Hauppauge HDPVR-1212 Owner's Thread - Page 134 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 6Likes

post #3991 of 4012 Old 06-19-2017, 03:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 51
I just had an off topic thought. Of late we have had ample examples of people behaving badly on the internet. Then I come to this forum and it seems to me the vast majority of people are helpful and decent. DrDon went to quite some effort to describe problems he's had and fixes that work for him. It is as though all that ever gets reported is peoples' bad behavior and no one acknowledges the kindness we see so often. Weird.
nikknightt likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3992 of 4012 Old 06-19-2017, 10:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyrax View Post
This doesn't sound like the sort of thing that a cable company could do. It sounds more like a problem of your not getting a good signal from TCM. Or some sort of buffering problem in the HD-PVR. What happens when you watch TCM directly from your cable box?

My cable company (Comcast) recently switched from MPG to to low bit rate MP4, but even if Spectrum is doing the that, I do not see how this could effect what you're doing.
When my cable box is connected directly to a TV, the TCM channel plays perfectly. I connect the cable box back to my PC, and the problem starts again. So it seems the cable box is giving out the right signal from TCM. So I don't know why it doesn't do the same for my PC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDon View Post
Me too.

Granted, some of the old TWC systems had a wicked implementation of the CCI bit, but this doesn't sound like that.

What are you using and how is it all connected and what else is connected with it?

For example, I have a 1212 connected via component to an older DirecTV non-DVR receiver. I have the SAME receiver driving a display via HDMI. I get the same issue you're describing.. drops every 10 seconds or so.. on certain channels. Unplugging the HDMI cable fixes it. For reasons I can't figure, the DirecTV box has issues having both outputs connected, but only on SOME channels. AMC is one of them.

I have another, somewhat newer DirecTV non-DVR receiver connected to an HDMI 1x2 splitter. One output drives a display. The other output goes to a Hauppauge 1512. The loop-thru output of the 1512 drives another display. Occasionally, the DirecTV receiver will balk at having the splitter attached. Rebooting the splitter fixes that. Every so often, the 1512 will light up to record.. then turn yellow and sit there. Rebooting the computer fixes THAT. And, on occasion, the display attached to the 1512 won't show a picture. Powering off that display for a while usually fixes THAT.

So, it's a buggy setup, to say the least. But 95% of the time, it works and catches the recordings it's supposed to. The 1212 is more reliable.. especially if I leave the HDMI cable to the display disconnected.

I'm just posting all my issues in case one of them somehow helps in your situation. But, yeah. Helps to know how you have everything connected and what happens when you view TCM directly.
My cable box sends component video and optical audio to my HD-PVR. The HD-PVR is connected via USB to the PC. I use SageTV capture software, which detects the HD-PVR fine, and is able to record programs from all channels except TCM (or maybe others I don't yet know about).

I don't have the kind of "dual" outputs you have. My cable box doesn't have HDMI output.

The issues you have "for reasons you can't explain" are kind of worrisome to me. You seem to have found the workarounds and therefore were able to avoid the glitches. But I have tried many different things and have yet to find a workaround: rebooting cable box, rebooting PC, rebooting HD-PVR, using different power outlets.

And yet all my boxes seem to work perfectly when they record channels other than TCM.

This may all be due to the imperfection of the technologies of these boxes, which make them not work well together all the time. There is no chance the industry would improve these technologies that would help us make our own recordings. So this could be the fine straw that would make me cut cable.
post #3993 of 4012 Old 06-20-2017, 05:21 PM

I changed optical audio to component audio, and now my HD-PVR is finally able to capture without a hitch. I just tried it twice, and was able to capture several minutes of uninterrupted video for the first time in a long time. I hope this is it. I hope this is the "for reasons I can't explain" kind of workaround that I was fortunate to stumble upon. The downside is that without optical audio, I can't capture 6-channel audio. But since TCM shows mostly old movies, 2-channel audio is good enough.

post #3994 of 4012 Old 06-20-2017, 08:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Kevin-
Interesting solution you found. This could be a driver or Hauppauge Capture issue. I notice that there is a version they posted on Dec 2016 (hauppaugecapture_1_1_34315), you may wish to try it.

