't updated the bios , as I gone through some of the posts in this thread that updating to some bios versions have made the problems further increase . So , afraid of it , didnt update the bios can I update this to latest 0135 ? or 0127 is better ?
BIOS
Brand Intel Corp.
Version IDG4510H.86A.0127.2010.0209.1609
Date 02/09/2010

======================================

Cpu usage ( @ windows task manager ) showing 35-40% for that 12mbps file but I heard that , owing to G45 , cpu load will be very much decreased . But my cpu is still having ~ 35% usage on both cores .. what does it mean pls ?

I am using
win xp sp3 32 bit
1 gb ddr2 ram ( speccy is showing 333 MHz , 5-5-5-15 )
No overclocking
No external graphics card

** i am attaching Mother board , cpu and ram specs
LL
LL
LL
LL
post #2560 of 2575 Old 03-27-2012, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac25 View Post

as seen here, but clean and re-apply compound,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8n8gTb_iSE

Woah !

what i did is ... rotated the pins counter-clockwise --> pulled up the white plastic plug-like things --> removed the cpu heatsink fan ..... and now again placed the fan on the processor ( with pins as they are while removing ) --> applied some pressure to make plastic things go into the corresponding holes of mb --> put pressure on the pins , and then rotated clockwise to lock the pins

But this video is saying , to re-rotate the pins clockwise , after removing the fan , and then install the fan with pressure

shud i re-install , with this video method ??
post #2561 of 2575 Old 03-27-2012, 06:13 AM

the video is the correct method, NEVER remove heatsink without cleaning and reapply compound.

bios may be reporting incorrect temps as fan speed is below max speed but according to this chart there is no bios version .0127 which your pics seem to indicate, http://processormatch.intel.com/Comp...ardName=DG45ID

the above chart states the proc and board supports e7400 @1066 mhz fsb but memory speed shows pc2-5300 mhz [333], you should be using pc2-1066 rated memory.

i would flash bios and install correct ram @ 1066.

if all 4 white lock pins are flush to the board and not broken and cpu heatsink is firmly in place then its bios reporting incorrectly or bad fan, but most likely incorrect report.
post #2562 of 2575 Old 03-27-2012, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac25 View Post

the video is the correct method, NEVER remove heatsink without cleaning and reapply compound.

bios may be reporting incorrect temps as fan speed is below max speed but according to this chart there is no bios version .0127 which your pics seem to indicate, http://processormatch.intel.com/Comp...ardName=DG45ID

the above chart states the proc and board supports e7400 @1066 mhz fsb but memory speed shows pc2-5300 mhz [333], you should be using pc2-1066 rated memory.

i would flash bios and install correct ram @ 1066.

if all 4 white lock pins are flush to the board and not broken and cpu heatsink is firmly in place then its bios reporting incorrectly or bad fan, but most likely incorrect report.

Thanks again for the time and help

ok , since i didnt apply thermal paste today while installing the fan , with in 2 days i will buy that paste and apply it and then place the cpu fan

pls bear my novice ... does it mean that , my present RAM is not suitable for this board and processor .. the following details are there on my RAM stick -- 1GB PC 667MHz , 05 0309 , DG 0914495 .. So , bcos of this slow ram , is my cpu getting loaded heavily , and thus the high temperatures ? Does replacing the ram with 1066 , bring back the temperatures to normal ?

So what i am planning to do is ..,

if i can borrow 1066 MHz ram , i ll see if it brings back temp to normal ..

if not , i will try to flash bios ( my first time :scared: ) .... shud i flash with latest available 0135 bios ?

Then i will apply thermal paste and reinstall the cpu fan anyway

or , should i do like this ??

even to the naked eye , the cpu fan is rotating at slow- belowaverage speed , and its not even increasing , even when the cpu temp is increasing to ~70 deg ... so is it worth , to buy a new cpu heatsink cooler fan , assuming that the current fan is not functioning properly
post #2563 of 2575 Old 03-27-2012, 07:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Don't worry about the memory. It is slow, but it won't cause any temperature issues, just slower performance.

It's odd that the fan isn't spinning up more when the CPU hits 70, but wait to investigate more until you can get everything installed properly.

Remember to scrape off the thermal pad that Intel puts on their heatsinks before applying paste.
post #2564 of 2575 Old 03-27-2012, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spivonious View Post

Don't worry about the memory. It is slow, but it won't cause any temperature issues, just slower performance.

It's odd that the fan isn't spinning up more when the CPU hits 70, but wait to investigate more until you can get everything installed properly.

ok , so RAM trial is opted out for now . from the three to-do s

if i can borrow 1066 MHz ram , i ll see if it brings back temp to normal ..

if not , i will try to flash bios ( my first time :scared: ) .... shud i flash with latest available 0135 bios ?

