post #3841 of 3862 Old 08-08-2014, 10:38 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by slimoli View Post
The plug on my unit is the 3.5mm. It is possible but not likely yours is different. You need any adapter that outputs 5V and 2A , the one I mentioned works on my device.
Quote:
Originally Posted by m. zillch View Post
Why do you need a new one anyway? Is your's dead or missing?
They aren't the kind of things that get "funky" and only partly work. Your main unit powers up or it doesn't.
I'm getting 'device has been disconnected' errors quite frequently.
For $5 I wanted a new one!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3842 of 3862 Old 08-08-2014, 10:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikknightt View Post
When the HDPVR loses input power the blue light goes off immediately and you can see that visually. Do you ever see it extinguish? Having a power adapter which works most of the time but occasionally, without any motion occurring with wires or plugged jacks, it simply stops sending juice is super duper rare.

Even if it is a "lose electricity for a brief moment" problem it is more likely to be a bad solder joint ["cold" or possibly cracked] or a loose connection. You might want to clean the tip with alcohol and every time you insert it, it is good to give it a rotary twist as you insert it to scrape clean the inner contacts.

The fact that the jack panel on this thing flexes as you insert connection shows the jacks are mounted straight to the circuit board, making the whole design easy to break or crack. You might want to open yours to inspect for cracks.

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there is no concept of "accounting for taste". We don't "pick" the level of bass any more than we get to pick the ending of a play. High fidelity is an unbiased, neutral, exact copy (or "reproduction") of the original source's tonal balance, timing, dynamics, etc..

post #3843 of 3862 Old 08-09-2014, 10:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:

This suggests a USB connection problem, nothing to do with the power supply.

Standard Definition Causes Lung Cancer, Heart Disease, Emphysema, And May Complicate Pregnancy
post #3844 of 3862 Old 08-09-2014, 10:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebkell View Post

Mine did show a power light and it looked fine, but the pass through didn't work and the PC didn't see it anymore. A new power supply remedied it all. It's definitely worth trying another power supply, it definitely fixed mine. I do believe the Power supplies with the older units are starting to die a slow death.
Others have reported this issue - And the fix was a Pwr Supply.
What I need to know is the size of the plug. 3.5 or 5.5mm ?
(SHS suggested a 5.5mm earlier in the thread)
But everyone wants to tell me I'm wrong and I still don't have an answer.
post #3845 of 3862 Old 08-09-2014, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
What I need to know is the size of the plug. 3.5 or 5.5mm ?
(SHS suggested a 5.5mm earlier in the thread)
But everyone wants to tell me I'm wrong and I still don't have an answer.

I have already told you, my plug is 3.5mm. You can take your 1212 to a Radio Shack and try different plugs.

Standard Definition Causes Lung Cancer, Heart Disease, Emphysema, And May Complicate Pregnancy
post #3846 of 3862 Old 08-09-2014, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Others? Plural? Is it possible he was imagining things and his intermittent problem actually was just temporarily better?

If he later discovered he was in error, and the exact same problem resurfaced days/weeks after his post, do you really think he would have returned to admit to all, "I feel so foolish, I must have been imagining things and it was all in my head. The new power supply didn't actually fix the problem which I, uh, said "definitely" fixed the problem. Sorry everyone, I feel bad if I mislead anyone with my error"

Or would he have kept his mouth shut?

Also do we really know his "cure" was the new power supply and not simply that he essentially reconnected a loose connection when he yanked out the old power supply and reconnected the new one?

The bad USB connection theory sounds more likely to me too. And again it could be the cord, or it could be the quality of how well the connection is seated, or it could be a bad solder point inside the units, at either end.

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there is no concept of "accounting for taste". We don't "pick" the level of bass any more than we get to pick the ending of a play. High fidelity is an unbiased, neutral, exact copy (or "reproduction") of the original source's tonal balance, timing, dynamics, etc..

