Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 1506 Old 08-22-2008, 06:15 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by pclausen View Post

Mine came with version 77 already installed.

Thanks, but truth be told, I really wanna see what's inside your P5Q-EM board...

i.e. BIOS version, setup Boot menu options yada yada

One other question comes to mind... when you boot the P5Q-EM board, do you see BIOS POST messages displayed via the HDMI port? Or is that only visible via the DVI or VGA ports?

Thanks for leading us all through the minefield

Building homebrew computers since 1978
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 1506 Old 08-22-2008, 06:47 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator141 View Post

Thanks, but truth be told, I really wanna see what's inside your P5Q-EM board...

One other question comes to mind... when you boot the P5Q-EM board, do you see BIOS POST messages displayed via the HDMI port? Or is that only visible via the DVI or VGA ports?

Thanks for leading us all through the minefield

I have to agree with Gator141 about the mine field. You have already made my pending build much easier.
Thanks again.

Egyptian Tomb Home Theater!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Please visit my Web Page:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #93 of 1506 Old 08-22-2008, 07:29 AM

Quote:

I'm running 15.9.9.1527 (dated 8-5-2008), and both my DG45ID and P5Q-EM can do 192KHz to my Denon 3808. This weekend I'll test the P5Q-EM on my Onkyo 885 pre/pro. I'll report my findings.

In the 'Control Panel->Sound-> HDMI Device->Properties->Supported Formats tab' the 192khz test works to my Onkyo 605...In the Advanced tab->Default Format, niether the 16bit or 24bit 192khz formats work when I set to them. I think it must be a driver issue (Im running 1527 Graphics and 2060 HDMI audio versions on a P5Q-EM).
post #94 of 1506 Old 08-22-2008, 01:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator141 View Post

Ok, I'll take some BIOS screen caps when I get home.

Yes, I do get all the BIOS POST messages displayed via the HDMI port. This was working with the G35 Asus board as well.
post #95 of 1506 Old 08-22-2008, 04:04 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Hey!

I am about to build a regular office computer and a HTPC. A board with the G45 chip looks like a good deal with a Intel E8400 CPU.

Gigabyte are general my favorite brand but the lack of PCI-E x16 makes this board less interesting.

The Asus are my second choose, it will ofcourse make a good office computer but will it really work as a HTPC?

I have heard allot of problems with 1080p24 in the gigabyte thread, is this a problem that also apply to the Asus board?
post #96 of 1506 Old 08-22-2008, 04:12 PM
JP
AVS Special Member

pclausen, a big thanks for the time you are taking here. I do have one question based on your early impressions between the two mobos. If you were forced to choose between one or the other which would you choose?

Also, I'm really hemming and hawing between this mobo and something more tried and true like the P45 chipset. I have seen some reviews online complain about video quality with this board. Any thoughts about what you are seeing? Is the video quality with Blu Ray and SD DVDs what you hoped for?

Finally, I see you were using ffdshow. I would like to use ffdshow heavily for SD DVDs. I'm not so sure I will need it with Blu Ray since the source is so good. Have you done any tests with SD DVD's and ffdshow yet? I'm really looking for something that I don't have to worry about stutter and can use ffdshow to its full extent.

Thanks again for your time.
JP
post #97 of 1506 Old 08-22-2008, 04:29 PM
AVS Special Member

By request, a motherload of BIOS screenshots. The first shot is the first thing that shows up. Never seen this before on any mobo.

post #98 of 1506 Old 08-22-2008, 05:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP View Post

pclausen, a big thanks for the time you are taking here. I do have one question based on your early impressions between the two mobos. If you were forced to choose between one or the other which would you choose?

I'd pick the Asus. The Intel sits on the pre BIOS POST screen a lot longer than the Asus. And 2nd, when running the sound tests in Vista, the test tones begin a lot quicker than with the Intel board, as if my Denon receiver locks in quicker with the Asus for some reason.

I was suprised the Intel board accepted my Crucial Ballistic DDR2-800 sticks. But other than the very minor nic picks above, I don't really have anything against it. I cannot detect any difference between the 2 as far as video and audio fidelity is concerned. Both are performing very solidly for me.

Quote:

Is the video quality with Blu Ray and SD DVDs what you hoped for?

Yes. The few BD titles I have sampled looks every bit as good as when playing them through my Panny BD-30 player.

Quote:

Finally, I see you were using ffdshow. I would like to use ffdshow heavily for SD DVDs. I'm not so sure I will need it with Blu Ray since the source is so good. Have you done any tests with SD DVD's and ffdshow yet? I'm really looking for something that I don't have to worry about stutter and can use ffdshow to its full extent.

