Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 08-15-2008, 12:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Hi all,

I have a question concerning subtitles with a .MKV file when playing this file in Media Player Classic Home Cinema.

When I play a .WMV file the subtitles are showed when I start playing the file, so this works ok.

However, when playing a .MKV file the MPC HC does not show subtitles at all while I m sure the the .MKV file has build in Dutch subtitles.

I m using the latest version of MPC HC with all internal filters DISabled. I have the latest version of AC3 filter installed and also the latest Haali Media Splitter.

In the settings field of the Haali Media Splitter field under Languages, the options 'Subtitles language priority' and 'Audio and Subtitle languages' there is nothing filled in here. (Maybe it has something to do with this?)

In the settings of MPC HC I use the following:
Under Playback=>DVD/OGM I have set Subtitles to Dutch(Nederlands)
Under Output I m using VMR9 for Directshow, Direct X 9 for Realmedia and Quicktime video, enabled direct 3D fullscreen and enabled VMR9 Mixer Mode.

I also use Reclock. Tried to disable this to see if reclock is the problem but it is not the problem.

What could this be/what am I doing wrong?

Hope you guys here have some suggestions/ a solution.

Thanks for now and sorry for my bad English.
Greetings.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 08-15-2008, 02:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Why have you disabled all the internal filters? One of the big advantages of the internal filters is that they they can display subtitles AND use hardware acceleration.

To use these:
- download and install the latest Haali splitter
- disable the internal matroska splitter
- enable the internal video decoder
- on the playback tab enable "auto load subtitles"
- make sure you are using a compatible renderer (http://mpc-hc.sourceforge.net/DXVASupport.html)

If you really want to use another decoder then you should set "Autoload VSFilter" in the Haali compatibility tab.
post #3 of 11 Old 08-15-2008, 03:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jong1 View Post

Why have you disabled all the internal filters? One of the big advantages of the internal filters is that they they can display subtitles AND use hardware acceleration.

To use these:
- download and install the latest Haali splitter
- disable the internal matroska splitter
- enable the internal video decoder
- on the playback tab enable "auto load subtitles"
- make sure you are using a compatible renderer (http://mpc-hc.sourceforge.net/DXVASupport.html)

If you really want to use another decoder then you should set "Autoload VSFilter" in the Haali compatibility tab.

thanks for your reply.

I ve disabled all of the internal filters because my purpose of this was to only use external installed filters. This way I am sure that I have the newest filter when I have to manually install it. But you say that it is better to enable all internal filter except the AC3, DTS and Matroska filter (this of course if you are a user like me that has installed the separate AC3 filter and Matroska Splitter).

What do you mean by 'enable the internal video decoder'?

thanks again for your help!
post #4 of 11 Old 08-15-2008, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanderdvd View Post

thanks for your reply.

I ve disabled all of the internal filters because my purpose of this was to only use external installed filters. This way I am sure that I have the newest filter when I have to manually install it. But you say that it is better to enable all internal filter except the AC3, DTS and Matroska filter (this of course if you are a user like me that has installed the separate AC3 filter and Matroska Splitter).

What do you mean by 'enable the internal video decoder'?

thanks again for your help!

If you have a modern graphics card (http://mpc-hc.sourceforge.net/DXVASupport.html) then yes I would suggest using the internal decoder,, at least for AVC and VC-1, which are the most common codecs in an mkv. They will use your GPU for almost all decoding (certainly with ATI cards). Only if you have an older card may you wish to use CoreAVC for AVC decode.

MPEG-2 is more up to you. Personally I still use Theatertek for MPEG2/DVD so it does not really bother me. From casual use of MPC-HC, with internal decoder, for DVD I would say it is very acceptable but I can't say I have ever bothered to test extensively for weaknesses.

I guess you can disable the internal AC3/DTS filters. I too use AC3Filter, but have just configured the internal ones for S/pdif passthrough. Up to you.

