1Likes

post #121 of 3862 Old 08-29-2008, 09:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my armed redoubt deep in the mountains of northern Ohio
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I transferred my 1080i DVHS copy of Star Wars IV onto a single DVD+R DL last evening. Used constant bitrate of 8mbs average...13.5 peak.

Holy cow! Incredibly sharp on my 50" plasma via a PS3. A fantastic transfer.

I am in the midst of transferring The Empire Strikes Back to the hard drive. I am using VR 10.0 for this one. I assume this aill also produce an excellent outcome.

I need some more DL blanks

42" in the dining room.
50" in the bedroom
80" in the living room

65" in the family room
106" in the family room

"There is another system"

Video Modes: SDTV-EDTV-XGA-HDTV-3D
All HD Modes: Blu Ray, HD DVD, DVHS

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 3862 Old 08-29-2008, 11:27 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star56 View Post

I transferred my 1080i DVHS copy of Star Wars IV onto a single DVD+R DL last evening. Used constant bitrate of 8mbs average...13.5 peak.

I am in the midst of transferring The Empire Strikes Back to the hard drive. I am using VR 10.0 for this one. I assume this aill also produce an excellent outcome.

i get mine from Sam's Club...i can't remember how much but they have the cheapest price around here...50 disk spindle.
post #123 of 3862 Old 08-30-2008, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wokwokabc View Post

There's nothing wrong with the HD PVR's 1080i encoding. Any isses you see are in the AVC decoding or your graphics card's handling of the video (method of deinterlacing, scaling, etc).

Not that I dont believe you. I will definately be getting a videocard that has has hardware acceleration, but I have played h264 video that is 1080i from other sources and it seemed to not exhibit the same issues.
... After checking some settings it appears that with the videocard I have arcsofts decoder is not that good at deinterlacing properly. I didnt think that this card supported dxva but when I used the cyberlink decoder with dxva checked it looked much much better. Hopefully with a newer card it will look even better
post #124 of 3862 Old 09-01-2008, 01:48 PM

I've had this minor issue for awhile now, but I can't seem to take screenshots of any TS footage using the Arcsoft TotalMedia Theatre. When playing back the file, you right-click in the window and select "Capture > Capture Image". Right now, I'm doing a lame workaround (Just screen-capturing via a Paint program).

Anyone else experienced this problem?
post #125 of 3862 Old 09-01-2008, 04:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by jatoghia View Post

FYI, once it is finally released, a commercial solution might be to use Ulead Videostudio 11.5+ Currently, the software will work with the raw TS files that the HD-PVR produces, but they have no audio. This is because the Ulead software is actually expecting an AVCHD compliant video stream with DD audio, and not AAC audio. In order to edit my videos, I have to use Arcsoft to create a disc folder, just so that the audio is converted and is compatible with the Ulead software. I am actually looking forward to the new driver, as it should save me a step. Videostudio does offer NEARLY frame accurate editing, which means it recodes the video, and depending on your hardware can be very slow. I don't mind as I'm looking for a very clean way to edit out commercials.

I've been using Ulead 11.5 for awhile and just added the HDPVR 1212 to the mix.

Exactly how do you create a disc folder from the TS files with arcsoft?

Are you talking about the folder files after you burn a H.264 disc?

I would really like to get Ulead 11.5 to work with the HDPVR.

The Mod Squad: New vs. Classic TV Series Opening https://vimeo.com/63119329
post #126 of 3862 Old 09-01-2008, 04:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Star56,

Glad to see someone else having success transferring from DVHS. That was my prime reason to buy one of these boxes.

I have many DVHS tapes made before the cable companies started stuffing the pipelines degrading our HD picture.

Glad I held on to the tapes, as some of them look fantastic!

post #127 of 3862 Old 09-01-2008, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mces97 View Post

Well hopefully within the next few months hauppauge and arcsoft will work together to bring better firmware out. Till then I will be recording to 720p.

You know, I agree that the 720p looks fantastic, but I have frame skips from time to time with it. The audio will keep going, but a frame will freeze for about 1 sec, and then resume.

That is my only hang up. 1080i doesn't seem to do that, because it's running at 30fps, where 720p is running at 60fps. However, the video looks wierd. You can see the interlacing I suppose.
post #128 of 3862 Old 09-01-2008, 07:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blasst View Post

Star56,

Glad to see someone else having success transferring from DVHS. That was my prime reason to buy one of these boxes.

I have many DVHS tapes made before the cable companies started stuffing the pipelines degrading our HD picture.

Glad I held on to the tapes, as some of them look fantastic!

