Connecting GeForce 9600 to LCD TV - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 08-18-2008, 02:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Guys, I need your advice regarding setting up a PC to LCD TV system to watch HD-DVDs and Blu-rays. I shall explain my situation.

Two months back I bought an LG GGC-H20L Blu-ray HD-DVD combo drive for PC. Since then I have been watching movies on these high-def formats, on my Acer AL1916W 19" LCD Widescreen PC Monitor. I also had to upgrade my graphics card to GeForce 9600 GT 512MB so that I can watch HD movies smoothly using Nvidia PureVideo HD acceleration. I have a pretty good 6 channel digital speaker set connected to my PC - Logitech Z-5500. At present it is positioned correctly and I am really enjoying it. So, other than the small display, the setup is good for me.

Though I am happy with the present setup, I feel the HD experience will be complete only when the display is bigger than my present one. But I can't go out and buy a 50" or 60" monster due to budget and space constraints. I have a wall right behind my computer table. I am thinking of buying an LCD TV and positioning it above and behind the PC monitor, on to the wall. In that way, I can connect with a DVI to HDMI convertor, from GeForce to the TV and enjoy HD visuals. Also I can maintain the sound system in tact as the playback will continue from PC only.

The width of the room is about 10 ft, wall to wall. So, when I mount the TV on the wall, the maximum distance I can sit back is about 7 ft. Therefore I think a 32" LCD TV should be suitable for me as it fits my pocket and the viewing distance perfectly. Now here are my doubts.

1)720p or 1080p. I know 1080p produces the best visuals but I also heard the noticable difference between 720p and 1080p starts when the TV is bigger than like 50" (the video source will be always DVD or HD-DVD/Blu-ray for me). Whats your opinion on this?

2) GeForce 9600 GT supports HDMI. But the output is DVI. So if I use a DVI to HDMI converter cable, will it reduce the image quality in anyway? Also will the converter result in slow data transfer which might in turn result in HD video (Blu-ray and HD-DVD discs) playing in slow motion or going out of sync with the audio?

Please post your suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 08-18-2008, 06:00 AM - Thread Starter

I shall rephrase my question is a shorter way.

I play Blu-ray and HD-DVD discs on my PC using PowerDVD. I have a GeForce 9600 GT card which supports HDMI. I am planning to buy a 32" LCD TV to mount on to the wall behind and above the PC monitor. The graphic card has dual DVI. How can I get the HD video played by PowerDVD, on to the LCD TV, while maintaining audio through PC sound card?
post #3 of 4 Old 08-18-2008, 06:20 AM
AVS Special Member

the audio output will be through the sound board.

While the 9600 is HDMI, it has no audio engine.
post #4 of 4 Old 08-18-2008, 06:31 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks steve. Now I need to buy the TV. GeForce 9600 has DVI only. So I believe here are the choices I have.

1) Buy a TV with DVI input and connect GeForce's DVI output to TV.
2) Buy a TV with HDMI. Get a DVI to HDMI converter, attach it to GeForce's DVI out and then connect to HDMI of TV.

Which will be better for me?
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page