AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by june03 View Post

Installation Issues:

I'm having problems setting up HD-PVR. I'm running p2.8, 4GB, 256 Video Card, I believe GeForce 6200. Also tried it on mac-mini running windows xp and vista, all fresh installs of the OS. I installed the software that came with CD just to try it out. With Composite cables, i was able to record, however it keeps saying device is in use, quit another application that is using it. I rebooted several times, etc. Component cable connection, i can't capture anything either. I updated the drivers. Do u think I got a bad box and i should return it?

Based upon my experience, I would replace the video card first.
My HP PC had a NVIDA 6150 LE
(lesser edition?) video card. It didn't have the "horsepower" to deal with HD content. Replaced it with the 8500Gt (512 MB) mentioned above and the HD PVR has recorded over 600 GB without significant problems. Even if you have a defective HD PVR you will have to replace the card.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 3831 Old 12-07-2008, 07:39 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was told video card has nothing to do with the capture. Thats what the HD-PVR is for. Video card is for playback. Any hoot, I should be able to capture something, even if it looks crappy. I just dont want to go and buy a video card, then it doesnt work. But thanks for your help.
post #453 of 3831 Old 12-07-2008, 07:43 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
I never used the CD for the software and drivers, did you try the software/drivers on the Hauppauge website?
post #454 of 3831 Old 12-07-2008, 07:45 AM

only the drivers, i just saw the software. i will try those and let everyone know. thanks.
post #455 of 3831 Old 12-07-2008, 09:16 AM

This is the message i get after installing all the latest drivers, software, etc. "The device is not available, or is being used by another application. Please close any application that may be using the device and try again. I dont know what application is using the device. Nothing on the OS besides HD-PVR stuff.
post #456 of 3831 Old 12-07-2008, 01:13 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by june03 View Post

This is the message i get after installing all the latest drivers, software, etc. "The device is not available, or is being used by another application. Please close any application that may be using the device and try again. I dont know what application is using the device. Nothing on the OS besides HD-PVR stuff.

I have gotten that message several times, usually after making an abrupt change from capture, stop, capture again or something similar. At first the message puzzled me. I found that turning off the Hauppauge unit (front button), waiting 30 seconds, then turning it on let everything work again. Rebooting my computer did not.

I'm using the Hauppauge driver ver. 1.0.5.3 and Total Media Extreme 1.0.9.6 (installed automatically from the Arcsoft website - I had previously registered my software at their website).

BTW the Hauppauge "v 2.0" download installed driver ver. 1.0.5.2 - this has been confusing to many users. The TME capture patch provided by Hauppauge for TME ver. 1.0.9.5 has apparently been implemented in TME ver. 1.0.9.6.

Bill Cruce
Widescreen Review
post #457 of 3831 Old 12-07-2008, 02:58 PM

I have the same software/driver versions. When I launch the capture module, plays for 3 secs, then it freezes up. I would buy 512mb video card, but will only do this if this solves the problem.
post #458 of 3831 Old 12-07-2008, 03:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I am a new PVR 1212 owner, and my first project is to capture a long recording (~3 hrs). I am using the current Hauppauge drivers (1.0.53) and the latest version of Arcsoft TME (1.0.9.6). (Perhaps this is my first mistake, but as a newbie, I thought this would be the easiest way to go.)

I have set up the playback multiple times, but at some point during the process, the recording preview window goes black and TME pops up an error box that reads something like, "The device is no longer connected. Please reconnect the device and try again," or something to that effect. (If/when it happens again, I'll edit this post to capture the exact text.) The "Source:" field in the upper left of the ArcSoft Capture Module window is (of course) blank when I see the error dialog.

When this error happens, all the lights on the PVR remain lit up as if it's still recording. The lights remain lit even after I acknowledge the error message; it's not until I actually re-select the PVR in the "Source:" pulldown (and it's always available for reselection!) that the PVR lights go back to "idle".

I've watched a fair bit of the recording process, but I've never caught the error at the time it occurred, so I don't know it there was some event that provoked it (screen saver kicking in? Some other window stealing focus?). It happens at different points into the recording; file sizes at the time I noticed the error were anywhere from 1.8GB to 8.2GB. (I expect the final file size to be ~12-14GB, and I have 18GB free on my disk drive.)

