Hauppauge HDPVR-1212 Owner's Thread - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 3831 Old 01-20-2009, 09:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
2 questions for you guys...

In the total media theater, how can you set the playback of a video file to only play once? ( I find when it loops back to the beginning, my audio receiver goes haywire )

Has anybody succesfully played back 5.1 surround sound files on a Playstation 3? I think the latest update on the ps3 (2.53) ruined my playback of 5.1 audio/video files.

TheDon T.H.G.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 3831 Old 01-20-2009, 10:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedonn View Post

Has anybody succesfully played back 5.1 surround sound files on a Playstation 3? I think the latest update on the ps3 (2.53) ruined my playback of 5.1 audio/video files.

ARe you saying it doesn't play back 5.1 on movies either?
or do you mean just video clips?
post #543 of 3831 Old 01-21-2009, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikknightt View Post

ARe you saying it doesn't play back 5.1 on movies either?
or do you mean just video clips?

Just video clips I try to play on there. It worked for 2 years up until the last update to 2.53. My friends PS3 still plays the files fine with update 2.30 (he never goes online). My brothers PS3 is just like mine, same 2.53 and it doesnt play the media files anymore either.
But DVDs, Blu Rays, and Games and even the startup PS3 sound all play 5.1 sound when applicable. This is something the last update broke for me. And the update from tonight to 2.60 didnt fix it, its still doing the same thing. Im asking if its just me. The files have a strange characteristic too. They stopped showing the audio codec settings when they were on the harddrive of the PS3 until I recopied them over and now they show Dolby Digital 384kbps but they dont play audio. Any recordings that didnt have 5.1 audio, but instead had only stereo audio, those work fine. but again, they all worked before this last set of updates.

TheDon T.H.G.
post #544 of 3831 Old 01-21-2009, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwalker View Post

It is not the HD-PVR causing that problem is a hardware problem with the Motorola 62xx stb (it happens with other equipment besides the HD-PVR). Call you TV provider (I had Verizon FiOS so got a 7100) and get one of the 7xxx series units.

Roy

roy,
i have to disagree with your conclusion.
my dct6200 stb actually records fine with TME but had the glitch with BTV (disclaimer: btv does not officially support hdpvr yet) so i assume it is somewhere in the difference in how the two programs' recordings are being setup/configured

that said, while others with directTV boxes have reported the exact same problems, the point is now moot for me as i switched from comcast to fios this past weekend and, despite being told i would get qip6200 boxes, i was delivered two qip7100 boxes.........testing to begin soon
post #545 of 3831 Old 01-21-2009, 09:20 AM

Quote:

I've had my 1212 for a few weeks now. Since then I just got a brand spankin new Dell Studio 540 Slim with Vista Premium 64 bit. I installed the PVR on that computer and remembered to go to the Hauppauge update site for the latest driver. When I expanded the driver on my harddrive, I saw it had a 64 bit directory. So the new driver installed fine and my test captures worked perfectly. In fact the wintv/hdpvr scheduler worked, changed the channels on my direct tv hd box and it even recorded and played back 5.1 surround sound (using Juno as my test capture). By the way I got the Dell computer for 415 bucks from their Outlet store. Its supposed to be a scratch & dent but I didnt see anything. Quad Core processor, ATI HD 3450 card with HDMI, 4 gigs of ram and a 640 gig harddrive. Cant beat it. Now I have a permanent HDPC for recording and compressing video and all that stuff. But back to the HD PVR. It works great. Even when I used it with my laptop it worked pretty perfectly. My fav is to record stuff off the playstation. Ever need to show somebody how to complete a level.. just record it in brilliant HD. Save it right to their own playstation 3 harddrive.

That's what I was hoping to hear! And congrats on the bargain you got from Dell.
post #546 of 3831 Old 01-21-2009, 09:37 AM
Advanced Member

Just bought one of these today off newegg. I hope all goes well. I doubt I will get a revision E1. I will just be happy if I get one of the later revisions.

I love the way this device compresses to H.264 on the fly... will be fun to use.