Last edited by m. zillch; 08-09-2014 at 12:58 PM.
post #3847 of 3862 Old 08-09-2014, 01:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by m. zillch View Post
Others? Plural? Is it possible he was imagining things and his intermittent problem actually was just temporarily better?

If he later discovered he was in error, and the exact same problem resurfaced days weeks after his post, do you really think he would have returned to admit to all, "I feel so foolish, I must have been imagining things and it was all in my head. The new power supply didn't actually fix the problem which I, uh, said "definitely" fixed the problem. Sorry everyone, I feel bad if I mislead anyone with my error"

Or would he have kept his mouth shut?

Also do we really know his "cure" was the new power supply and not simply that he essentially reconnected a loose connection when he yanked out the old power supply and reconnected the new one?

The bad USB connection theory sounds more likely to me too. And again it could be the cord, or it could be the quality of how well the connection is seated, or it could be a bad solder point inside the units, at either end.
The Power Supply fixed the problem, why would I come back, the reason I would come back was if it didn't work. Don't be so in love with your mind to shut out the possibility. I never touched the USB or the pass through cables. I changed out the power supply and it worked and has worked since. I don't use it a lot anymore, but it was working fine when I last used it, a year or so later after I changed out the power supply. I think I actually used an old power supply from an old Netgear router that was laying around the house.
nikknightt likes this.
post #3848 of 3862 Old 08-09-2014, 01:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
The Power Supply fixed the problem, why would I come back, the reason I would come back was if it didn't work. Don't be so in love with your mind to shut out the possibility. I never touched the USB or the pass through cables. I changed out the power supply and it worked and has worked since. I don't use it a lot anymore, but it was working fine when I last used it, a year or so later after I changed out the power supply. I think I actually used an old power supply from an old Netgear router that was laying around the house.

What evidence do you have it wasn't a loose connection which you remedied simply by pulling it out and reinstalling it, with any old power supply, it wouldn't matter which?

How do you know your problem wasn't intermittent and simply coincidentally "cured itself" at the same time you happened to swap power supplies?

When you did swap the power supply, did you then test the bad one's output with a multimeter? Instead of the correct 5VDC 2Amp output what was the faulty one putting out which mysteriously seems to continue to illuminate the blue power indicator on the front of the HDPVR, yet makes the unit balk "device has been disconnected" which several people, plural, have insisted is much more likely to be a poor USB connection?

I challenge you to find me a post in any forum of your choice, where a person measured their originally working power supply, a "wall wart", to any device you want, where they noticed, "Although this power supply still successfully illuminates the power "on" light of my product, the voltage and/or current of its output has been severely compromised, so that my unit's functionality is impaired."

The reason you can't find any such post is because it doesn't happen. 99% of the time they work or they don't work. If you had a frayed cord that a cat was chewing on, for example, then maybe the current output traveling along that one, tiny, thin remaining strand of wire might be compromised, but there was no indication the cord looked frayed in this story so that seems unlikely.

I worked for over 20 years selling electronics professionally. A "powers the unit up but not fully functional" power supply is unheard of unless, as I mentioned, the cord is frayed down to only a single internal strand or two, making it to the product for power. [Thinner wires can't conduct the full current necessary in some instances.]

Last edited by m. zillch; 08-09-2014 at 02:04 PM.
post #3849 of 3862 Old 08-09-2014, 02:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Other reasons the cord might get compromised, besides animal chewing, is if it gets caught/mangled in a stereo cabinet door/hinge, squished by a heavy rack's foot, or accidentally tripped over as you walk passed it in a dark room and the heavy jolt to the wire severs some of the internal strands, but not all of them. But no mention of physical trauma was ever mentioned by nikknightt.

Last edited by m. zillch; 08-09-2014 at 02:20 PM.
post #3850 of 3862 Old 08-09-2014, 03:43 PM
AVS Special Member

I changed the power supply, the problem vanished, what do you want me to say. No I didn't put it through a rigorous testing cycle, why would I? It worked. Take it however you like, the problem magically went away and the box worked. Troubleshoot until the end of days, I don't care to spend endless hours trying to analyze something that isn't broken any longer. How much is one's time worth, when you can try something for $5 or $10 dollars that might or might not work.