I Googled for the error message, but came up empty. Am I the only one seeing this error?
post #459 of 3831 Old 12-07-2008, 04:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by jruhnke View Post

(screen saver kicking in? Some other window stealing focus?). ?

Anti virus software doing a check/scan? Just a guess. On another forum it was reported but not confirmed that the change in TME software from 1.0.9.5 to 1.0.9.6 was to address not a lockup/black screen issue I think but rather a massive CPU power drain (100% utilization and sluggish performance) caused by Norton Anti Virus software and TME conflicting.

I don't know the answer but thought this info might help. Switching to AVN (? or is it AVG?) anti virus instead is also said to solve the issue by some.

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there is no concept of "accounting for taste". We don't "pick" the level of bass any more than we get to pick the ending of a play. High fidelity is an unbiased, neutral, exact copy (or "reproduction") of the original source's tonal balance, timing, dynamics, etc..

post #460 of 3831 Old 12-07-2008, 06:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the suggestion, but my HTPC is used only for this function, and so has a very limited set of software on it. I scan it periodically for malware, but there is no resident antivirus tool on it at the moment. (Spybot's resident "shield" is present; I may try disabling that, but there was no indication that it had anything to do with the problem.)

For what it's worth, I have kept a small Task Manager window on the screen for much of the time I've been playing around with the PVR, and I have never seen my Opteron 180 CPU at more than ~10% utilization while recording. I'll leave TaskMgr running in the background from now on, and check the plots if/when I see the error again.
post #461 of 3831 Old 12-07-2008, 06:53 PM
AVS Special Member

The real CPU power hog is the playback part of TME, "Theater" I think they call it. My CPU gets maxed, I think even with the 1.0.9.6 software. What's odd is if I turn on "hardware acceleration" in the TME setup menu mid play my video is silky smooth and has no judder, but I can't for the life of my launch a file with it already turned on. Anyone?

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there is no concept of "accounting for taste". We don't "pick" the level of bass any more than we get to pick the ending of a play. High fidelity is an unbiased, neutral, exact copy (or "reproduction") of the original source's tonal balance, timing, dynamics, etc..

post #462 of 3831 Old 12-07-2008, 08:59 PM

ok everyone, finally got it to work. I'm using the rcTVcap program running on my mac mini running bootcamp. Also got it to work on my pc with 256mb video card. A 512mb video card was not needed to "record" the video using rcTVcap. I use the WD-TV to watch my recorded programs. Thanks everyone for your help. I have some tweaking to do.
post #463 of 3831 Old 12-08-2008, 07:29 AM

Quote:

I am a new PVR 1212 owner, and my first project is to capture a long recording (~3 hrs). I am using the current Hauppauge drivers (1.0.53) and the latest version of Arcsoft TME (1.0.9.6). (Perhaps this is my first mistake, but as a newbie, I thought this would be the easiest way to go.)

I have set up the playback multiple times, but at some point during the process, the recording preview window goes black and TME pops up an error box that reads something like, "The device is no longer connected. Please reconnect the device and try again," or something to that effect. (If/when it happens again, I'll edit this post to capture the exact text.) The "Source:" field in the upper left of the ArcSoft Capture Module window is (of course) blank when I see the error dialog.

When this error happens, all the lights on the PVR remain lit up as if it's still recording. The lights remain lit even after I acknowledge the error message; it's not until I actually re-select the PVR in the "Source:" pulldown (and it's always available for reselection!) that the PVR lights go back to "idle".

I've watched a fair bit of the recording process, but I've never caught the error at the time it occurred, so I don't know it there was some event that provoked it (screen saver kicking in? Some other window stealing focus?). It happens at different points into the recording; file sizes at the time I noticed the error were anywhere from 1.8GB to 8.2GB. (I expect the final file size to be ~12-14GB, and I have 18GB free on my disk drive.)

I Googled for the error message, but came up empty. Am I the only one seeing this error?