I have a closet full of DVHS recordings. Many of rare, never to be seen again events. I have the Sunday morning round at Augusta National from a few years ago. Was broadcast on UHD and It is flagged so I can't firewire it off. The Hauppague solves the problem.

I have been running my copying operation around the clock the last few days. The HDPVR is performing flawlessly.

42" in the dining room.
50" in the bedroom
80" in the living room

65" in the family room
106" in the family room

post #129 of 3862 Old 09-01-2008, 07:30 PM

Do the color controls like contrast, sharpening, work for anyone. When I try to use them the recorded video always looks the same.
post #130 of 3862 Old 09-02-2008, 07:16 AM

Quote:

I have a closet full of DVHS recordings. Many of rare, never to be seen again events. I have the Sunday morning round at Augusta National from a few years ago. Was broadcast on UHD and It is flagged so I can't firewire it off. The Hauppague solves the problem.

I have been running my copying operation around the clock the last few days. The HDPVR is performing flawlessly.

I'm waiting for 5.1 support before I try to recover any of my (rather small number of) 1080i DVHS tapes.
post #131 of 3862 Old 09-02-2008, 10:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Do the color controls like contrast, sharpening, work for anyone. When I try to use them the recorded video always looks the same.

They don't work for me. The boxes can't be ticked so the settings don't do anything. Both in ArcSoft's Capture Module and in GraphEdit. Maybe a driver update will enable these someday. Fortunately, the default settings are just about perfect for me.
post #132 of 3862 Old 09-02-2008, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_tom View Post

I'm waiting for 5.1 support before I try to recover any of my (rather small number of) 1080i DVHS tapes.

+1

I think I'm going to keep emailing them weekly, there is no point in transferring HD stuff with crappy 2 ch stereo only, IMO.
post #133 of 3862 Old 09-02-2008, 02:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak3883 View Post

+1

I think I'm going to keep emailing them weekly, there is no point in transferring HD stuff with crappy 2 ch stereo only, IMO.

I just talked to tech support this morning, and asked about the 5.1 support, and was told a few weeks or so......... and we know that could be tomorrow or next year. But I put in the word to keep them thinking about us.

post #134 of 3862 Old 09-02-2008, 10:19 PM

I also hope that a driver update will enable the color filters. I would especially like to use the sharpness filter. I feel the recordings are definitely a little soft.
post #135 of 3862 Old 09-02-2008, 11:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak3883 View Post

+1

My initial transfers have been material with 2.0 sound tracks (e.g. Conan from HDnet Movies). I have a bunch of stuff that is either 2.0 or the 5.1 track is poor or inconsequential.

I have a concert from Hdnet that has the worse 5.1 I have ever experienced. Screwed up imaging. It sounds better in 2.0...so off it went to Disk.

42" in the dining room.
50" in the bedroom
80" in the living room

65" in the family room
106" in the family room

post #136 of 3862 Old 09-03-2008, 09:20 AM

Quote:

I also hope that a driver update will enable the color filters. I would especially like to use the sharpness filter. I feel the recordings are definitely a little soft.

I had issues with softness, dimness, and glitches through the preview window that would show up in my recordings. I assumed it was either a heat issue with the HDPVR or a system resources issue (although CPU use never got over 40% and I had memory to spare).

After I removed my divx codec pack, both of these issues went away. Then they came back. So I unloaded the K-lite codec pack along with ffdshow, and now it runs perfectly. The recordings do look almost identical to the HDMI display.

I still have issues though, where both TTE and graphedit both lose contact with the box, requiring a power cycle. I do not need to reboot, which is good.
post #137 of 3862 Old 09-03-2008, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blasst View Post

was told a few weeks or so......... and we know that could be tomorrow or next year.

I hear it is coming out some time after Thursday.

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there is no concept of "accounting for taste". We don't "pick" the level of bass any more than we get to pick the ending of a play. High fidelity is an unbiased, neutral, exact copy (or "reproduction") of the original source's tonal balance, timing, dynamics, etc..

post #138 of 3862 Old 09-03-2008, 10:24 AM

I'm going to ask a dumb question here (as a non-owner). Do you guys use this for live HD viewing or is it just suited for capture/recording (i.e.: just use the component pass-thru)? The reason I ask is that the component inputs on my PJ are flaky and don't do well with anything but 480i, despite what the manual says (it's an older Epson 1366 x 1024 res). I currently use a vga cable for everything from the PC and the S-Video input from the Motorola STB. I've got a firewire hookup to the PC that allows me to watch *most* programs in HD using VLC, but several channels are blanked (flagged), so those have to go through the S-Video (ugh!). The other problem is that the STB won't display the menu screens over the firewire port, so I have to open a PIP window to see them. The unencrypted QAM I have covered with my HDHomerun through MCE 2005. Basically, I'm looking for something to allow me to watch those flagged HD channels live without buying a new PJ. ($200 vs. $2500) Thanks!

