Hauppauge HDPVR-1212 Owner's Thread - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
post #631 of 3863 Old 02-07-2009, 12:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Excellent.....makes sense. I'll have to look around for a reliable program that will do that. Tried using DVD Flick to burn but it choked on it. Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 3863 Old 02-07-2009, 01:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzball View Post

Excellent.....makes sense. I'll have to look around for a reliable program that will do that. Tried using DVD Flick to burn but it choked on it. Any suggestions?

try media converter that came with TME
post #633 of 3863 Old 02-07-2009, 03:49 PM

I tried recording component HD output from Apple TV onto my Hauppauge HD PVR. All I get is a white blank screen, while non HD movies and tv shows record fine. Has Apple found a way to enforce DRM on the component output from their Apple TV, I thought it was not possible.
post #634 of 3863 Old 02-07-2009, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikknightt View Post

try media converter that came with TME

Looking at that now. Doesn't look like any choices will output mpg2. The closest I see is the output for Sony PS3 is 1280x720 mp4. Maybe dvd flick can handle that. I tried video redo plus and it didn't like the .ts file and neither did HDTV2MPG. Is there something strange about these HDPVR generated .ts files. When I capture with an old MYHD card video redo and dvdflick have no problem with those streams. Of course one is a .ts and the other is a .tp Does anyone know the difference or could I just change the extension??
post #635 of 3863 Old 02-07-2009, 08:11 PM

Just in case anyone else was interested I found this on the other HDPVR thread....post number 1808. This is what I was looking for. You have to go up to File->New Project->DVD to get away from the default setting of "create AVCHD disc"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak3883
Just select"DVD-Video" disc.

Ok I found it. I had to select "New Project" and then DVD from the file menu. By default it comes up AVCHD. Not very obvious but I still feel kinda dumb.

Thanks for the help.
post #636 of 3863 Old 02-07-2009, 09:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:

Just in case anyone else was interested I found this on the other HDPVR thread....post number 1808. This is what I was looking for. You have to go up to File->New Project->DVD to get away from the default setting of "create AVCHD disc"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak3883
Just select"DVD-Video" disc.

Ok I found it. I had to select "New Project" and then DVD from the file menu. By default it comes up AVCHD. Not very obvious but I still feel kinda dumb.

I'm glad you found it, I'm actually not that far along in my HD PVR testing yet. (rma'ed mine) But I thought the answer would be there somewhere. I'm glad you told me.
post #637 of 3863 Old 02-08-2009, 12:56 AM

Works great.....although with regular dvd the first disc I tried only had audio out of the left channel. SWitched to PCM out on the audio and trying again. Burned the 3D Chuck episode along with the super bowl 3D commercials and the Springsteen halftime show all recorded at max constant bitrate and that filled an entire dual layer dvd in AVCHD mode. Looks great with no audio sync problems at all. Did this all on a Core i7 920 machine. Editing with TSPE....Hoping videoredo comes thru soon. Had my doubts about this HDPVR when I first got it but now I think it's goona be a great little addition to the HTPC. Even started copying some old family VHS tapes thru the front inputs. Still experimenting with bitrates for those. Think I'll go max all the way since storage is so cheap these days.

By the way got mine from Amazon about 5 days ago and it's a D2 version. Don't hear a fan but there are vents in the bottom. Heat does not seem to be a problem at all. Most problems I've seen so far seem to be Arcsoft related....

That's about 80 minutes on a dual layer for AVCHD. About 20 minutes of that was from a MYHD capture card so YMMV

Scott
post #638 of 3863 Old 02-08-2009, 01:03 AM

Would this work.....think I'll try it when I get a chance.....

Wii component out to HDPVR. HDPVR passthru to receiver. Receiver upconvert to 1080p to TV. Then I guess you could record your gaming sessions????
post #639 of 3863 Old 02-08-2009, 01:23 AM

hahahaha.....my daughter just rearranged her room and had the dvd player's cables messed up. DD and PCM both play just fine on her 5 year old player hooked directly to the TV.
post #640 of 3863 Old 02-08-2009, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikknightt View Post

I'm glad you found it, I'm actually not that far along in my HD PVR testing yet. (rma'ed mine) But I thought the answer would be there somewhere. I'm glad you told me.

