1Likes

post #271 of 3862 Old 09-29-2008, 05:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by nextoo View Post

It works. I installed the beta driver. Captured some content and in Tsmuxer the audio is reported as AC3 with 6 channels.

So far so good. Now I just have to figure out how to burn it to DVD for playback in a blu-ray player - without using TME for burning.

Any suggestions anyone?

Well, as soon as I get home and can try out the drivers, I will taking the commercial route and using Ulead Videostudio 11.5+. It worked with the old (raw) video files which the 1212 produced, but it could not deal with the AAC audio stream. The new driver actually makes my process a little bit easier, as I can go directly from recording to authoring with Ulead. I can get NEARLY frame accurate results when I edit out my commercials. Of course, I also have to wait a day or so for my computer to finish transcoding the video. I REALLY need a quad core.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 3862 Old 09-29-2008, 05:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 30
OK...I was, uh, re-inspired to try again...reinstalled, reboot, and now it works Short test proved successful.

Vizio M801D-A3

JimK

post #273 of 3862 Old 09-29-2008, 07:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Those of you who are testing recording 5.1 audio -- what software are y'all using to record? I'm unable to get anything but 2.0 DD with TME. What's the simplest other software to do manual recording from material already recorded to the satellite HD receiver? (I have SageTV that I use with the HDHomeRun for scheduled OTA, but have never been able to figure out how to do manual recording with Sage.)
post #274 of 3862 Old 09-29-2008, 07:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Does anyone know of anyone's systematic evaluation of the resolution/ motion artifact differences between the various compression ratios? variable vs constant bit rate? low average but with high peak values, etc.?

I will probably be buying a Sony BDPS350 bluray next week [they just came down $100 to $299! Sweet!], already have several BluRay resolution test discs, and will attempt my own comparisons if no one else has.

8.8 Mbps CBR let's me get 2 hr of 1080i onto a DVD+DL disc and it seems pretty sharp and artifact free, except for explosions of red fire which break up into tiles/ macro blocking (whatever you want to call it). Livable but I'd like to know exactly what the sweet spots are in terms of quality vs time going all the way down to what is said to be the bare minimum for HD, 5 Mbps.

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there is no concept of "accounting for taste". We don't "pick" the level of bass any more than we get to pick the ending of a play. High fidelity is an unbiased, neutral, exact copy (or "reproduction") of the original source's tonal balance, timing, dynamics, etc..

post #275 of 3862 Old 09-29-2008, 08:02 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pagali View Post

Those of you who are testing recording 5.1 audio -- what software are y'all using to record? I'm unable to get anything but 2.0 DD with TME. What's the simplest other software to do manual recording from material already recorded to the satellite HD receiver? (I have SageTV that I use with the HDHomeRun for scheduled OTA, but have never been able to figure out how to do manual recording with Sage.)

I have used both TME and rctvcap with success. The only problem I had was when using the spdif audio input I had a bad optical cable which caused no video when trying to capture.Counter intuitive so it took a while to figuire out. I am using Vista32 BTW.
post #276 of 3862 Old 09-29-2008, 08:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by kemac View Post

I have used both TME and rctvcap with success. The only problem I had was when using the spdif audio input I had a bad optical cable which caused no video when trying to capture.Counter intuitive so it took a while to figuire out. I am using Vista32 BTW.

I'm not having any luck getting 5.1 out of rcTVCap, it works with the TME record program, but the rcTVCap always ends up being AC3 2.0 ...

Ok, now I'm getting 5.1 out of rcTVCap, I think it was some kind of Vista cache on the rctvcap.grf file. I changed the setting in the grf to SPDIF and then tried again and it's now doing 5.1. This is strange, my biggest problem is that I don't seem to be able to use the analog for my pass through, my TV doesn't have an optical in, so now I don't have audio on my pass through I figured this would happen....
post #277 of 3862 Old 09-29-2008, 08:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Something I just noticed, and I'm never for sure what reverts the Simple GOP settings back and forth, but I was pretty sure that turning the unit off and then on, would reset the Simple GOP settings, it didn't when I powered the box off and on. Can anyone confirm that this is or isn't happening, are the GOP settings now staying put?
post #278 of 3862 Old 09-29-2008, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebkell View Post

I'm not having any luck getting 5.1 out of rcTVCap, it works with the TME record program, but the rcTVCap always ends up being AC3 2.0 ...

Ok, now I'm getting 5.1 out of rcTVCap, I think it was some kind of Vista cache on the rctvcap.grf file. I changed the setting in the grf to SPDIF and then tried again and it's now doing 5.1. This is strange, my biggest problem is that I don't seem to be able to use the analog for my pass through, my TV doesn't have an optical in, so now I don't have audio on my pass through I figured this would happen....

