Forum Jump: 

post #3001 of 3831 Old 04-25-2012, 04:03 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 21
You are welcome.
How are you planning on playing the captured material back?

If you are planning on using your computer, then you'll need some horsepower to do that. But for capturing, as long as it is decent your laptop should do it.

I capture to an external hard drive (ntfs), then play back on a cheaper Samsung Bluray player bdc5500. Works perfectly
If you are going to do a good bit of captures and watch on a tv, I highly rec. that player (cheap on ebay) or at least one similar. Only a few will play NTFS drives and I think other have a problem with the LG's and high bit rate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3002 of 3831 Old 04-25-2012, 08:17 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacofortacos View Post

You are welcome.
How are you planning on playing the captured material back?

If you are planning on using your computer, then you'll need some horsepower to do that. But for capturing, as long as it is decent your laptop should do it.

I capture to an external hard drive (ntfs), then play back on a cheaper Samsung Bluray player bdc5500. Works perfectly
If you are going to do a good bit of captures and watch on a tv, I highly rec. that player (cheap on ebay) or at least one similar. Only a few will play NTFS drives and I think other have a problem with the LG's and high bit rate.

Well.....i was thinking my PS3 ? If that would work. Thats what im using as bluray player. But really didnt think that far ahead lol. Just ordered the PVR so I guess ill find out soon enough.
post #3003 of 3831 Old 04-25-2012, 08:22 PM
Advanced Member

Will the PS3 play a file from an external hard drive? Or were you going to burn discs?

I know my bluray player will play a .mp4 file (actually .ts or .m2ts file if renamed to .mp4) from either the hard drive or just the file burned onto a disc. I don't even need to make a AVCHD disc, just burn the file to the disc- which is nice.
post #3004 of 3831 Old 04-25-2012, 09:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:

Will the PS3 play a file from an external hard drive? Or were you going to burn discs?
I know my bluray player will play a .mp4 file (actually .ts or .m2ts file if renamed to .mp4) from either the hard drive or just the file burned onto a disc. I don't even need to make a AVCHD disc, just burn the file to the disc- which is nice.

You can rename a .ts file to mp4 and the samsung 5500 will play it?
From usb even?
post #3005 of 3831 Old 04-26-2012, 08:45 PM
Advanced Member

Yep, I capture in .ts or .m2ts, then rename the file including changing the extension from .ts(or .m2ts) to .mp4.
This file will then play either via usb hard drive (I use externally powered usb drives, not sure if a non-powered drive will work) OR the newly named file burned onto a DVD.
post #3006 of 3831 Old 04-26-2012, 09:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Recently upgraded from a DirecTV HR22 to the new HR34 and was shocked to find that the HR34 has SPDI/F instead of TOSLINK. Looks like I'll have to buy a converter
post #3007 of 3831 Old 04-26-2012, 09:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

My PS/3 can play .ts files burned to disk and via networked media server but I'm not sure about an external hard drive. I've been capturing and editing my old Space Shuttle videotapes and burning them to Blu-Ray. I can fit approximately 12: 2-hour tapes on a BR in 5Mb/s variable format (average appears to be 2-2.5Mb/s).

The only downside is that the deinterlacing appears to be a bit off. Even the edges of still shots are a bit jagged. The HUGE plus is that my entire collection will probably take up 1/2 a shelf vs. the current 8 full shelves.

Be seeing you!
post #3008 of 3831 Old 04-27-2012, 03:14 PM
Advanced Member

Yeah that is lowering the quality a bit, I've tried 8-9 and it wasn't too bad when inputing a HD signal.

It would be nice if the ps3 could read it off of a usb drive - that would really reduce your shelf space
post #3009 of 3831 Old 04-27-2012, 08:10 PM

Quote:

Yeah that is lowering the quality a bit, I've tried 8-9 and it wasn't too bad when inputing a HD signal.

