post #1081 of 3862 Old 06-26-2009, 04:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncinsguy View Post

just as i was afraid of once i turned the pc off i can't record using the toolbox anymore. it creates the batch file then it tries to open the dos screen, flashes on then goes away. no .ts file is created please help again.

Open up a cmd window and change to the directory where the bat file is and run the batch file. Then you'll see the errors and they'll remain on the screen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1082 of 3862 Old 06-26-2009, 06:18 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

somehow i got it to work, so thanks for all your help. is there a way to adjust the quality of the recording like the tme software has using the graph stuff?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebkell View Post

Open up a cmd window and change to the directory where the bat file is and run the batch file. Then you'll see the errors and they'll remain on the screen.

i have the files on my desktop, how do i change the directory?
post #1083 of 3862 Old 06-26-2009, 06:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:

i have the files on my desktop, how do i change the directory?

I can't really help you with dos, open the .bat file with notepad and add another line at this at the bottom of the file:
pause
and save the changes.

then you can double click on the bat file and it will run and pause and leave the window open, then you should be able to see what kind of error it has, then you can hit any key to end the program and the window will close.
post #1084 of 3862 Old 06-27-2009, 07:20 AM

I have my HD PVR almost a week now and I have to say I love the quality of the HD recordings you get with it.

I do however noticed few things and have few problems:

1. as I said previously the IR Blaster in not working with my Motorola DCH3200 Comcast cable box. I have tried it on 2 different computers with the same result (both computers have Windows 7). Next I'll try on the laptop with Windows XP that way I can narrow it down to a possible driver compatibility with Win 7 or maybe an incompatibility with the Motorola Box.

2. The HD PVR is very temperamental with 3rd party software and it tends to lock up and freeze the computer (computer freeze happened on a Pentium 4, never on my Core 2 Duo) so for now I stick to The TME application for recording (have tried Beyond TV and MCE with DVBLInk for HDPVR)

3. I have an issue with the scheduler on both Win 7 machines. I installed it and started it, scheduled a recording and when TME opens to start recording it gives the "device in use by another application" error. Needless to say nothing else is using the HD PVR. I really do not know what the problem could be in this case and any help would be greatly appreciated.
To be noted that if I close TME after the error and open it up manually everything is fine and the preview starts so it's only when the scheduluer starts it that I get that error.

I could live with using only the TME software for now but I really need to get the Scheduled Recording working.
post #1085 of 3862 Old 06-27-2009, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebkell View Post

I can't really help you with dos, open the .bat file with notepad and add another line at this at the bottom of the file:
pause
and save the changes.

then you can double click on the bat file and it will run and pause and leave the window open, then you should be able to see what kind of error it has, then you can hit any key to end the program and the window will close.

ok that did it. i had moved the programs from the desktop to my docs, and it was still looking to the desktop. i recorded a clip but the colors are not correct. how can i fix this? seems like the yellows is not showing up.
post #1086 of 3862 Old 06-27-2009, 07:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

ok that did it. i had moved the programs from the desktop to my docs, and it was still looking to the desktop. i recorded a clip but the colors are not correct. how can i fix this? seems like the yellows is not showing up.

jiggle your component cables

Jim White
St. Petersburg, FL
post #1087 of 3862 Old 06-27-2009, 08:07 AM

Quote:

nm about the colors. i played another file i recorded long ago and it has the same color issues so it's not in the recording. thanks for your help. it's strange though colors are only messed up in TME, looks othe videos look fine in Media center and Media Player
post #1088 of 3862 Old 06-27-2009, 08:23 PM

ran another test. recorder for 13 hours straight (85 GB file) and everything went fine. no freezes.
post #1089 of 3862 Old 06-29-2009, 02:29 PM

Just got my third unit back from Hauppauge. They sent me an E1 revision, just as promised. Hopefully this one will last longer than the other two. Out of the three months I've owned the box, I've only been able to use it for two. The other month has been RMA returns lol.
post #1090 of 3862 Old 07-01-2009, 09:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Got my 1212 today, revision E1 and all drivers/software updated automatically on my Vista PC. This baby is working great and so far, so good.
-I only use it to move recordings from my Directv DVD and burn DVDs and AVCHD disks. Didn't mess with schedulling programs and IR repeaters and have no plans to do.