I stumbled across something kinda neat. There is a "download this thread" link for these forums. I did that and saved it to a text file. (all 3872 posts!!) Then search the text file for whatever words you think will work. It goes straight to the entire post and you can read it without clicking any other links. Fast and easy to search and read many posts in a short time. (even if you're away from your internet connection)

Scott
post #641 of 3863 Old 02-08-2009, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhnj View Post

In my opinion the best AVCHD editor I have tested is the TS Packet Editor.
Works perfect with Hauppauge .TS capture files & TME AVCHD Authoring(no re-encoding).
Free unrestricted 45 day trial can be downloaded from
http://www.bitstreamtools.com/

I agree...I'm sold on it. While patiently waiting for videoredo....
post #642 of 3863 Old 02-08-2009, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadwoman View Post

I tried recording component HD output from Apple TV onto my Hauppauge HD PVR. All I get is a white blank screen, while non HD movies and tv shows record fine. Has Apple found a way to enforce DRM on the component output from their Apple TV, I thought it was not possible.

I get HD that is 720p 60fps from my AppleTV. Wish there were a way to get the unadulterated 24 fps, but I guess the Apple TV only outputs 60 fps for NTSC.
post #643 of 3863 Old 02-08-2009, 01:36 PM

hey everybody... new here, I'll probably go back and read this whole thread, but for now here are my experiences to date w/ the 1212:

I have had my 1212 for several months now and have been pretty happy w/ the results overall.

I'm currently running the 1.0.5.3 on a C2 rev box. Had some problems initially, most of which have been worked out with either the FW or software patches.

I've had experience recently w/ 3 different types of motorola DVR boxes:

DCT3416 phase 1 - current Comcast box (of about 4 or so over the years), records 5.1 and 1080i fine on the 1212.

QIP7216 (don't remember the phase) - this was the box for my recent FiOS install, the recording compatibility w/ the 1212 was ok, but had several crashing issues that appear to be related that the 7216 is a piece of **** box after doing more research. It was not only corrupting recordings but it also was skipping the audio/video on playback (even seen on my HDTV) that was causing havoc with my 1212. Have since returned that box.

QIP6416 phase 2 - my new box from FiOS, overall seems stable, the optical audio works fine w/ my receiver, however it causes issues w/ my 1212 in that it has this like jittery/skipping audio that sounds horrible. For now it works ok w/ the RCA inputs for L/R, so I'm going to use that for now.

I did some reading on my current skipping optical but not sure what to do. There are some references that it is a known HW issue w/ the 1212 of older revs (like mine?) and that though the "fixes" can maybe cause other problems like video sync issues??
post #644 of 3863 Old 02-08-2009, 09:21 PM

I've got a 3416 Phase one with Charter cable here in St. Louis. Seems to work fine. In this thread as well as the other HDPVR thread seems like I've seen quite a few reporting problems with FIOS. Wish I had more info. See my post above about time saving searches on these threads. Search Comcast, Verizon or FIOS and should bring up many posts on this subject. Good luck!!
post #645 of 3863 Old 02-09-2009, 11:34 AM
cai
Advanced Member

I have read a good portion of the postings in this thread, but have not come up with an answer to my problem.

I have the HDPVR hooked to a FIOS Motorola 6xxx using the component connections for video and the SPDIF for sound. I know that to make use of the SPDIF capabilities one has to disconnect the RCA connections. However, I always get a big lipsynch timing problem when I use the SPDIF and try to play the .TS file with either VLC or WMP. This happens with Vista 32, 64 and Windows 7. The only recordings that seem to work fine are recordings using svideo and RCA.

Does anyone have a solution for this problem.

Marketsage may have hit on the culprit for this problem. I have found that if I process the .ts file with TMPEG 4.0 to output a .mpg file, I am able to get the lipsynch to be OK or at least minimal where the file is viewable - that is coming from a component video and RCA sound input. When I use the SPDIF sound input nothing seems to fix the problem. I will check the issue with Total Media tonight.

By the way, I tried to install the Vista Codec pack to Windows 7 and it would not install, however, it has messed up the sound in this OS. Does anyone know how to return this system to the original codecs or condition - without having to re-install it?

