post #3811 of 3831 Old 03-26-2014, 04:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikknightt View Post

I saw on the FAQ that usb captures are saved in mp4 format in 2gb chunks. Are you saying PC .ts files are limited to 4gb chunks?
Did the USB drive you tried have a separate power supply? It wasn't a WD passport or anything like that was it?
Sorry, I wrote that from memory, and forgot the file size. The files were in 2 GB chunks. And yes, on my PC. I got the Rocket before Christmas and returned it a few days later. Perhaps they've improved the applications since then.
My USB HDD has its own power supply and usually works with everything. I was surprised it didn't work with the Rocket.
Quote:

What are you using with the 1212? TME? Is this after using the HC app?
When I tried using HC and then went back to TME I had an issue with trying to adjust the settings also. I would try & open 'format settings' and it refused to open.
I re-installed the 1.7.30059.1 driver and everything was back to normal.. (just the driver not TME)
I was using TME. HC never quite worked properly for me. Thanks for the tip:)... I'll reinstall the driver
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3812 of 3831 Old 03-26-2014, 04:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I never was able to find a solution to my problem. I just have to let TMPGEnc Authoring Works recode the files. If. I do the quick fix on the files in VideoReDo it finds errors on every frame so I assume the previous post about the HDPVRs not recording frames correctly is one of the reasons. Since they all have aac audio they're going to have to be re-encoded for BDMV anyway. Given the high bitrate I'm using the final product still turns out fine.

I did test it and the HD PVR Rocket does NOT record 5.1 even from HDMI. I'd read that somewhere but the post must have been incorrect. It only does AAC audio.

There is no file size limitation on the HD PVR Rocket when capturing to your PC. I've successfully captured 30 plus GB files from it with no problems. I use the Hauupauge Capture program for all my captures with no issues. The limitation does exist when recording directly to the unit, however.

Whether the unit can record to an external drive (as opposed to a USB Flash Drive) is up in the air. Some reviews say it will, some say it won't. It must be a POWERED hard drive though. If you're trying to use a WD Passport or something powered by USB it won't work.

All in all I'm very pleased with the unit. I don't really care about surround sound vs. stereo audo, so that is a non-issue for me.
post #3813 of 3831 Old 03-26-2014, 04:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Interesting about the file size. Perhaps I gave up on the unit too quickly.
post #3814 of 3831 Old 04-13-2014, 01:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpalmer2k View Post

Now I capture using the Hauppauge Capture Program to .ts format at the maximum 18mbps rate the HD PVR Rocket offers.
Total Media Studio refuses to accept the files the HD PVR Rocket produces though, so it is out. They also "hang" in VideoRedo, You can edit them, but when you try to save the changes it will just freeze at a random point during the job. .

I recently bought a PVR2 1512. Capturing via HDMI @ 14mbps the files had the same issues in VideoRedo you described..
I may have found a solution. (#maybe) I've only had a chance to test it once..

Using TSmuxer 2.6.11 - I remuxed the file using the default settings. I think the key is the option 'Insert SEI and VUI data if absent'.
There might be drop outs in the stream when recording via HDMI. I assume this option rebuilds the time code in the file.

An excerpt from wikipedia: Supplemental enhancement information (SEI) and video usability information (VUI), which are extra information that can be inserted into the bitstream to enhance the use of the video for a wide variety of purposes.

Before using TSmuxer the 120min file reported as 59min in Windows Explorer.. Afterwards, The properties of the file were correct. VideoRedo could also edit...
I downloaded TSmuxer here: http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=168539

You can also try TSdoctor to fix errors in HD files. It didn't fix this issue but it did fix & remove some data.. (It didn't fix the timecode reporting & VRD still crashed while editing the file.)
It can be found here: http://www.cypheros.de/tsdoctor_e.html
post #3815 of 3831 Old 04-27-2014, 04:27 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hey V7Goose, check your PMs.  I had a question about your responses to this thread, maybe you might be able to help figure something out.

Thanks

Chris

post #3816 of 3831 Old 05-28-2014, 01:18 PM

Liked: 10

I've just purchased a 1212 and have spent a number of hours going through this forum.  It has been quite informative, but at this point, perhaps because of some information overload, I need some advice:

1) What software should I use to capture the video?  Is the included software sufficient or should I obtain 3rd party applications (such as the various TMPgenc's)?

2) Based on all of the discussions, it appears relatively painless to capture previously recorded programs off of my DVR.  I'm switching to FIOS soon, so I want to record the programs currently on my Cablevision DVR and will probably want to record off of the FIOS DVR as well.  Am I correct that it's pretty much the same process whether or not I use the Cablevision or FIOS DVRs?  I will be using the component and optical audio connections.