-Digital audio in is working fine and no lipsync issues.

-I tested Vegas 8 Pro and Ulead VS11+ to make DVDs and not a single problem.

-AVCHD disks playing fine on PS3 and Panasonic BD30.

Quality is very good even in HD. Arcsoft programs are very buggy, as expected . Program that creates DVDs/AVCHD has a very simple "cutting room" but cuts are not smooth and cause video artifacts. That's why I use Vegas.

Standard Definition Causes Lung Cancer, Heart Disease, Emphysema, And May Complicate Pregnancy
post #1091 of 3862 Old 07-02-2009, 09:45 AM

I've been searching around for more options for decoding/encoding/cutting/etc. and found that TMPGenc 4 has support for x264 and cuts very clean. Encodes to a final product (like .mp4 in an h.264 container) take a bit longer than a program like handbrake, but you can also combine the cut/encode steps into one with this program.
I need to do some more test cuts to make sure the audio stays in sync, but so far I've found the program to have far cleaner cuts than h264ts cutter.
post #1092 of 3862 Old 07-02-2009, 11:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by fowlerbt View Post

I've been searching around for more options for decoding/encoding/cutting/etc. and found that TMPGenc 4 has support for x264 and cuts very clean. Encodes to a final product (like .mp4 in an h.264 container) take a bit longer than a program like handbrake, but you can also combine the cut/encode steps into one with this program.
I need to do some more test cuts to make sure the audio stays in sync, but so far I've found the program to have far cleaner cuts than h264ts cutter.

So it re-encodes the video? How long does that take?
post #1093 of 3862 Old 07-02-2009, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yep, but TMPGenc is not free.For the money you buy a full editor which also makes clean cut (I use Ulead VS11+).

Standard Definition Causes Lung Cancer, Heart Disease, Emphysema, And May Complicate Pregnancy
post #1094 of 3862 Old 07-02-2009, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member

I am experiencing a very unusual problem:

Open WinTV Scheduler and click on "add program".
A new window opens but the bottom 1/4 of the graphics is missing. I can't do anything because there is no way to click on any "save" or "exit".

Anybody can help me ?

post #1095 of 3862 Old 07-02-2009, 03:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimoli View Post

I am experiencing a very unusual problem:

Open WinTV Scheduler and click on "add program".
A new window opens but the bottom 1/4 of the graphics is missing. I can't do anything because there is no way to click on any "save" or "exit".

Anybody can help me ?

Found the culprit. I have my display font size (DPI) set to "large". Setting to default mode makes the whole "add to program" to show up. Now, the problem is that I can't live with the smaller DPI, makes my high resolution display too difficult to read.

I can't believe nobody had this problem before.

UPDTATE: Unchecked "use Windows XP DPI" under custom DPI and that did it. I don't know why this came checked as default...

post #1096 of 3862 Old 07-02-2009, 06:22 PM

For the record the driver that works flawlessly with my HD PVR is version 1.0.5.301 dated 3/12/2009 (came on the software cd for me and supports AC3 5.1 surround sound)

The new 1.5.6 on Huppauge's website (which btw is a beta) is garbage. It locks up/freezes my HD PVR to the point that it needs a manual power cycle.

I use my HD PVR with the ArcSoft software. I tried the DVBLink software for MCE but the HD PVR became very temperamental and was locking up and acting all screwy so I dropped that for now. I really works without hiccups with TME and the original driver.

Having said that, I still have a problem with scheduling TME to record - when it starts prompted by the scheduler it always gives the "device not available error" . Can anyone please offer some help with this? Thanks in advance.
post #1097 of 3862 Old 07-06-2009, 11:14 PM
Advanced Member

Does VS11+ have commercial detection?
post #1098 of 3862 Old 07-07-2009, 07:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikknightt View Post

Does VS11+ have commercial detection?