I saw no signs of wear on the cord and/or the PS, it was never in a cabinet, doubt it got pinched or anything like that, but never say never, just didn't see anything obvious.

It could be current related, I don't know the internal circuity of the 1212, the power on light could come on with minimal voltage for all I know.
The original PS was 5V @ 3.0A, that seems to be a bit above the norm(current wise) of most things I found laying around the house, maybe they found a deal on those Power Supplies or maybe the box uses more current than normal circuits.

I have no agenda, I'm only reporting what happened to me and the box I have.
post #3851 of 3862 Old 08-09-2014, 04:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I was wondering if anyone else is having a similar problem to what I'm having right now. A bunch of files that I recorded back in 2012 were captured with my Hauppauge HD PVR and then edited with VideoReDo. Once I author my Blu-ray with MultiAVCHD, I get a files that "jump" (for lack of a better word) a second or two after they start. It's not huge but it's about 2-3 frames, I would say.
When I ran them through tsmuxer, I got an error that said "Bad SEI detected. SEI too short." If I select "Do Not Change SEI," it processes fine but the jump is still there.
Is there any way to fix this? Is re-encoding the only option? Since MultiAVChd uses tsmuxer to create the discs, this anomaly is there on all of them. I ran a bunch of my recordings from the Hauppauge through tsmuxer and they all seem to be having this problem now. This option is something that tsmuxer recently added so i wouldn't have seen the SEI problem as an issue beforehand. However, even if I download an older version of it, I still get the "jump."

Here's an example of one of the files:

Quote:
General
ID : 1 (0x1)
Complete name : J:\Test
Format : MPEG-TS
File size : 442 MiB
Duration : 4mn 26s
Overall bit rate mode : Variable
Overall bit rate : 13.9 Mbps

Video
ID : 4113 (0x1011)
Menu ID : 1 (0x1)
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : Main@L4.0
Format settings, CABAC : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames : 4 frames
Format settings, GOP : M=3, N=24
Codec ID : 27
Bit rate mode : Variable
Bit rate : 13.0 Mbps
Maximum bit rate : 20.0 Mbps
Width : 1 920 pixels
Height : 1 080 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate : 29.970 fps
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : Interlaced
Scan order : Top Field First
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.210
Stream size : 414 MiB (94%)
Color primaries : BT.709
Transfer characteristics : BT.709
Matrix coefficients : BT.709

Audio
ID : 4352 (0x1100)
Menu ID : 1 (0x1)
Format : AC-3
Format/Info : Audio Coding 3
Mode extension : CM (complete main)
Format settings, Endianness : Big
Codec ID : 129
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 192 Kbps
Channel(s) : 2 channels
Channel positions : Front: L R
Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
Bit depth : 16 bits
Compression mode : Lossy
Stream size : 6.10 MiB (1%)
Language : English

"I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built, and it is terrific." - Michael Caine, on Jaws the Revenge
post #3852 of 3862 Old 08-09-2014, 05:20 PM
Advanced Member

Rebkell, Sorry to drag you into this. I don't believe you were the only one to talk about fixing issues with the PVR ~ I just used your post as an example. Others in the 1512 thread have confirmed that they have fixed similar issues with a new pwr supply. I appreciate everyone offering advice on the subject but at this point I just want to buy a new, proper power supply. They are $5 on amazon or ebay. Mine is also a 5v 3a. (even tho the hauppauge replacements are 5v 2a)
post #3853 of 3862 Old 08-09-2014, 05:39 PM
Advanced Member

NYC, I've also had some of those SEI errors while using a new version of Tsmuxer. (not 1.10)
You didn't see these jumps before or after the editing? (before burning)
Does it jump once or in places thru out the file?

