Assembling HTPC in Origen S16V and S14V cases - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 174 Old 07-24-2008, 10:08 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I built several HTPCs on Origen S16V and S14V cases and I think that some information and pictures may be helpful for other guys.
I planned to put all pictures here but they are to big so I provided link to my page only.

Zygmunt
Perfect Home Theater
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 174 Old 07-24-2008, 02:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks Zygmunt! I am planning to get a S14V to go with the new DG45ID motherboard.

I have a kind of stupid question that you prob know the answer to. When you buy the Origen from PCalchemy, it comes with VF210 VFD/IR Module included and Philips RC197 Vista remote included. But the IR221 is optional. I don't really understand what the IR221 offers. Wouldn't the included remote work with Vista through the IR receiver in the VF210? I don't know why I can't wrap my head around this.
post #3 of 174 Old 07-24-2008, 02:31 PM

Also, since you have built so many, can you confirm if the LG Blueray/HD-DVD long optical drive will fit?
post #4 of 174 Old 07-24-2008, 04:33 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKaustin View Post

Thanks Zygmunt! I am planning to get a S14V to go with the new DG45ID motherboard.

I have a kind of stupid question

There are no stupid questions. Sometimes there are stupid answers.
Quote:

that you prob know the answer to. When you buy the Origen from PCalchemy, it comes with VF210 VFD/IR Module included and Philips RC197 Vista remote included. But the IR221 is optional. I don't really understand what the IR221 offers. Wouldn't the included remote work with Vista through the IR receiver in the VF210? I don't know why I can't wrap my head around this.

IR221 is for someone who needs blasters. RC197 will control your HTPC and can turn on/of TV/projector. If you have remote with macros you can program it to control all your equipment. (I use Universal Remote MX-3000 and control everything from it.)
If you need blasters you can add IR221 at any time. You will get two blasters with IR221 so turning ON/OFF your HTPC should turn on your TV/PJ and receiver/amplifier.

Zygmunt
Perfect Home Theater
post #5 of 174 Old 07-24-2008, 04:40 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Also, since you have built so many, can you confirm if the LG Blueray/HD-DVD long optical drive will fit?

I didn't use this drive but it should fit. This drive is 185 mm long so it shouldn't interfere with memory. However if you use memory with high radiators like Patriot or Corsair it may, depends of your motherboard.
Optical drive sits 3/4" higher in 16V than 14V.

Zygmunt
Perfect Home Theater
post #6 of 174 Old 07-24-2008, 04:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I built a system using the S14V and the LG drive fit.
post #7 of 174 Old 07-24-2008, 06:58 PM

Thanks Zygmunt and Carrera1! Appreciate the help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zygmunt View Post

IR221 is for someone who needs blasters. RC197 will control your HTPC and can turn on/of TV/projector. If you have remote with macros you can program it to control all your equipment.

OK, this makes sense now. Since I have a Harmony 880 I can use it to do normal remote operations in Vista through the already-included IR. I only need the add-in board if I want to change channels on my cable box, etc. I have an external IR sensor with blasters hooked up to USB now and it works great. I will wait n see how it goes with the Origin box before deciding which direction to go.

Next question... how does the VF210's wake-up from off feature work for you? Does it work with all motherboards?
post #8 of 174 Old 07-24-2008, 07:09 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

There are no stupid questions. Sometimes there are stupid answers.IR221 is for someone who needs blasters. RC197 will control your HTPC and can turn on/of TV/projector. If you have remote with macros you can program it to control all your equipment. (I use Universal Remote MX-3000 and control everything from it.)
If you need blasters you can add IR221 at any time. You will get two blasters with IR221 so turning ON/OFF your HTPC should turn on your TV/PJ and receiver/amplifier.

Hi Zygmunt,

I need help... I've asked this in several threads with no responses...

I own a Universal Remote MX-900 which is RF with the MRF-300 basestation:
http://www.universalremote.com/produ...l.php?model=42

The whole thing will be hidden in a cabinet with the HTPC that I'm building based on the S14V or S16V.

What is the best way to get this to control an HTPC?

The basestation has mono-mini-jack serial outputs for emitters. Is there any way to connect the output to an HTPC without converting back to IR? Is there something out there that would allow the RF basestation output to be connected to a USB port or to the motherboard IR header?
post #9 of 174 Old 07-24-2008, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixion View Post

Is there something out there that would allow the RF basestation output to be connected to a USB port or to the motherboard IR header?

Would an RF receiver do it? This one connects via serial port, and can use a USB-to-serial adaptor. ??? Here is another...
Quote:

The W800RF32 family of RF receivers are designed to receive X10 RF signals generated from X10 products: Palm Pad remotes, key chain remotes, Hawkeye motion detectors, and many, many other X10 RF devices.

The W800RF32 then sends these commands directly to your computer's serial(RS232)port. This allows your computer to receive X10 RF commands from remotes and motion detectors directly, without having to broadcast any power line commands, thus minimizing power line clutter and improving home automation response times by bypassing the usual power line delay.

post #10 of 174 Old 07-24-2008, 07:38 PM

Quote:

Would an RF receiver do it? This one connects via serial port, and can use a USB-to-serial adaptor. ??? Here is another...