3) Is the process the same for capturing old Hi8 camcorder recordings?  I still have the original camcorder, so playing the tapes will not be an issue.  Is it better to start and stop recording periodically in order to limit the size of the video files?

4) I would like to capture only the audio tracks of some Blu-Rays in 5.1, primarily music sequences (title music from North by Northwest, for example).  I've tried using the ripping method, but between the encryptions and the difficulty in identifying the location of the desired tracks, I've decide to take another route.  Since I still have some Blu-Ray players with component outputs (Panasonic DMP-BD80 or an Oppo 93), I think I should be able to this.  I realize that the recording would be in real time.  After recording, I'd use Handbrake or something similar to strip out the audio track and then recode it to FLAC.  I have the following questions:

a) If the Blu-Ray audio is not Dolby Digital (eg. DTS Master Audio), will I still be able to record the surround track with the 1212, or am I limited to using the 2 channel analog outputs?  If that is the case, would I simply be better off skipping the 1212 process entirely and using my SoundBlaster external card to digitize the music as I do with my vinyl records?

b) Would using the optical output from my receiver instead of the Blu-Ray player make a difference?

c) I should have no video/audio sync issues since I'm stripping out the audio anyway - is this correct?

d) I don't need to record the whole movie - just the desired sections.  Am I correct that there should be no issues starting and stopping the recording in the middle of the movie?  This is kind of like making old-style mix tapes from lps.

Thanks in advance for your help!

post #3817 of 3831 Old 05-28-2014, 04:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CayugaLake View Post

I've just purchased a 1212 and have spent a number of hours going through this forum.  It has been quite informative, but at this point, perhaps because of some information overload, I need some advice:
1) What software should I use to capture the video? 
2) Based on all of the discussions, it appears relatively painless to capture previously recorded programs off of my DVR.  I'm switching to FIOS soon, so I want to record the programs currently on my Cablevision DVR and will probably want to record off of the FIOS DVR as well.  Am I correct that it's pretty much the same process whether or not I use the Cablevision or FIOS DVRs?  I will be using the component and optical audio connections.
3) Is the process the same for capturing old Hi8 camcorder recordings?  I still have the original camcorder, so playing the tapes will not be an issue.  Is it better to start and stop recording periodically in order to limit the size of the video files?

I'll start with a few of these..
1. I use the included TME software with my 1212. (total media extreme) It works great.
2. Yes, Same process.
3. The Hi8 will probably need to be connected via composite or svideo cables depending whats available on the camera.

On the BD audio, TsMuxer is a free app to demux the audio with..
post #3818 of 3831 Old 05-29-2014, 08:09 AM

Liked: 11
1. I've used both TME software and the newer Hauppauge Capture software. Both are free but I prefer the Hauppauge Capture especially for camcorder capture.

3. If your camcorder provides software for capture to a PC, you might give that a try also.
post #3819 of 3831 Old 05-29-2014, 11:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by CayugaLake View Post

a) If the Blu-Ray audio is not Dolby Digital (eg. DTS Master Audio), will I still be able to record the surround track with the 1212, or am I limited to using the 2 channel analog outputs?  If that is the case, would I simply be better off skipping the 1212 process entirely and using my SoundBlaster external card to digitize the music as I do with my vinyl records?

Almost all Blu-Rays are DTS. Assuming you can get around the encrypted blu-ray, DTS (lossless or lossy) will be a problem since the 1212 doesn't support DTS. A way around this is to use PC software such as MPC-HC that uses FFdshow and play the BR on the PC. FFDShow can be configured to convert (on the fly) DTS to AC3 and the BR will be played back in AC3.
ClearToLand likes this.
post #3820 of 3831 Old 05-29-2014, 06:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimLely View Post

Almost all Blu-Rays are DTS. Assuming you can get around the encrypted blu-ray, DTS (lossless or lossy) will be a problem since the 1212 doesn't support DTS. A way around this is to use PC software such as MPC-HC that uses FFdshow and play the BR on the PC. FFDShow can be configured to convert (on the fly) DTS to AC3 and the BR will be played back in AC3.

Whoops! No hdmi input on 1212 so never mind.
post #3821 of 3831 Old 05-30-2014, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
So I've been having a lot of trouble with my 1212 lately. I've been archiving some stuff from VHS and I've used both composite and S-Video and the machine doesn't seem to know what to do with the signal. Sometimes it is out of sync and skips around. I've fast forwarded or rewinded on the VCR and it won't show the tape being rewinded or forwarded for about 5-10 seconds. There's clearly a lag. Has anyone else found this?

Oddly enough, if I send the VHS signal through a VHS recorder that I have (with component output), it works fine. There's no lag and it seems to accept everything perfectly.

Any advice, other than setting it up so that the better VCR runs through the recorder?

