Hauppauge HDPVR-1212 Owner's Thread - Page 31 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #901 of 3831 Old 04-06-2009, 07:52 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
also does anyone have a table of what filesize various bitrates produce. im tired of fiddling around trying to get a 1 hour show below the file size for a dvd ( the same for 2 hour shows on a DL) it would be nice if someone would provide suggested bitrates for 1080i and 720p channels
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 3831 Old 04-07-2009, 09:47 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I finally bought a 1212 and recorded some of the Basketball game last night as a test. I stopped it with about 8 mins to go in the half since I was just testing it out.

It turned out to be a 1.5 gig file and threw into the TME converter to see if I could get it into the preset Xbox360 format. It was stuck at 1% after about an hour.

How do you guys go about converting programs that are 2-3 hours long? Do you guys import them, split them, and then feed those parts into a converter?

I'd love to hear any practices you guys have that made your time easier achiving your recordings or converting them to the other formats.

Thanks!
post #903 of 3831 Old 04-07-2009, 11:27 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by truffleshuffle83 View Post

also does anyone have a table of what filesize various bitrates produce. im tired of fiddling around trying to get a 1 hour show below the file size for a dvd ( the same for 2 hour shows on a DL) it would be nice if someone would provide suggested bitrates for 1080i and 720p channels

Search is your friend. It's been posted.
post #904 of 3831 Old 04-07-2009, 12:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RICKPTAK View Post

After many hours of playing with Graphedit I have determined that that the problem is indeed the audio decoder. Graphedit shows that the recorded files from the HDPVR are using the Arcsoft Audio Encoder HD. The filter properties show that the default is 2 channel stereo. If I change the default to S/PDIF and play the file in Graphedit I now have Doby Digital 5.1. The only problem is the apply button is greyed out and will not allow me to make S/PDIF the default. How do I make this change permanent? I have also substituted the the Arcsoft decoder for the Microsoft MPEG-1/DD Audio Decoder and the files plays fine in DD 5.1. Again how do you make this change permanent. Why is the HDPVR using the wrong audio decoder?

Are you running Vista? Changing such filter properties requires admin rights, so make sure to run as admin (or disable UAC), when making the change. You may also use a tool like Radlight Filter Manager for the purpose of changing the merit of a filter.
Also, I'm not using the Arcsoft SW so I can't check this, but isn't it possible to change the decoder properties somewhere in that UI?
post #905 of 3831 Old 04-07-2009, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member

i just changed my comp from XP to Vista 64bit. is there anything i need to do different when i reinstall the drivers and software?

2011 SUPERBOWL CHAMPIONS- New York Giants!!!

Gamertag: GENERAL CUPKAKE
post #906 of 3831 Old 04-07-2009, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfdtv View Post

I just downloaded TSPE to edit Hauppauge's AVC captures.

Does the program offer a "cut mode" like VideoRedo, to cut a few specific sequences from the video? I may be missing something, but it only appears to offer "scene mode," requiring you to manually add every sequence you want to keep, as opposed selecting just the few sequences you want to remove.

Hi bfdtv,

There is no "cut mode" as you describe, though it may make it into a future version soon.

Timeline, Muxer and Frame accuracy are top of the priority list at the moment.

Hope that helps,

Regards,

Vent
post #907 of 3831 Old 04-07-2009, 03:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimifelipe View Post

Search is your friend. It's been posted.

and in the time you type that out you coulda just linked to the post. i did search but didnt see anything applicable

so can anyone provide the information requested please. thanks in advance
post #908 of 3831 Old 04-07-2009, 04:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I hate this goddamn device.

I got my replacement one from Hauppauge and all it keeps telling me is that another program is using the box and it cannot sync up.

My god, why can't someone just allow us to record onto BD's and be done with this crap.

"I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built, and it is terrific." - Michael Caine, on Jaws the Revenge
post #909 of 3831 Old 04-07-2009, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico66 View Post

Are you running Vista? Changing such filter properties requires admin rights, so make sure to run as admin (or disable UAC), when making the change. You may also use a tool like Radlight Filter Manager for the purpose of changing the merit of a filter.
Also, I'm not using the Arcsoft SW so I can't check this, but isn't it possible to change the decoder properties somewhere in that UI?