No, but it works pretty well with the 1212 and that's what I use to do simple cuts and burn AVCHD disks.

post #1099 of 3862 Old 07-07-2009, 11:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skpd View Post

For the record the driver that works flawlessly with my HD PVR is version 1.0.5.301 dated 3/12/2009 (came on the software cd for me and supports AC3 5.1 surround sound)
The new 1.5.6 on Huppauge's website (which btw is a beta) is garbage. It locks up/freezes my HD PVR to the point that it needs a manual power cycle.

How can you tell which hauppauge driver the 1212 is using? I think i took the one off the cd and updated it once.

I tried upgrading arcsoft to see if there are any new features for creating avchd's but it tells me that using the new hauppauge is also required.
Is there a way to downgrade to the previous versions if the new ones don't work for me? i dont see any downloads for previous versions of arcsoft...

did they add automatic chaptering to the create a disc portion of arcsoft?
thanks
post #1100 of 3862 Old 07-07-2009, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Why is my capture software limited to 13.5 mbps ? I don't have the option to set "Peak" and "average" , just the maximum bitrate at 13.5. Is it because the new software doesn't allow it ? I believe I have the latest Arcsoft software and the latest 1212 revision (E1).

post #1101 of 3862 Old 07-07-2009, 08:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Quote:

Why is my capture software limited to 13.5 mbps ? I don't have the option to set "Peak" and "average" , just the maximum bitrate at 13.5. Is it because the new software doesn't allow it ? I believe I have the latest Arcsoft software and the latest 1212 revision (E1).

Yes, in the Arcsoft forums another person mentioned that (some) of the variable sliders have been eliminated with the most recent Arcsoft firmware.

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there is no concept of "accounting for taste". We don't "pick" the level of bass any more than we get to pick the ending of a play. High fidelity is an unbiased, neutral, exact copy (or "reproduction") of the original source's tonal balance, timing, dynamics, etc..

post #1102 of 3862 Old 07-08-2009, 04:47 AM

Quote:

How can you tell which hauppauge driver the 1212 is using?

Control Panel - Hardware and Sound - Devices and Printers - Double Click on the Hauppauge Capture Device - Hardware Tab - Properties - Driver Tab
post #1103 of 3862 Old 07-08-2009, 09:01 AM

Hello all, thanks for a great forum. I recently purchased the HD PVR to archive recordings off my Dish DVR, and it works alright. The quality is a bit inferior (shades turn black), but that could have to do with the graphics card etc.

Two questions though, any help would be appreciated...

1) There seems to be connectivity issues. Whenever I turn on the computer, I have to reset (power cycle) the HD PVR for it to show up in TME. Also, if I stop the Dish DVR to say start another movie, it usually loses connectivity and again I have to restart it. No big deal, just a hassle, but is there any solution?

2) When I look at the recordings, they repeat frames 2x, then 3x, then 2x etc. Somewhere I read you can actually remove the repeated frames. Is there any tool or description to do this? Would that greatly decrease the file sizes? Maybe reduce stuttering? I am not an expert, and looking at AVIsynth just makes my head spin.
post #1104 of 3862 Old 07-08-2009, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fflintstone1 View Post

1) There seems to be connectivity issues. Whenever I turn on the computer, I have to reset (power cycle) the HD PVR for it to show up in TME. Also, if I stop the Dish DVR to say start another movie, it usually loses connectivity and again I have to restart it. No big deal, just a hassle, but is there any solution?

that is due to using the latest driver on Hauppauge's website. At least in my case that was the issue. I downgraded back to the driver that came on the installation cd and everything in fine now in that respect.
post #1105 of 3862 Old 07-08-2009, 02:05 PM

Thanks for your reply! It's more of an annoyance, so I'll wait for the next driver patch to hopefully fix it rather than downgrading. I like some of the functionality that came with the new driver, like the option to turn off the preview.
post #1106 of 3862 Old 07-08-2009, 05:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fflintstone1 View Post

Thanks for your reply! It's more of an annoyance, so I'll wait for the next driver patch to hopefully fix it rather than downgrading. I like some of the functionality that came with the new driver, like the option to turn off the preview.