It would be nice if the ps3 could read it off of a usb drive - that would really reduce your shelf space

You guys are a bit ahead of me with the technology, but im sure ill figure it out. With a little help, of coarse ! Lol. The networking may be the answer for me. I have everything hardwired...including my desktop I built last year. More powerful than the laptop just too far away for the usb from pvr. So if my laptop can handle the capture ok, maybe ill be able to transfer the file to the desktop and play from there. But, to answer your other question.... Yes... I was thinking I would be burning discs for the most part. Also, my avr (pioneer 1021) has a usb input. Described for ipod/iphone/ipad. Maybe that could work from a drive? Cant wait for the pvr to get here so i can start experimenting.
post #3010 of 3831 Old 04-27-2012, 08:18 PM

Question..... I am seeing where HBO as well as a few other premium channels are having HDCP enforced with directv. Will this cause problems with the Hauppauge? Will there be programs that you cant record because of this?
post #3011 of 3831 Old 04-27-2012, 08:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 30
This shouldn't affect components, just the HDMI outputs.

Standard Definition Causes Lung Cancer, Heart Disease, Emphysema, And May Complicate Pregnancy
post #3012 of 3831 Old 04-27-2012, 10:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

For HD yes, but I'm dubbing from VHS. 5MB/s is more than enough for 300TVL material. VHS is less than 1/2 the resolution of DVD, which is 720x480.

Wikipedia: "In modern-day digital terminology, VHS is roughly equivalent to 333x480 pixels luma and 40x480 chroma resolutions (333x480 pixels=159,840 pixels or 0.16MP..."

Besides, I've already completed 6 BR's. That's approximately 120GB of data (they're not all completely full), and I'm less than halfway done with the project; which started out as 170 2-hour tapes. At a little over 1GB/hr, I've burned around 110 hours of video so far, after editing.

Be seeing you!
post #3013 of 3831 Old 04-28-2012, 06:20 AM
Advanced Member

RCD7210 are you going to capture with the laptop to the laptop hard drive or to an external hard drive?
If to an external drive (I would use a self powered usb drive, not a usb powered drive), then it would be easy to take that to the desktop.
post #3014 of 3831 Old 04-28-2012, 12:05 PM

Quote:

RCD7210 are you going to capture with the laptop to the laptop hard drive or to an external hard drive?
If to an external drive (I would use a self powered usb drive, not a usb powered drive), then it would be easy to take that to the desktop.

Cant say i understand. I have a a western digital external drive that may be self powered? In fact, i have a couple external enclosures i put my own drives into, too. They all have a power supply that plugs into them..... I guess that means they are self powered? Im also networked so maybe i could capture to the laptap and pull it up on the desktop/ burn. Based on the things you and a others mentioned, ill have a few processes to try out. I like the idea of using an external drive though. That way they could stay there no matter where im burning. Hopefully ill figure out how to play on my tv from there. Thanks for the help!
post #3015 of 3831 Old 04-28-2012, 02:09 PM
Advanced Member

Self powered would have it's own power supply (like your enclosures - which will work fine), smaller external drives are often powered via the USB cable.

The USB powered drives "may" work since most computers have enough USB power to power them - but often do not work with bluray players or my satellite box.

You will have fewer headaches IMO if you use an external usb drive vs. network.
Also try not to have anything else running in the back ground on the laptop - the laptop really doesn't do much since most if not all of the encoding is done in the 1212.
post #3016 of 3831 Old 04-28-2012, 03:39 PM

Quote:

Self powered would have it's own power supply (like your enclosures - which will work fine), smaller external drives are often powered via the USB cable.

The USB powered drives "may" work since most computers have enough USB power to power them - but often do not work with bluray players or my satellite box.

You will have fewer headaches IMO if you use an external usb drive vs. network.
Also try not to have anything else running in the back ground on the laptop - the laptop really doesn't do much since most if not all of the encoding is done in the 1212.

Nice.... Thanks! I an anxious to give it a try. Someone mentioned that the ps3 will play the file through usb. Ill try that first from external hd.
post #3017 of 3831 Old 04-28-2012, 10:25 PM
Advanced Member

"Hopefully ill figure out how to play on my tv from there. Thanks for the help!"

There are several ways to play from the usb drive. Try to decide how you want to do that before you capture though, reason is, depending on what you use to play back the material on will determine how you format your hard drive.

There are media players and bluray players that will easily play back the material - game systems like your ps3 may (I don't know).

