LCD+Projector+HDMI Switching Reciever+HTPC Is it Possible? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 08-11-2008, 08:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am at my wits end and have been banished to DRM hell.

the quick and dirty:
Denon AVR-2307CI HDMI Switching Reciever
Samsung 245BW LCD monitor
Optoma HD70 projector (HDMI)
Multiple HTPCs
Core Duo, X-fi via toslink, 512mb 8800 GTS, Vista ultimate.
Quad core Phenom, Radeon 2400 xt w/HDMI audio, Vista Home.

I have spent a few days poring over the forums looking for an answer but all I get are mentions of a "repeater bug" and possible issues with my brand of receiver but no real hard data that I can use to determine if that's my problem.

I want to be able to watch movies and netflix streaming on my optoma while I use the 24inch for whatever else, unfortunately I am not allowed to do this on my current setup due to COPP errors and what not.

"Solutions" provided by the vendors involved aren't "solutions" as much as "don't use dual monitors" and "Don't use a switching receiver". Both are unacceptable responses considering I went out of my way to ensure HDCP compliance.

I don't like having to use products like anyDVD, and infact if DRM wasn't completely broken in the first place I wouldn't have to.

I am pretty much past trying to make what I have work. What I want to know is, Has anyone gotten this sort of thing to work without having to use graymarket workarounds or a ridiculously priced piece of equipment?

Is this just an issue with HTPCs or do other high-def sources have issues with HDMI switching?

Are some manufacturers better than others when it comes to playing nice?
I am not married to my receiver since its a refurb and has been a lemon since day 1. The projector while nice isn't 1080p but I would like to keep it if I can since I don't really have the scratch to drop on both a new receiver and projector.

Also I know I am not the only person with this issue, has anyone considered a class action suit? The reality is that the industry has been preaching convergence for the last decade and now that we finally have the ability to connect our PCs to our Home Theatres, they are going out of their way to make it nearly impossible to do without bending the law. If I wasn't a complete gadget/tech freak I would take my money elsewhere, only it wouldn't matter and there really is no elsewhere to go.

My karma ran over my dogma.
www.radioparadise.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 08-11-2008, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
http://thegreenbutton.com/forums/thread/244281.aspx

some info about this over at TGB forums. Big thing is don't use dual view/clone mode, while trying to watch netflix streaming movies, make sure the display you are using to watch the netflix video is set as the primary display.

HDCP has a tendency to get screwed up with dual monitors, as if you have a display such as a LCD PC monitor that might just not be HDCP complaint.

I can almost take a while stab in the dark and say that your whole issue is you trying to use dual monitors and that your projector is not set to the primary display.

try just disabling the LCD monitor and setting the projector as the primary display and see what happens.

Quote:
Is this just an issue with HTPCs or do other high-def sources have issues with HDMI switching?

again I think this is more a dual display issue and not a hdmi switching issue. I am running a mono price 5 x 1 hdmi switch I have a moto HD DVR, a Toshiba HD-A2, my HTPC which is running both a HD DVD and Blu Ray drive and a xbox 360 elite, and not once have I had a HDCP issue.

Quote:
Also I know I am not the only person with this issue, has anyone considered a class action suit? The reality is that the industry has been preaching convergence for the last decade and now that we finally have the ability to connect our PCs to our Home Theatres, they are going out of their way to make it nearly impossible to do without bending the law. If I wasn't a complete gadget/tech freak I would take my money elsewhere, only it wouldn't matter and there really is no elsewhere to go.

yes but your NOT trying to use your PC as a dedicated HTPC, your trying to get away with and use it as a dual purpose machine and the big issue is the dual monitor setup, take out that second display, and set the projector to primary display and you'll find that it'll work much better than you think.

- Josh
post #3 of 12 Old 08-11-2008, 09:40 AM - Thread Starter

I Have read that thread before :-) believe me....I have spent an inordinate amount of time trying to resolve these conflicts in my system.

Quote:

try just disabling the LCD monitor and setting the projector as the primary display and see what happens.