BTW, I never got 5.1 AC3 to work at all on any channel with either my HD-PVR or my Colossus 2, so I am a little jealous that you get it on your other channels.
post #3995 of 4012 Old 06-20-2017, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Kevin-
Interesting solution you found. This could be a driver or Hauppauge Capture issue. I notice that there is a version they posted on Dec 2016 (hauppaugecapture_1_1_34315), you may wish to try it.

BTW, I never got 5.1 AC3 to work at all on any channel with either my HD-PVR or my Colossus 2, so I am a little jealous that you get it on your other channels.
Hauppauge Capture is their capture utility, which I have never used. I use SageTV as my capture utility, and it has been working well, though unsupported. The latest driver for HD-PVR is the same 2012 one that I have been using. I'm recording from TCM problem-free as I speak, so I'm glad I seem to have that problem fixed.

About the only other issue I have had is that I can't record continuously for longer than 15-18 hours or so without having a failed capture. This can occur even when the broadcast signal is good. The resulting video usually needs VideoRedo to "quick fix" in order to be playable. And of course I lose all the video that wasn't recorded after the failure occurred. This may be a problem with the software, i.e. SageTV, driver, etc.

Besides optical audio output, my cable box also has coax digital audio output, which carries 6-channel sound. But unfortunately, the HD-PVR doesn't have coax audio input.

Last edited by kevin_y; 06-20-2017 at 09:32 PM.
post #3996 of 4012 Old 06-20-2017, 10:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I wonder... if you now get a low (4 Mbps) bit rate 720P TCM signal like I do and SageTV is trying to encode it at 11 Mbps. Perhaps the problem is that SageTV is having a problem recording at so much higher a bit rate than you're getting from your cable co. What happens if you lower the bit rate in SageTV to 6 Mbps - can you record 5.1 audio? If 6 Mbps works, try 9 Mbps. As you said, TCM doesn't need more than stereo audio, but it might be useful to have a fix if the problem appears on other stations in the future.
post #3997 of 4012 Old 06-21-2017, 07:22 AM

Quote:
I wonder... if you now get a low (4 Mbps) bit rate 720P TCM signal like I do and SageTV is trying to encode it at 11 Mbps. Perhaps the problem is that SageTV is having a problem recording at so much higher a bit rate than you're getting from your cable co. What happens if you lower the bit rate in SageTV to 6 Mbps - can you record 5.1 audio? If 6 Mbps works, try 9 Mbps. As you said, TCM doesn't need more than stereo audio, but it might be useful to have a fix if the problem appears on other stations in the future.
I did try using a lower bit rate, but the problem remained. I don't really think the bit rate has any bearing in this since analog recordings are involved here. Through a "loophole," if you will, the HD-PVR takes DRM-protected digital signals and tries to record them in analog via component inputs. I'm beginning to think that the reason I had trouble with optical audio is that it was *digital*. But then, that might not be it, since I was able to record other channels even in digital audio.

The only time I record in digital is when I record DRM-free OTA channels, in which case you can't change the bit rate.
post #3998 of 4012 Old 08-19-2017, 10:25 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hey everyone!

I'm experiencing an issue with my Hauppauge HD PVR 1212. I've been using the unit for about 18 months now and have trouble shooted most issues that have come along.

I've got a video glitch error that I can't figure out and was hoping someone here has encountered it before.

When I preview and record video the video gets cut up and separated on the preview and final recording of the video.

I've tried to trouble shoot it online but can't seem to find anyone having a similar problem. It occurs randomly and for different amounts of time. The only way I've found to fix the problem is to press stop and play again on the source. I've tried numerous video sources (vcr, hi8 camera, MiniDV camera). I thought I might have just had a faulty unit so I purchased a new one, to my dismay I was having the same problem with the newly purchased one. There must be a problem on my end but I can't seem to figure it out.

I've replaced all the cords and AC adapter. I've removed and reinstalled the software and drivers multiple times. I've even tried it across multiple computers and VCR's but have the same result on all computers. I'm currently using Total Media Extreme, but have had the same result in Hauppauge Capture.