It could be that the USB power management is turning off the port/hub ( someone please jump in if I'm describing this wrong ). To check, go into Device Manager - Universal Serial Bus controllers. Right-click and select "Properties" on a USB hub, click the "Power Management" tab, make sure "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power." is unchecked. You'll want to verify this for all of your USB connections, I don't know how to tell what is connected to what.

I do not endorse any products that may be advertised within my posts.
post #464 of 3831 Old 12-08-2008, 10:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I posted a few days ago, but still have a few questions:

First, the best I can tell, I am not recording in 5.1. I have the latest driver of Hauppauge's site (1.053) and the upgraded arcsoft software. When I record, it shows 5.1 audio as the source, on the left below the settings, so it is definately a 5.1 source, but after I record and play it back in the arcsoft player, if I go to information, it states that it is 2 channel audio. What do I need to do to get 5.1 sound?

Second, is there an explanation of the constant, variable average and variable peak anywhere? I am trying to fit 3.5 hour games on a 8.5gb DVD and want to get the highest quality a can get within that space, so I am not sure if I should use constant down in the 4.5mbps range, or a higherer variable setting.

Thanks
post #465 of 3831 Old 12-08-2008, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalRacer View Post

It could be that the USB power management is turning off the port/hub

That's a good idea, and I'll definitely check that, but I think that can't be the case since the HD PVR lights remain illuminated even after the error box appears. (If I recall correctly, the only power to the PVR is via the USB cable, so if the lights are on, the USB port is still powered.)
post #466 of 3831 Old 12-08-2008, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:

That's a good idea, and I'll definitely check that, but I think that can't be the case since the HD PVR lights remain illuminated even after the error box appears. (If I recall correctly, the only power to the PVR is via the USB cable, so if the lights are on, the USB port is still powered.)

No, it has an external power supply on the HDPVR. If the blue LED(the whole box basically lights up) and the red record light remains on, it should still be recording though.
post #467 of 3831 Old 12-08-2008, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnedator View Post

First, the best I can tell, I am not recording in 5.1. I have the latest driver of Hauppauge's site (1.053) and the upgraded arcsoft software. When I record, it shows 5.1 audio as the source, on the left below the settings, so it is definately a 5.1 source, but after I record and play it back in the arcsoft player, if I go to information, it states that it is 2 channel audio. What do I need to do to get 5.1 sound?

This sounds like something that has happened to a number of us, and was perhaps discussed mostly in the other HD-PVR thread (http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1015617) It seems if you start your recording before the channel begins the actual movie or series, or whatever it is, it might not have switched into 5.1 yet. Therefore, most video software will only look at the very beginning of the recording and picks up a 2.0 audio flag instead of 5.1. The solution is to make sure you wait until the broadcast has switched to 5.1 before you start your recording. I do this by waiting for my audio receiver to switch it's indicator light to DD 5.1.

Forgot to ask... you are using an optical audio cable, right? Red and white audio cables won't carry 5.1.
post #468 of 3831 Old 12-09-2008, 07:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pagali View Post

This sounds like something that has happened to a number of us, and was perhaps discussed mostly in the other HD-PVR thread (http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1015617) It seems if you start your recording before the channel begins the actual movie or series, or whatever it is, it might not have switched into 5.1 yet. Therefore, most video software will only look at the very beginning of the recording and picks up a 2.0 audio flag instead of 5.1. The solution is to make sure you wait until the broadcast has switched to 5.1 before you start your recording. I do this by waiting for my audio receiver to switch it's indicator light to DD 5.1.

Forgot to ask... you are using an optical audio cable, right? Red and white audio cables won't carry 5.1.

Thanks. I'll check out that thread.

Yes, optical. I don't have any stereo (RCA plugs) hooked up, only component and optical.

I am pretty sure I waited until it was broadcasting 5.1 before hitting capture, and the stats below the format settings button showed 1280x720 and 5.1 audio, where if I was on a commercial or something else broadcasting 2 channel, I believe it showed 2.0 or something for the sound (I am at work and going be memory).