I have tried multiple setups.
HTPC direct to Projector as primary Works fine but I don't get any switching capabilities out of my receiver
HTPC direct to Samsung 245BW also works but again defeats the purpose of having the receiver.
HTPC to Projector via the receiver doesn't work for ANY media playback protected or otherwise. This is with ONLY the primary connected and I am using HDMI from the HTPC (supplying audio and video via a proprietary(WHY??!?? when the spec is designed for it) dongle)
Both displays, doesn't matter which is primary, samsung connected via DVI direct, projector via HDMI and the receiver. Content plays fine on the samsung. Will not play on the projector.

Also of note, with the first two configurations the cyberlink BD advisor reports full HDCP compliance and everything is happy.
On the third it reports that my display is not a protected chain
On the final (preferred) configuration everything is happy when I use the BD advisor on the samsung but when I move the app to the projector display and re-run the test it fails.

Quote:

yes but your NOT trying to use your PC as a dedicated HTPC, your trying to get away with and use it as a dual purpose machine and the big issue is the dual monitor setup, take out that second display, and set the projector to primary display and you'll find that it'll work much better than you think.

Not trying to be contradictory here but what exactly is a dedicated HTPC? My HTPC is my main machine. I use it for browsing the web, watching movies, playing games, photo editing etc. AFAIK HTPC != only movies/media only on a single screen. Likewise if my displays are HDCP compliant it should not matter how many there are. I can accept that as an early adopter I got a receiver that does not play nice, but personally I really feel like I am playing by the rules here and getting a raw deal rather than trying to get away with something as was implied.

Lastly your statement brings me to this thought, are the folks making these decisions really that deluded to think that I am going be turning on my HTPC only to watch movies and will have another "general purpose" PC that I use for everything else? Whats up with the hatin' on the dual monitor setup? I like to use my computer while watching tv/movies/etc, in fact I have a hard time just sitting there watching something. With dual monitors I can continue to use my PC even when the main screen is displaying the cable box or wii or whatever. I don't understand why this is considered to be such a bad thing....

-Z

www.radioparadise.com
post #4 of 12 Old 08-11-2008, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by prozach View Post

I
I have tried multiple setups.
HTPC direct to Projector as primary Works fine but I don't get any switching capabilities out of my receiver
HTPC direct to Samsung 245BW also works but again defeats the purpose of having the receiver.
HTPC to Projector via the receiver doesn't work for ANY media playback protected or otherwise. This is with ONLY the primary connected and I am using HDMI from the HTPC (supplying audio and video via a proprietary(WHY??!?? when the spec is designed for it) dongle)
Both displays, doesn't matter which is primary, samsung connected via DVI direct, projector via HDMI and the receiver. Content plays fine on the samsung. Will not play on the projector.

Also of note, with the first two configurations the cyberlink BD advisor reports full HDCP compliance and everything is happy.
On the third it reports that my display is not a protected chain
On the final (preferred) configuration everything is happy when I use the BD advisor on the samsung but when I move the app to the projector display and re-run the test it fails.

Sounds like you have troubleshooted and already found your issue, its your AV receiver, it is breaking the HDCP chain. Why? could be any number of things, but if you have your receiver between your HTPC and your projector and the BD advisor is reporting it as a non-compliant HDCP device when the receiver is in the mix, its your receiver, simple as that.

Quote:

Not trying to be contradictory here but what exactly is a dedicated HTPC? My HTPC is my main machine. I use it for browsing the web, watching movies, playing games, photo editing etc. AFAIK HTPC != only movies/media only on a single screen.

Well your definition of a HTPC isn't everyones definition of a HTPC. That is the reason I said "dedicated" it is dedicated for a single/sole purpose, being connected to a home theater system only, no keyboards, no mouse, just USB IR receiver, remote and the 10 foot interface of your choice.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Home_theater_PC

Quote:

A home theater PC (HTPC) or media PC is a convergence device that combines the functions of a personal computer and a digital video recorder. It is connected to a television or a television-sized computer display and is often used as a digital photo, music, video player, TV receiver and digital video recorder.

But hey we're just getting into semantics here now

Quote:

Likewise if my displays are HDCP compliant it should not matter how many there are.

in correct. If you do a search online or here on AVS, you'll find that there are MANY people with issues of HDCP with using dual displays, because the protected path gets screwed up.

and because your receiver is breaking the HDCP chain, that is the reason your having all of these issues.

