1Likes

post #151 of 3862 Old 09-05-2008, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

I never saw see anything at Hauppauge's web site or in any vendors listing that claimed it could capture 5.1 audio. I have always assumed that 2.0 is all it will ever do. If 5.1 drivers come out it will be icing on the cake.

In the Hauppauge FAQ, it says: "What type of audio encoding is made with the HD PVR?

The initial release of the software will support 2 channel stereo audio only. You may still connect your SPDIF if you can change the settings of your source to PCM. You can otherwise use the composite audio inputs on the front or rear of the HD PVR to connect audio from your source.

The next release of the drivers will support AC-3 audio through the SPDIF input. This will enable full 5.1 surround sound."

http://www.hauppauge.com/site/suppor...ml?tab=5#audio
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 3862 Old 09-05-2008, 12:41 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by wokwokabc View Post

I never saw see anything at Hauppauge's web site or in any vendors listing that claimed it could capture 5.1 audio. I have always assumed that 2.0 is all it will ever do. If 5.1 drivers come out it will be icing on the cake.

I suggest you look again. In fact they promised 5.1 support long before day 1, and it was a retreat from the original product claim when they shipped the product with only 2 channel audio. The current FAQ tab at http://www.hauppauge.com/site/suppor...ort_hdpvr.html says this:

Quote:

...What type of recordings can I make with the HD PVR?

The HD PVR encodes in real time directly to the hard disk in an H.264 format with AAC audio.
Note: An software update to the HD PVR will also allow recording in a AC-3 format for surround sound audio. ...

and this:

Quote:

...What type of audio encoding is made with the HD PVR?

The initial release of the software will support 2 channel stereo audio only. You may still connect your SPDIF if you can change the settings of your source to PCM. You can otherwise use the composite audio inputs on the front or rear of the HD PVR to connect audio from your source.

The next release of the drivers will support AC-3 audio through the SPDIF input. This will enable full 5.1 surround sound. ...

Edit. I see I was little slow in my copy-and-paste operation.
post #153 of 3862 Old 09-05-2008, 12:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
This is why you NEVER buy anything based on PROMISED functionality, you buy it based on ACTUAL functionality.

This from someone who made an exception to this rule to purchase the HD-DVR - doh!

I really hope Hauppauge gets the 5.1 driver out there soon. I wouldn't be a bit surprised though if it's not for 6 months or never at all.

Surely someone has leaked the beta 5.1 drivers somewhere... I believe there are 5.1 capable Linux drivers out there (presumably someone used the beta 5.1 drivers for that). Given that the current drivers are already broken (audio sync issues with the Sage HD100 extender, and Sage has stated 100% that it's a Hauppauge driver issue), I don't see how it can hurt to release the new drivers as a public beta.
post #154 of 3862 Old 09-05-2008, 03:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pagali View Post

In the Hauppauge FAQ, it says: "What type of audio encoding is made with the HD PVR?

The next release of the drivers will support AC-3 audio through the SPDIF input. This will enable full 5.1 surround sound."

http://www.hauppauge.com/site/suppor...ml?tab=5#audio

Fair enough. Of course, it doesn't say when the next driver release will be (if ever, LOL). But seriously, I agree with chriscic: never buy a high tech product on the promise of future features. The high tech industry is full of unfulfilled promises.
post #155 of 3862 Old 09-05-2008, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wokwokabc View Post

Fair enough. Of course, it doesn't say when the next driver release will be (if ever, LOL). But seriously, I agree with chriscic: never buy a high tech product on the promise of future features. The high tech industry is full of unfulfilled promises.

Well, when one pre-orders said high tech product, everything about it is just promise of future features.
post #156 of 3862 Old 09-05-2008, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mces97 View Post

Someone posted that they removed ffdshow which helped his problem of frame glitches and blurriness but I am sure many people have ffdshow and this would not affect how 1080i is captured since it is hardware encoding.

It didn't affect the capturing itself, but rather the playback in the capture preview window and in TotalMedia. It looked dark and blurry and at times glitchy (especially during printed credits) until I removed ffdshow and the codec pack.