I have not really done much with SD DVDs yet. I did try a few titles and was dissapointed to still see a lot of stutter in motion scenes when playing back mkv versions of ripped DVDs (I never messed with the MPEG-2 video stream, just used PgcDemux to pull out the Video and Audio streams and then used mkvMerge to create a .mkv container). Interstingly, those same titles play just fine with no stutter when playing the original VOBs. I had this same problem with my G35 mobos, so I might try playing around with the Haali splitter. I should note that this issue is just with video (60i) DVDs, like, ahem, most adult titles.
post #99 of 1506 Old 08-22-2008, 06:02 PM - Thread Starter

Ok, Finished my build a bout an hour ago.

Asus P5Q-EM
Intel Core 2 Duo E8600 Wolfdale 3.33GHz
A-DATA 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 800
Seagate Barracuda 250GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s
ASUS BC-1205PT Blu-ray DVD-ROM 4MB Cache SATA

Install went pretty much exactly the same as pclausen.

Now here is where it gets funny. HTPC worked on a Dell VGA input as well as an HDMI input.

Took it into the theater and hooked up the HDMI to the Panasonic AE-2000 and nothing. The Panny does not even see the signal. It does the same thing if I hook up the VGA on the Panny.

Took it back to the other monitors and HDMI and VGA work great.

Any ideas where to start?

post #100 of 1506 Old 08-22-2008, 06:05 PM

i'm building my p5q-em based machine tomorrow, can't thank you enough for the info on this pclausen.

One thing i wanna know that i can't determine by looking at your bios screenies, I assume the board allows for wake on USB ? I hope
post #101 of 1506 Old 08-22-2008, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomnusss View Post

Took it into the theater and hooked up the HDMI to the Panasonic AE-2000 and nothing. The Panny does not even see the signal. It does the same thing if I hook up the VGA on the Panny.

Took it back to the other monitors and HDMI and VGA work great.

Any ideas where to start?

I assume same HDMI cable, if not use the same cable, if it is the same cable, then I got nothing
post #102 of 1506 Old 08-22-2008, 06:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nihilist1977 View Post

I assume same HDMI cable, if not use the same cable, if it is the same cable, then I got nothing

Same cable.

I have a feeling it is the resolution of the signal that is causing this. I am checking a few things now.

post #103 of 1506 Old 08-22-2008, 06:32 PM

Quote:

By request, a motherload of BIOS screenshots. The first shot is the first thing that shows up. Never seen this before on any mobo.

A BIG THANKS for the BIOS shots!! This will clear up a LOT of questions!

I think I can answer your question too --> Looks like the ASUS board "Express-Gate" feature is ENABLED in your BIOS, but you didn't install the Express-Gate image from the installation DVD.

Express-Gate (aka "SplashTop") is an initial graphical screen that boots up in about 5 seconds from power-on and gives you instant access to several utility functions, a browser, "Skype" VOIP phone, etc, or to choose to continue booting into your "regular OS" if you don't do anything within a settable number of seconds.

The Express-Gate installation image is on the DVD provided with the board, and updated version(s) of it can be downloaded from ASUS website. If you want to use Express-Gate, you have to run the installer utility to load the Express-Gate image on your system. See Section 3.3 of the ASUS user's manual for the Express-Gate install info.

If you don't wan't to use Express-Gate, there is a BIOS option to disable the boot-time "hook" for it on the "TOOLS" menu of the BIOS Setup, (your image quoted below)

If you set "Express-Gate" to "Disabled" on the "TOOLS" setup page, it should stop complaining that it isn't installed...(I hope?)

Hope this helps.

Quote:

post #104 of 1506 Old 08-22-2008, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nihilist1977 View Post

i'm building my p5q-em based machine tomorrow, can't thank you enough for the info on this pclausen.

One thing i wanna know that i can't determine by looking at your bios screenies, I assume the board allows for wake on USB ? I hope

If the manual is correct, it does.... but the settings are jumpers, not in the BIOS.

Check page 1-10 and 1-11 of the ASUS P5Q-EM user's manual, the board layout shows jumpers for controlling USB WAKEUP.

Also Section 1.9, pages 1-28 and 1-29 discuss setting the jumpers for USB Wakeup.

Hope this helps.

post #105 of 1506 Old 08-23-2008, 06:03 AM

BTW, did someone tried XBMC yet on the G45?
post #106 of 1506 Old 08-23-2008, 08:05 AM
Advanced Member

Note from Arcsoft:

Originally posted by ArcSoft_Jason

Okay, since Intel spilled the beans I have permission to discuss it.