Quote:

I can accept that as an early adopter I got a receiver that does not play nice, but personally I really feel like I am playing by the rules here and getting a raw deal rather than trying to get away with something as was implied.

dude, your NOT the only one having issues with HDCP compliance when it pertains to HDMI receivers, many others with varying brands all are having the same issues. Its not just you. But unfortunately the only way to fix this is to A.) take the receiver out of the mix, B.) replace the receiver.

Quote:

Lastly your statement brings me to this thought, are the folks making these decisions really that deluded to think that I am going be turning on my HTPC only to watch movies and will have another "general purpose" PC that I use for everything else?

sure.. many of us, including myself do. My thpc is my primary DVR, DVD juke box, and blu ray player, and that is is. It does NOTHING else but AV content.

You may think its "deluded" to do such a thing, but its more for stability, reliability, ease of use, ease of setup, ease of operation, high on WAF, you name it.

You don't have a wife and kid(s) that use your "HTPC" on their own when your not around do you?

Quote:

Whats up with the hatin' on the dual monitor setup?

as already stated it complicates things immensely, causes possible issues with HDCP, makes every day operations that much more complicated. If your using a program like vista media center, or power dvd, they tend not to like being used and setup on "secondary" displays. using VMR9 rendering doesn't come out right when using secondary displays, you can have issues with color space and black levels, the list goes on.

Quote:

I like to use my computer while watching tv/movies/etc, in fact I have a hard time just sitting there watching something.

That's what laptops are for

Quote:

With dual monitors I can continue to use my PC even when the main screen is displaying the cable box or wii or whatever. I don't understand why this is considered to be such a bad thing....

-Z

All kidding aside, I NEVER said it was a bad thing, it again as previously stated, just complicates things and causes issues like your experiencing now.

- Josh
post #5 of 12 Old 08-11-2008, 02:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by umdivx View Post

Sounds like you have troubleshooted and already found your issue, its your AV receiver, it is breaking the HDCP chain. Why? could be any number of things, but if you have your receiver between your HTPC and your projector and the BD advisor is reporting it as a non-compliant HDCP device when the receiver is in the mix, its your receiver, simple as that.

Which is precisely why I was fairly light on details initially. I have already been down the road with my AVR manufacturer who wanted to point the finger at everyone else. I am also not convinced that is the case. If it were, my cable box which is connected via HDMI to the receiver would be un-happy which it isn't. So while empirical testing would imply that it is infact my receiver, research on th' net indicates that the problem is much wider spread across multiple AVR vendors.

Which brings me back to my initial goal with this post.
My intent was not to elicit support trying to troubleshoot my setup. I'm past that....stick a fork in me I am done.

According to the specs and the standards, a dual monitor, HDCP compliant setup should be possible.

What I want to know is, has ANYONE been able to successfully do this with an HDMI switching receiver?

Quote:

Well your definition of a HTPC isn't everyones definition of a HTPC. That is the reason I said "dedicated" it is dedicated for a single/sole purpose, being connected to a home theater system only, no keyboards, no mouse, just USB IR receiver, remote and the 10 foot interface of your choice.

Not buying what you're selling. I seriously doubt Keyboardless and Mouseless HTPCs are the norm. Sure you get the highend stuff where the PC is just a glorified DVD player.....if thats what you're after just save yourself the trouble and buy the standalone.

Quote:

in correct. If you do a search online or here on AVS, you'll find that there are MANY people with issues of HDCP with using dual displays, because the protected path gets screwed up.

dude, your NOT the only one having issues with HDCP compliance when it pertains to HDMI receivers, many others with varying brands all are having the same issues. Its not just you. But unfortunately the only way to fix this is to A.) take the receiver out of the mix, B.) replace the receiver.

Right, so why aren't there more people pissed off about it? Or at the very least databases containing working equipment combinations that work? (my overall goal here) Are they just giving up?

A is not an option and shouldn't even be a suggestion under these circumstances (being that this is a forum devoted to home theatre)

So tell me which receivers work.

Quote:

sure.. many of us, including myself do. My thpc is my primary DVR, DVD juke box, and blu ray player, and that is is. It does NOTHING else but AV content.

Is this by choice/design or because you had to to make it workable?

Quote:

You may think its "deluded" to do such a thing, but its more for stability, reliability, ease of use, ease of setup, ease of operation, high on WAF, you name it.

