post #721 of 3861 Old 03-05-2009, 10:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHDTV? View Post

First thing I would is download the latest drivers and firmware from Hauppauge for your box.

Second, I have seen tendencies of it locking up a process in windows and so you can't use it again. I usually have to reboot (my computer and the PVR just in case), but that happens like 10% of the time. I have not experienced your issue as I always unplug my USB devices after I'm done.

I still love what this device can do.

Hope that helps.

I can't believe you mentioned this, I just had my first time ever of having rctvcap lock up, I've probably captured 150 or 200 different shows, and tonight when the capture finished it hung and I could not kill rctvcap. I had to push the reset button on the PC. Everything was working, but I could not stop rctvcap and could not close the dos window it was in, the recording finished and the recording was fine, but I could not stop rctvcap at all.

I think I had a small glitch just as the recording finished, and it put it in some kind of limbo that it would not come out of whatsoever.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 3861 Old 03-05-2009, 10:40 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHDTV? View Post

First thing I would is download the latest drivers and firmware from Hauppauge for your box.

Second, I have seen tendencies of it locking up a process in windows and so you can't use it again. I usually have to reboot (my computer and the PVR just in case), but that happens like 10% of the time. I have not experienced your issue as I always unplug my USB devices after I'm done.

I still love what this device can do.

Hope that helps.

I'll be home in about 5 hours from work, and I'll check on those ideas. I appreciate it. The few caps I did looked really good. I was enjoying tinkering with the options to find the best bitrate/quality ratio for these caps. I already downloaded the newest firmware and applied it before making the first cap, so that is done. I'll turn everything off, and start it all up one by one, and see if I can get this thing turning again.

Thanks.
post #723 of 3861 Old 03-06-2009, 04:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I haven't read through this whole thing but I just picked mine up from Dell and it came yesterday. I can't WAIT to start using it.

I know that didn't contribute much but thanks in advance for everyone's experience and comments thus far!

"I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built, and it is terrific." - Michael Caine, on Jaws the Revenge
post #724 of 3861 Old 03-06-2009, 06:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by F34R View Post

I'll be home in about 5 hours from work, and I'll check on those ideas. I appreciate it. The few caps I did looked really good. I was enjoying tinkering with the options to find the best bitrate/quality ratio for these caps. I already downloaded the newest firmware and applied it before making the first cap, so that is done. I'll turn everything off, and start it all up one by one, and see if I can get this thing turning again.

Thanks.

Yeah, definitely download those drivers and firmware for the PVR and the software update from Arcsoft (when you run TM it should have a icon in your quick start to say and right click & update). I think the drivers/firmware out of the box does not have the 5.1 audio capture and those new ones do, so at least you want to get those.
post #725 of 3861 Old 03-06-2009, 11:12 AM

Well, it's a Rev D2. The first thing I did was update everything before even capturing anything.

I am in the tech support queue right now, so we'll see.

[edit]

Well, the unit is dead. Less than 20 mins out of the box lol. I guess it's bad luck. I read an amount of reviews of people getting bad units, but I guess that is how it goes with anything right.

I got an RMA number, so I'll send it off Monday I guess. I'm a little upset about all of this. I have to pay to ship them a defective product. I guess the cheaper price at amazon won't be paying off this time lol.
post #726 of 3861 Old 03-06-2009, 11:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebkell View Post

I can't believe you mentioned this, I just had my first time ever of having rctvcap lock up, I've probably captured 150 or 200 different shows, and tonight when the capture finished it hung and I could not kill rctvcap. I had to push the reset button on the PC. Everything was working, but I could not stop rctvcap and could not close the dos window it was in, the recording finished and the recording was fine, but I could not stop rctvcap at all.

I think I had a small glitch just as the recording finished, and it put it in some kind of limbo that it would not come out of whatsoever.