Thanks for your response.

That won't work because the RF of my remote is 418MHz narrowband. I guess what I'm looking for is either:

1) something that can take the output of the RF basestation and convert it to USB with a driver that recognizes everything as an MCE remote

OR

2) an 418MHz RF to USB receiver that I can plug directly into the HTPC, again with a driver that recognizes it as a MCE remote

Now I have seen these:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833998030
but they are 433MHz.

I can't be the only one in the world wanting to control an HTPC with my URC RF remote?? I Googled everywhere and cannot find a solution for this other than using IR emitters connected via a flasher to the IR eye on the HTPC.

What do people with automation like Crestron control systems do? Do they use emitters?
post #11 of 174 Old 07-24-2008, 08:56 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks Zygmunt and Carrera1! Appreciate the help.

OK, this makes sense now. Since I have a Harmony 880 I can use it to do normal remote operations in Vista through the already-included IR.

Right.
Quote:

I only need the add-in board if I want to change channels on my cable box, etc.

If you can create long enough macro in your 880 you are all set. 880 will do everything if you copy commands from RC197 to 880.
Quote:

I have an external IR sensor with blasters hooked up to USB now and it works great. I will wait n see how it goes with the Origin box before deciding which direction to go.

Next question... how does the VF210's wake-up from off feature work for you? Does it work with all motherboards?

I am sure that it does. I have no problem with any of them. VF210 sends command (received from remote) to motherboard to turn on and off.

Zygmunt
Perfect Home Theater
post #12 of 174 Old 07-24-2008, 09:11 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Hi Zygmunt,

I need help... I've asked this in several threads with no responses...

I own a Universal Remote MX-900 which is RF with the MRF-300 basestation:
http://www.universalremote.com/produ...l.php?model=42

The whole thing will be hidden in a cabinet with the HTPC that I'm building based on the S14V or S16V.

What is the best way to get this to control an HTPC?

The basestation has mono-mini-jack serial outputs for emitters. Is there any way to connect the output to an HTPC without converting back to IR?

I don't think so. I think that emitter is the only option with MRF-300 You can also use front blaster if you are short of emitters.
Quote:

Is there something out there that would allow the RF basestation output to be connected to a USB port or to the motherboard IR header?

I don't know anything like that. If I have more complicated installation with a lot of equipment I use MSC-400 and serial ports together with flashers. (depend of equipment) In your case I would use emitter.

Zygmunt
Perfect Home Theater
post #13 of 174 Old 07-24-2008, 09:19 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

What do people with automation like Crestron control systems do? Do they use emitters?

Depends of equipment. Some devices take IR commands only.
Less expensive option than Crestron is URC system with MSC-400, the best receiver from URC with IR, RF, RS232, USB and trigger outputs.

Zygmunt
Perfect Home Theater
post #14 of 174 Old 07-25-2008, 06:10 AM

I was thinking of getting the s14 but then i saw the pricetag of $379. After power supply, i'll be spending $300 more than i wanted to (vs antec fusion). Is the s14 really worth the extra price? Im not sure if i can justify that when i could spend the $300 on hardware components.
post #15 of 174 Old 07-25-2008, 06:59 AM

Part of the reason to buy these cases is because they are beautiful. Besides being really well put together and the layout being awesome, the reason you spend the extra cash is for the looks. Honestly it is like spending $4000 on a Knoll Barcelona chair... you can get a chair for $50, the extra $3950 is just because it looks amazing.

If you are going to sacrifice elsewhere to get this case, then it is not the case for you. Most of us buy these because the price isn't really an issue.
post #16 of 174 Old 07-25-2008, 07:17 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zyren View Post

I was thinking of getting the s14 but then i saw the pricetag of $379. After power supply, i'll be spending $300 more than i wanted to (vs antec fusion). Is the s14 really worth the extra price? Im not sure if i can justify that when i could spend the $300 on hardware components.

It depends what you are looking for. Origen S series are the best cases I worked on. Top quality, thick aluminum, perfect fit, quiet fans, nice remote and look good with other components.
If you have inexpensive equipment, go with something matching it.
If you spent many, many thousand dollars for amplifier, speakers projector and screen than

Zygmunt
Perfect Home Theater
post #17 of 174 Old 07-25-2008, 09:12 AM

Hi

Do you use IR221 in any of the builds? if so does it work well, because I have read somewhere that there has been problems with it. What software(girder, eventghost) do you use with IR210 and IR221
post #18 of 174 Old 07-25-2008, 09:48 AM

Quote:

I don't think so. I think that emitter is the only option with MRF-300 You can also use front blaster if you are short of emitters.
I don't know anything like that. If I have more complicated installation with a lot of equipment I use MSC-400 and serial ports together with flashers. (depend of equipment) In your case I would use emitter.

