*Official* Intel G45 DG45FC mini-ITX HTPC Motherboard Thread - Page 52 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1531 of 1591 Old 02-10-2010, 06:08 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by danwallie View Post

I would warn against using this case from Chenbro. I had a DG45FC in the same case and the power supply failed after a couple of weeks and took the motherboard with it.

Very interesting!

Did you have the 120w or the 180w version and did they replace it under warranty?

I've had mine for almost a year now with no problems except the annoying PSU noise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1532 of 1591 Old 02-11-2010, 12:38 AM

mmm very interesting (and sad) i have contacted both the guy who sold me the case and the Chenbro...let's see what they answer (if they will).

In the meanwhile i am keep upgrading my system, i bought a PCI-E X1 Sata Card (so i would have been able to use all 6 Chenbro slots) but unfortunately when i connect an HDD to one of the sata port coming from the PCI-E X1 Sata Card the O.S. (Windows 7) wont start. Do you guys know if i have to change something in the bios or anything else?

Thank You, PandreoL.
post #1533 of 1591 Old 02-12-2010, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PandreoL View Post

mmm very interesting (and sad) i have contacted both the guy who sold me the case and the Chenbro...let's see what they answer (if they will).

In the meanwhile i am keep upgrading my system, i bought a PCI-E X1 Sata Card (so i would have been able to use all 6 Chenbro slots) but unfortunately when i connect an HDD to one of the sata port coming from the PCI-E X1 Sata Card the O.S. (Windows 7) wont start. Do you guys know if i have to change something in the bios or anything else?

Thank You, PandreoL.

are you sure that it support the boot?
post #1534 of 1591 Old 02-12-2010, 03:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcowlg View Post

are you sure that it support the boot?

I don't know, but i didn't connect my OS Hdd to it, i connected another HDD...windows starts but it gets stuck at the logo point :_(

i thought maybe there was something to be done in the BIOS

help me pls!

/salute
post #1535 of 1591 Old 02-12-2010, 05:30 AM

Liked: 16
I'm running XP. When I wake the DG45FC from LAN it does not turn on the display (the display is blank and reports that the PC is sending a 640x480 signal). As a result, I cannot connect to the system remotely using either VNC or Windows Remote Desktop. VNC reports "SelectObject to CompatibleDC failed" error after I entered the password, while Windows Remote Desktop just quits after I logged in.

If I wake the system from keyboard then it turns on the display to the correct 1920x1080 resolution and I would have no problem with either form of remote access.

I don't have this problem with any of my other systems (ATI and Nvidia IGP and ATI discrete graphics).

Any idea how to fix this?
post #1536 of 1591 Old 02-16-2010, 05:48 AM
AVS Special Member

have you tried uninstalling VNC and just using RDP?

You may have to install RDP 6.0 client [if you are RDPing from XP]. Vista and Win 7 already have the new client installed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazebo View Post

I'm running XP. When I wake the DG45FC from LAN it does not turn on the display (the display is blank and reports that the PC is sending a 640x480 signal). As a result, I cannot connect to the system remotely using either VNC or Windows Remote Desktop. VNC reports "SelectObject to CompatibleDC failed" error after I entered the password, while Windows Remote Desktop just quits after I logged in.

If I wake the system from keyboard then it turns on the display to the correct 1920x1080 resolution and I would have no problem with either form of remote access.

I don't have this problem with any of my other systems (ATI and Nvidia IGP and ATI discrete graphics).

Any idea how to fix this?

-Rajiv
post #1537 of 1591 Old 02-26-2010, 05:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Hi Guys,

This little motherboard made me fall back into the HTPC wagon. I assembled an HTPC with these components

http://www.amazon.com/registry/wishl...dard&x=21&y=12

I based it on Win 7 Media Center and along with a Blu-Ray drive, the MyMovies plugin and an external Cablecard tuner I am on HTPC heaven.

Actually not in heaven because I can't get the picture quality to be quite as good as my Tivo HD or stand alone blu-Ray player. Nothing drastic, just a little more noise on backgrounds and nor quite the same contrast.

Have you guys encountered this problem or use software to better calibrate the output of the G45 card?

