*Official* Asus P5Q-EM Motherboard Thread - Page 51 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1501 of 1506 Old 03-14-2010, 02:35 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I've just 'upgraded' from XP Pro which worked fine for my HTPC for years, to W7. Went to 64 bit to be able to use more RAM. May have to go back to 32bit since the new Dvico drivers won't support 62bit for my old Fusion card (only the newer ones). But, I'd really like to stay with 64. Anyway, my question is about getting audio working reliably.

My setup is:
Asus P5Q-EM w/E8200 CPU & 4GB RAM
Asus 23" monitor @ 1920x1080x60hz - currently using VGA (HDMI an option)
Sony SXRD 50" TV @ 1920x1080x60hz - on DVI (50')
Yamaha Receiver in family room w/TV - on SPDIF (50' TOSLINK Optical)

The video side is all working fine. I tried using HDMI to my monitor, but, then during boot up the system thinks the TV is my primary monitor so I can't see anything until windows fires up - at which point it makes the Asus monitor my primary monitor. If I could get sound thru the HDMI, I'd probably live with this but without - why bother - the VGA is giving excellent image quailty.

At first, I couldn't get any audio working. I tried getting all the latest drivers from ASUS and Intel, fooled around a long time with no joy, then taking a break from working on the audio, wanted to check the video to the TV was working ok, brought it up, dragged an IE window there, went to ABC.com and went to play a TV episode - SURPRISE - the soundtrack started playing through my TV! I thought this was impossible - it is connected via a DVI-D to HDMI cable and has never had sound in the past. Verified this was the TV playing sound by using the TV control to change the volume and verified my receiver was off.

This got me pumped and I went back to fooling around with the sound and got output through the receiver via SPDIF. But, ever since doing that, no sound comes from the TV. No biggie, that's how it always worked in the past and it is fine with me.

Then I selected the HDMI as the default audio device (using the Intel HD audio drivers) and got sound from my monitor! Happy day - all is well.

I shut down and went for a walk with my wife on this beautiful day, and, on coming back, booted up and can't get sound thru HDMI to work again.

Unfortuately, some time back, the right channel of my analog audio died. So, if I make "speakers" my default audio device, I only get one channel, and, it is extremely faint thru the monitor.

I see several potential options.
1) Figure out how to get HDMI audio working.
2) Find an alternate way to get analog audio that will give me both channels
a) Is there a way to switch the front speakers to a different jack (and might that help)?
b) Is there a header for connecting headphones? (the audio control panel in W7 shows headphones as not connected which makes me think it thinks the board has a way to support headphones)
3) Pull another SPDIF output and run it to the monitor (which has a SPDIF input jack) There is a four pin header on the motherboard for a second SPDIF and the ASUS manual shows a cable.
4) Add an audio card

Any suggestions/recommendations?
Also, any idea how to enable multiple audio output devices rather than having to switch one for the other?
And what is this about not being able to output multi-channel to the receiver?
____________________________________________________________ ____________________________________________________________ _____________________________________
Follow-up. I 'solved' the dead channel on the analog audio front speakers jack with an $11 USB audio adapter from newegg. It works great (but I can still only play one audio out at a time, either my SPDIF or the USB audio - used to be able to output both digital and analog simultaniously under XP).

Also purchased a really cheap ($29) USB HDTV tuner and it is working well too.

It doesn't appear that I can get more than stereo out of the SPDIF now though - should be able to send 5.1. Would still like to resolve that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1502 of 1506 Old 04-18-2010, 11:04 AM

Liked: 10
I have had this motherboard for about 6 months... was working good but now I am getting blue screens.

I was cleaning up the wires in my rack not long before the first bluescreen so there is a possibility I somehow disturbed something when unpugging and replugging in my hdpvr.

Anyone got any pointers? I tried memtest and I am swapping out the harddrive now, mostly because it was the only 'old' component I brought over from my old server.

I did a fresh install of both win7 32 bit and win7 64 bit and both of them give me a blue screen not long after the install.

Event though memcheck passed my next step I have is to take out of the memory chips one at a time at run it with a gig of ram

Anyone got any other ideas. Of course the wife is pissed since I uses this to control sage and it is major project to bipass sage and go right to the directv box in the short term.
post #1503 of 1506 Old 04-19-2010, 04:48 PM

Try re-seating your cards, especially the memory cards. If you are not using using the MB video then re-seat the video card. I don't know how many memory cards you have but you could try removing each card separately to see if a particular memory board is the problem. I had this issue with my MB in the early days I was assembling it. Memory boards are cheap these days so buying a spare board is not too costly and good insurance.

ASUS Formula III Rampage MB
Intel I7 960 CPU ATI 5850
12GB RAM 58TB Storage
Windows 7 Ultra 64 Bit
Arcsoft TMT5, Ceton Infinity4
Onkyo 5008 to Samsung HL67A750
post #1504 of 1506 Old 04-19-2010, 07:43 PM

I think it was the memory... even though it passed the mem test... I removed on of the chips and it stopped bluescreening. it runs like a dog since I only have a gig in there but i ordered another 2 gigs, like you said memory is cheap these days.

I remember my first PC.. 256K was like $200
post #1505 of 1506 Old 04-21-2010, 05:44 AM

Glad you isolated the problem..Yeah, one Gb memory will make it run slow for sure, once you get past 2GB it will run like a champ..

ASUS Formula III Rampage MB
Intel I7 960 CPU ATI 5850
12GB RAM 58TB Storage
Windows 7 Ultra 64 Bit
Arcsoft TMT5, Ceton Infinity4
Onkyo 5008 to Samsung HL67A750
post #1506 of 1506 Old 05-25-2010, 05:04 PM

I said theme in the title. I meant scheme.
I just installed the latest Intel G45 driver (8.15.10.2086). Did they remove the ability to assign different resolutions for the monitor/tv? With the previous driver I had one resolution for my monitor (1280x1024) and another resolution for my tv (1920x1080) and the card would adjust the resolution when I selected the appropriate scheme. Now, it seems, I can no longer do that. Every time I switch the display to the TV it changes the resolution back to whatever I had the monitor set to. What am I missing?
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page