Then i will apply thermal paste and reinstall the cpu fan anyway

Quote:
Originally Posted by spivonious View Post

Remember to scrape off the thermal pad that Intel puts on their heatsinks before applying paste.

Thanks for the tip , but u r talking for the new fan right ?
post #2565 of 2575 Old 03-27-2012, 07:48 AM

the ram running at 333 mhz is bottle necking your cpu [holding it back from running at its rated speed]

update the bios is what i would do, BE AWARE bios update failure could leave the board in an unuseable condition, its risky, follow the guide from intel and take your time.

if it was mine i would fix it or trash it and get another board, i see no reason to purchase another heatsink and fan as i dont believe it will correct the heat issues.
post #2566 of 2575 Old 03-27-2012, 07:50 AM
AVS Special Member

I would not buy a new fan. I doubt it is the issue.
post #2567 of 2575 Old 08-06-2012, 01:41 AM

I too have been getting BSODs since upgrading to BIOS 0135 when resuming from S3 sleep. I've always had the odd random BSOD or lockup going into or coming out of S3, but been rare enough to ignore, although it was usually easy enough to provoke by constantly putting it to sleep and waking back up.

However, since the BIOS upgrade, its been daily, sometimes several times a day. I've run the BSODs through the debugger, and no obvious cause, looks like memory corruption. Memtest86+ shows the memory is OK.

Reverting back to 0127 didn't resolve the issue, but did reintroduce the original problem that made me upgrade the BIOS - Blackgold BGT 6320 picture corruption/breakup, which needs C states disabled in BIOS to cure.

However, I'm now back on 0135, but have disabled the ME, and its been 24hrs with no BSOD or lockup. For the first time in ages, it actually feels robust.

I know disabling the ME isn't going to be for everyone - although there isn't really any management capability in the DG45ID ME, it does control fan speed. This isn't an issue for me, as the only fans in my HTPC are the PSU ones (Elonex Artisan/FIC Spectra case).

I'll keep this thread updated with progress, and hope the info helps others, esp those using the Blackgold BGT 6320 which needs the later BIOS to disable C states.
post #2568 of 2575 Old 08-06-2012, 06:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamTheBoy View Post

I too have been getting BSODs since upgrading to BIOS 0135 when resuming from S3 sleep. I've always had the odd random BSOD or lockup going into or coming out of S3, but been rare enough to ignore, although it was usually easy enough to provoke by constantly putting it to sleep and waking back up.
However, since the BIOS upgrade, its been daily, sometimes several times a day. I've run the BSODs through the debugger, and no obvious cause, looks like memory corruption. Memtest86+ shows the memory is OK.
Reverting back to 0127 didn't resolve the issue, but did reintroduce the original problem that made me upgrade the BIOS - Blackgold BGT 6320 picture corruption/breakup, which needs C states disabled in BIOS to cure.
However, I'm now back on 0135, but have disabled the ME, and its been 24hrs with no BSOD or lockup. For the first time in ages, it actually feels robust.
I know disabling the ME isn't going to be for everyone - although there isn't really any management capability in the DG45ID ME, it does control fan speed. This isn't an issue for me, as the only fans in my HTPC are the PSU ones (Elonex Artisan/FIC Spectra case).
I'll keep this thread updated with progress, and hope the info helps others, esp those using the Blackgold BGT 6320 which needs the later BIOS to disable C states.

If you haven't tried a recovery BIOS update, it's worth a shot.
post #2569 of 2575 Old 05-12-2013, 02:51 AM

Should have added (ages ago - sorry), nothing seems to stop this board BSOD'ing from S3. I thought I'd cracked it when I disabled the onboard LAN, as it ran for days without a BSOD, but as soon as I plugged in a PCI NIC, it started giving various, random Windows STOP errors about 45s after resuming from S3.

My solution to this - I replaced it with a DH67GD and a 35W i5 last August, and my media center has been superbly stable ever since.

My advice would be to avoid this board like the plague. It speaks volumes that Intel dropped support on this board so quickly, as Intel normally support a board for a reasonable amount of time. This board obviously has serious flaws that they couldn't entirely work around just with BIOS code.