Hmmm... can't you just take the stereo input that was feeding the 1212 before, and plug that into your TV?
post #279 of 3862 Old 09-29-2008, 09:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_tom View Post

Hmmm... can't you just take the stereo input that was feeding the 1212 before, and plug that into your TV?

Maybe I can, I was probably hung up on the delay when viewing on the PC, the pass thru probably doesn't have that delay, I'll try it.

Edit: It worked. Thanks for pointing out the obvious
post #280 of 3862 Old 09-30-2008, 02:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

I have used both TME and rctvcap with success. ... I am using Vista32 BTW.

I've now got rcTVCap set up and working, and now I'm recording 5.1 audio just fine. I haven't gone back to TME to try it again... this is so much easier. (XP Pro SP3 here) Thanks to Rebkell for his KL Toolbox front end, too!
post #281 of 3862 Old 09-30-2008, 03:20 AM

I'll add more in my Linux htpc thread later but thought I'd chime in here also. After commenting out the driver firmware version check and enabling spdif input by loading the hdpvr module with...

Code:
modprobe hdpvr default_audio_input=2
...I get a nice, playable .ts file with 5.1 audio. Audio and video are in perfect sync.

EDIT:

Oh, and I guess I can be added to vladd's list of "alternative" software users.

2nd EDIT:

I haven't been able to get more than 30 minutes of video with the 5.1 firmware yet though.

Time is what keeps everything from happening all at once.
post #282 of 3862 Old 09-30-2008, 03:55 AM

Trying to understand the 5.1 setup.

Does the 5.1 use the existing USB connection? Or do I need to run an optical audio cable from the HDPVR to my PC?

I currently have an optical cable between my STB and the HDPVR but I'm not getting audio to my PC.

Thanks!
post #283 of 3862 Old 09-30-2008, 04:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skaman View Post

Trying to understand the 5.1 setup.

Does the 5.1 use the existing USB connection?

Yes.

Quote:

Or do I need to run an optical audio cable from the HDPVR to my PC?

I tried that with an HT Omega, but couldn't get anymore than 2 channel sound.

Quote:

I currently have an optical cable between my STB and the HDPVR but I'm not getting audio to my PC.

I had to set my STB to output both Dolby Digital and PCM audio, and enable SPDIF input in the software.

Time is what keeps everything from happening all at once.
post #284 of 3862 Old 09-30-2008, 05:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Seems to be working fine here, I recorded Almost Famous last night, checked it this morning, I haven't watched it all, but I've skipped all over the movie and it's 5.1 and everything is synced up. The driver seems to be working a-ok here. I started a couple of minutes early and you can see the audio change from 2.0 to 5.1 when the movie starts and revert back to 2.0 when the movie ends. It looks good.

Vista Premium(32 bit) using Directv HR20-100.
post #285 of 3862 Old 09-30-2008, 06:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Something I just noticed, and I'm never for sure what reverts the Simple GOP settings back and forth, but I was pretty sure that turning the unit off and then on, would reset the Simple GOP settings, it didn't when I powered the box off and on. Can anyone confirm that this is or isn't happening, are the GOP settings now staying put?

I have not had seen the GOP settings change with the new driver. I am seeing the same behavior you are.
post #286 of 3862 Old 09-30-2008, 10:19 AM

Can you choose between 5.1 or RCA stereo with the new driver or are you forced to use 5.1 with the 5.1 driver? And does the unit not work with the TME recorder or does it not play with the Total Media player?
post #287 of 3862 Old 09-30-2008, 10:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanson View Post

Can you choose between 5.1 or RCA stereo with the new driver or are you forced to use 5.1 with the 5.1 driver? And does the unit not work with the TME recorder or does it not play with the Total Media player?

You can choose audio input in TME recorder, the recorder/playback works fine you just can burn a disk using TME with 5.1 yet.
post #288 of 3862 Old 09-30-2008, 11:10 AM
E39

Quote:

For me, it seems that when I rebooted my PC the GOP settings reverted back to No IDR. My HD PVR has never been power cycled. I've emailed Haup a number of times asking about this, but they didn't reply once.

I'm looking forward to trying the new drivers. Hopefully this setting will stick now.
post #289 of 3862 Old 09-30-2008, 11:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 64
hi all, this new 5.1 upgrade sounds exciting. Has anyone been able to burn a avchd (blu ray compatible disc) using the new 5.1 driver with Total Media extreme?

thanks
post #290 of 3862 Old 09-30-2008, 11:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:

You can choose audio input in TME recorder, the recorder/playback works fine you just can burn a disk using TME with 5.1 yet.