People can set it up however they want. When I am talking about being deluded I am not referring to the consumer. I am talking about the person sitting in the meeting where someone says "hey this might not work in some situations" and someone responds with "so what, we aren't going to support that configuration" in reference to a common setup. Somebody somewhere screwed up either on purpose or accident, which incidentally was one of my main points.

Quote:

You don't have a wife and kid(s) that use your "HTPC" on their own when your not around do you?

No kids, the "live in" has her own machine and my harmony remote does all the hard work for the HTPC. Shes actually pretty savvy and I have been helping her when needed.

Basically because of the way my house is situated I have a command center of sorts that overlooks the theatre. So the HTPC is always on and gets used for alot of menial tasks like looking up a recipe online or getting directions(things you need a keyboard and mouse for :-) I see no point in having two machines when the one works just fine. And keep in mind that the only thing I have a problem with is playing DVDs/HD-DVDs/BR/Netflix streams. Everything else works flawlessly.

Quote:

as already stated it complicates things immensely, causes possible issues with HDCP, makes every day operations that much more complicated. If your using a program like vista media center, or power dvd, they tend not to like being used and setup on "secondary" displays. using VMR9 rendering doesn't come out right when using secondary displays, you can have issues with color space and black levels, the list goes on.

Which is the exact opposite of everything any DRM proponent will tell you. As the consumer I should never even have to THINK about DRM let alone make sure that my equipment adheres (Which is impossible to guarantee 100% as an End User)
Pretty sure that every single video card in the last 5 years has two outputs. Its practically standard fare. What I want to know is why are there still issues with that sort of thing? Its not exactly new.

But I digress. I am not looking for help diagnosing my problem, I "know" what it is and all signs point to my AVR not playing nice, or at least my PC not playing nice with my AVR.

My goal was to identify a working setup with this configuration that does not require me to technically break the law in order to watch my content.

it hasn't happened yet.

www.radioparadise.com
post #6 of 12 Old 08-11-2008, 03:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Which is precisely why I was fairly light on details initially. I have already been down the road with my AVR manufacturer who wanted to point the finger at everyone else. I am also not convinced that is the case. If it were, my cable box which is connected via HDMI to the receiver would be un-happy which it isn't. So while empirical testing would imply that it is infact my receiver, research on th' net indicates that the problem is much wider spread across multiple AVR vendors.

not all cable boxes require HDCP, if at all.

True test would be to get a blu ray player, plug it in the receiver and see if you get HDCP issues.

Quote:

Which brings me back to my initial goal with this post.
My intent was not to elicit support trying to troubleshoot my setup. I'm past that....stick a fork in me I am done.

According to the specs and the standards, a dual monitor, HDCP compliant setup should be possible.

What I want to know is, has ANYONE been able to successfully do this with an HDMI switching receiver?

specs and standards are one thing, and no specs I've ever read of, heard of have implied HDCP compliance with dual monitor setups.

Quote:

Not buying what you're selling. I seriously doubt Keyboardless and Mouseless HTPCs are the norm. Sure you get the highend stuff where the PC is just a glorified DVD player.....if thats what you're after just save yourself the trouble and buy the standalone.

Then you haven't been around all that long and yes I have a keyboard and mouse, but I only take it out, on the small rare occasion I want to use it for something like nbc, abc, cbs streaming video sites, most of the time for youtube and such I use the VMC plugins that I can just use my remote to browse youtube.

and like I said before I am not just doing a golorified dvd player, check out www.mymovies.dk or do a google search for DVD Library for media center. Also blu ray and hd dvd drives, 6 tuner cards.

With one Machine I have a DVD juke box, HD DVD/Blu Ray player, HD DVR, I also have 3 media center extenders (two linksys DMA 2100's and an xbox 360) on other tv's in my home so I can stream live and recorded TV to ANY tv in my home.

My system as well as many others are more than just a glorified dvd player as you so graciously called it.

Quote:

Right, so why aren't there more people pissed off about it? Or at the very least databases containing working equipment combinations that work? (my overall goal here) Are they just giving up?

Your the first person I've heard here complaining they are getting the COPP error msg's when trying to use the netflix web streaming.

Other than that if me/they/anyone else has issues with HDCP compliance, AnyDVD HD is your friend. Why make a big deal out of nothing when a simple piece of software fixes all the pain and suffering?

Besides I love how AnyDVD makes you able to skip right to the main feature, bypassing all the adds and crap at the beginning of the disk.