Thank you,

cai
post #646 of 3863 Old 02-09-2009, 11:41 AM
cai
Advanced Member

Quote:

I stumbled across something kinda neat. There is a "download this thread" link for these forums. I did that and saved it to a text file. (all 3872 posts!!) Then search the text file for whatever words you think will work. It goes straight to the entire post and you can read it without clicking any other links. Fast and easy to search and read many posts in a short time. (even if you're away from your internet connection)

Scott

Where on the page is this feature? I looked but could not find it.

Thank you

Thank you,

cai
post #647 of 3863 Old 02-09-2009, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxx_play View Post

hey everybody... new here, I'll probably go back and read this whole thread, but for now here are my experiences to date w/ the 1212:

I have had my 1212 for several months now and have been pretty happy w/ the results overall.

I'm currently running the 1.0.5.3 on a C2 rev box. Had some problems initially, most of which have been worked out with either the FW or software patches.

I've had experience recently w/ 3 different types of motorola DVR boxes:

DCT3416 phase 1 - current Comcast box (of about 4 or so over the years), records 5.1 and 1080i fine on the 1212.

QIP7216 (don't remember the phase) - this was the box for my recent FiOS install, the recording compatibility w/ the 1212 was ok, but had several crashing issues that appear to be related that the 7216 is a piece of **** box after doing more research. It was not only corrupting recordings but it also was skipping the audio/video on playback (even seen on my HDTV) that was causing havoc with my 1212. Have since returned that box.

QIP6416 phase 2 - my new box from FiOS, overall seems stable, the optical audio works fine w/ my receiver, however it causes issues w/ my 1212 in that it has this like jittery/skipping audio that sounds horrible. For now it works ok w/ the RCA inputs for L/R, so I'm going to use that for now.

I did some reading on my current skipping optical but not sure what to do. There are some references that it is a known HW issue w/ the 1212 of older revs (like mine?) and that though the "fixes" can maybe cause other problems like video sync issues??

The problem with optical spdif out of the Motorola 6416 has nothing to do with the HD-PVR, there are MANY devices that are unable to decode the digital audio out that receiver. The 7xxx series fixed that problem, but they do have the occasional hiccup (supposed to be fixed in next firmware, whenever that happens).

Roy
post #648 of 3863 Old 02-09-2009, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by cai View Post

Where on the page is this feature? I looked but could not find it.

Thank you

At the top of this page, there is a thread tools towards the top right, click it and that is one of the selections.
post #649 of 3863 Old 02-09-2009, 09:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by cai View Post

I have read a good portion of the postings in this thread, but have not come up with an answer to my problem.

I have the HDPVR hooked to a FIOS Motorola 6xxx using the component connections for video and the SPDIF for sound. ... I always get a big lipsynch timing problem when I use the SPDIF and try to play the .TS file with either VLC or WMP. ...

Does anyone have a solution for this problem.

Reference reply #644 immediately prior to your post:
Quote:

In this thread as well as the other HDPVR thread seems like I've seen quite a few reporting problems with FIOS. Wish I had more info. See my post above about time saving searches on these threads. Search Comcast, Verizon or FIOS and should bring up many posts on this subject. Good luck!!

Short answer: As documented in many posts on the two HD-PVR threads, FIOS boxes have a known problem with audio/video synch. There is no solution at this time.
post #650 of 3863 Old 02-09-2009, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jruhnke View Post

Reference reply #644 immediately prior to your post:Short answer: As documented in many posts on the two HD-PVR threads, FIOS boxes have a known problem with audio/video synch. There is no solution at this time.

Call Verizon and tell them you are having problems with spdif audio from the stb and they will ship you the 7xxx replacement for free. It works.
post #651 of 3863 Old 02-09-2009, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwalker View Post

Call Verizon and tell them you are having problems with spdif audio from the stb and they will ship you the 7xxx replacement for free. It works.

Not to diverge back too much into the 72xx vs. 64xx, BUT... the optical out may work, but that 7216 has a whole boatload of other problems that I could not live with. Even just basic DVR functions were broken like corrupted recordings, repeated skipping audio/video (even on HDMI), and occasional remote issues (accepted button commands but did not execute them). All known issues w/ the 72xx that still exist from what I've seen of them happening to me w/ in just the first couple days of having the box (installed late Jan 2009).

