Hauppauge HDPVR-1212 Owner's Thread - Page 97 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #2881 of 3861 Old 02-19-2012, 02:42 PM
Advanced Member
 
pacofortacos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 734
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 21
"^I checked them out and it looks like you would need extra cables to get everything hooked up. Their website didn't seem to user friendly."

HDfury comes with everything you need. Works very very well.
pacofortacos is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2882 of 3861 Old 02-19-2012, 03:02 PM
Member
 
materiali's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Forgive me all, I don't know why AVS doesn't let me quote... it says I'm not logged in...

---> nikknightt
"Unfortunately" it's not my case: the audio output (direct from the set top box to the back inputs on the 1212) is perfect... it's a problem now...

---> V7Goose
S/PDIF input not involved ("unfortunately" here too...): I used - and selected - the RCA back plugs audio inputs...

I found somewhere (don't even remember where, as I browsed the full Internet :-)) someone suggesting to set to "0" instead of the "3" (default) the luma and chroma settings, saying he had been told to do this by the Hauppauge support. But I should set up the system again, and now here it's midnight... so I'll do it tomorrow...
materiali is offline  
post #2883 of 3861 Old 02-19-2012, 03:14 PM
Member
 
materiali's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacofortacos View Post

"^I checked them out and it looks like you would need extra cables to get everything hooked up. Their website didn't seem to user friendly."

HDfury comes with everything you need. Works very very well.

Wow now AVS lets me quote too... good sign...

Well, I had to use another RCA cable for the audio signals, as from the HD Fury II one gets only video.
Maybe the last model has also the audio output...
materiali is offline  
post #2884 of 3861 Old 02-19-2012, 04:25 PM
 
alec32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 42
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0018LX0DY/ref=mp_s_a_1?qid=1329697385&sr=8-1

I dont really know much about stuff, and I'm wondering if this a good deal?? Thanks!
alec32 is offline  
post #2885 of 3861 Old 02-19-2012, 08:02 PM
Newbie
 
falcon2081's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quick question for you people using the HDFury device. Where do you guys get your sound from? Because the VGA to Component splitter only does the video.
falcon2081 is offline  
post #2886 of 3861 Old 02-19-2012, 08:42 PM
Member
 
materiali's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
---> alec32

I dont really know much about stuff, and I'm wondering if this a good deal?? Thanks!

Maybe not The-Deal-Of-Your-Life but good anyway: here in Italy Amazon sells it at 170,04 EUR (EUR/USD = 1,321), and in UK £149.31 (GBP/USD = 1,587). That would be 220$...


---> falcon2081

Quick question for you people using the HDFury device. Where do you guys get your sound from? Because the VGA to Component splitter only does the video.

You must take it from another audio output of the device you take the video from. You usually find a L/R RCA output, but sometimes also a S/PDIF one; and HD PVR has both the inputs.
I have the Type 2 but now they are going to start selling the newest Type 4, I don't know if it will also have built in audio outputs.
materiali is offline  
post #2887 of 3861 Old 02-19-2012, 10:17 PM
Newbie
 
falcon2081's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Edit: Nevermind turns out you can only buy it from their website. $179 is kinda steep. Let's just hope that amazon converter works, otherwise am not going to be happy spending that much for a hdfury2. SIGH.
falcon2081 is offline  
post #2888 of 3861 Old 02-20-2012, 07:32 AM
Advanced Member
 
mtallent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Cecilia,KY
Posts: 865
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon2081 View Post

Edit: Nevermind turns out you can only buy it from their website. $179 is kinda steep. Let's just hope that amazon converter works, otherwise am not going to be happy spending that much for a hdfury2. SIGH.

Which one did you order? I bought a $50 one from Amazon which did NOT work with the HDPVR but the second one I ordered for about $90 did work just fine and has stereo analog audio as well as SPDIF digital audio output, the link is--
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=5336055023-20

You don't need to buy the more expensive HDFury.