Yes, I recall seeing the exact same thing a couple of weeks ago. Only thing that helped at that time was resetting the PC. But as you mentioned it's apparently a rare case. I don't use rctvcap anymore, so I probably won't run into this anymore in the future...
post #727 of 3861 Old 03-06-2009, 11:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Anybody create discs to playback on their PS3?
I find that Blu-ray discs created with TsMuxer won't FF at 10x on the ps3 but authoring a disc with TME will. (TME even goes 30x)

Any thoughts on that?
post #728 of 3861 Old 03-06-2009, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico66 View Post

Yes, I recall seeing the exact same thing a couple of weeks ago. Only thing that helped at that time was resetting the PC. But as you mentioned it's apparently a rare case. I don't use rctvcap anymore, so I probably won't run into this anymore in the future...

What are you using now? I've been extremely pleased with rctvcap, It's taken me months to get my routine down, but I'm finally doing pretty much what I want with the HDPVR, I re-encode nearly everything I record with it. I think covering the IR receiver with electrical tape has really cut down on the errors I used to get randomly with the HDPVR.
post #729 of 3861 Old 03-06-2009, 12:11 PM
Advanced Member

When you experts get a chance, how about a brief how-to about using rctvcap. Some of us would really like to try it.

Thanks!
post #730 of 3861 Old 03-06-2009, 12:25 PM

Okay, any update on using it with Windows 7? I've seen one person simply reply it didn't work, however, I know that Windows 7 doesn't play nice with TMT. If I use another capture program instead, will the 1212 work with 7 or has no one tried that yet?
post #731 of 3861 Old 03-06-2009, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timpanogos View Post

When you experts get a chance, how about a brief how-to about using rctvcap. Some of us would really like to try it.

Thanks!

Just read http://blog.arogan.com/2008/06/haupp...odel-1212.html and see how far you get.
post #732 of 3861 Old 03-06-2009, 12:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timpanogos View Post

Good luck with that. I've asked and nobody ever does.
I tried that website and didnt get it.
post #733 of 3861 Old 03-06-2009, 12:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikknightt View Post

Good luck with that. I've asked and nobody ever does.
I tried that website and didnt get it.

Download:
http://www.arogan.com/rcTVCap.zip
and
http://www.arogan.com/rcGraphBuilder.zip

unzip them into a directory, use rcTVCap for the name if you like:
run the rcGraphBuilder to create a graph file, (I haven't used this program, but remember the name of the graph file you create and where it's at)

Unzip the rcTVCap.zip file in the same directory:

change to this directory and from the command line: run this command
rcTVcap "[the name of the graph file you created]" "File Dump" 60 "TestCapture.ts"

the above command line should record whatever is hooked up to the hdpvr and create a recording named TestCapture.ts in the same directory that you put rctvcap in, it will record for 60 seconds, then stop. If you can play it, it worked.
post #734 of 3861 Old 03-06-2009, 02:15 PM
Advanced Member

Thank you sir. Woohoo! Experimentation time!
post #735 of 3861 Old 03-06-2009, 02:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VampyreGTX View Post

Okay, any update on using it with Windows 7? I've seen one person simply reply it didn't work, however, I know that Windows 7 doesn't play nice with TMT. If I use another capture program instead, will the 1212 work with 7 or has no one tried that yet?

I have the HD-PVR connected to a machine running Win7, and I successfully installed both the Hauppauge drivers and the TME software that came with the PVR, then upgraded both once I had the machine connected to the Internet. I have gone as far as launching TME and verifying that I could get a preview window, but I haven't actually recorded anything with it, yet.

I'll try to remember to do that final test this weekend, and post back here with results.
post #736 of 3861 Old 03-06-2009, 04:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

What are you using now? I've been extremely pleased with rctvcap, It's taken me months to get my routine down, but I'm finally doing pretty much what I want with the HDPVR, I re-encode nearly everything I record with it. I think covering the IR receiver with electrical tape has really cut down on the errors I used to get randomly with the HDPVR.