"I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built, and it is terrific." - Michael Caine, on Jaws the Revenge
post #3822 of 3831 Old 05-30-2014, 12:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalfreakNYC View Post

So I've been having a lot of trouble with my 1212 lately. I've been archiving some stuff from VHS and I've used both composite and S-Video and the machine doesn't seem to know what to do with the signal. Sometimes it is out of sync and skips around. I've fast forwarded or rewinded on the VCR and it won't show the tape being rewinded or forwarded for about 5-10 seconds. There's clearly a lag. Has anyone else found this?
Oddly enough, if I send the VHS signal through a VHS recorder that I have (with component output), it works fine. There's no lag and it seems to accept everything perfectly.
Any advice, other than setting it up so that the better VCR runs through the recorder?

I've seen this issue the only time I tried capturing directly from a Hi8 camera thru composite..
Sorry, I have no solutions. But I have seen what you're talking about..
post #3823 of 3831 Old 05-30-2014, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I've seen this issue the only time I tried capturing directly from a Hi8 camera thru composite..
Sorry, I have no solutions. But I have seen what you're talking about..

So we know I'm not crazy. There is probably nothing I can do about it, though. frown.gif

"I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built, and it is terrific." - Michael Caine, on Jaws the Revenge
post #3824 of 3831 Old 06-01-2014, 08:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 103

It could be that the secondary machine is acting as a time base corrector, a good thing to use with older analog tape formats, so if it works that way I'd say continue to do it that way!

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there is no concept of "accounting for taste". We don't "pick" the level of bass any more than we get to pick the ending of a play. High fidelity is an unbiased, neutral, exact copy (or "reproduction") of the original source's tonal balance, timing, dynamics, etc..

post #3825 of 3831 Old 06-12-2014, 04:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Now I'm having trouble capturing my HD source. I'm literally walking away from my machine while it's recording and I'll get stuttering both on the screen and in the recording. I noticed that it was only happening on my laptop and not on my desktop PC but it's a huge pain to hook it up to that all the time. Does anyone have any suggestions for troubleshooting? Anyone have a problem like this before?

post #3826 of 3831 Old 06-12-2014, 04:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalfreakNYC View Post
Now I'm having trouble capturing my HD source. I'm literally walking away from my machine while it's recording and I'll get stuttering both on the screen and in the recording. I noticed that it was only happening on my laptop and not on my desktop PC but it's a huge pain to hook it up to that all the time. Does anyone have any suggestions for troubleshooting? Anyone have a problem like this before?
Is this after updating to the latest version of HC? What software do you use for playback on the laptop? Does it stutter during playback on the Desktop too?

Last edited by nikknightt; 06-12-2014 at 04:25 PM.
post #3827 of 3831 Old 06-12-2014, 04:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikknightt View Post
Is this after updating to the latest version of HC? What software do you use for playback?
No. Unfortunately this has been happening the last 3-6 months, I think.
It's not a playback problem. It's a problem with the file itself. I can see the stuttering while it's capturing and then I check it afterwards and it's a choppy mess.

I also check with mpeg2repair and it shows the errors.

post #3828 of 3831 Old 07-01-2014, 09:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
No. Unfortunately this has been happening the last 3-6 months, I think.
It's not a playback problem. It's a problem with the file itself. I can see the stuttering while it's capturing and then I check it afterwards and it's a choppy mess.

I also check with mpeg2repair and it shows the errors.
I've started getting similar problems for the past few days. We're in the middle of a heat spell and I'm thinking that my unit is overheating.

On a related topic, I've a question: is it worth getting a HD PVR 2 model 1512? Does it record better, does it not overheat as easily.
post #3829 of 3831 Old 07-02-2014, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyrax View Post
I've started getting similar problems for the past few days. We're in the middle of a heat spell and I'm thinking that my unit is overheating.

On a related topic, I've a question: is it worth getting a HD PVR 2 model 1512? Does it record better, does it not overheat as easily.
The 1512 doesn't have AC3 encoding, if that matters to you. It just passes it through, provided that the original is in AC3.

Also, I think I solved the problem with mine. I turned off hardware acceleration and that seems to have solved it.

post #3830 of 3831 Old 07-02-2014, 12:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
The 1512 doesn't have AC3 encoding, if that matters to you. It just passes it through, provided that the original is in AC3.
Also, I think I solved the problem with mine. I turned off hardware acceleration and that seems to have solved it.
Turn off Acceleration in the preview window?
post #3831 of 3831 Old 07-02-2014, 05:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikknightt View Post
Turn off Acceleration in the preview window?
Yup. Unclicked "use hardware acceleration"

Reply Home Theater Computers

Tags
Hauppauge 1212 Hd Pvr High Definition Personal Video Recorder

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page