Since it was even skipping in general it was at least causing similar optical audio hiccups as the 6416 does on my 1212 recorder, but the 72xx STB was even WORSE off IMO because it just skipped in general (only optical on the 64xx, RCA audio works fine). Plus all the other DVR issues on the 72xx makes it a bad solution for right now in my book.

I'd highly recommend sticking with the 6416 at least until the major basic DVR functions get their bugs worked out on the 7216 (if Verizon/Moto get into gear). Hopefully they'll fix it soon, but from what I've seen these problems have been out there for a while and still no solution.

Too bad, because I had enjoyed having the 5.1 support for the 1212 when using my 3416 from Comcast.
post #652 of 3863 Old 02-09-2009, 11:15 PM

Apologies if this has already been discussed....I wanted to keep just bits and pieces of certain recordings that were on my DVR. Instead of capturing the whole thing and then editing later thought I would just FF to the part to keep then capture to save some work. When using FF while viewing the Arcsoft capture module the video would freeze after a few seconds even though the DVR was still fast forwarding so I could never tell exactly where I was at. Finally figured out a little workaround for this problem. My SXRD Sony and I'm sure many other HDTV's are capable of PIP. Mine uses a split screen to show 2 different TV inputs (although the right side is analog only). I ran an s-video cable from the DVR to another input on the back of the TV and displayed the computer input on the left and DVR s-video on the right. I can now FF the DVR and stop it where I would like by watching the right half of the TV and then when I pause the DVR the Arcsoft preview screen catches up a few seconds later. Makes it a lot easier and saves the trouble of editing later. Once again sorry if this was already discussed but thought it help if anyone was having the same problem...

Scott
post #653 of 3863 Old 02-10-2009, 09:33 AM

Just got a reply from Arcsoft about the capture module repair file. I think this is the one about the device not being available or being "in use". This is a good link right now.

Responser(Joe) 2/9/2009 11:23:11 PM

Hello Scott,
Thank you for contacting us.
Regarding your issue, could you please download the patch from the following FTP:
ftp://FAQ_guest:Lni1!os@hz-ftp.arcso...e_NoFilter.zip
Unzip the file and put it to c:\\program files\\arcsoft\ otalmedia extreme\ otalmedia studio mv
We hope this helps. Please feel free to contact us if there is any other question. Your information will be appreciated.
Thank you.

Regards,
ArcSoft Support
post #654 of 3863 Old 02-10-2009, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marketsage View Post

I saw that when I did some tests recordings on the PS3. Turns out that the PS3 was connected to a different wall jack, and the 'horizontal noise bars' was caused by a ground loop. Moved all components to the same AC power outlet and the noise vanished.

I just now noticed this yestersay and saw a wave on one of my captures in the dark scenes and everything is on the same wall outlet.
post #655 of 3863 Old 02-10-2009, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhnj View Post

With the TME OEM Version 1.0.9.6 & 1.0.5.3 Hauppauge Driver I have captured, edited
& made many AVCHD discs on DVD+R & DVD+R Dual Layer with perfect results. I do not burn directly from TME. I burn the TME BDMV structure made by TME on hard disc to DVD with ImgBurn.

Ive have done exactly the same thing but when i play my created disc on my Samsung Blu ray player the audio is out of sync everytime. What causes this?
post #656 of 3863 Old 02-10-2009, 05:47 PM

Can anyone help me? Ive stayed up very late the last few nights trying to burn a disc that will play correctly. I have captured HD footage with the Hauppauge 1212 through the component video and spdif audio ports(footage plays perfectly with Total Media off the hardrive). then i used TSsplitter to divide the files then i created an AVCHD disc using Total Media Extreme onto Ri-Data DVD-R to play back on my Samsung BD1500 blu ray player(it only plays DVD-R). The video on the dvd disc is perfect and plays fine but the audio is slightly out of sync. When the actors speak there mouths move but the sound is off just enough to notice. I have burned test discs repeatedly using both the PCM and Dolby AC3 burn selections on Total Media and have the same problem. I even tried to record footage using the RCA audio inputs to see if i had an issue with the SPDIF. Same result everytime. The video looks great, the audio is just slightly off. Please!!! Someone help me. Arcsoft sent me a link for a patch but i burned another disc and same problem!
post #657 of 3863 Old 02-11-2009, 04:03 AM