Mike T
mtallent is offline  
post #2889 of 3861 Old 02-20-2012, 08:21 AM
Member
 
ToneCmdr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 84
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello all,

Does anyone else get really bad recordings from ABC? During playback, the recordings pause for about a half sec on certain frames. I know ABC's high def is pretty bad I didn't think it would make recordings unwatchable. The problem occurs during live broadcast and on Demand. This is Comcast in Philadelphia, by the way.
ToneCmdr is offline  
post #2890 of 3861 Old 02-20-2012, 09:50 AM
Newbie
 
falcon2081's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtallent View Post

Which one did you order? I bought a $50 one from Amazon which did NOT work with the HDPVR but the second one I ordered for about $90 did work just fine and has stereo analog audio as well as SPDIF digital audio output, the link is--
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=5336055023-20

You don't need to buy the more expensive HDFury.

Mike T

Yeah I know about that converter. I did not get that one yet lol. Am going to give this one a try http://www.amazon.com/YPbPr-Componen...9518027&sr=8-8 a few people on youtube that I have talked to got this one and its been working fine for them. So I figured I would give it a shot. Knowing my luck though its probably not going to work haha.
falcon2081 is offline  
post #2891 of 3861 Old 02-20-2012, 01:30 PM
Newbie
 
cjt20one's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all - picked up my PVR just after Christmas but didn't have a chance to play with it until this past weekend.

I wanted to try to use it with WMC on a Windows 7 box but had no luck. I saw that Hauppauge released an updated driver in the Fall '11 that brought full WMC support. So I DL'd and installed my driver but that's about where I hit a roadblock lol.

A) I can't get WMC to recognize the PVR (guessing because it's a PVR and not a tuner)
B) I can't find a guide/walkthrough/tutorial anywhere on the web. Nothing.

Does anyone here have a guide (or a page number in this thread) that can help get me started? Or just save me some time and offer a much better solution than WMC? Thanks!
cjt20one is offline  
post #2892 of 3861 Old 02-20-2012, 01:35 PM
Advanced Member
 
pacofortacos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 734
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 21
"Well, I had to use another RCA cable for the audio signals, as from the HD Fury II one gets only video.
Maybe the last model has also the audio output..."

My bad, yes you do need an audio cable - I prefer to use optical but red and white would work fine also. I forgot about those, since I have so many just laying around.
pacofortacos is offline  
post #2893 of 3861 Old 02-20-2012, 01:37 PM
Advanced Member
 
pacofortacos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 734
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Or the hdfury can do optical OR analog out using the audio port on the hdfury itself - requires a mini coax adapter or cable though.
pacofortacos is offline  
post #2894 of 3861 Old 02-20-2012, 02:13 PM
Advanced Member
 
mtallent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Cecilia,KY
Posts: 865
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon2081 View Post

Yeah I know about that converter. I did not get that one yet lol. Am going to give this one a try http://www.amazon.com/YPbPr-Componen...9518027&sr=8-8 a few people on youtube that I have talked to got this one and its been working fine for them. So I figured I would give it a shot. Knowing my luck though its probably not going to work haha.

Looks like it may work, but limited to stereo sound only, I think.

Mike T
mtallent is offline  
post #2895 of 3861 Old 02-20-2012, 02:15 PM
Member
 
materiali's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quoting myself:

Quote:
Originally Posted by materiali View Post

Hi all,

great thread, I have a problem with my 1212 and I used the "search" without being able to find a solution. So I'll try asking directly.

With the component input the recording preview window of TME stays black and it seems that there is no signal in input.
Without signal also some settings don't work, like the bitrate, of course.

Well, let's start from the beginning.
I own this 1212 for about one year and I used it only few times (without any problem).
The main use is to record 1080i videos from the output of a HD Fury II device with HDMI input. But I also recorded from the front composite video input.

Today I set up my system to record some movies stored in the Hard drive of the SKY satellite decoder (here in Italy they call it "MySky, and it's built by Samsung) but the preview window remained black, and everything seemed to say that there was no input. I disconnected the component plugs and easily found that the signal from the HD Fury was OK (tested also with a tester).
I also tried with a Samsung Blu-ray player, and it was the same: the output from the HD Fury is OK but nothing passes through the 1212 to the computer.
So I tried with a SD signal from the front input, and it worked fine: the 1212, the USB connection and the TME software do work. But not with the component signal.
I tried also updating the drivers (now installed the v1.6.29353) but nothingt changed.