Would really appreciate if anyone can help me out on this one.
Cheers guys.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20979541_10212646858999140_390431405_n[1].png
Views:	18
Size:	530.8 KB
ID:	2270382   Click image for larger version

Name:	20938843_10212646842398725_486932229_n[1].png
Views:	17
Size:	485.2 KB
ID:	2270384  
post #3999 of 4012 Old 08-20-2017, 06:50 AM
SHS
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 20
It could be some kind of hardware failure it well know that the if HD-PVR started over heat it would cause off wall to happing
Some of us mod or device with add a fan to the case in order to keep it cool.
post #4000 of 4012 Old 08-20-2017, 10:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by swils206 View Post
Hey everyone!
I'm experiencing an issue with my Hauppauge HD PVR 1212. I've been using the unit for about 18 months now and have trouble shooted most issues that have come along.
I've got a video glitch error that I can't figure out and was hoping someone here has encountered it before.
Cheers guys.
You might need a Time Base Corrector. (TBC) Since you're dealing with tape..
I use my Sony 8mm camera pass thru with TBC..

Does it have an issue when capturing non-tape sources thru the component inputs?

post #4001 of 4012 Old 08-20-2017, 11:12 AM
SHS
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikknightt View Post
You might need a Time Base Corrector. (TBC) Since you're dealing with tape..
I use my Sony 8mm camera pass thru with TBC..

Does it have an issue when capturing non-tape sources thru the component inputs?
It possible he need one
The 1st photo with frame shift it causes by tape it self I even seen this show up on both cable and sat feeds with glitch error there that even a TBC can't do any about that.
As long the HD-PVR is still recording with out freeze then a TBC is not needed.
But if it doing with every tape then more then like lee the hardware it self so even a TBC be use less in this case.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg techtv_anime_09.jpg (56.5 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg techtv_error_06.jpg (44.7 KB, 6 views)
post #4002 of 4012 Old 09-25-2017, 11:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 41
PVR-1212 Format Options - Which One is Best for Plex?

I kept procrastinating on posting here until I felt that I was confident that I had all of my facts straight (OCD). But, I (have to realize that) am a Senior Citizen now and I have SO MANY concurrent tasks going on [Building/rebuilding new/old Windows PCs (Clients and Servers), setting up VMware ESXi Servers, loading microSD cards with various applications for my *THREE* new Raspberry Pi 3 Model B PCBs (Kodi w/ 'official' Plex Client, OpenHab Home Automation for my 40+ year old X-10 devices along with my new Smartthings/ZWave 'stuff' since X-10 Corp is now basically 'DEAD'), maintaining my home, keeping my wife of 44+ years happy; Retirement is *GREAT*!!! But I'm busy almost ALL of my waking hours!] that I'm just going to post 'what I can remember' and suffer any 'slings and arrows' sent my way...

I bought a Hauppauge PVR-1212 *SEVERAL* years ago. I used it with my (then new) HP G7-1310US laptop as a 'mini' HTPC to record the SCRAMBLED QAM FiOS broadcasts (through the component outputs from a 7100 STB) that my multiple Magnavox 2160 DVRs feeding my multiple ReplayTV 5XXXs couldn't 'see'.

Over the past ~5-6 years, my G7 (running 24x7) has 'killed' two HDDs - the original Hitachi began the 'clicking' and the first replacement WD kept getting slower and slower until, when I eventually ran CHKDSK, it hung. ViVard, from UBCD, found over 1000 consecutive BAD sectors (which CHKDSK couldn't handle). So now, after a several months gap (my health is failing, I'm moving 'slow' - I need surgery but again, I'm procrastinating...), I'm up again on my third HDD, another WD. But, here's the 'twist'.

Where I originally created / saved all of my output as AVCHD / .TS files that played just fine on my Patriot PBO Media Streamer, now I have a new NAS that is capable of running the Plex Server. Reading everything I could find (OCD again), I found that .MP4 (w/ AC-3? I don't remember...) is the 'preferred' format. So, in order to get .MP4, I had to choose 'XBOX 360'. But then, although I have my FiOS 7100 STB outputting 1080, MediaInfo tells me my .MP4 files are 720?!? 'PlayStation 3' outputs .M2TS files (which I haven't seen referenced elsewhere).

So, I switched back to AVCHD / .TS files, MediaInfo reports 1080 w/ AC-3 correctly, and I 'believe' this is the setting that I should use / stick with. My newer Patriot Core Media Streamer, in uPnP mode, plays them just fine. My TiVo Roamio Basic, sadly to my dismay, 'peaks out' @ 720 @ 4Mbps as a Plex Client (before it needs on-the-fly transcoding; thus the need for buying the Raspberry Pi 3; POS TiVo Plex Client software!)