It's strange though -- I have some recordings that glitch in the same places when played through Total Media (and did so in the preview window) that are glitch free through MPC HC. I have no idea why.
post #157 of 3862 Old 09-06-2008, 06:31 AM

Has anyone had an issue with the unit unable to lock onto the video input?

I was having a heck of a time recording VHS tapes through the SVid input because when I would FF or REW, the unit would lose the picture. I would have to reset the unit and restart the software to get it back.

Last night, I had an issue where a very dark scene appeared to cause the unit to drop the input via component while capturing with graphedit. Today, I had graphedit bomb out because it lost the video input again.

Is there something I'm doing wrong or is this unit having issues?
post #158 of 3862 Old 09-06-2008, 08:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
I'm a HDPVR-1212 owner now. I received a C2 revision that has the buzzing little fan inside it. I don't see any ventilation slots in it. So is it just circulating the air that's inside the box?

It seems almost like a decent product, but I had higher expectations for the bundled software. A lot of time I just want to watch TV in one window while I'm web surfing etc in another, and then I'll zip it full screen when something interesting comes on. I didn't see a way to resize a live tv window in TME.

Right now I'm trying out SageTV, and consider it much better, but it has its shortcomings.

What software are you using?

Bazinga!

post #159 of 3862 Old 09-06-2008, 09:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by gorthocar View Post

What software are you using?

I use GBPVR. It was actually the first third party software to support the device.
post #160 of 3862 Old 09-06-2008, 11:15 PM

Does GBPVR allow you to play the file as it's recording and keep building the end of the file and use the transport controls?

For instance, I record ESPNHD for a three hour stretch. I start playing it after recording for an hour, skip commercials, and eventually play through to the end of the recording without stopping at the hour mark. This is the functionality I'm looking for.
post #161 of 3862 Old 09-06-2008, 11:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanson View Post

Does GBPVR allow you to play the file as it's recording and keep building the end of the file and use the transport controls?

For instance, I record ESPNHD for a three hour stretch. I start playing it after recording for an hour, skip commercials, and eventually play through to the end of the recording without stopping at the hour mark. This is the functionality I'm looking for.

Yes. You can also pause live TV and watch it as it buffers which is the same technical process.
post #162 of 3862 Old 09-07-2008, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Question for arogan or anyone that is familiar with graphedit:

In your blog you described how to create a preview for the HD-PVR, and it works great, except that I have to rebuild the demuxer pins and mapping every time I open the grf, is there any way to make them stick or ???

Here are the instructions on your blog for building the preview:

preview:
hauppauge hd pvr crossbar -> hauppauge hd pvr capture device (proppage: color settings) -> Hauppauge hd pvr encoder (proppage:encoder settings) ->
arcsoft mpeg demux (couldn't get it to work with any other demultiplexer)
create two pins: video (mpeg-2 video) and audio (mpeg-2 audio)
pid mapping: video 0x1011, audio 0x1100 both elementary stream

(video) -> arcsoft video decoder -> video renderer
(audio) -> arcsoft audio decoder -> default directsound device

It works great and when I changed the video renderer to enhanced video renderer(on my Vista Premium box). It dropped CPU usage down to practically zip, but I cannot close and reopen the graph without first adding the audio and video pins and then mapping them, is it possible or can it only be done through programming?

Also I put a Smart Tee filter between the PVR Encoder and Demuxer and it appears to preview and save a ts file at the same time with no problems.
post #163 of 3862 Old 09-07-2008, 01:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebkell View Post

Question for arogan or anyone that is familiar with graphedit:

In your blog you described how to create a preview for the HD-PVR, and it works great, except that I have to rebuild the demuxer pins and mapping every time I open the grf, is there any way to make them stick or ???

Save the graph after building the pins and then the next time you want to use it, just open the saved .grf file.
post #164 of 3862 Old 09-07-2008, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladd View Post

Save the graph after building the pins and then the next time you want to use it, just open the saved .grf file.