Its a shame, as the featureset makes it absolutely ideal for a silent running media center, despite its age.
post #2570 of 2575 Old 06-08-2013, 11:33 PM

Hi,
I have 2x DG45ID and also BSOD after waking from S3 ( bios 135).
I suspected memory corruption and prepared a test to verify this assumption.
The test is described here ( sorry, in French):
http://forum.hardware.fr/forum2.php?config=hfr.inc&cat=4&subcat=438&post=332868&page=1&p=1&sondage=0&owntopic=1&trash=0&trash_post=0&print=0&numreponse=0&quote_only=0&new=0&nojs=0
It is quite simple, you run MEMTEST with enough instances to cover all memory sticks and at the same time launch SLEEPER which puts the PC in S3 sleep for some time and then wakes it and so on for a number of cycles you want.
After less than 15mn, you get memory errors.
Go back to bios 127 (using F7 and .bio bios file) and then check again.
I stopped the test after several hours without memory errors.
This was verified with my two DG45IDs.
I dont know if this is related to C-state disabled (was disabled with bios 135) or something else.

I also got a DH67GD with core i5 2500 in 2011 and it is very reliable.
I strongly suspect that DG45ID has an electrical noise (glitches, not sounds smile.gif ) problem somewhere related to the single wire link between the chipset and thermal & voltage sensor chip,
and that the various workarounds tried to reduce the noise with more or less success.
/
edit 8/2013
After 10 weeks running perfect, one of the two boards got again the old problem of cpu fan running full speed (and idu hanged) which was more or less assumed (but not officially) to be solved by disabling cpu c-states.
So we have the choice, sleep memory corruption (bios 135) or fan malfunction (bios 127).
There are also bios 129 and 131p in between. maybe some time I'll check them again.
post #2571 of 2575 Old 07-17-2014, 03:59 PM

Hi Guys,

Like last time, please excuse my novice

After 2 long years of some serious academic study period ( from books and laptop) , i opened my desktop again ..... i intend to use it for basic usage - browsing, watching HD Movies

So, i wanted to buy a RAM , and the DG45ID motherboard support site - stated " ddr2 800 sdram 1.8v dimm spd non-ecc unbuffered, maximum of 2 GB per slot while using 1 Gbit SDRAM technology , 5-5-5-15 etc etc " which is greek and latin to me , however i tried searching with these keywords , in amazon & ebay , only to realise that i didnot find any RAM matching these

So, I request you guys to PLEASE , give me web links of apt RAMs to buy for this mobo,
...... ( I live in India . Kingston Transcend Samsung are the usual makers of RAM here ........... however , given the present scenario, i guess i will be ending up with foreign brands ?! )

Also, Should i buy 1x 2 GB RAM (or) 2 x 2 GB RAMs ?
....................... ( either for performance reasons - as my processor is just e7400 core2duo 2.8 GHz , or for the reason that , these RAMs will no longer be available in future )

Thanks in advance
Awaiting help

Last edited by srimedico; 07-17-2014 at 04:06 PM.
post #2572 of 2575 Old 07-18-2014, 05:46 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 357
post #2573 of 2575 Old 07-18-2014, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by renethx View Post
2 x 2GB is recommended. For example,

Crucial Part # CT849079, the same as CT2KIT25664AA800 at Amazon.com
Many Many thanks renethx

the Amazon link u kindly provided is showing as unable to ship to my place ..... so I have looked at the crucial ram list u
given and I found this - http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/bls2g2d80ebs1s00

Amazon buy link

eBay buy link

Is this ram OK ?

In crucial's dg45id ram list I see that there is something like pc2 8500 ddr2 1066 as fully compatible with dg45id - but , is that so ? bcos on my mobo box it said only ddr2 800 667 SD ram

Also another doubt is , in some listed RAMs cl is 6,7 etc ..... but isn't it should be 5 for dg45id ?

And finally which to choose - 256 megs x 64 or 128 megs x 64 ?

Thanks

Last edited by srimedico; 07-18-2014 at 09:33 PM.
post #2574 of 2575 Old 07-19-2014, 12:48 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 357
Good. Buy two modules. 2 x 2GB = 4GB

DDR2-1066 is able to run at any speed lower than that, e.g. as DDR2-800/667. A memory module of CL=6 is able to run as CL=5, etc.

Setting aside what 256megx64 means (256Mb x 64 = 256x64/8 MB = 2048MB = 2GB), just choose two 2GB modules.
srimedico likes this.
post #2575 of 2575 Old 07-19-2014, 03:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by renethx View Post
Good. Buy two modules. 2 x 2GB = 4GB

DDR2-1066 is able to run at any speed lower than that, e.g. as DDR2-800/667. A memory module of CL=6 is able to run as CL=5, etc.

Setting aside what 256megx64 means (256Mb x 64 = 256x64/8 MB = 2048MB = 2GB), just choose two 2GB modules.

OK ... Thank you very much renethx

Nice to see Newton's experiment after a very long time BTW !!
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page