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Cheers!
post #1538 of 1591 Old 02-27-2010, 12:21 PM

Looking for some help on supporting my dg45fc running Ubuntu as my HTPC... I am running HDMI out from the HTPC to my Sharp 48 inch tv.. and when booting ubuntu the video does come up at as a SHARP 37" in 1920x1080, however my taskbars are outside of the screen display, thus having scalling issues...

when i reduce the res to 1024x768 i can work on the screen just fine. My questions is, is anyone having/had this issue? I cant seem to find any drivers from intel to help fix this isses... is anyone using another set of drivers that seems to work?

I am trying to figure out this issue before i begin looking into why i dont have any audio...

any help is appreciated..

ad
post #1539 of 1591 Old 03-01-2010, 01:58 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by trickydic View Post

Looking for some help on supporting my dg45fc running Ubuntu as my HTPC... I am running HDMI out from the HTPC to my Sharp 48 inch tv.. and when booting ubuntu the video does come up at as a SHARP 37" in 1920x1080, however my taskbars are outside of the screen display, thus having scalling issues...

This is a problem with your display, not with the PC.

It's running in Overscan Mode for some reason, and hence not mapping the pixels 1:1. If you can find out how to switch your display into NONE-overscan mode, it should stop stretching the picture (my LG set has "Video" and "PC" modes / with and without overscan).

If your display can't be budged, it's possible to "pre shrink" the video output within Windows - no idea how to do the same in Linux.
post #1540 of 1591 Old 03-01-2010, 11:01 AM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajdude View Post

have you tried uninstalling VNC and just using RDP?

You may have to install RDP 6.0 client [if you are RDPing from XP]. Vista and Win 7 already have the new client installed.

I applied XP SP3 on the server side (DG45FC) and now Remote Desktop works (by powering on the display), but VNC still does not.

Now I issue a WOL to Wake up the DG45FC, run Windows Remote Desktop just to turn on the display, quit RDT and then run VNC (I hate RDT).

Thanks for the suggestion, though.
post #1541 of 1591 Old 03-04-2010, 08:01 AM

I very recently installed Windows 7 x64 installed on my DG45FC system which I use as a HTPC connected exclusively over HDMI to my flat panel TV, both for video and sound. The problem I am having is that I cannot play DVDs in Windows Media Player or Windows Media Center. Windows Media Center reports:

“Video Error
Files needed to display video are not installed or are not working correctly. Restart Windows Media Center or restart the computer”

When I take the computer to my office and connect it to a VGA monitor and headphones, I can play DVDs without problems. I used to have Vista installed on this PC and I was playing DVDs over HDMI without problems.

I installed the latest bios (v.0127) and Windows 7 display drivers (v.15.​17.​0.​2086) and still get the problem. This is very frustrating to me since playing DVDs is a very important function for this system.

Does anybody else have this? Any help would be appreciated.

I tried to contact Intel directly about this but the further I could go was this page http://www.intel.com/support/feedback.htm
I could only post on Intel support community. Is this the only way to report the issue directly to Intel?
post #1542 of 1591 Old 03-04-2010, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olyrous View Post

I very recently installed Windows 7 x64 installed on my DG45FC system which I use as a HTPC connected exclusively over HDMI to my flat panel TV, both for video and sound. The problem I am having is that I cannot play DVDs in Windows Media Player or Windows Media Center. Windows Media Center reports:

Video Error
Files needed to display video are not installed or are not working correctly. Restart Windows Media Center or restart the computer

When I take the computer to my office and connect it to a VGA monitor and headphones, I can play DVDs without problems. I used to have Vista installed on this PC and I was playing DVDs over HDMI without problems.

I installed the latest bios (v.0127) and Windows 7 display drivers (v.15.​17.​0.​2086) and still get the problem. This is very frustrating to me since playing DVDs is a very important function for this system.

Does anybody else have this? Any help would be appreciated.

I tried to contact Intel directly about this but the further I could go was this page http://www.intel.com/support/feedback.htm
I could only post on Intel support community. Is this the only way to report the issue directly to Intel?

Look a few pages back in the DG45ID thread they have mentioned this problem there.

The DG45ID is essentially the same board as the DG45FC but with a different form factor so they share the same drivers.
post #1543 of 1591 Old 03-19-2010, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member

post #1544 of 1591 Old 04-21-2010, 09:01 PM

I have been running Bios version 117 for a while, but occasionally had HDCP audio dropout problems that required unplugging and re-plugging the HDMI cable for sound. Saw in the firmware notes that the latest Bios also updates the video ROM to 1940, so hoping for an improvement I installed Bios rev. 129.