Never mind, kemac has answered my question. perhaps there is another software I can use to burn a disc in 5.1?????????????????
post #291 of 3862 Old 09-30-2008, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARogan View Post

FYI, this was posted in the other HD PVR thread but I didn't see it mentioned here:

Beta 5.1 audio drivers:
http://www.shspvr.com/smf/index.php?topic=11718.0

FWIW, I happened to notice today that a file that appears to be the same driver is now available on the Beta tab of the Hauppauge HDPVR support page. So I guess SHS wasn't breaking any NDA by posting it a few hours earlier.

Also, the blurb there says "In addition, this version of HD PVR software supports new features such as: record to M2TS for playback on the Sony PS3,..."; sounds interesting, I wonder how to get it to do that?

Edit: nothing other than change the file extension, evidently - making it .m2t instead of .ts results in a file that plays directly (streaming from tversity); this is really cool, saving me about 20 minutes of reformatting per 120 minutes of capture!
post #292 of 3862 Old 09-30-2008, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EzInKy View Post

Yes.

I tried that with an HT Omega, but couldn't get anymore than 2 channel sound.

I had to set my STB to output both Dolby Digital and PCM audio, and enable SPDIF input in the software.

Thanks! I got it working. Now on to some serious testing.
post #293 of 3862 Old 09-30-2008, 05:06 PM

For those of you with the new driver - how does editing out commercials work with the list of compatible programs? What program would you recommend that would be the simplest to use for just cutting out commercials?
post #294 of 3862 Old 09-30-2008, 08:34 PM
AVS Special Member

My initial testing with the new driver is good. Using plain XP Pro SP3 32bit. I'm able to capture with AC3/5.1 audio just fine using TME. I posted some more detailed results in the other thread. Looking forward to being able to make 5.1 AVCHD discs for when I get a PS3

I haven't tried with my DVHS tapes yet, but using the Motorola DCT3416, it worked fine. What a fantastic coeincidence, because a new version of firmware pushed out by Comcast last night crippled the firewire port on the DVR, so now I can't capture to my PC(there is a workaround but it's a pain).
post #295 of 3862 Old 09-30-2008, 11:18 PM

Just installed the drivers and did a short (5 minute or so ) test capture of a concert with 5.1 sound.

I was able to play the captured .ts file as-is unaltered on my PS3 using the tversity media server. The sound and picture were great and perfectly in sync. No glitches or pauses. I was able to scan forward and back in the file with no problem.

I also burned the .ts directly to a DVD and was able to play it there as well. And yes - the left and right channels (both front and rear) are in the proper place now

I'll capture the whole concert and give that a try tomorrow. It's nice to finally be able to play files on the PS3 as is.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(2003 - 2011)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Est. 2011
post #296 of 3862 Old 10-01-2008, 12:44 AM

Liked: 14
rcTVCap 1.02 released with source code.
- I've updated the post. Check around the rcTVCap section and near the end.
- The big new feature is on the fly quality settings thanks to some code from the_tom.
- I'm quite happy with these 5.1 beta drivers. They seem to work fine for me.
post #297 of 3862 Old 10-01-2008, 03:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Ebay Live search cashback just jumped back up to 30% today...finally scored one of these for $239.70 - $71.91 = $167.79. If youve been waiting for a deal like me, nows the time .
post #298 of 3862 Old 10-01-2008, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_tom View Post

FWIW, I happened to notice today that a file that appears to be the same driver is now available on the Beta tab of the Hauppauge HDPVR support page. So I guess SHS wasn't breaking any NDA by posting it a few hours earlier.

Also, the blurb there says "In addition, this version of HD PVR software supports new features such as: record to M2TS for playback on the Sony PS3,..."; sounds interesting, I wonder how to get it to do that?

Hi

I am testing the HD PVR Dolby 5.1 support beta driver right now,
and would like to report back the results.

1. Dolby 5.1 sound works great with the new driver.

2. Cannot record output to M2TS format, still only as TS format, although the release notes states the following:

"In addition, this version of HD PVR software supports new features such as: record to M2TS for playback on the Sony PS3"

The picture quality is razor sharp with the default settings.

Fantastic product!
post #299 of 3862 Old 10-01-2008, 08:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I've suffered nothing but pain, woe, and hours of wasted time getting the HD-PVR to work with the new drivers. Smooth for everyone else?
post #300 of 3862 Old 10-01-2008, 09:23 AM

Newb here...as ak3883 mentioned in one of the threads, the TME audio information shows my capture as AC3 2 channel. Is there an easy way to verify that is has encoded the 5.1 audio?

I do not have a 5.1 setup on my computer, nor do I have a method to burn and test it or stream to my home theater for testing...yet.
Reply Home Theater Computers

Tags
Hauppauge 1212 Hd Pvr High Definition Personal Video Recorder

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page