Quote:

A is not an option and shouldn't even be a suggestion under these circumstances (being that this is a forum devoted to home theatre)

So tell me which receivers work.

you don't need an AV receiver to do hdmi switching, that is just a feature, My receiver doesn't do any switching at all, just audio in for the audio, and that is it.

Well since this isn't a Receiver sub forum, maybe head over to that sub forum and ask over there which receiver tend of have better HDCP compliance outcomes.

Quote:

Is this by choice/design or because you had to to make it workable?

My personal choice, like I said, why complicate things when you don't have to?

Quote:

People can set it up however they want. When I am talking about being deluded I am not referring to the consumer. I am talking about the person sitting in the meeting where someone says "hey this might not work in some situations" and someone responds with "so what, we aren't going to support that configuration" in reference to a common setup. Somebody somewhere screwed up either on purpose or accident, which incidentally was one of my main points.

Not really sure where your going with this. Sure people can setup a system how ever they please, doesn't mean it was intended, designed, specified for that purpose. So expecting a non-standard/common setup to work the way you personally would like and expect it to be the issue of everyone else doesn't quiet make sense here.

when it comes to HDCP its a tricky thing for PC's, even if the pc is "compliant" something can easily break it, it your case your AV receiver is breaking the HDCP chain, why? who really knows why. How to fix it, as already said, bypass the AV receiver for HDMI switching, and go straight to the source, or get a different receiver.

There is honestly nothing you can change in the pc setup to fix it, other than maybe a different video card, but that's pushing it.

Quote:

No kids, the "live in" has her own machine and my harmony remote does all the hard work for the HTPC. Shes actually pretty savvy and I have been helping her when needed.

well try having kids, or non-tech savy wife, or any other non-techy end users trying to use the setup you have going without major training/tech support involved.

That's why any of the big contributors on here, including myself, follow the KISS method extensively.

Quote:

And keep in mind that the only thing I have a problem with is playing DVDs/HD-DVDs/BR/Netflix streams. Everything else works flawlessly.

Have you tried the "set the tv is the primary display" option yet? Most applications for DVD and Blu Ray, IE powerDVD and Arcsof TMT need to be set to primary display to work correctly.

So if right now your TV is set as the secondary display, and that is the display you are trying to get DVD, Blu Ray, ect... working, that might be the issue right there.

Quote:

Which is the exact opposite of everything any DRM proponent will tell you. As the consumer I should never even have to THINK about DRM let alone make sure that my equipment adheres (Which is impossible to guarantee 100% as an End User)

Saying that and actually having that be 100% true are two totally different things, sad thing to say that it the unfortunate truth, but you HAVE to deal with this stuff.

It is just like trying to get Apple Itunes copy protected content to play on anything other than an ipod.

or in PC terms, if you had hooked up your pc to your big screen via component video cabled, and the desktop rez was anything larger than 480p and you tried to play back a dvd you would get a playback error msg, that is because macrovision blocks the ability to do upscaled dvd playback with analog connections.

So these issues were around long before HDCP was ever implemented.

Quote:

Pretty sure that every single video card in the last 5 years has two outputs. Its practically standard fare. What I want to know is why are there still issues with that sort of thing? Its not exactly new.

Dual PC monitors yes, pc monitor and big screen display, not so much, also HDCP is also a relatively new ordeal all together as well, specially for pc video cards, so this all might just be a video card, card manufacturing issue too, you just never know.

Quote:

My goal was to identify a working setup with this configuration that does not require me to technically break the law in order to watch my content.

it hasn't happened yet.

well unfortunately that might be a while before that is the case. until now there are solutions, just not might what you want to hear or use.

- Josh
post #7 of 12 Old 08-11-2008, 05:27 PM - Thread Starter

Not sure what your motivations are but it would appear that you are more concerned with rebuking all of my statements in an effort to convince me that I am misguided rather than providing any really useful information relevant to my post.

I already use Mymovies in conjunction with my multi-terabyte NAS.

Just because I don't have 4000 posts to my name doesn't mean I haven't been around long. It just means I spend more time reading on here than typing.

