post #3871 of 3895 Old 12-28-2014, 09:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by eonibm View Post
The file won't even load onto the iPad...
That will happen if the MP4 is non-standard (including if the audio is non-standard).

Your audio from the HDPVR is probably encoded as AC3 5.1. This is different different than what the iPad Handbrake setting which outputs Dolby Prologic II (which is stereo). Try to have the HDPVR record in stereo.

Encoding speed depends upon the CPU, the number of cores, and memory. I've a 6-core, Intel i7-3930CPU and 16 GB of memory. Handbrake takes 30 minutes for most 2 hour recordings
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3872 of 3895 Old 12-28-2014, 10:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyrax View Post
That will happen if the MP4 is non-standard (including if the audio is non-standard).

Your audio from the HDPVR is probably encoded as AC3 5.1. This is different different than what the iPad Handbrake setting which outputs Dolby Prologic II (which is stereo). Try to have the HDPVR record in stereo.
I know that but that isn't that the whole point of using a converter like Handbrake or DVD Catalyst, ie to 'convert' the video and audio to the format that the iPad can play? Why else does one choose convert to 'iPad' in the settings? I never had a problem converting with Handbrake before I switched to DVD Catalyst, just that it took a long time.
post #3873 of 3895 Old 12-29-2014, 08:32 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Well I converted a movie from .mp4 to iPad Air FAST 1280 x 720 using DVD Catalyst and it will play in iTunes but will not sync with my iPad Air. I get the error that it 'cannot be played on this iPad'. '

I'm dumbfounded. When I click on the file in iTunes here is the file info. Does anyone know what the problem is?

[IMAGE REMOVED FROM QUOTE]
Can you try picking the profile I use? Moto -> Xoom1 -> HQXT... then modifiy selecting screen size of 1280x720, and see what happens?

EDIT: Or use MediaInfo to grab/paste TEXT details of the file, or VLC Player and get the media info from there. I'm curious as to how the Ipad Air profile files might differ from the ones I'm using successfully.

Last edited by Mark_Venture; 12-29-2014 at 09:18 AM.
post #3874 of 3895 Old 12-29-2014, 08:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I know that but that isn't that the whole point of using a converter like Handbrake or DVD Catalyst, ie to 'convert' the video and audio to the format that the iPad can play? Why else does one choose convert to 'iPad' in the settings? I never had a problem converting with Handbrake before I switched to DVD Catalyst, just that it took a long time.
I looked at a recording hade by the HDPVR and compared it to the iPad re-encode of the file by Handbrake. I used mediainfo (http://sourceforge.net/projects/mediainfo/). One main thing that stood out is that Handbrake uses the format profile High@L3.1, whereas the HDPVR uses Format profile Main@L4.0. Perhaps DVD Catalyst lets you set the profile?

What you're doing is re-encoding the file. That is almost always time consuming. Instead, you might be able to find a tool that will allow you to edit a few bytes in the header of the MP4 file to fool your iPad into loading the HDPVR recording. I did a quick google search "How to edit video format profile" and it came up with this as a first hit:

If you read the text that goes with the You Tube video, you may figure out how to use the same technique with your files. If that doesn't make sense, there may be other tools that could help.

I should tell you that I got rid of my iPad because of a similar problem you're having. I thought it just too closed an environment. MP4 videos from my HDPVR play fine on my Kindle Fire HDx
post #3875 of 3895 Old 12-29-2014, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Sorry, I didn't realize that the you tube video would bet imbedded in my reply.
Here is the link, just replace the _com with .com.
https://www.youtube_com/watch?v=MQ5IIRcn1Nw
post #3876 of 3895 Old 12-31-2014, 04:21 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey a friend bought me the gaming edition of the PVR online though I wanted to use it to record tv. It works with my cable box but obviously I can't change the channel (no IR blaster) any other device I can buy to change channels?
post #3877 of 3895 Old 01-02-2015, 08:51 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 314
See if your cable box allows you to set "reminders." DirecTV calls it "Autotune" I believe. In either case, the box will change to the designated channel at the programmed time. On some boxes, the reminder will also turn the box on, too.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #3878 of 3895 Old 01-12-2015, 08:20 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Help with video stuttering on older PVR 1212

I bought a used Hauppauge PVR 1212 so I can convert some older Hi-8 videos from a camcorder to digital format and save on my PC hard drive. I'm having problems getting this to work. After an hour or so of video capturing, the video will start freezing up and stuttering.