I'll do another test this evening.
post #469 of 3831 Old 12-09-2008, 07:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnedator View Post

I posted a few days ago, but still have a few questions:

Second, is there an explanation of the constant, variable average and variable peak anywhere? I am trying to fit 3.5 hour games on a 8.5gb DVD and want to get the highest quality a can get within that space, so I am not sure if I should use constant down in the 4.5mbps range, or a higherer variable setting.

Thanks

I don't think the Arcsoft player, at least the one that comes with the HDPVR will output 5.1 audio, mine never has, the retail version will, but I don't think the Arcsoft player supplied with the unit will. You are probably recording 5.1, but the Arcsoft won't output it. Just a guess.
post #470 of 3831 Old 12-09-2008, 08:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebkell View Post

I don't think the Arcsoft player, at least the one that comes with the HDPVR will output 5.1 audio, mine never has, the retail version will, but I don't think the Arcsoft player supplied with the unit will.

At first I thought you were exactly correct, however I just connected my computer's Toslink digital optical out to my receiver and can confirm that a movie, Star Wars: A New Hope, I recorded in 5.1 indeed plays out on TME's playback mode ('Theater' I believe they call it) in true 5.1 Dolby Digital. The 5.1 speaker configuration indicator lights on my receiver come on and holding my ear up to a rear channel I was hearing an independent music track different from the main front channels, so I'm sure it was not a matrixed form of surround like Dolby Pro-logic.

I have the OEM version of TME that came with the HD PVR (which didn't used to do this) but I'm now on the latest 1053 hauppaugge drivers and the Arcsoft 1.0.9.6 software.

post #471 of 3831 Old 12-09-2008, 08:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m. zillch View Post

At first I thought you were exactly correct, however I just connected my computer's Toslink digital optical out to my receiver and can confirm that a movie, Star Wars: A New Hope, I recorded in 5.1 indeed plays out on TME's playback mode ('Theater' I believe they call it) in true 5.1 Dolby Digital. The 5.1 speaker configuration indicator lights on my receiver come on and holding my ear up to a rear channel I was hearing an independent music track different from the main front channels, so I'm sure it was not a matrixed form of surround like Dolby Pro-logic.

I have the OEM version of TME that came with the HD PVR (which didn't used to do this) but I'm now on the latest 1053 hauppaugge drivers and the Arcsoft 1.0.9.6 software.

Well, that's good to know, after all the horror stories concerning the last upgrade, I just steered clear, my setup seems to be working very well and I don't normally use TME for playback, so I just passed on this one, I was using the old adage, if it ain't broke don't fix it.
post #472 of 3831 Old 12-11-2008, 02:06 PM

I want to build a new computer because I am thinking of getting the Hauppauge HD PVR 1212 but I had a few questions before I go through and spend a couple thousand.

Based on the Hauppauge HD PVR 1212.
  • Does the files it creates for video and audio open in Windows Movie Maker?
  • Can I add an audio voiceover to these files so I can upload them to youtube and you can hear me explain things in the video?
  • Does its software run on Windows Vista 64bit?

Thanks, I will come back with anymore questions.
post #473 of 3831 Old 12-14-2008, 05:02 PM

Can some of the more experienced owners of the 1212 recommend the best driver and capture software versions to use.

I currently have a BlackMagic Intensity Pro HDMI capture card, but can only record in 2-channel PCM stereo.

But I plan to buy the 1212 to use it for transferring my saved recordings from my DirecTV HR22-100 and Dish622 satellite receivers to my PC with 5.1 audio. Then I plan to archive them on DVD-R's using AutoGK.

Thanks in advance to those who reply
post #474 of 3831 Old 12-14-2008, 05:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by breakpoint25 View Post

• Does the files it creates for video and audio open in Windows Movie Maker?
    I've never worked with that program but I just opened it to see for you. The HD PVR/Arcsoft OEM software makes files called *.M2TS by default once you have the latest software or *.TS if you prefer. They didn't initially show as selectable videos from "My Video" in Windows Movie Maker (WMM) but when I changed it to "look for all files" they did. I opened my 2hr Star Wars file and it worked. I also split the movie in three parts and was able to add them to the storyborad in a different sequence. I stopped there.
  • Can I add an audio voiceover to these files so I can upload them to youtube and you can hear me explain things in the video?
    Not with the supplied software, no. If WMM does that then I guess yes.
  • Does its software run on Windows Vista 64bit?
    Don't know, I have 32bit Home premium.