I already fixed it doing exactly what you suggested. I used a similiar program called Direct Show Filter Manager to change the merits of the filters. The sad thing is that when you install TME which is suppose to work with the HDPVR it installs the Arcsoft filters that don't work properly.
post #910 of 3831 Old 04-07-2009, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by truffleshuffle83 View Post

and in the time you type that out you coulda just linked to the post. i did search but didnt see anything applicable

so can anyone provide the information requested please. thanks in advance

Whiner
post #911 of 3831 Old 04-07-2009, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalfreakNYC View Post

I got my replacement one from Hauppauge and all it keeps telling me is that another program is using the box and it cannot sync up.

My god, why can't someone just allow us to record onto BD's and be done with this crap.

sorry pal

perfectly happy with mine!
post #912 of 3831 Old 04-07-2009, 08:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Does any commercial software exist, besides TSPE, that will allow one to edit AVCHD files without re-encoding?
post #913 of 3831 Old 04-08-2009, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalfreakNYC View Post

Clinton voice on. I feel your pain. Clinton voice off.
I've been watching these boards for some time now. I haven't taken the plunge yet and may not ever. Pretty clearly these devices aren't up to consumer level standards in either the hardware or the software. If you're willing to dick around endlessly you may get it to all work, maybe not. It seems you need to exchange hardware and shuffle software till ya hit some mythical sweet spot where it all comes together and then there would be endless maintenance to keep it going. I know some people have theirs working just fine but I wonder what the ratio really is. I'd be willing to bet there are more of these in the closet collecting dust than there are recording files.
My day job has me piecing together various hardware and software elements of a little different nature than this so I could probably get this thing to work if I was willing to put the time into it. I think I'd have to consider this as a hobbiest toy to take the plunge. It ain't your daddys VCR but in the end that's all it does (capture & store programming).
If you're interested in another terrific idea / black hole time sync / imature product check out NMT's (Network Media Tanks). There is a whole other group of frustrated people over there (some of which who are very happy).
At some point, when there is enough demand, some major player will bring together the best of these worlds and put a killer consumer level product on the market and make a huge pile of money. Until then we're just early adopter hobbiest struggling to get preliminary ideas (good ones) to work.
post #914 of 3831 Old 04-08-2009, 07:04 AM

I'm not sure everyone realizes it, but the files produced by the 1212 are an unusual format, they are h264 in an mpeg-2 transport stream container. The best thing to do is to remove the h264 data and place it into a more appropriate container, I prefer mkv - it is notably superior. This can be done best (in my hands) using tsmuxer and dgavcindex. For editing h264ts_cutter really really does work - but you must not make a cut at the start of the file - i.e., your first fragment must start with zero. This prevents audio sync issues, every time. After cutting, then using dgavcindex to demux the audio and video, mkvmerge can be used to (a) put the video/audio into an appropriate container, and (b) make your first cut - i.e., chop off the beginning of the video. A flawless file results.

You, as a hobbyist, will not be able to really understand what to do until you've played around with things - this is at least three pieces of unsupported freeware and if you intend to edit your files there is a learning process with only a few hard to find pieces of reading material to help you.

Last time I tried to be helpful all I got was criticism and questions about why I'd want to do what I want to do - half of which displayed complete ignorance of what I posted (i.e. the questioner had NOT read my post). If this happens again this will be the last time I try to help you guys. If you're polite and actually try to read what I type then I will answer any questions about this post.
post #915 of 3831 Old 04-08-2009, 07:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Does any commercial software exist, besides TSPE, that will allow one to edit AVCHD files without re-encoding?

H264TS_Cutter. But, I think TSPE is better. You can also use TSMuxer or TSRemux to cut beginning/end points, but as you don't see a preview, you're doing so blindly.
Quote:
i just changed my comp from XP to Vista 64bit. is there anything i need to do different when i reinstall the drivers and software?

I have Vista 32bit, but I assume the process is the same. I'd install the first Beta driver w/5.1 as others recommended to me (link) instead of the latest. Then, you'd install TME off the CD.
Quote:

I feel your pain. Mine's working fine (I have an E1 version), except for some stutters during capture. But, I agree this is far from a perfect device. I'm going to try using rcTVCap w/KLToolBox, which is a GUI for it, this weekend. But, the whole building the capture graph stuff is over my head, so I'm hoping all one has to do is extract the contents of the zip downloads for rcTVCap & KLToolBox in the same folder and just run KLToolBox to capture? Or, do you need to build this graph thing?

HD Media Keen Videosaurus
post #916 of 3831 Old 04-08-2009, 07:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brajesh View Post

H264TS_Cutter. But, I think TSPE is better. You can also use TSMuxer or TSRemux to cut beginning/end points, but as you don't see a preview, you're doing so blindly.