Bob

...there are also unknown unknowns. These are things we don't know we don't know." -D. Rumsfeld
post #139 of 3862 Old 09-03-2008, 10:23 PM

Sagetv, GB-PVR, and Beyondtv (i think ) work with the hd pvr. GB-PVR is free. It would be nice though if hauppauge released a wintv version to watch live tv with the hd pvr. Definitely kinda annoying.

Also about the glitches a few posts back. I do not have any glitches, but do notice the recordings are just a little softer than hdmi. I do not think it is do to ffdshow being on my pc.
post #140 of 3862 Old 09-04-2008, 04:57 AM

Thanks. I wonder if anyone's tried pointing VLC at it...

Bob

...there are also unknown unknowns. These are things we don't know we don't know." -D. Rumsfeld
post #141 of 3862 Old 09-04-2008, 08:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLDWV View Post

Thanks. I wonder if anyone's tried pointing VLC at it...

Yes. I couldn't get it to work.
post #142 of 3862 Old 09-04-2008, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by wokwokabc View Post

Yes. I couldn't get it to work.

Same here, the interlaced stuff just freaks it out,(and that's just a .ts file).

If I remember correctly, it just croaks and quits working after a very few seconds of playing time, and the picture is shot all to heck even when it tries to play for those few seconds.
post #143 of 3862 Old 09-04-2008, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m. zillch View Post

I hear it is coming out some time after Thursday.

Where did you hear the 5.1 driver is coming out after thursday. I am very interested as I am sure others are. I feel that hauppauge keeps delaying it and think we may never get 5.1.
post #144 of 3862 Old 09-04-2008, 12:20 PM

My interpretation of the "after Thursday" response was that of sarcasm.....or was I wrong? Maybe a "" would have have sealed the deal? Either way, i wish they'd hurry the hell up. I've recorded all the 2 channel stuff, i'm just waiting to record the 5.1 stuff. Someone had said in an earlier post that it was not possible with the current arcsoft dvd creator to burn 5.1 onto the bluray playable dvds we make.....is that indeed correct? and if so, what should we be using to do that?
post #145 of 3862 Old 09-04-2008, 01:53 PM

I personally could care less about being able to burn blurays with the arcsoft software. All my player needs are from my htpc. If hauppauge doesnt release a 5.1 driver within the next month I feel I should get a refund.
post #146 of 3862 Old 09-04-2008, 07:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by mulletpole View Post

My interpretation of the "after Thursday" response was that of sarcasm.....or was I wrong? Maybe a "" would have have sealed the deal?

Well today is Thursday and it didn't come out so I was right. It is coming out some time after today!

Actually the original joke is that I didn't say which Thursday now did I.

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there is no concept of "accounting for taste". We don't "pick" the level of bass any more than we get to pick the ending of a play. High fidelity is an unbiased, neutral, exact copy (or "reproduction") of the original source's tonal balance, timing, dynamics, etc..

post #147 of 3862 Old 09-04-2008, 09:44 PM

I have been doing comparisons of 720p and 1080i captures. I have noticed that 720p captures, even though have less resolution appear to be sharper. I am very dispointed in the 1080i captures actually. I have done some re-encodes to convert these to 720p 23.976fps and after even using sharpening filters still have a softness to them. Someone posted that they removed ffdshow which helped his problem of frame glitches and blurriness but I am sure many people have ffdshow and this would not affect how 1080i is captured since it is hardware encoding. I really hope hauupauge is hard at work to fix any bugs that could be improved.
post #148 of 3862 Old 09-05-2008, 07:35 AM

Quote:

I personally could care less about being able to burn blurays with the arcsoft software. All my player needs are from my htpc. If hauppauge doesnt release a 5.1 driver within the next month I feel I should get a refund.

I mean, it's been a loooong time.
post #149 of 3862 Old 09-05-2008, 12:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by czachari View Post

I mean, it's been a loooong time.

I never saw see anything at Hauppauge's web site or in any vendors listing that claimed it could capture 5.1 audio. I have always assumed that 2.0 is all it will ever do. If 5.1 drivers come out it will be icing on the cake.
post #150 of 3862 Old 09-05-2008, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 63
If and when it does support 5.1, will pass through only work for the optical connection? My TV doesn't have an optical in, it has one out, but nothing in, I wonder if it will pass though the optical in to the analog outs?

Has anyone tried that scenario, some of you are using the optical in, are you just passing the optical straight through?
Reply Home Theater Computers

Tags
Hauppauge 1212 Hd Pvr High Definition Personal Video Recorder

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page