I have used a Western Digital Live media player - worked well enough, but the picture was nicer on the bluray player.
I currently use a Samsung BD-C5500 bluray player (dirt cheap used on ebay) which plays the files back flawlessly - AND can read a NTFS formatted drive which I love.
You only have 1 big file vs. several small files like when using fat32.
post #3018 of 3831 Old 04-29-2012, 10:46 AM

So I have the Hauppauge HDPVR and I've become quite frustrated.

I've captured videos and converted using the HDPVR Capture for Mac program. Once they are mp4 I opened in Streamclip and edited a bit.

I tried using other software to convert to files for Apple TV/iPad, but when I try conversion the audio become out of sync.

So frustrating because I want to be able to use the videos other places and I no longer have the source files.

Any clues on what I can do to fix this or how I can export to AppleTV or iPad format without messing up the sync.
post #3019 of 3831 Old 04-30-2012, 09:20 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomamon View Post

So I have the Hauppauge HDPVR and I've become quite frustrated.
I've captured videos and converted using the HDPVR Capture for Mac program. Once they are mp4 I opened in Streamclip and edited a bit.
I tried using other software to convert to files for Apple TV/iPad, but when I try conversion the audio become out of sync.
So frustrating because I want to be able to use the videos other places and I no longer have the source files.
Any clues on what I can do to fix this or how I can export to AppleTV or iPad format without messing up the sync.

Have you tried capturing in the mp4 format?
You can change it in the bottom left hand corner of the capture module.
post #3020 of 3831 Old 04-30-2012, 01:54 PM
Advanced Member

If you capture in .mp4 the audio will be out of sync - at least with a PC.
post #3021 of 3831 Old 04-30-2012, 05:02 PM

What if you capture in .ts but then convert the file to .mp4, will the audio still be out of sync?
post #3022 of 3831 Old 04-30-2012, 05:50 PM

To PACOFORTACOS
Just an update. Got my PVR today. Tried to run both digital audio outputs from my directv. Coax to my AVR, and the optical to the PVR. AVR is working fine with the coax, but when i captured, video worked fine, but no audio. Im guessing that the directv box cannot output both digital audio outs at the same time. Not sure yet though. Long day and im beat. So i will check a few things again tomorrow to be sure. Might just have to split the optical out from Directv and that should work. Also, I saw something about a PS3 media share? I know you said PS3 isnt part of your setup, but im thinking i may try that and see if i can still save .ts files to a drive and then locate/play with PS3. I will keep you posted! Thanks!
post #3023 of 3831 Old 04-30-2012, 06:24 PM
Advanced Member

RCD7210, no problem, keep us up to date. You have to select the correct audio connection in the software, and if you select spdif (optical) you will not get a picture if the 1212 does not see the optical signal. Not a problem, just a heads up.
Also, it can record in 5.1 BUT cannot record a DTS signal or HD audio signal, so it should capture the 5.1 audio from your directtv via optical.

cyberfly502, I haven't recoded that I know of. I capture in either .ts or .m2ts and just rename the extension to .mp4 - and then play back on my Samsung bluray player.
SO why do you need .mp4 again (I missed it if you said). To play back ????? xbox???

The .mp4 captures that I did -every one of them - had the audio out of sync. Now normally if the audio is ahead of the video that isn't a problem as many AVR's will adjust that. BUT the problem with my .mp4 captures puts the video ahead of the audio and modifying the file is the only way to fix that.

MY .ts captures with just the extension changed (renamed) from .ts to .mp4 plays perfectly and the video and audio are in sync or at worst the audio is slightly ahead of the video - on HD - which is normal even on discs..
post #3024 of 3831 Old 04-30-2012, 06:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes, my PS/3 will read media that is shared from a computer a number of ways. In Media Player 12 (I think 11 was different), I found I just had to check the "Automatically allow devices to play my media" under "Streaming", although I also store all of my pictures, music, videos and other media in shared folders.

I don't much care for the PS/3's display of media files - there's no sort function nor does it have the ability to play only "marked" media, random play or play a specific list.

It does sound good, though.