I have Vista 32bit, but I assume the process is the same. I'd install the first Beta driver w/5.1 as others recommended to me (link) instead of the latest. Then, you'd install TME off the CD.

I feel your pain. Mine's working fine (I have an E1 version), except for some stutters during capture. But, I agree this is far from a perfect device. I'm going to try using rcTVCap w/KLToolBox, which is a GUI for it, this weekend. But, the whole building the capture graph stuff is over my head, so I'm hoping all one has to do is extract the contents of the zip downloads for rcTVCap & KLToolBox in the same folder and just run KLToolBox to capture? Or, do you need to build this graph thing?

You gotta build that graph thing.

Read this post, it has an interesting note about the rcgraphbuilder, registering the filedump filter is probably more critical than anything else.
post #917 of 3831 Old 04-08-2009, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Okay. I read the post you linked. No idea what this means though...
Quote:

It took an hour to get rcGraphBuilder to work. Graphs wouldn't build until I manually got filewriter.ax from the Arcsoft installation folder, and registered it manually using regsvr32 filewriter.ax

Do you copy filewriter.ax from the Arcsoft installation folder into the same folder as rcTVCap & KLToolBox? Then, "register" it? No idea how you register a file.

So, to build a graph, do you then run rcGraphBuilder, choose various settings as desired and save the .grf file (which KLToolBox will point to)? Do you click 'Save Graph' or 'Build HD PVR Capture Graph'? Thanks.

HD Media Keen Videosaurus
post #918 of 3831 Old 04-08-2009, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Do you copy filewriter.ax from the Arcsoft installation folder into the same folder as rcTVCap & KLToolBox? Then, "register" it? No idea how you register a file.

So, to build a graph, do you then run rcGraphBuilder, choose various settings as desired and save the .grf file (which KLToolBox will point to)? Do you click 'Save Graph' or 'Build HD PVR Capture Graph'? Thanks.

I'm no help, I've never used rcGraphBuilder, you need to ask your questions to the original poster in that thread, I think most of us got it working a long time ago and it basically just worked. I installed TME, so I had the File Dump filter already somewhere, but I can't remember any details and I was blindly following instructions on the blog, it worked and I had no problems, which is good for me, but bad for troubleshooting(I didn't have to do any)
post #919 of 3831 Old 04-08-2009, 03:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Registering works as mentioned above, just run regsvr32.exe %file%. The location of the filter does not matter, you can copy it anywhere. I specifically said %file%, because the original instructions (from ARogan) referred to filedump.ax, whereas another filter is apparently used in these new instructions.

I personally think that it's not so difficult to built these graphs without rcgraphbuilder, especially considering that you probably only need 1 (HD) or 2 (for HD and SD) graph(s). ARogan's original instructions do work (but you have to follow all the details). It's a onetime deal, and even if you want to create multiple graphs, you can create copies of the original one and modify those, which is pretty straight forward.

Oh yes, and you will need to start over, if you ever replace (RMA) your unit ...
post #920 of 3831 Old 04-09-2009, 11:38 AM
Advanced Member

I got rcgraphbuilder to work once I gave up on it and started down the path of doing it manually. I think one of the steps in the grapheditor method is required to get the rcgraphbuilder method to work. Since they were devised in revere order, this would be easy to miss in the instructions.
post #921 of 3831 Old 04-09-2009, 11:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonW747 View Post

I got rcgraphbuilder to work once I gave up on it and started down the path of doing it manually. I think one of the steps in the grapheditor method is required to get the rcgraphbuilder method to work. Since they were devised in revere order, this would be easy to miss in the instructions.

Could you be a little more vague? Could you be a little more specific, or give your thoughts/ponderings on what you think the problem was. People want a howto, but the more experiences that are reported the more info can be assimilated in trying to figure out what goes wrong or right.

The included recording software with the Hauppauge is a CPU hog, and the rcTVCap method is great as far as CPU usage is concerned, it can run on about any PC with USB 2.0 without breaking a sweat.
post #922 of 3831 Old 04-09-2009, 12:21 PM

^ I can be more vague...

It's been several months now, but I could never get the graphbuilder tool to work. It always errored out on me. So I just tinkered with Graphedit and built the graph manually. It wasn't really all that difficult (though it looked a bit daunting initially).
post #923 of 3831 Old 04-09-2009, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bretski View Post

^ I can be more vague...