Onkyo TX SR705 FAQ

BLU RAY ◊ 196 Movies
XBOX 360 ◊ 53 Games
PLAYSTATION 3 ◊ 25 Games
post #547 of 3831 Old 01-21-2009, 12:34 PM

I have had my unit now for about 5 months and at this point I can't honestly say Im NOT happy with the Software but I still believe the Hardware is Good.

What baffles me is the slow rate at which Hauppauge is dealing with updates! At the current rate we can expect Version 2.0 by about 2010, and IMO the current 1.x versions perform more like .9x beta versions.

My big gripes.

The software lacks a simple reliable method to do background recording, instead we need to depend on RC cap and the interface software for it. (Both ofwhich are good and I am very thankful for)
but I would expect by now that hauppague would have integrated a better recording system into there own software.

2) Very unreliable recordings, I would never trust TME to record a must see show, it's just too buggy.

3) Audio issue's and video issue's galore! Some people are sitting on what they assume are perfect recordings, I suggest you watch them right through before you invite your friends over to see that lovely Movie.

4) The HD recordings come out way too soft and bleached, I am surprised that the unit cannot make a perfect duplicate of the original component signal.

5) Whats up with the remote, why bother give us it ?
I assumed that the remote would at least have the ability to talk to the 1212 and Turn IT ON and tell it to record!! All they needed to do was to have the 1212 signal the PC to launch a TME module that does background recording. This is the only modern piece of TV equipment I have owned in the last 10 years that could not be turned ON/Off from a remote.

Let me say I am not unhappy with my purchase, I fully expected that as an early adopter I would have to wait a bit for patches and fixes but this has been a lot longer than I expected.
post #548 of 3831 Old 01-21-2009, 02:02 PM

in my opinion, hauppauge will never be in the big leagues for pvr software.
they are primarily a h/w company and quite a good one.

i use btv, but sage is also well worth the small cost, especially compared with the
cost of h/w like this
post #549 of 3831 Old 01-21-2009, 03:05 PM
SFC

New User Questions.

Hi all! Just got a 1212 (revision D2) from Amazon. I installed on my PC (XP Pro) and updated the driver to 1.0.5.3. So far, everything seems to be functioning as expected, including multichannel DD (still need to play with some longer recordings). However, I do have a few questions:

1. I've seen mention here of TME version 1.0.9.6 - how do I determine what version I have? Within TME, the version of TMT I have is 2.1.4.108.

2. Can the OEM version be updated? I found a newer version of TME on the ArcSoft website (2.1.6.120), but after downloading, it wouldn't let me install.

3. Is ArcSoft Connect (the task bar program) necessary?

4. Is the OEM TMT version crippled? I thought TMT could play Blu-ray and HD discs, but so for this version just ignores them.

Thanks in advance, and sorry if I missed this info in other posts.
post #550 of 3831 Old 01-21-2009, 03:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgarth View Post

I have had my unit now for about 5 months and at this point I can't honestly say Im NOT happy with the Software but I still believe the Hardware is Good.

You are not the first person to be disappointed with the software included with a Hauppauge product. This is a common complaint with Hauppauge. The good news is, their TV tuner hardware is generally highly-regarded by consumers and well-supported by third-party applications (notably, mythTV, BeyondTV, SageTV, and gbPVR, among others).

The HD PVR seems to fall in this same category. If you're looking for Hauppauge (or even ArcSoft) to give you the software you really want, you're looking in the wrong place.
post #551 of 3831 Old 01-21-2009, 03:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFC View Post

2. Can the OEM version be updated? I found a newer version of TME on the ArcSoft website (2.1.6.120), but after downloading, it wouldn't let me install.

The OEM version can be updated--do it from inside the program. Go to Start->All Programs->ArcSoft TotalMedia Extreme->Product Updates. If you're already up-to-date, it'll say so.

Quote:

4. Is the OEM TMT version crippled? I thought TMT could play Blu-ray and HD discs, but so for this version just ignores them.

Yes, different OEM editions may have different capabilities. The OEM version that comes with the HD PVR does not include BD playback support. You can upgrade to a version that includes BD and HD-DVD playback for $40.
post #552 of 3831 Old 01-21-2009, 04:49 PM
SFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by jruhnke View Post

The OEM version can be updated--do it from inside the program. Go to Start->All Programs->ArcSoft TotalMedia Extreme->Product Updates. If you're already up-to-date, it'll say so.

