Lost my posts from earlier so I'm asking again. Based on what I've read so far, I would like to confirm the following with the experts here :-
- there is no way to get 8ch LPCM over HDMI (TrueHD etc) due to Windows not having a PAP
- 780g and 790g only support 2ch LPCM over HDMI, Nvidia and Intel chipsets support 8ch
My receiver and tv do not have HDMI, I will use DVI+SPDIF.
- is it correct that with 780/790g, I am not guaranteed to get 5.1 over SPDIF?
- G45 does support this. DTS-I will convert all kinds of sources (like stereo) to 5.1 digital and HD audio will also be downsampled and be 5.1 over SPDIF.
- There is no way to output 5.1 LPCM as SPDIF does not support this.
If these are correct then my choices are limited to Nvidia/G45 as I do not want to get analogue audio out of the HTPC.
Thanks for your replies.