AVS Forum banner

Hauppauge HDPVR-1212 Owner's Thread

729K views 4K replies 538 participants last post by  nikknightt 
#1 ·
This thread is reserved for the owners of the subject device. The aim is to share our experience with emphasis on problems and how to solve them(what works and does not), best capture settings and tradeoffs, compatibility with computer hardware and software , compatibility with sat and cable set top boxes, new drivers and software for better results...Please feel free to share not only your experience with the device, but contacts with Hauppauge tech support. Thanks to the-tom and rebkell, the following links will allow you to view the 4 pages of info posted before the server failure:

http://rebkell.net/hdpvr_owners_p1.htm
http://rebkell.net/hdpvr_owners_p2.htm
http://rebkell.net/hdpvr_owners_p3.htm
http://rebkell.net/hdpvr_owners_p4.htm

#2 ·
Please allow me to share with you the following observations and conclusions: capture freeze problems with the C1 version were caused by overheating of some units; a fan was added in the C2 version which solved this problem; video glitches are still being reported with the C2 version; the glitches are described as image jitter/warping plus flashes and a coloured horizontal line at the bottom of the screen...Driver v1.1(dated Oct10 2008) provides support for 5.1 audio.

#13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rentagas /forum/post/14430821

There was a suggestion the 5.1 drivers were coming out this week, are they?

That's not my recollection. What I read was a post from somebody quoting tech support saying they were expecting to receive 5.1 drivers this week. That's very different than saying they would be available for the rest of us to download this week. I wouldn't be surprised if it takes them a few (if they pass QA the first time), or even several (if they fail QA and have to go back to engineering for another spin), weeks to release them.

#14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike50 /forum/post/14428614

What happens when you uncheck these boxes?

Well, I unchecked Output Enable and couldn't tell that it affected anything, it wouldn't/won't let me uncheck VCR Input, it acts like it unchecks it, but then it just puts the check back in. So, now I've tried it and have no idea what or if it does anything. Dunno.

#16 ·
I saw Dish Network's "Turbo HD" commercial touting 1080p, and I wondered if anyone's tried recording 1080p with the HD-PVR? Does it produce watchable 1080i results?

Now that my cable STB's firewire is essentially all 5c'ed and useless, I have no particular incentive to stay with them. I would consider switching to another service, although I'm not certain other services' HD looks comparable to cable...

#17 ·
The SageTV forums report a bug with the HD PVR when capturing 720p material. It manifests itself by a video stutter every five seconds when viewed with one of their HD extenders.

The problem is apparently with the encoding mechanism and can be eliminated with a future firmware update for the HD PVR.

#19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike50 /forum/post/14436949

I tried using ArcSoft Media Converter to translate a 5.3G 1080i movie capture from TS to MP4(Sony/PS3 Option). The process froze after several hours with only 35% done. I had to reboot to get rid of the ArcSoft dialog window.

don't use ArcSoft's converter use Hauppauge's which is also included on the disk...

#20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olias88 /forum/post/14434497

The SageTV forums report a bug with the HD PVR when capturing 720p material. It manifests itself by a video stutter every five seconds when viewed with one of their HD extenders.

The problem is apparently with the encoding mechanism and can be eliminated with a future firmware update for the HD PVR.

More details can be found at forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?p=295534&postcount=14

Dave

#22 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebkell /forum/post/14437417

Is this limited to 720P, I couldn't really tell from reading the thread if it was only happening to 720P caps or not?

I have been following this on the Sage forums. Oddly enough some people have stutter problems with 720p only, while others have the same problem with 1080i only. I guess I am blessed because playback is fine for me at 720p or 1080i.

I have hardware acceleration enabled in the Arcsoft app even though I dont use it for recording or playback. Within Sage I have 3d acceleration turned on and am using overlay instead of VMR9. Cpu usage is around 6 to 8 % during playback so I am pretty sure that hardware acceleration is working.

#23 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncinsguy /forum/post/14437274

don't use ArcSoft's converter use Hauppauge's which is also included on the disk...

Using Hauppauge's MP4 converter, I did a test on a short capture TS file. I got the video, but lost the sound in Total Media Theater and PowerDVD7. There is video and sound playing the file with Media Player Classic, but more video glitches.

#24 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike50 /forum/post/14438067

Using Hauppauge's MP4 converter, I did a test on a short capture TS file. I got the video, but lost the sound in Total Media Theater and PowerDVD7. There is video and sound playing the file with Media Player Classic, but more video glitches.

i also got no sound trying to playback on my pc but using my 360 video and audio was fine. if u want to playback on your pc i suggest just using the original .ts file. the best results i've gotten is making avchd disks for my Blu-ray player but since i don't have a BR burner i'm limited to what i can put to disk.

#25 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncinsguy /forum/post/14438318

i also got no sound trying to playback on my pc but using my 360 video and audio was fine. if u want to playback on your pc i suggest just using the original .ts file. the best results i've gotten is making avchd disks for my Blu-ray player but since i don't have a BR burner i'm limited to what i can put to disk.

No luck on 360HDVD and PS3. I would be quite happy to play the original TS files on my PC, but they have video glitches. I have yet to try AVCHD.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.