Here are the details. My PC runs Win8 and is a newer, faster PC, so that isn't an issue. I've upgraded all the drivers from Hauppauge's website to the latest ones. Only thing I can't figure out how to update is the Arcsoft Total Media Extreme capturing software. There doesn't seem to be an update option in the software and I can't find any links to update it on Hauppauge's website. Does anyone know how to update that software?

I'm using an s-video cable to connect the camcorder to the PVR, and an RCA cable for the sound (although if I plug in both red and white RCA cables to the PVR, I get feedback, so I only plug in either the red or the white for mono sound.

As I mentioned, everything works fine for the first hour or so (time varies) of capturing, and then the video preview in the TME software starts freezing and stuttering. It does this too during playback of the video. The PVR does not get very warm or hot ... and I've read about overheating problems, so even tried the PVR on its side, where it can vent way better from the bottom vents, and that made no difference. I don't think overheating is an issue with this one.

The capture settings I've been using are 8m for the bit rate and I'm saving it to an MP4 file. The videos play back fine from my camcorder and they are 480 res videos (standard def). I've tried the video capturing with "hardware acceleration" enabled and disabled, and either way I have the same problems.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
post #3879 of 3895 Old 01-12-2015, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in MN View Post
I bought a used Hauppauge PVR 1212 so I can convert some older Hi-8 videos from a camcorder to digital format and save on my PC hard drive. I'm having problems getting this to work. After an hour or so of video capturing, the video will start freezing up and stuttering.

Here are the details. My PC runs Win8 and is a newer, faster PC, so that isn't an issue. I've upgraded all the drivers from Hauppauge's website to the latest ones. Only thing I can't figure out how to update is the Arcsoft Total Media Extreme capturing software. There doesn't seem to be an update option in the software and I can't find any links to update it on Hauppauge's website. Does anyone know how to update that software?

I'm using an s-video cable to connect the camcorder to the PVR, and an RCA cable for the sound (although if I plug in both red and white RCA cables to the PVR, I get feedback, so I only plug in either the red or the white for mono sound.

As I mentioned, everything works fine for the first hour or so (time varies) of capturing, and then the video preview in the TME software starts freezing and stuttering. It does this too during playback of the video. The PVR does not get very warm or hot ... and I've read about overheating problems, so even tried the PVR on its side, where it can vent way better from the bottom vents, and that made no difference. I don't think overheating is an issue with this one.

The capture settings I've been using are 8m for the bit rate and I'm saving it to an MP4 file. The videos play back fine from my camcorder and they are 480 res videos (standard def). I've tried the video capturing with "hardware acceleration" enabled and disabled, and either way I have the same problems.

Are you sure this isn't just from one, certain, problematic Hi-8mm tape as opposed to being a problem that occurs after an hour or so? Try another tape. It might be that the tape in question seems fine but actually has a glitch in the time code, or whatnot, at that certain point. Another test would be to make a short, few minute recording of just the part of the video tape where things go bad. If things go haywire on a short three minute recording of that same patch of tape, that would suggest my theory is correct.

Also monitor the direct , analog video playback [not the processed, digitized version] on the camera's display during this troublesome spot to verify the tape itself is fine at that point.
ClearToLand likes this.

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there is no concept of "accounting for taste". We don't "pick" the level of bass any more than we get to pick the ending of a play. High fidelity is an unbiased, neutral, exact copy (or "reproduction") of the original source's tonal balance, timing, dynamics, etc..

Last edited by m. zillch; 01-12-2015 at 10:32 AM.
post #3880 of 3895 Old 01-12-2015, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m. zillch View Post
Are you sure this isn't just from one, certain, problematic Hi-8mm tape as opposed to being a problem that occurs after an hour or so? Try another tape. It might be that the tape in question seems fine but actually has a glitch in the time code, or whatnot, at that certain point. Another test would be to make a short, few minute recording of just the part of the video tape where things go bad. If things go haywire on a short three minute recording of that same patch of tape, that would suggest my theory is correct.