Thanks, I will come back with anymore questions.

post #475 of 3831 Old 12-14-2008, 05:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by f13dfx View Post

Can some of the more experienced owners of the 1212 recommend the best driver and capture software versions to use.

I use the latest hauppauge drivers 1.053 (?) and the latest Arcsoft Total Media Extreme OEM software updated to 1.0.9.6 over the net. Using this I can

-record DD 5.1 files.
-watch DD 5.1 files.
-edit out commercials and such without having to re-render (or "process", not sure if render is technically correct, the pertinent thing is it is fast and efficient and makes the edited file smaller, not oddly larger as it did with the original version of the software.)
-burn bluray compatible AVCHD videos with 5.1 sound on DVD+R DL disks with pretty good quality up to around 2 hrs per disc (I'm currently using 12.3 MB/S Variable Average Bit Rate with peaks set to 20.2 MB/S, the best that will fit 2hr movies onto just one DL DVD, most of the time.

My only real gripe is the playback software is a CPU hog and I don't feel safe multitasking with the computer while any recording or burning is going on. Glitches in the soundtrack also cause short video dropouts (2 o' 3 seconds each I'd guess) but I blame my source for that more than I do the HD PVR. Analog sound in instead doesn't have this problem but then you only have stereo, OK for some stuff though)

edit to add: glitches in the Toslink optical signal cause an A/V drop out, but the lip synch stays true with the latest software, as best as I can tell, most here say that didn't used to be the case.

post #476 of 3831 Old 12-14-2008, 05:58 PM

Well, all positives, I like it.

One last question, is it compatible with Windows Vista Ultimate 64bit?
Quote:

I use the latest hauppauge drivers 1.053 (?) and the latest Arcsoft Total Media Extreme OEM software updated to 1.0.9.6 over the net. Using this I can

-record DD 5.1 files.
-watch DD 5.1 files.
-edit out commercials and such without having to re-render (or "process", not sure if render is technically correct, the pertinent thing is it is fast and efficient and makes the edited file smaller, not oddly larger as it did with the original version of the software.)
-burn bluray compatible AVCHD videos with 5.1 sound on DVD+R DL disks with pretty good quality up to around 2 hrs per disc (I'm currently using 12.3 MB/S Variable Average Bit Rate with peaks set to 20.2 MB/S, the best that will fit 2hr movies onto just one DL DVD, most of the time.

My only real gripe is the playback software is a CPU hog and I don't feel safe multitasking with the computer while any recording or burning is going on. Glitches in the soundtrack also cause short video dropouts (2 o' 3 seconds each I'd guess) but I blame my source for that more than I do the HD PVR. Analog sound in instead doesn't have this problem but then you only have stereo, OK for some stuff though)

edit to add: glitches in the Toslink optical signal cause an A/V drop out, but the lip synch stays true with the latest software, as best as I can tell, most here say that didn't used to be true.

post #477 of 3831 Old 12-14-2008, 06:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by f13dfx View Post

Well, all positives, I like it.

One last question, is it compatible with Windows Vista Ultimate 64bit?

post #478 of 3831 Old 12-15-2008, 07:13 AM

Quote:

I initially tried Vista64, never got it stable. Haven't tried it for a while (a TME rev or two), so it may work better now. Reverted to XPSP3, and now have it working correctly. YMMV...
post #479 of 3831 Old 12-15-2008, 07:55 AM

Has anyone uploaded the videos to Youtube HD?
post #480 of 3831 Old 12-15-2008, 03:30 PM

I just called a local retailer and they only have the 1219.

Are there any differences, if any?

Update: 1219 is French/English version no other difference
Reply Home Theater Computers

Tags
Hauppauge 1212 Hd Pvr High Definition Personal Video Recorder

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page