Well guess what... the erratic fan speed oscillation problems came back in this bios! Someone at intel apparently fell asleep at the wheel and didn't read the notes of the previous Bios version author and reverted whatever had fixed the fan oscillation problem.

After re-flashing to 117 the fan oscillation is again gone. But this Bios uses video ROM version 1800.

So, can we get an updated 117 with just a new video ROM version? Or perhaps a V129+ that has the erratic fan speed oscillation problem RE-FIXED?

thanks Intel.
post #1545 of 1591 Old 05-20-2010, 11:15 AM

Hey all, I'm guessing this has not been fixed and browsing the thread I believe Unlogic confirmed several times that this is just an issue but I wanted to see if there were any updates.

Running the DG45FC into my receiver both audio and video then out to TV for video. Everything runs smooth until I shut off the receiver/tv. If it is off for a few minutes, no problem but after being off for an hour or so and then back on the audio no longer works. Only fix I found is to log off/on.

Like I said, I think this is just a known issue with HDCP. I guess windows no longer keeps the HDCP handshake in check after a while so it stops trying and shuts down the HDMI sound.

Is there any fix to this or a refresh sound of any sort in windows? OR; is the best thing just to hook up the optical output for sound?

I'm running Windows 7 64 bit with all the latest drivers installed for MB.
post #1546 of 1591 Old 05-20-2010, 02:12 PM

You can use HDMIon to reset the connection and restore sound. Not automatic but it works.
post #1547 of 1591 Old 06-04-2010, 11:21 AM

Has anyone been using this with XBMC (DSPlayer) and actually got it to work smoothly? I can't for the life of me get it to work good, it's either fastforwarding, audio out of sync or XBMC crash when I stop the movie and the list goes on. It works great in MPC-HC and with DVDPlayer in XBMC, but not with DSPlayer...
post #1548 of 1591 Old 07-31-2010, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member

So I spent a couple of hrs today making this little ckt.

Unfortunately it is not working.

I made it exactly like the picture.....capacitor is close to the IC.
I did enable CIR in the BIOS and installed the correct drivers from intel.com

Any tips?

PS: I do have extensive experience with electronics/soldering etc....so I know that is not the issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by commonjunks View Post

Thank you for your reply.
You mean something like in picture B?

-Rajiv
post #1549 of 1591 Old 08-01-2010, 07:25 AM
AVS Special Member

I got it working! yeah.........it really works!

I found out what the problem was. I used a slightly different IR IC:
http://www.vishay.com/docs/82192/tsop24xx.pdf

this guy's Vs and GND pins are switched [from what is in this diagram]
After I changed it......IR started working!

-Rajiv
post #1550 of 1591 Old 08-07-2010, 01:33 AM

Hey Rajiv,

Thats good, mine didn't work and i have no knowledge of engineering so dropped the idea and bought Logitech keyboard + remote (BlueTooth).

Can you take picture of your CIR and post here?

Thanks.
post #1551 of 1591 Old 08-09-2010, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by commonjunks View Post

Hey Rajiv,

Thats good, mine didn't work and i have no knowledge of engineering so dropped the idea and bought Logitech keyboard + remote (BlueTooth).

Can you take picture of your CIR and post here?

Thanks.

Sure....Here is my little project's photos:

I used a USB internal header cable for this. I cut off one side and soldered the IC, resistor and the capacitor using only three wires.

closeup [before adding another hot shrink sleeve over all the soldered joints]

I drilled a small hole in the unused floppy bay's cover and hot glued this contraption to the back side. The hole matches the IR IC's tiny dome's circumference.

I was afraid that this may make the IR sensor less sensitive to off axis signals....but no! In my testing it works fine if I am holding the remote while standing in one side of the room.

Here is how it looks from the front:

Final product

It works 100% fine!
Even sleep from standby works reliably....something which never worked with the CIR thingy from meritline. and I think that was $30 or something.

total cost : 8 bucks + a couple of hrs of work [includes troubleshooting since it did not work at first [see my post above]. ..........out of which approx 6 was shipping. I did buy two pairs of each component, so I can use it in other HTPCs.

here is exactly what I ordered from Mouser:

If someone needs help with this project........I'd be glad to help. Just post here.

-Rajiv
post #1552 of 1591 Old 08-09-2010, 12:51 PM

killer! I've been wanting to do this forever. Only problem is i'm running linux and I don't have a windows mce remote. I do have a learning remote, so I was hoping i could learn the mce remote codes and all would be good. I gotta get some time to solder this together and give it a go. But without a remote I don't even know if it is worth it.