I had thought there was a hardware failure in the component input of my 1212 but I found on the Internet that this seems to be a "relatively" common problem.
But... the answer ? Can you help ?


Well,

I tried also changing the luma and chroma settings from the default "3" to "0" (someone on the internet said it had worked for him) but it didn't fix anything.

Ideas anyone ??
materiali is offline  
post #2896 of 3861 Old 02-20-2012, 03:48 PM
Newbie
 
falcon2081's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtallent View Post

Looks like it may work, but limited to stereo sound only, I think.

Mike T

Which is fine because I only use the PVR to record my gameplays.
falcon2081 is offline  
post #2897 of 3861 Old 02-20-2012, 08:54 PM
Advanced Member
 
pacofortacos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 734
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by materiali View Post

Quoting myself:




Well,

I tried also changing the luma and chroma settings from the default "3" to "0" (someone on the internet said it had worked for him) but it didn't fix anything.

Ideas anyone ??


What audio source are you using AND what audio source do you have selected in the software?
Also do you have preview selected in the options?

You will not get any video without the correct and working audio.
pacofortacos is offline  
post #2898 of 3861 Old 02-20-2012, 11:44 PM
Member
 
materiali's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacofortacos View Post

What audio source are you using AND what audio source do you have selected in the software?
Also do you have preview selected in the options?

You will not get any video without the correct and working audio.

Thanks to you too for the help, pacofortacos,

audio from an RCA cable connected to the stereo RCA outputs of my SKY satellite decoder and to the rear inputs of the Hauppauge.
It's the same audio I used in the front inputs when I tried in Standard Definition with video composite signal... that works fine.
Only the "component" High Definition input is affected by the problem.
And: yes, the preview option is on....
And I could add: it's not also a copyrighted program related problem: I tried with the HDMI output of my Blu-ray unit reading a DVD with my own program: always the same... there is signal at the HD Fury outputs but the preview window remains black.

I said this is a relatively common problem because I found on Youtube several videos about this black window in the preview of the Total Media Extreme software.
materiali is offline  
post #2899 of 3861 Old 02-21-2012, 01:29 AM
Advanced Member
 
nikknightt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: L.A.
Posts: 757
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by materiali View Post

Thanks to you too for the help, pacofortacos,
audio from an RCA cable connected to the stereo RCA outputs of my SKY satellite decoder and to the rear inputs of the Hauppauge.
It's the same audio I used in the front inputs when I tried in Standard Definition with video composite signal... that works fine.
Only the "component" High Definition input is affected by the problem.
And: yes, the preview option is on....
And I could add: it's not also a copyrighted program related problem: I tried with the HDMI output of my Blu-ray unit reading a DVD with my own program: always the same... there is signal at the HD Fury outputs but the preview window remains black.
I said this is a relatively common problem because I found on Youtube several videos about this black window in the preview of the Total Media Extreme software.

Sorry if i missed this part of your explanation// Do you change the audio source in the TME preview window from rca back to rca front and vice versa?
nikknightt is offline  
post #2900 of 3861 Old 02-21-2012, 04:09 AM
Member
 
materiali's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikknightt View Post

Sorry if i missed this part of your explanation// Do you change the audio source in the TME preview window from rca back to rca front and vice versa?

Not your fault ! I am writing by now almost a kind of soap opera ! :-)

Well, I do it; and I noticed that sometimes (not always !) when I switch from "composite video" to "component video"... TME by itself switches the audio input from RCA front to RCA rear.