Also monitor the direct , analog video playback [not the processed, digitized version] on the camera's display during this troublesome spot to verify the tape itself is fine at that point.
Thanks for the tips! I'll have to do more testing to try out the things you suggest.
post #3881 of 3895 Old 01-12-2015, 04:15 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Only thing I can't figure out how to update is the Arcsoft Total Media Extreme capturing software. There doesn't seem to be an update option in the software and I can't find any links to update it on Hauppauge's website. Does anyone know how to update that software?

I'm not sure if the Arcsoft TME software is supported anymore since Hauppauge wrote their own download software. Have you tried the Hauppauge Capture software? I have a lot more success with it. It can be found here:

http://www.hauppauge.com/capture/
post #3882 of 3895 Old 01-12-2015, 04:29 PM
SHS
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpratt View Post
I'm not sure if the Arcsoft TME software is supported anymore since Hauppauge wrote their own download software. Have you tried the Hauppauge Capture software? I have a lot more success with it. It can be found here:

http://www.hauppauge.com/capture/
It not and Showbiz work better any way but even it no longer support
Try this ftp://ftp.hauppauge.com/Support/HDPV..._3.5.41.80.exe it should work on the first ver HD-PVR.
post #3883 of 3895 Old 01-12-2015, 05:01 PM

Great! Thanks for the tips on using Hauppauge Capture or ShowBiz 3.5 instead of the old TME program that came with my PVR.

What's the consensus as to which is the better capture software for the model 1212 PVR: Hauppauge Capture or ShowBiz?
post #3884 of 3895 Old 01-13-2015, 12:03 AM
AVS Special Member

I don't like all the hoops I have to jump through with the original HD-PVR 1212 Arcsoft TME software to burn to Bluray blanks having to use a multi-step process and third party programs. Does Showbiz handle this more easily and all in-house? I'm reluctant to use IMGburn anymore because during a recent software upgrade for it I downloaded some sort of malware/virus I had to get rid of so I'm steering clear of that. [I forget the details, perhaps the site got sold off and bought by con artists?]

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there is no concept of "accounting for taste". We don't "pick" the level of bass any more than we get to pick the ending of a play. High fidelity is an unbiased, neutral, exact copy (or "reproduction") of the original source's tonal balance, timing, dynamics, etc..

post #3885 of 3895 Old 01-13-2015, 08:48 AM
SHS
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I don't like all the hoops I have to jump through with the original HD-PVR 1212 Arcsoft TME software to burn to Bluray blanks having to use a multi-step process and third party programs. Does Showbiz handle this more easily and all in-house? I'm reluctant to use IMGburn anymore because during a recent software upgrade for it I downloaded some sort of malware/virus I had to get rid of so I'm steering clear of that. [I forget the details, perhaps the site got sold off and bought by con artists?]
There not much you can do but go thru all the hoops
I really miss day with Ulead Movie Factory to bad they sold out on us as it could have easy support direct recording from HD-PVR just like with older PVR MPEG-2 model but even then Womble MPEG-VCR was still best Video editor to bad they never move to H.264/AVC editing.
The only other option to and all-in-one package is Cyberlink PowerProducer.
Then there TMPGEnc Authoring Works, Corel Pinnacle/Roxio Creator there all so Nero but it not all in one and I have not tested any of those in years.

IMGburn has no malware/virus but it dose come bundle 3rdparty software namely OpenCandy bundleware so be alert! pay close attention to each screen and uncheck by not accept the license to that carp.
post #3886 of 3895 Old 01-13-2015, 11:18 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Great! Thanks for the tips on using Hauppauge Capture or ShowBiz 3.5 instead of the old TME program that came with my PVR.

What's the consensus as to which is the better capture software for the model 1212 PVR: Hauppauge Capture or ShowBiz?
I have a 1212 PVR and prefer Hauppauge Capture to TME, but I have not tried Showbiz, but I will.

"IMGburn has no malware/virus but it dose come bundle 3rdparty software namely OpenCandy bundleware so be alert! pay close attention to each screen and uncheck by not accept the license to that crap."