Yes, different OEM editions may have different capabilities. The OEM version that comes with the HD PVR does not include BD playback support. You can upgrade to a version that includes BD and HD-DVD playback for $40.

Thanks jrunke:

I had tried the TME > Product Updates before and never got a window - turns out it was putting it on my other monitor (not active at the time). Just tried again with a single monitor and found an update - am downloading now.
post #553 of 3831 Old 01-21-2009, 05:07 PM

Just received a new 1212, Rev E1, have it hooked up and working generally OK, using it with a Mac and new version of EyeTV. But seems like no matter what the input frame rate, I am getting 60 fps out of the thing. Is there some way to make sure the 1212 outputs the same frame rate that it is receiving?
post #554 of 3831 Old 01-22-2009, 01:17 AM

I wanna post some positive results.
Tonight just messing around, I set up the titan tv account (which I had already) to go with the win tv scheduler. In the titan tv page I just picked the win tv generic PVR, and last night I had already setup the IR blaster to go with my DirectTV H20 tuner. I taped the IR sender to my tuner at the receiver eye and that was that. Now to schedule recording of shows I just open up the titan tv web page and click the show and hit the record button. I scheduled 4 shows to record today and the first one kicked off without a hitch. Since my Dell Slim sits under the TV, I just leave it comp on and let it record while Im out. When I get home from work Ill have a bunch of shows to check out. Its doing a great job so far. Yeah I wish it could record in the background but its no biggie to minimize the window if you need to. I have beyond TV on another computer for broadcast tv but this is cool for everything else including playstation stuff too.
I do know that I have way better success with my new quad core dell with vista 64 than I did with my old XP computer. On XP together with the 1212, Id get freeze ups. On the new dell that hasnt happened yet. On my laptop I also didnt have any issues with freezing, it also has Vista and 4 gigs of ram, with a dual core processor. The more powerful the better I think.

TheDon T.H.G.
post #555 of 3831 Old 01-22-2009, 02:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my armed redoubt deep in the mountains of northern Ohio
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgarth View Post

4) The HD recordings come out way too soft and bleached, I am surprised that the unit cannot make a perfect duplicate of the original component signal.

? You can't be serious. Recording from an analog jack, even 1080i, is going to result in some degree of degradation. What you suggest is impossible.

Add in compression and you have further degradation.

The unit, when set to the highest bitrate, produces output that is sharp and crisp. I have not seen any "beaching" effect at any bitrate.

Nothing compares to a firewire recording (zero degradation) but this unit does a decent job with component.

42" in the dining room.
50" in the bedroom
80" in the living room

65" in the family room
106" in the family room

"There is another system"

Video Modes: SDTV-EDTV-XGA-HDTV-3D
All HD Modes: Blu Ray, HD DVD, DVHS

post #556 of 3831 Old 01-22-2009, 07:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star56 View Post

? You can't be serious. Recording from an analog jack, even 1080i, is going to result in some degree of degradation. What you suggest is impossible.

Add in compression and you have further degradation.

The unit, when set to the highest bitrate, produces output that is sharp and crisp. I have not seen any "beaching" effect at any bitrate.

Nothing compares to a firewire recording (zero degradation) but this unit does a decent job with component.

Well, I wouldn't say nothing compares to firewire. The R5000 from Nextcom uses USB2, but, like firewire, it captures the digital signal. There's no degradation. The R5000 is a better solution than the Hauppauge 1212 in terms of image quality, but it doesn't work with all devices.

Joe Clark

post #557 of 3831 Old 01-22-2009, 04:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my armed redoubt deep in the mountains of northern Ohio
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Clark View Post

Well, I wouldn't say nothing compares to firewire. The R5000 from Nextcom uses USB2, but, like firewire, it captures the digital signal. There's no degradation. The R5000 is a better solution than the Hauppauge 1212 in terms of image quality, but it doesn't work with all devices.

Agreed.