It's been several months now, but I could never get the graphbuilder tool to work. It always errored out on me. So I just tinkered with Graphedit and built the graph manually. It wasn't really all that difficult (though it looked a bit daunting initially).

The only real problem with graphedt is that you have to run it down or install some overblown SDK to obtain it. Everything else is openly available with no restrictions. I don't think graphedt is that hard to use either, but some people seem to have a real problem with it.
post #924 of 3831 Old 04-09-2009, 06:23 PM

Regarding no digital audio passthru:

I do have the power on and the video passthru works fine.
I use the digital optical line to my receiver's digital optical port. No sound though.
Is there something else to do?

Thanks
post #925 of 3831 Old 04-10-2009, 09:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elrodvt View Post

Regarding no digital audio passthru:

I do have the power on and the video passthru works fine.
I use the digital optical line to my receiver's digital optical port. No sound though.
Is there something else to do?

Thanks

Does analog audio passthrough currently work? If that's the case then you will need to switch to digital, which can be a bit tricky.
I think you can do this within TME, but it also works within Graphedit (by changing the audio pins within the crossbar).
post #926 of 3831 Old 04-10-2009, 01:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebkell View Post

Could you be a little more vague? Could you be a little more specific, or give your thoughts/ponderings on what you think the problem was.

That's the trick, right? When something eventually starts working, it's hard to say what did the job.

But if you look at the steps under the graphedit instructions, there's really only two things that effect the system as a whole:

1) run regsvr32 proppage.dll (as administrator if you are under vista)
2) run regsvr32 filedump.ax (if you can find it somewhere under the TME folders)

Other than having the correct version of .net installed, doing one or both of those are likely the key.
post #927 of 3831 Old 04-10-2009, 01:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico66 View Post

Does analog audio passthrough currently work? If that's the case then you will need to switch to digital, which can be a bit tricky.
I think you can do this within TME, but it also works within Graphedit (by changing the audio pins within the crossbar).

Right, normally you would just select digital audio with TME and it will switch and stay switched (no more analog passthru).

It's really too bad they couldn't design passive listening in to the product such that the HD-PVR could just be powered off while passthru occurred on all inputs.
post #928 of 3831 Old 04-10-2009, 02:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonW747 View Post

That's the trick, right? When something eventually starts working, it's hard to say what did the job.

But if you look at the steps under the graphedit instructions, there's really only two things that effect the system as a whole:

1) run regsvr32 proppage.dll (as administrator if you are under vista)
2) run regsvr32 filedump.ax (if you can find it somewhere under the TME folders)

Other than having the correct version of .net installed, doing one or both of those are likely the key.

yeah, I think those are the main keys to everything. If you install the Arcsoft software, I think the filedump.ax probably gets registered, and the proppage.dll is only needed to allow you to change the bitrate settings, and the GOP settings, which other than Simple GOP and the other settings can be set throught the Arcsoft software. The biggest problem with the Arcsoft seems to be the way it takes over the audio codec, that and it can totally consume the CPU in preview mode.

Of course, I'm speculating a lot also, arogan's intention was to avoid having to deal with the Arcsoft TME completely, but it's hard to totally separate what is what isn't required in the installation of driver and software
post #929 of 3831 Old 04-10-2009, 02:20 PM

Has anyone been able to get this device working in the following config:

- Snapstream BeyondTV
- Cable box locked @ 720p
- Showsqueeze down to smaller mp4(h264 files)

I can record fine, but showsqueezing the 720p files results in stuttering audio and video. (in the source, not playback) Locking the box @ 1080i solves the issue, but 1080i looks horrible because it's resizing and de/re-interlacing the content.

Idears?

If I were Wilford Brimley, I'd like oatmeal that much too.
post #930 of 3831 Old 04-11-2009, 12:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I still can't get the damn thing to work. I've been sitting here for hours uninstalling and re-installing things and all i get is a black screen with no audio. NOTHING from my cable box to the computer. Is there something I can check that I might have screwed up.

If I'm not getting the black box, then I'm getting the "device is not available" error.

The thing that sucks is that, with all this back and forth with Hauppauge, my 30 days is now dead with Dell. So I'm stuck with this freakin' unit...going back and forth with Hauppauge.

"I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built, and it is terrific." - Michael Caine, on Jaws the Revenge
Reply Home Theater Computers

Tags
Hauppauge 1212 Hd Pvr High Definition Personal Video Recorder

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page