Doesn't work, that's what I said in my post, I save the file and then when I open it, the graph is intact up to the muxer, but the pins and mapping have disappeared and all the other upstream filters are just laying around open in the graph. When I remap the pins and connect it to the video of the Arcsoft encoder the graph puts itself together, but saving the graph will not preserve the muxer configuration for me.
post #165 of 3862 Old 09-07-2008, 01:40 PM

Can someone post a picture of what the preview graph should look like. It would help me in building it as I am still new to using graph edit. Thanks
post #166 of 3862 Old 09-07-2008, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Can someone post a picture of what the preview graph should look like. It would help me in building it as I am still new to using graph edit. Thanks

Oops, I posted it in the wrong thread, but here's a link to it:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...postcount=2583
post #167 of 3862 Old 09-07-2008, 02:17 PM

Thanks that was fast. If I don't want to use the smart tee filter i would just connect the hauppauge hd pvr encoder out to the arcsoft mpeg demux in and then follow the graph from there right. Also I can use ac3 filter instead of ffdshow audio decoder I would assume? Last question how do I load which video renderer to choose? Appreciated.
post #168 of 3862 Old 09-07-2008, 02:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks that was fast. If I don't want to use the smart tee filter i would just connect the hauppauge hd pvr encoder out to the arcsoft mpeg demux in and then follow the graph from there right. Also I can use ac3 filter instead of ffdshow audio decoder I would assume? Last question how do I load which video renderer to choose? Appreciated.

Yes, just drop all the Tee and connect the PVR Encoder pin to the Arc Soft MpegDemux, as far as a Video Renderer, if you're running Vista, I'd definitely recommend the EVR, it uses the Acceleration on the video card if you have a card that supports it, on XP I've heard the Video Mixing Render 9 is best, otherwise just find the Video Renderer and use it.

Oh and the audio, you can hook straight from the Arcsoft Audio Decoder straight to the Default Direct Sound if you like.
post #169 of 3862 Old 09-07-2008, 03:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Doesn't work, that's what I said in my post, I save the file and then when I open it, the graph is intact up to the muxer, but the pins and mapping have disappeared and all the other upstream filters are just laying around open in the graph. When I remap the pins and connect it to the video of the Arcsoft encoder the graph puts itself together, but saving the graph will not preserve the muxer configuration for me.
After looking at your screenshot, I realize you are using the ArcSoft MPEG demux. Try the attached grf file. It has just the MPEG2 Demultiplexer which will save with the pins. Add your HDPVR and decoders/renderers. ArcSoft does not allow settings to be saved for third party apps on anything but their video decoder. I've gone round and round with them about this regarding their audio decoder and they won't budge. I was told that the only way it would probably happen was if a major OEM customer insisted on it.

Mpg2Demux.zip 0.7080078125k . file
Attached Files
File Type: zip Mpg2Demux.zip (725 Bytes, 6 views)
post #170 of 3862 Old 09-07-2008, 03:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

After looking at your screenshot, I realize you are using the ArcSoft MPEG demux. Try the attached grf file. It has just the MPEG2 Demultiplexer which will save with the pins. Add your HDPVR and decoders/renderers. ArcSoft does not allow settings to be saved for third party apps on anything but their video decoder. I've gone round and round with them about this regarding their audio decoder and they won't budge. I was told that the only way it would probably happen was if a major OEM customer insisted on it.

Was something attached? Can you describe the steps involved? I just tried it with Mpeg2 Demultiplexer and couldn't get anything out of it, not sure how I should map the pin assignments for certain.
post #171 of 3862 Old 09-07-2008, 04:07 PM

Quote:

Yes, just drop all the Tee and connect the PVR Encoder pin to the Arc Soft MpegDemux, as far as a Video Renderer, if you're running Vista, I'd definitely recommend the EVR, it uses the Acceleration on the video card if you have a card that supports it, on XP I've heard the Video Mixing Render 9 is best, otherwise just find the Video Renderer and use it.

Oh and the audio, you can hook straight from the Arcsoft Audio Decoder straight to the Default Direct Sound if you like.