42" in the dining room.
50" in the bedroom
80" in the living room

65" in the family room
106" in the family room

"There is another system"

Video Modes: SDTV-EDTV-XGA-HDTV-3D
All HD Modes: Blu Ray, HD DVD, DVHS

post #558 of 3831 Old 01-23-2009, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marketsage View Post

I got a Rev D2 unit in December.
After almost a month of trying everything I can think off - I can't get rid of the audio-video sync problems. .....

An update to this severe lip-sync problem on all my recordings - I contacted Hauppage Tech Support.

According to the tech, the culprit is Verizon FIOS cable boxes:

Motorola QIP6416-2 + QIP6200-2 and he claims that I need to upgrade to the 7xxx series.

This seems weird since we are dealing with analog component inputs so as a test, I did a test recording using a PS3 unit. Lip sync was perfect.

The Tech was not able to explain why this is so, but he claims that their engineers are aware of the issue. A Bummer - as I wanted to use the PVR to time-shift shows to my laptop for my long commutes.

Anybody wants to guess what's with the signal from those boxes that causes so much grief to the 1212? All my TVs, amps work just fine with those existing cable boxes - so I don't know a way to convince Verizon to upgrade those cable boxes.
post #559 of 3831 Old 01-23-2009, 07:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Are the lip sync issues a constant offset? Or do they vary? If they were a constant offset, you could probably remux it in tsmuxer, etc.. and set the audio delay, but it's probably not that simple.

Does anybody have one of these recordings maybe a 3 to 5 minute clip on the web, I'd like to take a look at it and see if there is any rhyme or reason to the sync between audio and video?
post #560 of 3831 Old 01-23-2009, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebkell View Post

Are the lip sync issues a constant offset? Or do they vary? If they were a constant offset, you could probably remux it in tsmuxer, etc.. and set the audio delay, but it's probably not that simple.

Does anybody have one of these recordings maybe a 3 to 5 minute clip on the web, I'd like to take a look at it and see if there is any rhyme or reason to the sync between audio and video?

It always starts in-sync, and then builds up so that its about 300ms-500ms off after a few minutes. It then varies between a 0.2 to 1 second the rest of the recording. It seems like the the video compressing inside the 1212 is constantly reseting and this causes it to fall behind, and sometimes it catches up a bit but falls behind again. I don't see an easy way to remux the stream since the delay is always changing.

The PS3 component outputs produces rock stable audio/video sync so I think the QIP 62xx is to blame here. I do see occasional glitching from the Verizon FIOS boxes.

I don't have a way to serve the file which is quite large even for a 5 minute clip - but thanks for the offer.
post #561 of 3831 Old 01-23-2009, 02:48 PM

HD PVR and PS3.

Has anybody successfully played back a HD PVR recording on the PS3 with 5.1 surround sound? It seems on my PS3, version 2.53 broke my 5.1 surround sound from video files. My friend has the same PS3 and his is at version 2.30 and the files play audio. Version 2.60 that just came out this week didnt fix the issue. It happens with all of my past recordings that have been on the PS3 for 1-2 years. I first noticed it with new recordings from the 1212, and then discovered that it was all my other recordings that came from other places. Im thinking that it doesnt work on 2.60 or 2.53. But I cant be certain until I hear from others.

By the way, the combination of a HD PVR 1212 and a WD HD Media Player is sweet. I have one of those units too. Only cost 100 bucks.

TheDon T.H.G.
post #562 of 3831 Old 01-23-2009, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marketsage View Post

An update to this severe lip-sync problem on all my recordings - I contacted Hauppage Tech Support.

According to the tech, the culprit is Verizon FIOS cable boxes:

Motorola QIP6416-2 + QIP6200-2 and he claims that I need to upgrade to the 7xxx series.

This seems weird since we are dealing with analog component inputs so as a test, I did a test recording using a PS3 unit. Lip sync was perfect.

The Tech was not able to explain why this is so, but he claims that their engineers are aware of the issue. A Bummer - as I wanted to use the PVR to time-shift shows to my laptop for my long commutes.