I just wanted to know if can be done, and how. Not how to do it someway different.

ps, I already looked at your setup so please, no need to rehash things you have said elsewhere. I'm not here to get into a pissing match over equipment.

www.radioparadise.com
post #8 of 12 Old 08-11-2008, 06:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Then you haven't been around all that long and yes I have a keyboard and mouse, but I only take it out, on the small rare occasion I want to use it for something like nbc, abc, cbs streaming video sites, most of the time for youtube and such I use the VMC plugins that I can just use my remote to browse youtube

http://picasaweb.google.com/umdivx/B...03042034443842

I think someones pants are burning.

www.radioparadise.com
post #9 of 12 Old 08-11-2008, 08:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

http://picasaweb.google.com/umdivx/B...03042034443842

I think someones pants are burning.

Not sure what that is suppose to mean but ok....

Did you even bother to take my small piece of advice about the primary and secondary display settings? instead of trying to "attack" me for no reason at all.

Your the one who came in here asking for help, and I am trying to help you, which is the reason I have 4K+ posts is that I am one of the few in here who do actually try and help people, if you notice I am the ONLY one posting here in this thread because this honestly isn't that common of a setup and you won't find many others having this same issue.

You're the one that came in here with a negative connotation right off the bat, I am just trying to give you the reasoning behind the things that are going wrong, and what to expect, and that things won't change, and that unfortunately we have to live with them, this is a niche market, so what you're trying to do isn't going to captivate a company to change anything, so we have to live what what we get and learn to work around those intricacies.

What you don't realize is that I have already been there and done that. My first HTPC setup was me trying to use my every day office pc in a dual monitor setup, where I ran a 25 foot HDMI cable through the wall to the next room where my first home theater setup was. and I once had these same issues that you are having now, I gave up and when I finished my basement that you so nicely pointed out, setup a dedicated HTPC to get rid of the oddities and issues I had trying to run a dual monitor setup.

So its not like I am a noob here, and that I have no idea what your talking about. just one of those "been there, done that" things.

so with that if you don't want to take any advice, I'll end it here, and bid you good luck trying to find the answer you so desire.

have a good one,
- Josh
post #10 of 12 Old 08-11-2008, 10:10 PM

Quote:

Well in fact I has. My setup is HTPC and XBOX360 plugged into Onkyo 805 using HDMI. HTPC is dual screen, because it not only supplies receiver with a signal, but also is having its own 7" LCD display. Receiver is sending signal to my Panasonic PT-AE900 projector also by HDMI. I haven't moved to Blu-Ray yet, but I can play DVDs on both HTPC and XBOX360 with no additional software such as AnyDVD.
post #11 of 12 Old 08-12-2008, 01:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusan View Post

Well in fact I has. My setup is HTPC and XBOX360 plugged into Onkyo 805 using HDMI. HTPC is dual screen, because it not only supplies receiver with a signal, but also is having its own 7" LCD display. Receiver is sending signal to my Panasonic PT-AE900 projector also by HDMI. I haven't moved to Blu-Ray yet, but I can play DVDs on both HTPC and XBOX360 with no additional software such as AnyDVD.

Dusan, this is exactly what I am looking for.
Are the two displays the same resolution (cloned) or different (ala extended desktop)?
Also what kind of video card are you using?

-Z

www.radioparadise.com
post #12 of 12 Old 08-12-2008, 11:37 PM

Quote:

Dusan, this is exactly what I am looking for.
Are the two displays the same resolution (cloned) or different (ala extended desktop)?
Also what kind of video card are you using?

All setups are possible. Cloning is working and in fact that's the default setup after Windows detection of my receiver, but not very practical as maximum resolution of small display is mere 1024x768 (800x600 recommended) and the projector's native resolution is 720p. So I have been using extended desktop (primary 800x600, secondary 720p) for long time which was nice, because on small display I had digital clock and on extended Media Center. Looked good until I came across My Movies. The problem is that Windows can't display on secondary 16:9 while primary is 4:3, so Windows desktop on projector was always 4:3. That's not problem with MCE, because MCE is displayed full screen on its own and can run 16:9 even with 4:3 desktop resolution format. However, My Movies are not supporting displaying using this native MCE mode and therefore shows as 4:3 in 16:9 MCE which is plain ugly and some information on the screen are of limits and unaccessible. So right now, I'm always switching off my small display while using My Movies and waiting for new My Movies version that should go to beta testing anytime soon and should support native MCE screen handling.
I'm using on-board graphical card ATI X1250, motherboard Asus M2A-VM HDMI.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page