Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 3831 Old 08-17-2008, 07:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncinsguy View Post

fan was working on the card not sure if it's spinning at the correct speed or not though if that's even possible...i picked up a ati hd3450 and it has a heat sink and better yet a hdmi port i'm about to install it now.

the new card will not play more than 10 sec of any video then it stops...i've never seen a card do this...i hav eto wait til monday to call tech support...i tried TME, Sage, YouTube and Media Center and all video stops after 10 sec but the display works otherwise...and the HDMI port doesn't work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 3831 Old 08-18-2008, 04:56 AM

I got the rev C2 model. Installed the driver and appliation software from the CD (1.01b). Don't see the IR running, so I downloaded the software (ir32.exe and Irblast.exe) from Hauppauge website and install it again. The IR program does not seem to start up at boot up. I have to restart it manually using restart IR program. After the installation, I got the restart/stop IR program on my Start->All programs->Hauppauge WinTV program group. When I run the restart IR, a little remote icon shows up on my XP system tray. I then tried to use the Blastcfg program to configure the remote, it does not seem to do anything. Tried leaning mode, and it always returns an error. The red probe on the IRBlaster does not blink when I press the send channel command from the program. I tried this on two PCs, XP and Vista and got exactly the same result. Please help. Other than that, it is a great unit. It records fine and the media files plays on my IStarHD media player. Thanks in advance for anyone who may have suggestion on things that I can try.
post #63 of 3831 Old 08-18-2008, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wokwokabc View Post

I have mine plugged into the switched power outlet of my PVR. So it powers up whenever the PVR is turned on.

My C2 1212 is getting VERY hot after being on for 2+ days.
post #64 of 3831 Old 08-18-2008, 07:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by czachari View Post

My unit was very hot the first night I used it, but since it's just warm, no where near being hot and it stays on 24x7, mainly because it passes through my component output.
post #65 of 3831 Old 08-18-2008, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by czachari View Post

I keep my modded C1 unit powered 24x7, but not my C2 unit, and I think it's not a good idea to leave an unmodded C2 on all the time. Even if it "works" I would think the high temp is likely to reduce the working life of the unit.

That said, you might find you are better off better if you turn it on its side, as a number of early C1 users did.
post #66 of 3831 Old 08-18-2008, 10:10 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
I'm still getting video glitches (such as described in my 2nd post) plus out of sync audio with Media Player Classic and Window Media Player11. The audio is OK with ArcSoft TMT Player and the video glitches are somewhat reduced but noticeable...
post #67 of 3831 Old 08-19-2008, 12:20 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I talked to Hauppauge Tech Support about video glitches with the C2. According to them, the location of the fan inside the unit and the fact there are no vent holes does not matter. If your video captures have glitches, you are encouraged to send them short TS files showing those via an ftp they will make available to you. This way, they may be in a better position to evaluate the problem. I have done precisely that today.
post #68 of 3831 Old 08-21-2008, 05:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike50 View Post

I talked to Hauppauge Tech Support about video glitches with the C2. According to them, the location of the fan inside the unit and the fact there are no vent holes does not matter.

What a bunch of weasels.
post #69 of 3831 Old 08-21-2008, 10:47 AM

I just got my C2, RMA'd my C1. Had some freezing problems during recording.

Did anyone mention that the C2 revision has the blue light around the HD PVR now? It turns on when you start a recording. Didn't notice that on the C1.

post #70 of 3831 Old 08-21-2008, 02:46 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KavMan View Post

Did anyone mention that the C2 revision has the blue light around the HD PVR now?

Yes, it does and turns on while recording.
post #71 of 3831 Old 08-21-2008, 06:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Did anyone mention that the C2 revision has the blue light around the HD PVR now? It turns on when you start a recording. Didn't notice that on the C1.

I have a C2. It doesn't turn on the LEDs while recording (just the little red recoding light). Fine with me though.
post #72 of 3831 Old 08-21-2008, 08:43 PM

Does anyone know how to turn the sound off when I'm recording?

I like to watch pre-recorded shows on the same PC while recording, but I hear 2 sound tracks - the one I'm recording and the one I want to watch. I cannot find any way to turn the sound off while recording, Am I just missing something?

The second problem... Does TitanTV even work? I tried the setting TitanTV to Arcsoft and various Hauppauge devices with no luck.

I've searched both forums for this PVR and have not seen any answers for these issues.

Anyone figure either of these problems out?

Thanks !!!
post #73 of 3831 Old 08-21-2008, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Olsen View Post

Does anyone know how to turn the sound off when I'm recording?

I like to watch pre-recorded shows on the same PC while recording, but I hear 2 sound tracks

Not sure if this is a good enough solution, but if you use graphedit to record, there's no preview and so no audio.
post #74 of 3831 Old 08-21-2008, 10:38 PM

I noticed in graphedit that there are these GOP encoding options not available in the TME app that comes with the HD-PVR:

Advanced GOP 4/32/128
Simple GOP 4/32/128
Advanced No IDR GOP 4/32/0
Simple No IDR GOP 4/32/0

Has anyone tried these different settings and know if there's any actual advantage to these?