I would recommend that you use the software described below to edit, cut,join & auto repair your capture files from the Hauppauge HD PVR.
In my opinion the best AVCHD editor I have tested is the TS Packet Editor.
Works perfect with Hauppauge .TS capture files & TME AVCHD Authoring(no re-encoding).
Free unrestricted 45 day trial can be downloaded from
http://www.bitstreamtools.com/
post #658 of 3863 Old 02-12-2009, 11:06 AM

Hey Guys, I just got my 1212 yesterday and it was an E1 from Newegg. I'm moving my way through this thread to learn as much as I can from all of you. I have a quick question that I figure I know the answer to but I'll ask it anyway. In regard to the 5.1 and optical. I'm assuming that you just need one cable to connect your DVR ( i have a DTV HR-20 ) and the Hauppauge 1212. And the audio would than be transfered to the HTPC via the USB cable. Is that correct, I started over thinking things a few minutes ago and wondering If I would than take the optical out to my optical in on my motherboard.

Thanks to anyone that can clear that up, I'm looking forward to getting going with this device and figuring the ins and outs of it.
post #659 of 3863 Old 02-12-2009, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwalker View Post

I called Verizon yesterday. Tech Support stated that they are aware of lipsync issues with the 6xxx series - and will ship me 7xxx series as replacements. Today, UPS delivers two units of 6xxx -

Called Verizon again. This time, tech-support transfers me to Sales and had to deal with a uptight, rude lady who insisted that there are no such thing as 7xxx units. I tried to explain it that the 7xxx are the newer replacement units being deployed to new customers but she still claims that she does all the ordering for Verizon NJ and such units do not exist and that techsupport and the rest of verizon are simply wrong - she knows better

Getting nowhere, I called again to another FIOS dept - this time a courteous, knowledgeable person took my call ( what a breath of fresh air ) This rep explained that currently there was no way in the system to indicate what model is to be shipped from their warehouse (its only by type - DVR, HD, SD ) and chances are I'll get another 6xxx unit since they still have lots of those units around. My best option is to arrange for a pickup replacement at the nearest Verizon office. He contacted the closest office - they only have the 7100 HD rx, they're out of 7200 DVRs at the moment.

This is still better than nothing so I'm going to pick the replacment 7100 rx tomorrow and can test it with the HD-PVR.

For those of you who are late to this thread, my D2 level HD-PVR is currently a brick since it has a severe lip-sync problem with the Motorolo QIP-6xxx series of FIOS cable boxes on both analog + optical inputs. A 7xxx series cable box is reported to fix this issue.
post #660 of 3863 Old 02-12-2009, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marketsage View Post

Called Verizon again. This time, tech-support transfers me to Sales and had to deal with a uptight, rude lady who insisted that there are no such thing as 7xxx units. I tried to explain it that the 7xxx are the newer replacement units being deployed to new customers but she still claims that she does all the ordering for Verizon NJ and such units do not exist and that techsupport and the rest of verizon are simply wrong - she knows better

Getting nowhere, I called again to another FIOS dept - this time a courteous, knowledgeable person took my call ( what a breath of fresh air ) This rep explained that currently there was no way in the system to indicate what model is to be shipped from their warehouse (its only by type - DVR, HD, SD ) and chances are I'll get another 6xxx unit since they still have lots of those units around. My best option is to arrange for a pickup replacement at the nearest Verizon office. He contacted the closest office - they only have the 7100 HD rx, they're out of 7200 DVRs at the moment.

I had someone in FiOS sales at the 800 number try to thoroughly convince me that the 6416 only did SD "because that's what it's listed as on the computer" lol

it really does depend on what they have at the local office, you can maybe ask what the 2nd nearest one is, may be a further drive but they may be able to have what you want.
Reply Home Theater Computers

Tags
Hauppauge 1212 Hd Pvr High Definition Personal Video Recorder