I almost always use IMBburn to burn my DVD or Blu Ray or AVCHD discs. I have not seen any problems with the current version 2.5.8.0.
post #3887 of 3895 Old 01-13-2015, 11:32 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
I'm glad I checked this thread, I didn't know Happauge had new Capture software. Has anyone used it to record analog video with digital audio? I have never been able to do that with TME, whenever I try I get huge stuttering for a couple of minutes and then a complete freeze. Very annoying as I have some old laserdiscs I would like to convert to digital.
post #3888 of 3895 Old 01-13-2015, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHS View Post
IMGburn has no malware/virus but it dose come bundle 3rdparty software namely OpenCandy bundleware so be alert! pay close attention to each screen and uncheck by not accept the license to that carp.
I'm generally pretty careful about reading the questions before the download, asking if I want to add extra junk and of course I always say "no". I guess I may have overlooked it, perhaps, but as I remember it an auto pop up appeared out of nowhere, saying "Do you wish to upgrade the IMGburn software to the new version?" and there were no further options to unclick third party addons after that. I didn't just rapidly click away and ignore anything, I swear. At least that's how I remember it.

This from their forum from someone who similarly was disappointed:
Posted 17 August 2013 - 02:15 PM
I know this post will get locked and unanswered but i thought i would give you a chance to explain to me and others that have this issue why we have to deal with malware? I accidently mis-clicked on a next tab which resulted in the Delta Search Bar being installed and now im in the process of removing it and re-adding all my chrome extensions because of this. I also need to do a full malware scan with malwarebytes now because of this which i dont think is fair to your users do you?

So why do you have software that installs malware?
Where did i download from? Oh YOUR site!
post #3889 of 3895 Old 01-13-2015, 02:32 PM

buzzing when plugging in both RCA cables

I have another question for you PVR owners. I'm trying to capture Hi-8 tabes from a camcorder that only recorded in mono sound. I have a splitter, so I plug one end into the camcorder and then it splits the sound to red and white RCA connectors. However, when I plug those both into my PVR, I get a loud buzzing sound in the audio. If I take one out, and only record to one side, then I don't get that buzzing sound.

I've tried both the front and back set of my PVR's RCA connections, and they both do the same buzzing.

Any idea what causes that buzzing? Is it a defect in my PVR?
post #3890 of 3895 Old 01-13-2015, 02:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Are you dead sure connecting this same RCA stereo cord to your home stereo or TV won't produce the same buzzing/distortion? Try that, and try another cord after that.

Buzzing RCA connections also are sometimes caused by the center pin making full contact but the outer petals, the ground, not making good contact. Be certain your connections are well seated and fully plugged in, on both ends, L and R too, giving a slight twist as you make the connection (helps scrape away oxidation).

Also, the HDPVR has a rather flimsy mounting mechanism straight to the circuit board without any added stress relief , and unfortunately is prone to cracking (breaking). Are you handy with a soldering gun? Take a look inside.

Last edited by m. zillch; 01-13-2015 at 02:58 PM.
post #3891 of 3895 Old 01-13-2015, 05:59 PM
SHS
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I have another question for you PVR owners. I'm trying to capture Hi-8 tabes from a camcorder that only recorded in mono sound. I have a splitter, so I plug one end into the camcorder and then it splits the sound to red and white RCA connectors. However, when I plug those both into my PVR, I get a loud buzzing sound in the audio. If I take one out, and only record to one side, then I don't get that buzzing sound.

I've tried both the front and back set of my PVR's RCA connections, and they both do the same buzzing.

Any idea what causes that buzzing? Is it a defect in my PVR?

That know as Ground Loop Problem just pick up a ground loop isolator from your local RadioShack or Wal-Mart or Truck Stop even Car Radio Shop should have them.
post #3892 of 3895 Old 01-14-2015, 09:37 AM

Hauppauge says the 1212 PVR won't work with Hi8 or VCR tapes

Quote:

Just an update to my post above. After trying 3 different capture programs, trying different USB and S-video cables, nothing fixed my problems with trying to copy Hi8 camcorder tapes to my harddrive. They still freeze up and stutter. After trying all other options, I ran across a couple Amazon reviews on the PVR 1212 that said they also had problems trying to convert Hi8 tapes. And one person emailed Hauppauge and a tech emailed back and said:

".. the hd-pvr has know issues when recording from hi8 tapes or vcr the developers tell us that if there are inconsistencies or spikes in the signal it would cause the encoder in the hd-pvr to lock up during recording with no way of fixing it. The hd-pvr was meant more for recording from high definition signals or from dvd players, etc."