Comments / Observations / Suggestions / Opinions?

Low Post Count <> Low Knowledge ergo High Post Count <> High Knowledge

ClearToLand's Picks For Best Answers to Common ReplayTV Questions

Remember, it's only TV...
post #4003 of 4012 Old 09-26-2017, 02:28 AM
SHS
AVS Forum Special Member

Hi ClearToLand
What are using as TV server backend ?, becuase far I know of Plex dosen't support any kind analog tuner, in fact they just only start add in ATSC Tuner support for DVR part which is not very good.
Laptop where never meant to be used as 24/7 server and yes they kill hard a lot faster then desktop counter part, this where SSD come in play but not cheap by any means for big ones.
To bad you didn't look in SageTV and it unRAID as it has direct support for the HD-PVR and ever support Miniclient with use of NVidia Shield TV
But I'm guest that you have DVD/Bluray rip media to so that where Emby and Plex really shine as it has a petty face.
post #4004 of 4012 Old 09-30-2017, 10:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Question for those who have been using the Hauppauge devices:

I'm trying to capture something from cable that's on-demand with my 1512. The problem is that the main program is in 5.1 but the commercials in between are stereo. Every time it cuts to commercial, the Hauppauge locks up. I'm going to assume that my only option is to use my 1212 instead of the 1512 and output in 2.0 through RCA cables.

Any other ideas?
post #4005 of 4012 Old 09-30-2017, 10:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Differences Between .M2TS, .TS, .MP4?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClearToLand View Post
---SNIP---

Where I originally created / saved all of my output as AVCHD / .TS files that played just fine on my Patriot PBO Media Streamer, now I have a new NAS that is capable of running the Plex Server. Reading everything I could find (OCD again), I found that .MP4 (w/ AC-3? I don't remember...) is the 'preferred' format. So, in order to get .MP4, I had to choose 'XBOX 360'. But then, although I have my FiOS 7100 STB outputting 1080, MediaInfo tells me my .MP4 files are 720?!? 'PlayStation 3' outputs .M2TS files (which I haven't seen referenced elsewhere).

So, I switched back to AVCHD / .TS files, MediaInfo reports 1080 w/ AC-3 correctly, and I 'believe' this is the setting that I should use / stick with. My newer Patriot Core Media Streamer, in uPnP mode, plays them just fine. My TiVo Roamio Basic, sadly to my dismay, 'peaks out' @ 720 @ 4Mbps as a Plex Client (before it needs on-the-fly transcoding; thus the need for buying the Raspberry Pi 3; POS TiVo Plex Client software!)

Comments / Observations / Suggestions / Opinions?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHS View Post
Hi ClearToLand
What are using as TV server backend ?, becuase far I know of Plex dosen't support any kind analog tuner, in fact they just only start add in ATSC Tuner support for DVR part which is not very good.
Laptop where never meant to be used as 24/7 server and yes they kill hard a lot faster then desktop counter part, this where SSD come in play but not cheap by any means for big ones.
To bad you didn't look in SageTV and it unRAID as it has direct support for the HD-PVR and ever support Miniclient with use of NVidia Shield TV
But I'm guest that you have DVD/Bluray rip media to so that where Emby and Plex really shine as it has a petty face.
Thanks for the reply @SHS but, unfortunately, you've headed off in the wrong direction.

I'm NOT using the PVR-1212 as part of any TV Server - just using it to record missed (TiVo) programs via FiOS On-Demand. While I used AVCHD / .TS for years to record 'scrambled' QAM that my Magnavox DVRs with 'plain-vanilla' ATSC tuners couldn't tune for my ReplayTV 5XXXs, the reason for my current posts is the Plex 'requirement' of .MP4 files. IMO, as far as the TotalMedia Extreme 2 software is concerned, I could 'probably' rename all the .TS files to .MP4 and then use either the Plex Server or ffmpeg w/ faststart to move all the header info to the beginning of the file - if that's even necessary.