I grabbed small samples using each, and they don't seem to look different in TS Packet Editor, although TS Packet Editor does seem to cut the end point more accurately with Advanced GOP when I tried...
post #75 of 3831 Old 08-22-2008, 11:27 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

I talked to Hauppauge Tech Support about video glitches with the C2. According to them, the location of the fan inside the unit and the fact there are no vent holes does not matter. If your video captures have glitches, you are encouraged to send them short TS files showing those via an ftp they will make available to you. This way, they may be in a better position to evaluate the problem. I have done precisely that today.

Hauppauge tech rep wrote me that he did not see the video glitches of the two TS files i forwarded to him. So i sent him a still frame capture of one(showing an obvious glitch) and have not received any further comments from him...
post #76 of 3831 Old 08-22-2008, 11:57 AM

Quote:

Hauppauge tech rep wrote me that he did not see the video glitches of the two TS files i forwarded to him. So i sent him a still frame capture of one(showing an obvious glitch) and have not received any further comments from him...

If you could post the file here I'll take a look at it

http://www.rapidshare.com/
post #77 of 3831 Old 08-22-2008, 12:40 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

If you could post the file here I'll take a look at it

http://www.rapidshare.com/

Thanks KavMan I just upload it under glitch1. Any comments you may have are welcomed.
post #78 of 3831 Old 08-22-2008, 01:03 PM

Quote:

Thanks KavMan I just upload it under glitch1. Any comments you may have are welcomed.

After you upload the file, they will give you a link to post.

I can't view the file without a link
post #79 of 3831 Old 08-22-2008, 03:26 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

After you upload the file, they will give you a link to post.

I can't view the file without a link

Sorry about that. Here it is:
http://rapidshare.com/files/139361301/glitch1.TS.html
post #80 of 3831 Old 08-22-2008, 04:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I saw an obvious glitch a little over 8.4 seconds into the video. It looks like the video steps backwards a frame and there's a double exposure. I saw other less obvious glitches too. Actually, exactly what you see depends on how the video is being decoded. Sometimes I see part of the frame move but not other parts (it's a panning scene). DgAvcIndex seems to have some sort of problem with the frame order. DirectShow (CoreAVC) does much better.

Have you tried using GraphEdit to record and using the Simple GOP 4/32/128 setting? I find that to be the most reliable in terms of decoding (in players and editors) on the computer.
post #81 of 3831 Old 08-22-2008, 05:14 PM

Quote:

What kind of problems are you seeing? I didn't really see anything that would alarm me. No dropped frames. At 8+ second I did see that little glitch that Wok is talking about but that could be how it was broadcast and has nothing to do with the HD PVR.

One thing that I noticed is that the volume is really low. Is all your recordings from differant channels that low too?
post #82 of 3831 Old 08-22-2008, 06:06 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

I saw an obvious glitch a little over 8.4 seconds into the video. It looks like the video steps backwards a frame and there's a double exposure. I saw other less obvious glitches too. Actually, exactly what you see depends on how the video is being decoded. Sometimes I see part of the frame move but not other parts (it's a panning scene). DgAvcIndex seems to have some sort of problem with the frame order. DirectShow (CoreAVC) does much better.

Have you tried using GraphEdit to record and using the Simple GOP 4/32/128 setting? I find that to be the most reliable in terms of decoding (in players and editors) on the computer.

Thank you for your comments. I'm not familiar with GraphEdit. Is it as easy to use as Arcsoft TME?
post #83 of 3831 Old 08-22-2008, 06:21 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

What kind of problems are you seeing? I didn't really see anything that would alarm me. No dropped frames. At 8+ second I did see that little glitch that Wok is talking about but that could be how it was broadcast and has nothing to do with the HD PVR.

One thing that I noticed is that the volume is really low. Is all your recordings from differant channels that low too?

Thank you for your comments. I see intermittent jitter, flashes and, at the bottom of the screen, a multicolour horizontal line such as shown below. The broadcast was fine. The vol is low with Arcsoft Player, but OK with Media Player Classic(MPC). However, the video glitches are worst with MPC...
LL
post #84 of 3831 Old 08-22-2008, 06:47 PM

Quote:

Thank you for your comments. I see intermittent jitter, flashes and, at the bottom of the screen, a multicolour horizontal line such as shown below. The broadcast was fine. The vol is low with Arcsoft Player, but OK with Media Player Classic(MPC). However, the video glitches are worst with MPC...