Anybody wants to guess what's with the signal from those boxes that causes so much grief to the 1212? All my TVs, amps work just fine with those existing cable boxes - so I don't know a way to convince Verizon to upgrade those cable boxes.

i just switched from comcast to fios and have 2 qip7100 units........i made my first 2 recordings today with spdif 5.1 and saw no audio problems with a D2 unit.........tomorrow i'll test with my C1 unit

as for delays on analog, sometimes there can be different clocks used for audio/video that can cause problems, so it could be how the 7100 boxes use audio/video clocks vs. the 6200 series

on a slightly different topic, for fixed bit rate recording, what bit rates are folks using to maximize recording quality for each resolution? i am going to experiment with that but was wondering if others have reached any conclusions
post #563 of 3831 Old 01-23-2009, 06:16 PM

Quote:

I wanna post some positive results.
In the titan tv page I just picked the win tv generic PVR

What is the exact name in Titan TV? I cannot find any "win tv generic" that you mentioned (or any generic for that matter). I would love to get Titan TV working... Thanks!
post #564 of 3831 Old 01-23-2009, 08:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat6man View Post

for fixed bit rate recording, what bit rates are folks using to maximize recording quality for each resolution?

By definition, recording quality improves with higher bit rates. To maximize the quality, maximize the bit rate.
post #565 of 3831 Old 01-24-2009, 03:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 58
I may have misunderstood this, but I can't seem to be able to power on/off the HDPVR using the remote, I have to use the front panel switch.

I returned the first one I got because I believed the remote was broken, but the store says they tested the remote and it was working. They sent me a completely new unit anyway, but it has the exact same problem.

Nothing at all happens when I use the remote - no reaction from the HD-PVR whatsoever.

Can anyone help?

Thanks
politby
post #566 of 3831 Old 01-24-2009, 08:02 AM

The remote included is for use with 3rd party software.
post #567 of 3831 Old 01-24-2009, 10:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by politby View Post

I may have misunderstood this, but I can't seem to be able to power on/off the HDPVR using the remote, I have to use the front panel switch.

I returned the first one I got because I believed the remote was broken, but the store says they tested the remote and it was working. They sent me a completely new unit anyway, but it has the exact same problem.

Nothing at all happens when I use the remote - no reaction from the HD-PVR whatsoever.

Can anyone help?

Thanks
politby

Not powering on/off via the remote is by design. Pretty annoying...
post #568 of 3831 Old 01-24-2009, 03:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 58
I can NOT believe this is the case.

I just plugged in my HD-PVR, with component video and optical audio input connected to my Sky STB. Optical audio output goes to my AVR. I do not have the component output connected since video goes from the STB via HDMI to my AVR.

I find that I get no audio on the optical output if the capture software (Total Media Extreme) is not running!

Not only does the HD-PVR have to be powered on (which is stupid in itself since it cannot be powered on/off with the remote), I also have to be running software on the PC in order to get optical audio out.

Wasn't the optical supposed to be loop through? I was expecting it to send the optical input through to the output by default. Or do I have to have a video output connected to the device in order for it to activate the optical output?

If this is how it works, it makes the device pretty useless since it makes my STB unusable by itself - the HD-PVR breaks my audio signal chain!

Isn't there some software I can run on the PC to control it outside of TME?

thanks
/politby
post #569 of 3831 Old 01-24-2009, 09:48 PM
AVS Special Member

The HD PVR does NOT have to be in capture mode for optical passthrough to work. Plenty of folks on this thread, including myself, can confirm this because they use it that way every day.

If I recall correctly, though, I *did*, have to launch TME one time and select the digital audio connection as if I were going to make a recording. The optical signal was passed to my AVR as soon as I made that selection, and I immediately quit TME. Passthrough audio has worked fine ever since; I simply leave my HD PVR on all the time.

Also, make sure that you have nothing plugged into the red/white analog audio jacks. The HD PVR doesn't like to have both audio sources connected, and if you do, that could be causing your trouble.
post #570 of 3831 Old 01-24-2009, 10:40 PM

Seems like unlike most people I have had no problems. That is until I upgraded TME tonight.
Now when I use the WinTvScheduler I get this error message for the capture module. "The device is not available, or being used by another application. Please close any applications using that may be using this device and try again". Anyone else have this problem.
Reply Home Theater Computers

Tags
Hauppauge 1212 Hd Pvr High Definition Personal Video Recorder

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page