I think I'll also try to better see the Youtube videos where the same problem is discussed; but - being Italian - even though I write it easily, I have problems in understanding what they say in English spoken language.
Then, if nothing resolving would come from here, I'll try with the Hauppauge support (it seems that I rely upon you more than upon them :-))
materiali is offline  
post #2901 of 3861 Old 02-21-2012, 06:33 AM
Member
 
V7Goose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: DFW area, Texas
Posts: 63
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by materiali View Post

Not your fault ! I am writing by now almost a kind of soap opera ! :-)

Well, I do it; and I noticed that sometimes (not always !) when I switch from "composite video" to "component video"... TME by itself switches the audio input from RCA front to RCA rear.

I think I'll also try to better see the Youtube videos where the same problem is discussed; but - being Italian - even though I write it easily, I have problems in understanding what they say in English spoken language.
Then, if nothing resolving would come from here, I'll try with the Hauppauge support (it seems that I rely upon you more than upon them :-))

I just wanted to clarify a few things about the audio inputs with the 1212. If you are not trying to use S/PDIF audio, I do not think your problem can be audio related. On the two different 1212 boxes I use, I can disconnect ALL audio cables, and the 1212 shows a video picture just fine when I select the open front or back RCA inputs, but blank when I select the open S/PDIF.

So for your testing, I suggest you always select the FRONT RCA audio jacks (even without anything connected to them). I suggest this only because you said you did get a good picture on the 1212 while testing the front connections with a composite video input. If you finally solver the problem of blank video form the component inputs, then you can change the audio input selection to the one you actually want to use.

So your problem does seem to be either a bad 1212 box or bad component signal input. I suggest three further tests. First, cold boot the 1212 by removing the power (not just using the on/off button). Second, completely remove the HD Fury form the test by using different component inputs and different component cables. Hopefully you have a DVD or Blu-ray player with component outputs to use for this. You do not need to worry about protected content - all you care about is just seeing the device menu on the 1212 to verify any video on the component inputs.

If an alternate component video source still does not work with the 1212, the last thing I would try is a different power supply. This may be a bit harder for you to find, but just look at the plug for specifications (and pay particular attention to +/- connections on the power jack) My US power plug shows 5V, 2A, with the + on the center pin of the connector. Although it does not specifically SAY DC output, the + certainly indicates it must be 5V DC. Any other 5V DC, 2 amp power supply with the same size connector and + on the center pin should work. You can look for a universal power supply at an electronics supply store.

I have seen quite a few people who found problems with the Hauppauge power supply, and low voltage or weak current could cause some parts of the box to not work correctly and still allow you to see other signs of life. Good luck.
V7Goose is offline  
post #2902 of 3861 Old 02-21-2012, 10:07 AM
Advanced Member
 
nikknightt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: L.A.
Posts: 757
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by materiali View Post

Not your fault ! I am writing by now almost a kind of soap opera ! :-)

Well, I do it; and I noticed that sometimes (not always !) when I switch from "composite video" to "component video"... TME by itself switches the audio input from RCA front to RCA rear.

I think I'll also try to better see the Youtube videos where the same problem is discussed; but - being Italian - even though I write it easily, I have problems in understanding what they say in English spoken language.
Then, if nothing resolving would come from here, I'll try with the Hauppauge support (it seems that I rely upon you more than upon them :-))

not on mine. you choose the video input and audio input seperate. choose either spdif or rca front or rca back.
nikknightt is offline  
post #2903 of 3861 Old 02-21-2012, 11:40 AM
Member
 
materiali's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by v7goose View Post

i just wanted to clarify a few things about the audio inputs with the 1212. If you are not trying to use s/pdif audio, i do not think your problem can be audio related. On the two different 1212 boxes i use, i can disconnect all audio cables, and the 1212 shows a video picture just fine when i select the open front or back rca inputs, but blank when i select the open s/pdif.

So for your testing, i suggest you always select the front rca audio jacks (even without anything connected to them). I suggest this only because you said you did get a good picture on the 1212 while testing the front connections with a composite video input. If you finally solver the problem of blank video form the component inputs, then you can change the audio input selection to the one you actually want to use.

so your problem does seem to be either a bad 1212 box or bad component signal input. i suggest three further tests. First, cold boot the 1212 by removing the power (not just using the on/off button). Second, completely remove the hd fury form the test by using different component inputs and different component cables. hopefully you have a dvd or blu-ray player with component outputs to use for this. You do not need to worry about protected content - all you care about is just seeing the device menu on the 1212 to verify any video on the component inputs.