Be seeing you!
post #3025 of 3831 Old 05-01-2012, 04:20 AM

Quote:

RCD7210, no problem, keep us up to date. You have to select the correct audio connection in the software, and if you select spdif (optical) you will not get a picture if the 1212 does not see the optical signal. Not a problem, just a heads up.
Also, it can record in 5.1 BUT cannot record a DTS signal or HD audio signal, so it should capture the 5.1 audio from your directtv via optical.

cyberfly502, I haven't recoded that I know of. I capture in either .ts or .m2ts and just rename the extension to .mp4 - and then play back on my Samsung bluray player.
SO why do you need .mp4 again (I missed it if you said). To play back ????? xbox???

The .mp4 captures that I did -every one of them - had the audio out of sync. Now normally if the audio is ahead of the video that isn't a problem as many AVR's will adjust that. BUT the problem with my .mp4 captures puts the video ahead of the audio and modifying the file is the only way to fix that.

MY .ts captures with just the extension changed (renamed) from .ts to .mp4 plays perfectly and the video and audio are in sync or at worst the audio is slightly ahead of the video - on HD - which is normal even on discs..

Thanks again...... I remember seeing where i could select 2 channel or 5.1, but dont know if i selected optical specifically. Unless its assumed when i select 5.1. Have to try again when i get home. But, i did have video. On another forum for Dtv boxes, "Veryoldschool" said i should have the option of both optical and coax outputting. So again, ill recheck my setup.
post #3026 of 3831 Old 05-01-2012, 08:01 AM

Ok.....i DID NOT have optical selected. Just did a quick capture test. Video and 5.1 audio. Sweet ! Lol. I do seem to have a problem with it
" skipping" a bit. Intermittent video and audio. Captured at 9 only because it defaulted to that. Maybe laptap isnt powerful enough? Ill try some more later. One thing that was a pleasant surprise. Copied the test file to a usb stick, plugged it directly into my LG tv, played exactly as it did on laptop. After i figure out my skipping issue ( maybe lower the bitrate?) ill see if i can store files on an external HD and then plug that drive into my LG directly. Seems to me that would be a nice simple process. Opinions?
post #3027 of 3831 Old 05-01-2012, 11:34 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCD7210 View Post

Ok.....i DID NOT have optical selected. Just did a quick capture test. Video and 5.1 audio. Sweet ! Lol. I do seem to have a problem with it
" skipping" a bit. Intermittent video and audio. Captured at 9 only because it defaulted to that. Maybe laptap isnt powerful enough? Ill try some more later. One thing that was a pleasant surprise. Copied the test file to a usb stick, plugged it directly into my LG tv, played exactly as it did on laptop. After i figure out my skipping issue ( maybe lower the bitrate?) ill see if i can store files on an external HD and then plug that drive into my LG directly. Seems to me that would be a nice simple process. Opinions?

The last software upgrades DirecTV sent out for their DVRs causes some video and audio skipping. I never had any skipping problems with them until the last 2 software upgrades.
post #3028 of 3831 Old 05-01-2012, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpratt View Post

The last software upgrades DirecTV sent out for their DVRs causes some video and audio skipping. I never had any skipping problems with them until the last 2 software upgrades.

Do you mean skipping while recording on the PVR? Or just skipping ing general. I have no issues while viewing on TV. Its just while previewing on laptop while capturing, it skipped a few times. Hoped it was just on the preview panel at first, but its recorded/captured that way.
post #3029 of 3831 Old 05-01-2012, 03:25 PM
Advanced Member

Try checking hardware accelleration on. If that doesn't do it, maybe check preview off.
Also shut off any processes running in the background, ie. internet connection, anti virus, etc.

Might be just not enough horsepower with your laptop OR a bad usb cable connection or an intermittent optical connection if using that OR the direct tv box LOL

You are using Vista right?? Make sure you shut off the bit defender program.

My laptop has an i7 quad in it, but I have use one with an i3 for capture - both win7.
post #3030 of 3831 Old 05-01-2012, 03:26 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCD7210 View Post

Do you mean skipping while recording on the PVR? Or just skipping ing general. I have no issues while viewing on TV. Its just while previewing on laptop while capturing, it skipped a few times. Hoped it was just on the preview panel at first, but its recorded/captured that way.

I get some audio and video skipping on both of my HR21-700s while viewing since the last 2 software upgrades. It also show up when I record to my Hauppauge 1212.
Reply Home Theater Computers

Tags
Hauppauge 1212 Hd Pvr High Definition Personal Video Recorder

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page