AFAICT, *ALL* TotalMedia Extreme 2 output formats ENCODE in H.264 and either AAC or AC3; it's just the CONTAINER that we can change:
  • When I use 'XBOX 360' / .MP4, I get a file extension of .MP4 BUT MediaInfo says that my original 1080 video is now 720.
  • When I use PLAYSTATION 3 / .M2TS, the 'blocks' are longer (192 vs 188) so the file is bigger (but the actual 'show' contents are the same).
  • When I use AVCHD / .TS, the 'blocks' are 188, and everything else is PERFECT, except the file extension is .TS instead of .MP4 (for Plex).
Plex 'seems' OK with .TS so I think I'll stick with AVCHD but I was just curious to learn the differences between .M2TS, .TS and .MP4 as defined by Hauppauge / TotalMedia Extreme 2.

Another 'experiment' that I'm currently considering is comparing the end result of processing a DECRYPTED .tivo file (i.e. RAW .mpeg-2) through Handbrake (i.e. SOFTWARE encoding; I also want to test QuickSync) vs recording from the FiOS HD STB (Motorola 7100) through the PVR-1212 (i.e. HARDWARE encoding) and simply varying the bit rate setting.

@nikknightt - any comments / suggestions?

Low Post Count <> Low Knowledge ergo High Post Count <> High Knowledge

ClearToLand's Picks For Best Answers to Common ReplayTV Questions

Remember, it's only TV...
post #4006 of 4012 Old 09-30-2017, 11:48 PM
SHS
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalfreakNYC View Post

I'm trying to capture something from cable that's on-demand with my 1512. The problem is that the main program is in 5.1 but the commercials in between are stereo. Every time it cuts to commercial, the Hauppauge locks up. I'm going to assume that my only option is to use my 1212 instead of the 1512 and output in 2.0 through RCA cables.

Any other ideas?
There nothing can do about it know problem just with resolution which why best to used a fix resolution output

Last edited by SHS; 10-01-2017 at 12:00 AM.
post #4007 of 4012 Old 09-30-2017, 11:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
There nothing can do about it know problem just with resolution which why best to used a fix resolution output
Huh?????

"I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built, and it is terrific." - Michael Caine, on Jaws the Revenge
post #4008 of 4012 Old 10-01-2017, 12:00 AM
SHS
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Huh?????
There nothing you can do about it that is a know problem just like with video resolution which is why it best to used a fix resolution output like 720p or 1080i I used 70p

Last edited by SHS; 10-01-2017 at 12:13 AM.
post #4009 of 4012 Old 10-01-2017, 07:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
There nothing you can do about it that is a know problem just like with video resolution which is why it best to used a fix resolution output like 720p or 1080i I used 70p
I'm using a fixed resolution. The video isn't the problem.

"I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built, and it is terrific." - Michael Caine, on Jaws the Revenge
post #4010 of 4012 Old 10-01-2017, 08:43 AM
SHS
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I'm using a fixed resolution. The video isn't the problem.
It one or the other or sometimes even both can cases you have problem every time it cuts to commercial or resolution switching, the Hauppauge locks up so there nothing you can other tell set-top box output stereo and or both fix resolution then that should go away if you still seeing the problem then not using optical audio go to stereo RCA jack.
post #4011 of 4012 Old 10-02-2017, 11:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I'm trying to capture something from cable that's on-demand with my 1512. The problem is that the main program is in 5.1 but the commercials in between are stereo. Every time it cuts to commercial, the Hauppauge locks up. I'm going to assume that my only option is to use my 1212 instead of the 1512 and output in 2.0 through RCA cables. Any other ideas?
As far as I can remember, I've captured with my 1212 & 1512 with 5.1/2.0 switching audio without any problems. 1512 via HDMI audio.. 1212 via SPDIF.
TsDoctor gives me a warning that the audio had switched during the capture but no lock ups or errors..
I'm using Hauppauge Capture 1_1_34315..
post #4012 of 4012 Old 10-02-2017, 11:19 PM
Advanced Member

@ClearToLand

Did you get this figured out for your Plex? I don't use Plex.. I Use Kodi with my RPi2 and share my media drives to the network.. Kodi will play almost anything. mp4 ts mkv iso.... Even a DVD file structure - video_ts IFO file..

I have successfully changed the file extension from ts to mp4 in the past for a samsung BD player I have.. That might be the easiest test.
You can install kodi on your PC to test your files if you need to.

Last edited by nikknightt; 10-02-2017 at 11:22 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Tags
Hauppauge 1212 Hd Pvr High Definition Personal Video Recorder

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page