SageTV, which works really great, especially on the TV/HDPVR integration side. rctvcap is definetly good, probably the best solution, if tv guide integration is not an issue, but at some stage I thought having a complete dvr/media solution, which also allows live tv watching wouldn't be too bad.
I also tried MediaPortal and GBPVR beforehand (thinking I could get a cheap way out), but neither of this worked sufficiently. MediaPortal was among other things a major pain to setup, especially on the tv side, and GBPVR, while OK to setup, would quickly corrupt it's database.
With Sage on the otherhand, I have now a complete solution, which is working great. Only drawback there was the setup, but that can be mastered in the end, and the music part, which I personally don't like that much.
post #737 of 3861 Old 03-06-2009, 07:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico66 View Post

With Sage on the otherhand, I have now a complete solution, which is working great. Only drawback there was the setup, but that can be mastered in the end, and the music part, which I personally don't like that much.

And I use Record_This to manage 2 HDPVRs using 2 copies of rcTVCap to record off 2 D* sat boxes. All this driven off the Schedules Direct site for full automatic scheduling.
post #738 of 3861 Old 03-06-2009, 08:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jruhnke View Post

I have the HD-PVR connected to a machine running Win7, and I successfully installed both the Hauppauge drivers and the TME software that came with the PVR, then upgraded both once I had the machine connected to the Internet. I have gone as far as launching TME and verifying that I could get a preview window, but I haven't actually recorded anything with it, yet.

I'll try to remember to do that final test this weekend, and post back here with results.

I did some short (~5 min) caps with TME tonight, and they worked fine.
post #739 of 3861 Old 03-07-2009, 05:36 AM

Can anyone figure out why the PVR does not work with stream sites like JTV or ustream and also doesnt with with 3rd party cam software like superwebcam or webcammax? I wanted to play my games in HD while I stream but nothing works.
post #740 of 3861 Old 03-07-2009, 05:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grahm View Post

Can anyone figure out why the PVR does not work with stream sites like JTV or ustream and also doesnt with with 3rd party cam software like superwebcam or webcammax? I wanted to play my games in HD while I stream but nothing works.

You'll have to be more descriptive than that.

In general, the box should capture any component video input you plug into it. It doesn't capture video that's playing on your PC (unless you're outputting your PC video as a component video signal into the HD-PVR...is that what you're doing?).
post #741 of 3861 Old 03-07-2009, 06:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by F34R View Post

I got an RMA number, so I'll send it off Monday I guess. I'm a little upset about all of this. I have to pay to ship them a defective product. I guess the cheaper price at amazon won't be paying off this time lol.

Don't return it to Hauppauge, return to Amazon. They'll give you an advance replacement and pay shipping both ways. Just log onto your order and follow the prompts for returning a product.

Ron
post #742 of 3861 Old 03-07-2009, 08:10 AM

First off, thank you very much for your work!

I'm having a problem running rctvcap - I get an error "couldn't find dump filter in filter graph: file dump"

I used the rcgraph builder.

Can you help me with that? programming dummy here.

Quote:

Download:
http://www.arogan.com/rcTVCap.zip
and
http://www.arogan.com/rcGraphBuilder.zip

unzip them into a directory, use rcTVCap for the name if you like:
run the rcGraphBuilder to create a graph file, (I haven't used this program, but remember the name of the graph file you create and where it's at)

Unzip the rcTVCap.zip file in the same directory:

change to this directory and from the command line: run this command
rcTVcap "[the name of the graph file you created]" "File Dump" 60 "TestCapture.ts"

the above command line should record whatever is hooked up to the hdpvr and create a recording named TestCapture.ts in the same directory that you put rctvcap in, it will record for 60 seconds, then stop. If you can play it, it worked.

post #743 of 3861 Old 03-07-2009, 08:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimifelipe View Post

I'm having a problem running rctvcap - I get an error "couldn't find dump filter in filter graph: file dump"