We have an internal version that resolves the repeater issue. I've personally tested our internal release on the G35. It basically works. There are some things that aren't quite perfect at the moment, but PC connected via HDMI to Onkyo then via HDMI to display does not have the HDCP error, and passes 7.1 audio channels when the Intel HDMI driver is selected and properly set up in Windows Vista and 7.1 is selected in TMT's audio options.

We'll be releasing it in the near future.

(copy&paste from other G45 thread posted by cybrsage)
post #107 of 1506 Old 08-23-2008, 08:23 AM

Liked: 148
Thanks, I missed this thread.
post #108 of 1506 Old 08-23-2008, 08:27 AM
Advanced Member

Currently fetching hardware to build mine htpc:

Asus P5Q-EM Motherboard
OrigenAE htpc_s21t enclosure
INTEL Q9550 C2 QUAD 2.83G 12MB 1333MHZ (BX80569Q9550)
Geil DD2 4x 2GB modules: 2x GB24GB8500C5DC Black Dragon 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR2 PC2 8500 1066Mhz 5-5-5-15 /8-Layer PCB with LED Retail
(did read asus manual about supported ram modules and picked this one that supports use both channels with these ones)
Noctua NH-U12P cpu cooler
Thermalright HR05-SLI/IFX chipset cooler
Ram Cooler Thermalright HR-07 Duo
Mcube T-Balancer, fan control- software based
Bought a few 120, 92 and 80 mm noctua fans. Going to replace fans in enclosure
Old stuff I put in:
PSU - Yesico model: FL-550ATX(T)P/PFC fanless (Had in another enclosure where motherboard died more than 2 yars ago)
Plextor PX-755A PATA

post #109 of 1506 Old 08-23-2008, 08:35 AM - Thread Starter

pclausen,

Maybe you can help me with a few things.

I got the HDMI working through my Sony STR-DG920 and into my Panasonic AE2000 projector. I had to bring a vga monitor into the theater and have both the projector and monitor connected at the same time in order to get it working.
I am having problems with the HDMI Audio. I went into Device Manager and I have two HDMI Audio Devices.
( Do you show two?)One is the Realtek and the other is an Intel. The Realtek was set as default, yet no sound during any test works. I chaged the default to the Intel HDMI Audio Device and I then get HDMI audio in 2ch. I have to change to 7.1 in the Intel settings not the Realtek. Once it is set for 7.1 the sound skips and eventually stops.

post #110 of 1506 Old 08-23-2008, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stenvik View Post

Note from Arcsoft:

Originally posted by ArcSoft_Jason

Okay, since Intel spilled the beans I have permission to discuss it.

We have an internal version that resolves the repeater issue. I've personally tested our internal release on the G35. It basically works. There are some things that aren't quite perfect at the moment, but PC connected via HDMI to Onkyo then via HDMI to display does not have the HDCP error, and passes 7.1 audio channels when the Intel HDMI driver is selected and properly set up in Windows Vista and 7.1 is selected in TMT's audio options.

We'll be releasing it in the near future.

thats good to know
post #111 of 1506 Old 08-23-2008, 08:42 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Is 1080p24 working on this board?
post #112 of 1506 Old 08-23-2008, 09:11 AM

pclausen, were you able to use DVI and HDMI simultaneously in clone mode?
post #113 of 1506 Old 08-23-2008, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowjim View Post

Is 1080p24 working on this board?

No, not yet.
post #114 of 1506 Old 08-23-2008, 09:58 AM

Just to make sure I understand properly:

Can I use Intel drivers for the ASUS motherboard? With the obvious exception of the ethernet driver and the onboard sound (not even going to set that up - will use HDMI sound only).

I suspect Intel will create drivers faster than ASUS will.

Also, what is a good, low power use, CPU for this motherboard?

EDIT: I have an old E6300 in my one PC, is that a good CPU for this board?
post #115 of 1506 Old 08-23-2008, 11:36 AM
Advanced Member

I have seen someone comment that the G45 chipset goes hot ? This is why I have ordered thermalright chipset cooler.

Just crossing fingers that I manage to build a silence htpc box
post #116 of 1506 Old 08-23-2008, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomnusss View Post

pclausen,

Maybe you can help me with a few things.

I got the HDMI working through my Sony STR-DG920 and into my Panasonic AE2000 projector. I had to bring a vga monitor into the theater and have both the projector and monitor connected at the same time in order to get it working.