What version of VRD did you use? With my VRD I sometimes see a speeding up effect during playback of the file. But thats on my PC. Did you try using quickstream fix in VRD?
What was the source of the capture? Maybe there were drop outs.
post #3854 of 3862 Old 08-09-2014, 06:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
NYC, I've also had some of those SEI errors while using a new version of Tsmuxer. (not 1.10)
You didn't see these jumps before or after the editing? (before burning)
Does it jump once or in places thru out the file?

What version of VRD did you use? With my VRD I sometimes see a speeding up effect during playback of the file. But thats on my PC. Did you try using quickstream fix in VRD?
What was the source of the capture? Maybe there were drop outs.
The old version of TSmuxer never checked for it so I never knew it was a problem but, going back to those older files, it was always a problem. I've had this issue with a host of different sources lately...from laserdiscs to HDTV captures so it has nothing to do with drop outs. They've all had that jump but I just never knew what was causing it. When I watched my discs, I always saw it. And it ALWAYS happens once, within the first 10 seconds of the file.
And I've also used various versions of VRD. I'm actually in the beta testing group for the newest version now but that didn't start until the end of June and I started noticing this problem in May. It's something with the way the Hauppauge is encoding this stuff.

"I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built, and it is terrific." - Michael Caine, on Jaws the Revenge
post #3855 of 3862 Old 08-09-2014, 10:51 PM
AVS Special Member

I doubt it has anything to do with it, but I believe all of the 1080i recordings had -100ms audio delay and I believe the 720P ones had a -50ms audio delay at the start of all recordings. I think I always told TSMuxer to use -96 on the 1080i ones, so it would drop the first 3 audio packets(probably the wrong terminology, it's been too long since I fooled with any of that stuff, I used eac3to for a lot of stuff, since it could pad and cut correctly and sync the audio correctly.
post #3856 of 3862 Old 08-10-2014, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I doubt it has anything to do with it, but I believe all of the 1080i recordings had -100ms audio delay and I believe the 720P ones had a -50ms audio delay at the start of all recordings. I think I always told TSMuxer to use -96 on the 1080i ones, so it would drop the first 3 audio packets(probably the wrong terminology, it's been too long since I fooled with any of that stuff, I used eac3to for a lot of stuff, since it could pad and cut correctly and sync the audio correctly.
No. I think VRD would have figured all that out for me. This is a problem with the actual information in the header, for some reason. Ugh. I'm so upset.

I was thinking that it might be because I'm using the Hauppauge software and the updated drivers on a 1212 but I don't think it existed 2 years ago. That would have still been Arcsoft.

post #3857 of 3862 Old 08-10-2014, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member

OK so I was just able to reproduce the error. It *IS* definitely a problem in videoredo. It's not a problem with the master file.
I've uploaded both the original recording and the edit and the errors are introduced AFTER videoredo.
ORIGINAL: https://mega.co.nz/#!xRFXmLRD!4-wdDz...L5D95M82CiSbs8
AFTER:https://mega.co.nz/#!kRVX3YhK!3eqneH...lo4T0oDfnmtq7A
And to see the (slight) jerkiness that I'm talking about, here's a smaller clip: https://mega.co.nz/#!xd9XhZqI!i7Jla3...AAvOgyXYguq8Uw
And, to be clear, this has happened with various versions of VRD. It's not just one. The files that I initially noticed this on were recorded several years ago. The files I uploaded were recorded today.

Last edited by DigitalfreakNYC; 08-10-2014 at 11:10 AM.
post #3858 of 3862 Old 08-11-2014, 02:01 PM
Advanced Member

NYC, At what part of the new video is the issue? It looks like the first few seconds are edited but I didn't see a jump during playback.
post #3859 of 3862 Old 08-12-2014, 02:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
NYC, At what part of the new video is the issue? It looks like the first few seconds are edited but I didn't see a jump during playback.
It will really only jump once you author it.

There's some more info from VRD at this point. It seems that ALL of the Hauppauge recordings that are edited with VRD are screwed up. Because (I guess) the SEI is unstable due to the way the Hauppauge makes recordings, it is only made even worse by VRD. They're recommending running it through TSmuxer FIRST before editing so that the SEI will be re-written and everything will be fine once it's edited.