By default you do not have to do anything to enable the internal filters but if you have turned off VC-1 and AVC internal filtering and have a card that supports HA I would suggest you turn them back on.
post #5 of 11 Old 08-15-2008, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
My installation of MPC-HT uses DirectVOBSub to play the subtitles that are included in the MKV file. This might be because I had it set up that way to show subtitles in ZoomPlayer. I never went in and changed anything subtitle-related in the MPC setup, they just worked. I'm using MPC-HT for MKV now though because it also supports included chapters, which ZP doesn't do as yet.
post #6 of 11 Old 08-15-2008, 03:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Yep. I am using it instead of TheaterTek for the same reason. Hardware acceleration particularly of Blu-ray rips (of my own discs I hasten to add!) is very valuable too.
post #7 of 11 Old 08-16-2008, 12:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jong1 View Post

If you have a modern graphics card (http://mpc-hc.sourceforge.net/DXVASupport.html) then yes I would suggest using the internal decoder,, at least for AVC and VC-1, which are the most common codecs in an mkv. They will use your GPU for almost all decoding (certainly with ATI cards). Only if you have an older card may you wish to use CoreAVC for AVC decode.

MPEG-2 is more up to you. Personally I still use Theatertek for MPEG2/DVD so it does not really bother me. From casual use of MPC-HC, with internal decoder, for DVD I would say it is very acceptable but I can't say I have ever bothered to test extensively for weaknesses.

I guess you can disable the internal AC3/DTS filters. I too use AC3Filter, but have just configured the internal ones for S/pdif passthrough. Up to you.

By default you do not have to do anything to enable the internal filters but if you have turned off VC-1 and AVC internal filtering and have a card that supports HA I would suggest you turn them back on.

thanks for your reply,

I own the 7600GS. I found a comparison chart that says that the 7600GS APG version does not support hardware decoding. However, I own the PCIe variant and according to the chart this card should be able to fully decode signals. But I wonder HOW I should set up my card to use the internal GPU of the card itself. WHAT exectly do i need to set up on my pc in order to make the internal GPU of the card do the work?
post #8 of 11 Old 08-16-2008, 01:52 AM
AVS Special Member

What video streams do your mkvs have.

Frankly I think you will be better off using CoreAVC (in software mode of course) with a 7600GS. Time for a GPU upgrade?
post #9 of 11 Old 08-17-2008, 10:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I ve posted some info of my mkv file in my other topic where you also are active (thanks for all your help man!). So maybe it s better to go on on the other topic and ask you all about subtitles core avc etc.
post #10 of 11 Old 08-18-2008, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Well subtitles should just work in MPC-HC if you auto load them and use the internal AVC decoder. In a normal Directshow player (like TT), with any decoder they should work if you do as I suggest and tell Haali to "autoload VSFilter". I do not know if this last trick also works in MPC-HC as I always use the internal decoder with this player.

What filters are you using in MPC-HC - play your file and right click (not in D3D mode) then select "filters". This will tell you what is loaded.

Try in TT or WMP. Does DirectVOBSub/VSFilter get loaded? if so, an extra tray icon appears that amongst other things allows you to select subtitle stream.
post #11 of 11 Old 02-15-2010, 10:58 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
HI, although original poster crosspost this thread on several forums only on this one i found reasonable answers. But i'm stuck with question "Where is Haali compatibility tab" i have use several mpc-hc 1.2/1.3 versions and i cant found it.
I have installed latest matroska splitter (haali 2009/12) although two previous work the same but VSFilter (2.37 and recently 2.39) wont load for me. It works perfectly in old mpc6490. Only thing disabled is Matroska internal splitter and mpc share their options between the version.

Also i noticed (digress) that VSFilter had some problem with bad bottom shadow in VMR7/9 mode (mpc6490 where it works) from what i use to in Overlay mode (it's the same on all ATi HD cards 3/4/5000 series). It looks like few pixels of original font are mirrored, something like wrong frame resize when you up/downsize frame with input that's bigger than max. original frame pixel size.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page