If an alternate component video source still does not work with the 1212, the last thing i would try is a different power supply. This may be a bit harder for you to find, but just look at the plug for specifications (and pay particular attention to +/- connections on the power jack) my us power plug shows 5v, 2a, with the + on the center pin of the connector. Although it does not specifically say dc output, the + certainly indicates it must be 5v dc. Any other 5v dc, 2 amp power supply with the same size connector and + on the center pin should work. You can look for a universal power supply at an electronics supply store.

I have seen quite a few people who found problems with the hauppauge power supply, and low voltage or weak current could cause some parts of the box to not work correctly and still allow you to see other signs of life. Good luck.

fixed ! ! !




It looks like the component signal from the HD Fury (or the cable) had something wrong.
The image you can see is the final duel of "A fistful of dollars", with a young (1964) Clint Eastwood, and it comes from my Blu-ray unit's component output.
At least an image was absolutely owed to you all for the friendly efforts to help.
One of the next days I'll make you also know more about the precise problem (cable, or HD Fury converter or anything else).
Thanks again !
materiali is offline  
post #2904 of 3861 Old 02-23-2012, 11:01 AM
Newbie
 
falcon2081's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Update for you guys. I just got the new converter in and there was no screen shift issues whatsoever when previewing with the TME App. So this converter is working for those that want to go the route I did when connecting the PVR.

http://www.amazon.com/YPbPr-Componen...9518027&sr=8-8
falcon2081 is offline  
post #2905 of 3861 Old 03-01-2012, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Fudoh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Munich, Germany
Posts: 1,339
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I usually use a Blackmagic Multibridge for my recording purposes, but for quick live-encodes I've recently purchased a HD-PVR.

I have a question for the HP-PVR veterans: quite some ago the peak bitrate controls for VBR recordings have been removed from the driver, so now only max rates are left to adjust and you end up with an average bitrate considerably lower than the one set in the driver when recording. Is it worth going back to an old driver which allows additional peak control or do the currently available settings offer enough flexibility for all situations ?

Thanks in advance !
Fudoh is offline  
post #2906 of 3861 Old 03-01-2012, 02:46 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Fudoh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Munich, Germany
Posts: 1,339
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Oh, and another question for the experienced users:

If my end format is supposed to be a MKV container and I want to cut segments from the recorded clips first, which format would I record in and what programs would I use ?

I've used Smart Cutter in the past and it works great with the TS files recorded by the HDPVR. Unfortunately I can't throw the TS files into mkvmerge and using TSmuxer before to demux the streams is another step which I would like to avoid. MP4 files on the other hand are accepted by mkvmerge, but I can't edit them with Smart Cutter. So what are the alternatives for a 2-step editing/muxing to MKV solution ?
Fudoh is offline  
post #2907 of 3861 Old 03-02-2012, 07:54 PM
Member
 
materiali's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fudoh View Post

I usually use a Blackmagic Multibridge for my recording purposes, but for quick live-encodes I've recently purchased a HD-PVR.

I have a question for the HP-PVR veterans: quite some ago the peak bitrate controls for VBR recordings have been removed from the driver, so now only max rates are left to adjust and you end up with an average bitrate considerably lower than the one set in the driver when recording. Is it worth going back to an old driver which allows additional peak control or do the currently available settings offer enough flexibility for all situations ?

Thanks in advance !

Not a HD PVR veteran... :-) anyway: if the previous driver worked properly and also added this useful feature in comparison to the new one, why not go back to it ?
Maybe the new one only brought minor improvements, so (almost) no reason to keep it...
materiali is offline  
post #2908 of 3861 Old 03-02-2012, 08:22 PM
Member
 
materiali's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fudoh View Post

Oh, and another question for the experienced users:

If my end format is supposed to be a MKV container and I want to cut segments from the recorded clips first, which format would I record in and what programs would I use ?