That sounds like that's the problem to me. Just wanted to post this in case any others have this problem.

Anyone know if the newer models of the PVR work better with converting analog, Hi-8 videotapes?

Last edited by Dave in MN; 01-14-2015 at 09:40 AM.
post #3893 of 3895 Old 01-14-2015, 10:29 AM
SHS
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Just an update to my post above. After trying 3 different capture programs, trying different USB and S-video cables, nothing fixed my problems with trying to copy Hi8 camcorder tapes to my harddrive. They still freeze up and stutter. After trying all other options, I ran across a couple Amazon reviews on the PVR 1212 that said they also had problems trying to convert Hi8 tapes. And one person emailed Hauppauge and a tech emailed back and said:

".. the hd-pvr has know issues when recording from hi8 tapes or vcr the developers tell us that if there are inconsistencies or spikes in the signal it would cause the encoder in the hd-pvr to lock up during recording with no way of fixing it. The hd-pvr was meant more for recording from high definition signals or from dvd players, etc."

That sounds like that's the problem to me. Just wanted to post this in case any others have this problem.

Anyone know if the newer models of the PVR work better with converting analog, Hi-8 videotapes?
I never had a problem capturing form Hi-8 with the newer model HD-PVR 2 but never capture long hours because my dumb sister law never use it right as she always stop and start the dame thing making a big #$%^ mess out every thing. Here a short clip from HD-PVR 2 http://www.shspvr.com/reviews/hd_pvr...m_composite.ts
post #3894 of 3895 Old 01-14-2015, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
It's possible that cleaning up the signal by passing it through a TBC, time base corrector, would remove the "spikes". Although there are stand alone versions, some VCRs, both consumer and pro, have time base correctors built-in. Simply connect to said unit's input and then sending the live signal to the HDPVR may act as a filter and correct the problem. Even connecting to certain video swicther devices, such as A/V receivers, and passing through them may even do the trick. Worth trying if you already own such units, I'd say. Good luck.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_base_correction

post #3895 of 3895 Old 01-14-2015, 12:14 PM
SHS
AVS Special Member

Quote:
It's possible that cleaning up the signal by passing it through a TBC, time base corrector, would remove the "spikes". Although there are stand alone versions, some VCRs, both consumer and pro, have time base correctors built-in. Simply connect to said unit's input and then sending the live signal to the HDPVR may act as a filter and correct the problem. Even connecting to certain video swicther devices, such as A/V receivers, and passing through them may even do the trick. Worth trying if you already own such units, I'd say. Good luck.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_base_correction

If that the case he be better off pick up and giving the Hauppauge Colossus a try as it has TBC build-in.
Stand alone TBC's or sync correctors:
AV Toolbox AVT 8710
Lektropack CTB100 (Full TBC)
Lektropack CDM630 (PAL/NTSC converter with TBC)
Lektropack CCR9 (PAL-NTSC converter, removing errors)
Datavideo TBC-1000 (Full TBC, distribution amp)
Datavideo TBC-100 (PCI card, takes only 5 and 12 v from computer)

Video mixers with build-in TBC's:
Panasonic WJ AVE-3 / WJ MX-5 / 7 10 / 12 /20 / 30 /..
Blaupunkt DVM-2000 / 5000 (MX-5 / MX-10)
Videonics MX-1
Edriol V4

And that doesn't take in to count of hand full of HandyCAM or VCR with build-in TBC's which not really cheap even as use model.
Some time you have no option but look in getting a RAW capture device that dose DV or AVI like Canopus ADVC-100, DataVideo DAC-100 just name a few.
Reply Home Theater Computers

Tags
Hauppauge 1212 Hd Pvr High Definition Personal Video Recorder