If I wanted though I could use overlay. I am using xp and I was under the impression hardware acceleration on xp can be used with the overlay renderer.
post #172 of 3862 Old 09-07-2008, 04:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Was something attached? Can you describe the steps involved? I just tried it with Mpeg2 Demultiplexer and couldn't get anything out of it, not sure how I should map the pin assignments for certain.

Sorry, I forgot the attachment and added it to the above post while you were posting. The media types have to be specifically set and it's not possible to do it with GraphEdit. I did it programatically and then attached to the running graph in order to save it.
post #173 of 3862 Old 09-07-2008, 04:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If I wanted though I could use overlay. I am using xp and I was under the impression hardware acceleration on xp can be used with the overlay renderer.

Just try different filters until you get one that works, it's pretty simple, add one if it doesn't work, disconnect it and add another, I've had graphs with filters laying all over the place disconnected, it doesn't care, just hook them up and see if they work, if not delete it and add another one, it's not like you're going to do any major changes to anything, it's just a diagram you're drawing to try to get things to work, it's not permanent. You can save a working graph and recall it later on, but it doesn't change the way the system works or anything. Someone correct me in a hurry if I'm wrong, but I'm fairly certain you're not doing anything permanent.
post #174 of 3862 Old 09-07-2008, 04:37 PM
AVS Special Member

rebkell's correct. With GraphEdit, you are simply creating a filter chain to run. No system wide changes are being made like changing the merits on your decoders. You are simply telling DirectShow to use the loaded filters in that particular instance only.
post #175 of 3862 Old 09-07-2008, 05:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Sorry, I forgot the attachment and added it to the above post while you were posting. The media types have to be specifically set and it's not possible to do it with GraphEdit. I did it programatically and then attached to the running graph in order to save it.

well, it sort of works, I can't get it to work with the ArcSoft Decoder, no video, it thinks the video is 720x480. I got it to work with the Cyberlink Encoder that came with my OEM LG Blu-ray drive, but if I open up the graph and try to play it, the audio starts and then it resets my video card and bombs out Graphedit. If I load it and disconnect the Cyberlink encoder and then reconnect it, it works. Which is kind of funny. I've tried it several times and it does the same thing. It is working, I save it and then when I open it up it faults out my video card.

Not sure what's up with the ArcSoft decoder, it says the video is 720x480 in, on my system the ArcSoft decoder has always been much more stable than Cyberlink has.
post #176 of 3862 Old 09-07-2008, 05:22 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blasst View Post

I've been using Ulead 11.5 for awhile and just added the HDPVR 1212 to the mix.

Exactly how do you create a disc folder from the TS files with arcsoft?

Are you talking about the folder files after you burn a H.264 disc?

I would really like to get Ulead 11.5 to work with the HDPVR.

IN TME go to "create avchd" under options you can check ac3 to change audio, then go to "Preview/Produce" and click burn. A screen will come up to save the project ( I always hit "no" ) the next sceen is "write disc". Under "write to" select the hard drive option. the will it open a "destination folder" option. 1 gig takes about 2 minutes or so. It will also increase the size of your file about 4.5%
post #177 of 3862 Old 09-08-2008, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_tom View Post

Well, when one pre-orders said high tech product, everything about it is just promise of future features.

I hope the 5.1 update is released eventually. I will return my HD-PVR if it doesnt come out as I dont see any point in watching hidef with 2 channel audio.
post #178 of 3862 Old 09-08-2008, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhug View Post

IN TME go to "create avchd" under options you can check ac3 to change audio, then go to "Preview/Produce" and click burn. A screen will come up to save the project ( I always hit "no" ) the next sceen is "write disc". Under "write to" select the hard drive option. the will it open a "destination folder" option. 1 gig takes about 2 minutes or so. It will also increase the size of your file about 4.5%

Thanks! Lets hope we can get the 5.1 update soon.

The Mod Squad: New vs. Classic TV Series Opening
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #179 of 3862 Old 09-08-2008, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I emailed Hauppauge support, got the following reply:

========================================
We should be having drivers released soon.. we are currently on the final
stages of testing.

Pedro Muniz
PMuniz@Hauppauge.com