I've used Smart Cutter in the past and it works great with the TS files recorded by the HDPVR. Unfortunately I can't throw the TS files into mkvmerge and using TSmuxer before to demux the streams is another step which I would like to avoid. MP4 files on the other hand are accepted by mkvmerge, but I can't edit them with Smart Cutter. So what are the alternatives for a 2-step editing/muxing to MKV solution ?

I am using Smart Cutter and then HandBrake (free) to convert the .m2ts files to .mkv and.... oh... to set the right conversion bitrate to make the new file fit (if required) in a certain support (DVD 5, DVD 9, CD...) I use Advanced Bitrate Calculator v1.95, an old software that anyway works enough for my need.
Lately I converted a Blu-ray (from the component output of my Blu-ray player to the component input of the HD PVR) to a .mkv file to be burnt on a DVD DL: 18,700 MB .m2ts to 8,000 MB .mkv and the result on a 55" TV looks surprisingly good for a 6.000 Kbps bitrate (I chose to keep the original 1920x1080 res).
The only problems I found are:
1 - I would need an SSD hard drive to better work with Smart Cutter and
2 - a faster computer for the rendering: I used an Acer TravelMate with an Intel 7500 Core 2 Duo 2,26 GHz and 4GB ram and it required 8 hours or 13 hours (1-pass or 2-pass conversion).
materiali is offline  
post #2909 of 3861 Old 03-02-2012, 09:08 PM
Advanced Member
 
nikknightt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: L.A.
Posts: 757
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by materiali View Post

I am using Smart Cutter and then HandBrake (free) to convert the .m2ts files to .mkv and.... oh... to set the right conversion bitrate to make the new file fit (if required) in a certain support (DVD 5, DVD 9, CD...) I use Advanced Bitrate Calculator v1.95, an old software that anyway works enough for my need.
Lately I converted a Blu-ray (from the component output of my Blu-ray player to the component input of the HD PVR) to a .mkv file to be burnt on a DVD DL: 18,700 MB .m2ts to 8,000 MB .mkv and the result on a 55" TV looks surprisingly good for a 6.000 Kbps bitrate (I chose to keep the original 1920x1080 res).
The only problems I found are:
1 - I would need an SSD hard drive to better work with Smart Cutter and
2 - a faster computer for the rendering: I used an Acer TravelMate with an Intel 7500 Core 2 Duo 2,26 GHz and 4GB ram and it required 8 hours or 13 hours (1-pass or 2-pass conversion).

Maybe I'm missing something (kinda tired) but wouldn't it be better to capture the file at the correct bitrate first? Then just use an app to mux it into an mkv container? The extra conversion will lessen quality won't it?
nikknightt is offline  
post #2910 of 3861 Old 03-04-2012, 01:26 PM
Member
 
materiali's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikknightt View Post

Maybe I'm missing something (kinda tired) but wouldn't it be better to capture the file at the correct bitrate first? Then just use an app to mux it into an mkv container? The extra conversion will lessen quality won't it?

nikknightt...

I don't think you are missing anything :-), and your solution is very elegant.

The one I described was the only .m2ts to .mkv conversion I ever did. I usually record only my SKY-TV favourite programs in .m2ts and then I only cut away the advertisings; or my old VHS tapes cutting away from them what is not important.
I keeep the recordings in a hard drive and I send them to my TV through a Western Digital TV Live media player (it supports this file format).

About the choice of the bitrate downconversion between "on the fly" while recording or "after" I ask myself (and above all I ask you, given that I am an absolute newbie in this field): can the 2-pass conversion "after" be more accurate ?
It's more difficult for me to answer this question because there is an additional factor: the conversion is CBR. And the 2-pass method, in comparison with the 1-pass, should be more effective using the VBR.
Or have we to consider also the original 13,500 Mbps bitrate already a "first" downconversion, so that any additional one is lossy ?

Maybe "I" am missing something... :-)
materiali is offline  
Reply Home Theater Computers

Tags
Hauppauge 1212 Hd Pvr High Definition Personal Video Recorder

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off