I'm not seeing the problems you're seeing so it's probably a video decoding problem on your end? The horizontal line at the bottom is also not there or barely visable. Also did you max out your volume on your set top box (the one in settings)?

post #85 of 3831 Old 08-23-2008, 03:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I see intermittent jitter, flashes and, at the bottom of the screen, a multicolour horizontal line such as shown below.

Like KavMan, I see none of those problems. You likely have a playback problem.

One thing I have noticed about the HD PVR's TS files is that some programs report them as 1088 lines tall. Those extra 8 lines are the garbage at the bottom of your frame. I'm not sure why some decoders show those extra 8 lines and some don't. Or even if the reported 1088 lines is right or wrong.

You can get around this by using MPC and CoreAVC Pro. If you use MPCHC be sure to disable its internal h.264 decoder. CoreAVC has an option to crop 1088 to 1080 (it seems to do this by default when playing HD PVR TS files anyway). And this will probably get rid of your other video glitches.

Another thing to try if you have a graphics card that supports hardware h.264 decoding: try using MPCHC and enabling DXVA. It doesn't work right for me (DXVA works in Arcsoft though) but it's worth a try.
post #86 of 3831 Old 08-23-2008, 06:42 AM

Quote:

One thing I have noticed about the HD PVR's TS files is that some programs report them as 1088 lines tall. Those extra 8 lines are the garbage at the bottom of your frame. I'm not sure why some decoders show those extra 8 lines and some don't. Or even if the reported 1088 lines is right or wrong.

When I took the screenshot with the Arcsoft player of his file it came out to be 1934 x 1088. I then took it with MPCHC and it came out to be 1920 x 1080

Edit - Here's the screenshot but even with the 8 extra lines there's no horizontal garbage at the bottom or barely visable like the 1080 one.

post #87 of 3831 Old 08-23-2008, 09:54 AM

Liked: 11
For progress on the HD-PVR driver supporting Dolby Digital 5.1, check out this thread..
http://www.shspvr.com/smf/index.php?topic=11596.15

A beta tester for the new HD-PVR driver just posted some of his findings today. Sounds like the new driver is working well for him so far, capturing an entire movie from HD cable in DD5.1 without losing sync. Unfortunately it sounds like burning shows captured with DD5.1 audio to disc might be a bit problematic for awhile. The Arcsoft TotalMedia Extreme software doesn't support 5.1 audio. It downgrades DD5.1 to DD 2.0 when burning to avchd/Blu-Ray, so you'll need to use something else that does support DD5.1. The beta tester tried using TsMuxer to create a Blu-Ray structure from the captured TS file, but the resulting m2ts lost sync halfway into the movie. I'd be interested to see what happens if you try using H264TS_Cutter to edit out commercials from a TS having DD5.1. It's worked well with DD2.0 TS streams. DD5.1 might be a different story.

I hope we'll see a public release of this beta driver in the next week. I've been holding off recording concerts off the MHD network because of the lack of DD5.1. Even if I can't burn to disc, I'd at least be able to archive them to hard drive storage.
post #88 of 3831 Old 08-23-2008, 10:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Edit - Here's the screenshot but even with the 8 extra lines there's no horizontal garbage at the bottom or barely visable like the 1080 one.

Actually, if you look closely at the bottom of that image there is some garbage at the bottom of the frame -- just different garbage. The last 8 lines look like duplicates of the 1079th and 1080th lines -- or something like that.
post #89 of 3831 Old 08-23-2008, 01:39 PM

Quote:

Actually, if you look closely at the bottom of that image there is some garbage at the bottom of the frame -- just different garbage. The last 8 lines look like duplicates of the 1079th and 1080th lines -- or something like that.

Yea, I noticed something too and said not there or barely visable garbage, it's also barely visable in the 1080 one. I think Mike should uninstall all his video decoders that he has, also the Arcsoft one, then reinstall just the Arcsoft and see what happens... then maybe do CoreAVC etc... Trial and error... Don't think it would be too difficult to solve.
post #90 of 3831 Old 08-24-2008, 02:36 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Like KavMan, I see none of those problems. You likely have a playback problem.

You can get around this by using MPC and CoreAVC Pro. If you use MPCHC be sure to disable its internal h.264 decoder. CoreAVC has an option to crop 1088 to 1080 (it seems to do this by default when playing HD PVR TS files anyway). And this will probably get rid of your other video glitches.

Another thing to try if you have a graphics card that supports hardware h.264 decoding: try using MPCHC and enabling DXVA. It doesn't work right for me (DXVA works in Arcsoft though) but it's worth a try.

With MPCHC vs MPC, i got rid of the audio sync problem. However, the video anomalies are still there. MPCHC reports jitter in the hundreds of ms. Only way i found to get rid of most of the glitches is to convert the TS files into either wmv or MP4 which takes around 3hrs per Gig(not very practical for archiving whole movies).
Reply Home Theater Computers

Tags
Hauppauge 1212 Hd Pvr High Definition Personal Video Recorder

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page