Ok thanks Zygmunt. Emitters it is then.
post #19 of 174 Old 08-14-2008, 07:37 PM

I am planning to buy an OrigenAE S14V case and I have two questions:
1) I had a bad experience in the past with loud 60mm fans. Are the rear 60mm fans in the S14V quiet?
2) I noticed the horizontal placement of the PSU. I have a very quiet Corsair HX620 with a side 12cm fan I could recycle from another PC but I am worried that it will gasp for air in the S14V. Which type of PSU did the S14V owners install in the case? Anyone with a success story with a PSU with a side fan?

Thanks!
post #20 of 174 Old 08-15-2008, 05:12 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslg View Post

I am planning to buy an OrigenAE S14V case and I have two questions:
1) I had a bad experience in the past with loud 60mm fans. Are the rear 60mm fans in the S14V quiet?

Yes, they are.
Quote:

2) I noticed the horizontal placement of the PSU. I have a very quiet Corsair HX620 with a side 12cm fan I could recycle from another PC but I am worried that it will gasp for air in the S14V. Which type of PSU did the S14V owners install in the case? Anyone with a success story with a PSU with a side fan?

Yes you can do it, because fan is up.
There is another problem with S14. You can't use high memory modules like OCZ Reaper HPC 4GB or G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB). This memory will NOT fit under DVD drive in S14V.
I use this one for S14V.
Go with S16V. Only $20.00 more and it's one inch (25mm) taller. Advantage: No collision with tall memory DIMMs (unless very tall with huge radiators), 80 mm fans and vertical placement of PS - better cable management.

Zygmunt
Perfect Home Theater
post #21 of 174 Old 08-16-2008, 02:22 PM

Thanks Zygmunt. I liked the skinnier look of the S14V but I agree with you that I lose too much in terms of flexibility inside the case.
I ended up preordering a silver S16V.
post #22 of 174 Old 08-16-2008, 03:25 PM

I ordered a OrigenAE IR221 module that I plan to use in place of the S16V built in IRTrans IR module. Can I completely avoid to install the IRTrans software or do I need to install the IRTrans "MCE Display Driver" feature?

Thanks!
post #23 of 174 Old 08-17-2008, 05:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I didn't install any IR software (from Origen). I used the built-in Vista IR driver and it works fine so far. The case dispay also works. the only issue I'm working on now is the remote jumps two selections at a time for every button press (in Media Center) so I have to use the mouse to go from Movies to Shutdown while in the VMC. I'm sure it is not a big deal to fix. Right now I'm copying movies to HD and reading this forum - so I'll get to that issue later.
post #24 of 174 Old 08-17-2008, 07:11 AM

CountryBumkin,
thanks!
Does this happen with the remote shipped with the S16V case?
I had that problem once with a logitech harmony remote and I fixed it decreasing the number of repeats.
post #25 of 174 Old 08-17-2008, 07:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

CountryBumkin,
thanks!
Does this happen with the remote shipped with the S16V case?
I had that problem once with a logitech harmony remote and I fixed it decreasing the number of repeats.

yes. Both the Origen (Media Center) remote and my Harmony 550 do the same thing. I think it is just a matter of spending some time on the configuartion/setup.
I've got 85 DVD movies copied - about 100 more to go. Then I'll start fine tuning everything. Right now the HTPC is in my office hooked up to my LCD and I'm using the mouse and keyboard, so I can't really test/adjust/troubleshoot the remote.
post #26 of 174 Old 08-18-2008, 04:00 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

I ordered a OrigenAE IR221 module that I plan to use in place of the S16V built in IRTrans IR module. Can I completely avoid to install the IRTrans software or do I need to install the IRTrans "MCE Display Driver" feature?

Thanks!

IR221 is not replacement but extension to Origen system. I prefer IRTrans over Vista driver.
No double jumping in Vista MC (Unless I press button for too long)

Zygmunt
Perfect Home Theater
post #27 of 174 Old 08-28-2008, 03:58 PM

Liked: 11
Can anyone tell me what kind of height a HSF can be in the S16V?

Thanks

post #28 of 174 Old 09-04-2008, 01:18 PM

Hello!

I have assembled my HTPC with the Origen S16V today, but I don't run any operating system yet.
There is one thing I don't understand. How do I connect the VFD/IR-module to the mainboard. There is no USB cable included except the one for the two front-USB ports to get a connection.
Do I need the IR221-module to use the remote control?
I studied the pictures from Zygmunt, but I also didn't find any cable to connect the IR/VFD to the mainboard on that pictures.

Thanks for help!

Dennis
post #29 of 174 Old 09-05-2008, 10:49 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

You just connect USB to MB and power connector to PS and you are all set.
You have to download and install IRTrans software of course.
You don"t need IR221.

Zygmunt
Perfect Home Theater
post #30 of 174 Old 09-06-2008, 12:10 PM

How are you guys connecting the fans for the S16V?

I have my CPU fan connected to the CPU header, the single intake fan connected to the motherboard SYSFAN header, and then I got a fan power splitter from my power supply to connect the dual outtake fans. Those outtake fans are SLOW, but quiet. Is that really enough airflow in there?
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page