I'm not positive, it's been so long, but did you type in "file dump" or "File Dump", it may be case sensitive, it may not be, but I'm thinking it is, try that, if that doesn't work, report back.
post #744 of 3861 Old 03-07-2009, 09:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimifelipe View Post

Just checking, but does the graph play (=no errors) in Graphedit?
post #745 of 3861 Old 03-07-2009, 09:45 AM

I'm putting off buying a new computer until Win 7 becomes available OEM, so I am wondering if my existing laptop would be good enough for capturing video off a satellite box with the HDPVR 1212, and then using the included software for editing the captured files. I presumably would be off-loading the playback to a WD player (WDAVN00) since the Hauppauge website says that it is playback that requires the high-spec hardware.
My laptop specs are:
Win XP
1.4 GHz single core Celeron CPU
760 MB RAM
128 MB on-board video RAM
1024 x 768 native res. monitor
On-board sound
USB 2.0 - 3 ports
post #746 of 3861 Old 03-07-2009, 08:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by SillyConVal View Post

I'm putting off buying a new computer until Win 7 becomes available OEM, so I am wondering if my existing laptop would be good enough for capturing video off a satellite box with the HDPVR 1212, and then using the included software for editing the captured files. I presumably would be off-loading the playback to a WD player (WDAVN00) since the Hauppauge website says that it is playback that requires the high-spec hardware.
My laptop specs are:
Win XP
1.4 GHz single core Celeron CPU
760 MB RAM
128 MB on-board video RAM
1024 x 768 native res. monitor
On-board sound
USB 2.0 - 3 ports

That was the spec for playback. I email Hauppauge about my labtop and they said it was okay. All the recordings that I made for my HDTV broadcast recordings were fine. I have a Dell 8600, which has a 1.7Ghz Pentium Moble with XP. I put in 1 GB of ram. Maybe you should email Hauppauge to find out.
post #747 of 3861 Old 03-07-2009, 08:44 PM

My trusty D1 unit died the other day. I got almost 6 months of use out of it. The unit worked perfectly recording HD cable broadcasts using rcTVCap.

Too bad the build quality on these units is so suspect. I hope the replacement unit works as well as the D1 unit did and lasts longer than 6 months!

Thank God that football season is over.
post #748 of 3861 Old 03-08-2009, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jruhnke View Post

You'll have to be more descriptive than that.

In general, the box should capture any component video input you plug into it. It doesn't capture video that's playing on your PC (unless you're outputting your PC video as a component video signal into the HD-PVR...is that what you're doing?).

What I'm trying to do is plug my Xbox 360 into the PVR and have it stream so I can play my games in HD while I stream the content thats being played. The problem is that the majority of webcam software that is usually needed to do this always gives a error when you select the PVR. Flash Media Encoder does this as well.
post #749 of 3861 Old 03-08-2009, 08:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grahm View Post

What I'm trying to do is plug my Xbox 360 into the PVR and have it stream so I can play my games in HD while I stream the content thats being played. The problem is that the majority of webcam software that is usually needed to do this always gives a error when you select the PVR. Flash Media Encoder does this as well.

Ah, I see.

My guess is, you're not going to find anything that will support what you are trying to do. The datastream the HD-PVR spits out looks nothing like the datastream a webcam spits out. Even "high resolution" webcams output a stream that can pretty easily be streamed as-is across a broadband connection.

The hi-def stream your HD-PVR is providing your PC is not suitable for streaming as-is. You'd need a "middleware" application to ingest the HD-PVR stream, transcode it on the fly to a format suitable for streaming, and then provide *that* output as an input to your webcam streaming software.

I doubt such a transcoder exists.
post #750 of 3861 Old 03-09-2009, 08:36 AM

oh ok. thanks for the info jruhnke.
Reply Home Theater Computers

Tags
Hauppauge 1212 Hd Pvr High Definition Personal Video Recorder

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version