There is a kernel driver in dev for using the CIR in linux. But I don't know much about it.
post #1553 of 1591 Old 08-09-2010, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member

If you have a learning remote...it should work.
Otherwise you can buy a MCE remote from e-bay for 8 bucks or less....

see here

I also use a learning remote from Universal remote a MX-900

Works flawlessly with its RF controller at the backend.... the MSC-400

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDBones View Post

killer! I've been wanting to do this forever. Only problem is i'm running linux and I don't have a windows mce remote. I do have a learning remote, so I was hoping i could learn the mce remote codes and all would be good. I gotta get some time to solder this together and give it a go. But without a remote I don't even know if it is worth it.

There is a kernel driver in dev for using the CIR in linux. But I don't know much about it.

-Rajiv
post #1554 of 1591 Old 08-09-2010, 01:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Nice job on the IR receiver. How does the CIR work within Windows? Do you need to be running any software or is it translated to keyboard commands? Currently I have an iMon receiver plugged in using USB. Would there be any advantage to using the onboard IR?
post #1555 of 1591 Old 08-10-2010, 06:21 AM
AVS Special Member

this works exactly as the USB IR reciever everyone uses.

Windows [and media center ] understands all IR commands natively. No software is needed. no keyboard emulation needed for MC[although MC does understand keyboard shortcuts]

I have used that iMon in the past....buggy software doing keyboard emulation [maybe they improved it]

This thing is way better.....by the way......everyone I know uses native IR remotes for media center...it is nothing new.

Also, this also understands all commands from the IR keyboard from microsoft.

I have that too........but I never use it on a normal day. The remote does everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spivonious View Post

Nice job on the IR receiver. How does the CIR work within Windows? Do you need to be running any software or is it translated to keyboard commands? Currently I have an iMon receiver plugged in using USB. Would there be any advantage to using the onboard IR?

LL
LL

-Rajiv
post #1556 of 1591 Old 08-10-2010, 06:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Nice, so the driver does all of the heavy lifting.

iMon has gotten a lot less buggy with the latest update, but it does send the wrong keyboard command sometimes. For example, if I hit channel down too fast it sends "0". I'm only using it because it's built-in to my case (Antec Fusion).

How is the response time? Mine has a very slight delay between button press on the remote and the action getting received by Media Center. Can you use it to power on/off the system?
post #1557 of 1591 Old 08-11-2010, 05:41 AM
AVS Special Member

response time is instantaneous....no delay.

Yes, you can power on/off the PC using this remote [you have to enable it in the BIOS and Windows control panel first]

Actually I put my PC into sleep and wake it up. I never power it down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spivonious View Post

Nice, so the driver does all of the heavy lifting.

iMon has gotten a lot less buggy with the latest update, but it does send the wrong keyboard command sometimes. For example, if I hit channel down too fast it sends "0". I'm only using it because it's built-in to my case (Antec Fusion).

How is the response time? Mine has a very slight delay between button press on the remote and the action getting received by Media Center. Can you use it to power on/off the system?

-Rajiv
post #1558 of 1591 Old 08-11-2010, 06:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes, you can power on/off the PC using this remote [you have to enable it in the BIOS and Windows control panel first]

Nice. Where did you get yours?

edit: nevermind, I see it's in your original post. I wonder if I could just salvage the parts from my iMon device. So it's just a cap, a resistor, and an IR receiver?
post #1559 of 1591 Old 08-11-2010, 07:05 AM

I've been running this Mb in my HTPC for almost 9 months now and I have to say it's been very good to me. The one issue I have and it's not all the time but I thought I remembered seeing this issues in the post before but can not find it now - when I turn all my home theater on and wake the HTPC, most of the time I get the media center screen like I'm suppose to, but it's shunk in the center of my TV, I have to CTL+ALT+DEL it to get out of media center and then reboot for it to completely fix it and media center behaves.

Thoughts?

Jer
post #1560 of 1591 Old 08-11-2010, 07:16 AM

Quote:

That's really awesome.

You know, if you put together a step-by-step walkthrough of everything you did to make this work (including visuals of where to solder and whatnot) I imagine it'd help a lot of people that visit this forum looking for this sort of thing. If you could find the time, of course.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page