With both the P5Q-EM and DG45ID, I stated out with my Dell 2405 non-DHCP monitor using a HDMI to DVI cable until I got Vista and the various drivers installed. I then moved the rigs into the living room and connected them to my Denon 3808 via a HDMI to HDMI cable. Never had an issue with not being able to display video onto my Panny plasma (which was set to 1:1 pixel mode). Perhaps starting out with using the VGA port makes it the default?

Quote:
I am having problems with the HDMI Audio. I went into Device Manager and I have two HDMI Audio Devices.
( Do you show two?)One is the Realtek and the other is an Intel. The Realtek was set as default, yet no sound during any test works. I chaged the default to the Intel HDMI Audio Device and I then get HDMI audio in 2ch. I have to change to 7.1 in the Intel settings not the Realtek. Once it is set for 7.1 the sound skips and eventually stops.

Yes I showed 2 as well, but the Intel was picked as the default already. I never bothered installing the Realtek drivers and will likely disable in BIOS soon. I have been choosing 5.1 since that is all I have connected in the living room. Once I move one of the rigs downstairs into the theater, I'll change to 7.1, since that's what I have connected to my Onkyo 885.

We watched a couple of movies last night on the Intel G45 rig (MKV's) and after about 10 minutes, the audio was behind by almost 20 seconds! Not sure what's going on with that right now, but the issue is not present when playing the original rip with TMT. Never had this issue with the G35.

I'm re-ripping a couple of titles and using TSMuxer instead of eac3to and telling TSMuxer to make a "Blu-ray" disk of just the main video track and lossless audio track. My plan is to then just point TMT to the movie folder and playing it back. I know the lossless audio track will get reconverted by TMT and probably also Vista before being output, but hopefully bitstreaming support is coming soon. Hopefully this would completely eliminate the audio delay.
post #117 of 1506 Old 08-23-2008, 01:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starsky View Post

pclausen, were you able to use DVI and HDMI simultaneously in clone mode?

Have not had a chance to check this yet, but hopefully will tonight or tomorrow.
post #118 of 1506 Old 08-23-2008, 02:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Currently fetching hardware to build mine htpc:

Asus P5Q-EM Motherboard
OrigenAE htpc_s21t enclosure
INTEL Q9550 C2 QUAD 2.83G 12MB 1333MHZ (BX80569Q9550)
Geil DD2 4x 2GB modules: 2x GB24GB8500C5DC Black Dragon 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR2 PC2 8500 1066Mhz 5-5-5-15 /8-Layer PCB with LED Retail
(did read asus manual about supported ram modules and picked this one that supports use both channels with these ones)
Noctua NH-U12P cpu cooler
Thermalright HR05-SLI/IFX chipset cooler
Ram Cooler Thermalright HR-07 Duo
Mcube T-Balancer, fan control- software based
Bought a few 120, 92 and 80 mm noctua fans. Going to replace fans in enclosure
PSU - Yesico model: FL-550ATX(T)P/PFC fanless (Had in another enclosure where motherboard died more than 2 yars ago)

Hmm no comments about mine hardware choices ?
What optical should I go for ? Not sure what to go for in past I used to go for plextor dvd burners cause of their software. BUT these days they just rebadge optical so plextor/plextools software doesn't work on em anymore
post #119 of 1506 Old 08-23-2008, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dCrypt View Post

BTW, did someone tried XBMC yet on the G45?

Yes, I tried both Alpha 3 and 4 of XBMC for Windows on this board and it works fine on vista 32-bit. XBMC detects the graphics card as Intel Eaglelake in system info. Video playback works fine but no hardware decoding obviously.

Quote:

I have seen someone comment that the G45 chipset goes hot ? This is why I have ordered thermalright chipset cooler.

Just crossing fingers that I manage to build a silence htpc box

I've noticed this too. My MB temp is 50C at idle with EPU-4 Engine set to Max Power Saving. While running prime 95 with EPU-4 set to Max Performace the temp rose to 55C. Is this within acceptable limits?

Has anyone else been able to get Express Gate to work? I used the installer from the driver disk but it still shows the not installed message at boot. I am using a PATA hard drive. Could that have something to do with it?
post #120 of 1506 Old 08-23-2008, 03:08 PM

Quote:

Hmm no comments about mine hardware choices ?
What optical should I go for ? Not sure what to go for in past I used to go for plextor dvd burners cause of their software. BUT these days they just rebadge optical so plextor/plextools software doesn't work on em anymore

for a dvd burner i would go for samsung as they are cheap and good, around 25 to 30 dollars, if you want blu ray id say go LG.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page