With the new version of TME - did they add automatic chaptering to the create a disc portion of arcsoft?
post #1107 of 3862 Old 07-09-2009, 06:21 AM

Quote:

So it re-encodes the video? How long does that take?

Sorry I was late responding, I've still been trying to test the software some more.

The cutting/editing interface is not nearly as smooth as Video Redo or even H264TS cutter (seeking is imprecise and it's difficult to seek to specific spots- there is no 'advance 5 seconds or 1 second' option)
Once you make a cut, if you go back and test the playback of the transition, the software will let you know if there will be issues in the output. Typically you go back and cut a very small extra amount (it usually contains a keyframe, which you cut anyway) and the playback works.

Encode time was slower than average. I edited a baseball game that ended up being 3 hours, encoded at 768 x 432 with 1600 kbs vid | 96 kbps audio and it took just over 5 and 1/2 hours for my quad core 2.66 GHz processor. A similar encode on Handbrake would take less than half that time. I did force 59.94 fps on the 29.97 source, so that could have been a contributor. I also did not toggle the profile settings, which I now see would enable me to use 4.1 and adjust my b-frames and entropy coding method to CABAC - but I have not had a chance to see if that cuts down on encode time or not.

I'm going to keep fiddling with it and see if there aren't some options for smoother editing (though I doubt it).

Cuts are cleaner with TMPGenc, but right now I would give the nod to H264TS cutter -> handbrake over the all in one TMPGenc 4.
post #1108 of 3862 Old 07-09-2009, 06:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Sorry I was late responding, I've still been trying to test the software some more.

The cutting/editing interface is not nearly as smooth as Video Redo or even H264TS cutter (seeking is imprecise and it's difficult to seek to specific spots- there is no 'advance 5 seconds or 1 second' option)
Once you make a cut, if you go back and test the playback of the transition, the software will let you know if there will be issues in the output. Typically you go back and cut a very small extra amount (it usually contains a keyframe, which you cut anyway) and the playback works.

Encode time was slower than average. I edited a baseball game that ended up being 3 hours, encoded at 768 x 432 with 1600 kbs vid | 96 kbps audio and it took just over 5 and 1/2 hours for my quad core 2.66 GHz processor. A similar encode on Handbrake would take less than half that time. I did force 59.94 fps on the 29.97 source, so that could have been a contributor.

I'm going to keep fiddling with it and see if there aren't some options for smoother editing (though I doubt it).

Cuts are cleaner with TMPGenc, but right now I would give the nod to H264TS cutter -> handbrake over the all in one TMPGenc 4.

fowlerbt

What settings do you use with H264_TSCutter ? I tried almost everything but never get a clean cut. Are you using I/B ?

post #1109 of 3862 Old 07-09-2009, 08:26 AM

Quote:

fowlerbt

What settings do you use with H264_TSCutter ? I tried almost everything but never get a clean cut. Are you using I/B ?

Under Settings
-TS settings-
sync audio/video delay - yes
recalculate pts - yes
set continuity counter - yes
cut out only on idr frame - yes
drop useless - no
split - no

-gui-
use direct show - yes
use cutout video - yes
preview - 5000

-advanced-
cut in - I-frame
cut out - all frame

I have found that sometimes there are little snags that handbrake will hang up on, usually within the first second of a cut in. To avoid this, I go back and skim the first few seconds of every clip (right click, use values, then play) and check to see that there aren't any little hangs or bumps in the video that might cause a problem. 9 times out of 10 there aren't any, but most people make more than 10 cuts in a video.
post #1110 of 3862 Old 07-09-2009, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Thank you very much. I tried your settings but I still see a lot of "tiles" between cuts.

Reply Home Theater Computers

Tags
Hauppauge 1212 Hd Pvr High Definition Personal Video Recorder

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page