A few frames are recoded around every edit point with VRD so there will likely be some sort of problem at every edit with Hauppauge files. It also depends from player to player how it will manifest itself.

From one of the authors:
Quote:
The problem is likely a mismatch between the few frames we have to recode for the edit and the original stream. Our encoder doesn't support every possible H.264 option, so if your source stream is using something it can't support then there will be a slight mismatch which could cause the error you're seeing.
They're (hopefully) working on a fix for it but there's no guarantee that they'll be able to fix the files that are already screwed up. Although TSmuxer can fix short files (probably around 1-2 minutes), anything longer it crashes. I'm hopeful that there's a way to fix it for larger files. *fingers crossed*

However, from this point forward, I'll run every recording through TSmuxer FIRST and then go from there with regards to editing and burning. It's just shocking that it's taken 4 years to find this problem.

post #3860 of 3862 Old 08-12-2014, 04:19 PM
Advanced Member

Strange. I've authored 100's of discs with tsmuxer & multiavchd.. (edited by VRD) I've never noticed a jump at the beginning.. I've also had smooth edit points in the final project..

They are suggesting that we use the newer TSmuxer 2.6 and rebuild the sei each time before editing? Instead of using VRDs 'quickstream fix' ?
--P.S. I just remuxed 2 60min files thru tsmuxer 2.6 without any crashes.

What's been your evolution of capture apps? TME? SHowbiz? etc...
All of them have produced these results? I've only had issues with corrupt files (SEI) while using the HDPVR2 with the HC app.
post #3861 of 3862 Old 08-14-2014, 03:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Strange. I've authored 100's of discs with tsmuxer & multiavchd.. (edited by VRD) I've never noticed a jump at the beginning.. I've also had smooth edit points in the final project..

They are suggesting that we use the newer TSmuxer 2.6 and rebuild the sei each time before editing? Instead of using VRDs 'quickstream fix' ?
--P.S. I just remuxed 2 60min files thru tsmuxer 2.6 without any crashes.

What's been your evolution of capture apps? TME? SHowbiz? etc...
All of them have produced these results? I've only had issues with corrupt files (SEI) while using the HDPVR2 with the HC app.
They're not suggesting it. *I* am. That's from tons of experimenting over the last week. The only capture device I have is the original HD PVR. It happened with the older Arcsoft software (because the files I'm currently dealing with are from 2 years ago) and it just happened with the latest Hauppauge Capture release. It also happened with recordings that I've received from others (through trades and whatnot) so it's not my device alone.

The crash won't happen unless you're running it through TSmuxer AFTER you've edited with VRD. If you run it through TSmuxer, it re-writes (or somehow fixes) the SEI problem. I guess no other program does that? I dunno.
And there is no evolution. I take the resulting file from Hauppauge and edit it. I posted links of an "original" file and then one after being edited by VRD. That's the one that crashes through TSmuxer.
VRD confirms that quickstream fix has NOTHING to do with the SEI. They say that it doesn't go that deep into the headers.

Last edited by DigitalfreakNYC; 08-14-2014 at 03:50 PM.
post #3862 of 3862 Old 08-30-2014, 11:40 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
No signal error in WMC with HD-PVR after 1 week of running

I finally got WMC to work with my Hauppauge HD-PVR after using the latest Hauppauge drivers and using the MediaPortal drivers for the IR remote. I only get occasional channel changing mixups.

That is until a month ago. Now, after Windows 7 runs for about a week, I get the no signal error when tuning any channel. Nothing I do will fix the problem except reboot.

Anyone know why this is happending? Any suggestions?

The following webpage
http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...m=w7itpromedia
says that once Windows Media Center gets a error from the HDPVR tuner, it can't recover.

I don't think this is the problem since the error never occurs while watching a show. Although it does suggest why I need to reboot.

I previously posted this problem on thegreenbutton.tv forum but received no response.
Reply Home Theater Computers

Tags
Hauppauge 1212 Hd Pvr High Definition Personal Video Recorder

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page