Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 1506 Old 08-25-2008, 06:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by uplift1 View Post

Someone needs to log the bug with Asus tech support and it should get fixed in the next BIOS firmware update. Is this problem restricted to the Asus G45, or does the Gigabyte and other boards also exhibit it?

http://vip.asus.com/eservice/techserv.aspx

I've already submitted a ticket to them about this issue. I've also called them several times and got the same guy with a south american accent who is not only exctremely difficult to understand but also extremely unhelpful. Basically the guy wants to blame the card, so I called evga, and basically they want to blame the board. So I setup a ticket with nvidia as well, and I've also emailed intels tech support about the problem. maybe someone somewhere will give a crap and fix it. )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 1506 Old 08-25-2008, 06:13 PM

Quote:

Having completed my P5Q-EM build on Sunday, I'm trying to track down answers on a few of my issues:

* I would like to have a dual monitor setup, HDMI through to Denon 1909 receiver then onward to my 47in 1080p, and the DVI port straight to a 19in LCD. But I get "no signal detected" at all times on my DVI -> 19in LCD. Is the second display configured by the BIOS to use the VGA port? Is it possible to use the HDMI and DVI ports at the same time (is there a BIOS setting I might be missing)?

Bad DVI cable maybe? (Or another possibility: The mobo DVI port is a DVI-D only, if the end of the cable attached to the LCD is a 15-pin D-sub, it won't work... the port doesn't provide analog signals, only digital, the LCD end of the cable must be plugged into a digital DVI port on the LCD. "DVI-to-VGA-Dsub" cables won't play here.)

Quote:

* The system will go into sleep mode when I send a signal from the case, as well as recover from sleep when I press power on the case. However, I would like to be able to recover from sleep mode by USB input (either from my wireless keyboard or from a VMC remote through a separate USB IR module). Do I need to change some Vista or BIOS setting to make the system wake from sleep via USB input (keyboard or USB IR remote)?

You need to be sure your keyboard or remote is plugged into a USB port that has its USB wakeup JUMPER on the mobo set to "+5vsb" setting, see the P5Q-EM user manual section 1.9, page 1-28 and 1-29 for the USB standby power jumper settings. There are separate jumper settings for each pair of USB ports on the mobo - see the mobo layout chart on page 1-10 to find where the jumper is for each USB port.

Quote:

* I have a 8800 GTX video card lying around from a previous build. Is it possible to install this card and toggle via BIOS whether it is enabled or disabled (so disable and use onboard graphics for HTPC use, reboot, change BIOS and enable 8800GTX to play games)? If the BIOS is set to use the onboard graphics, will the 8800 GTX still draw power? If the GTX is enabled, I presumably would have to connect the onboard optical out for audio?

MAYBE (YMMV - remember I haven't got a board to try yet, this is just from reading the manual)

On the "ADVANCED" page of the BIOS setup, see the "INITIATE GRAPHICS ADAPTER" setting:

"IGD"== activate only the internal graphics ignoring any others?
"PEG/IGD"== activate a PCIe card if one exists, and only if no PCIe card exists, then activate the internal graphics instead - but NOT both at the same time! The other "xxx/yyy" pairs work in a similar way - at boot the mobo tries the first, and if matching device is not found then tries the second, but only ONE will get used.

Note: This IMPLIES that if you plug in the PCIe card, and set the BIOS

"INITIATE GRAPHICS ADAPTER"="PEG/IGD"

and REBOOT, your boot console will be the PCIe card and the integrated graphics will be DISABLED ENTIRELY... to switch back, you will need to set "IGD" mode and REBOOT again to ignore the PCIe card.

And remember, since I haven't got a P5Q-EM to try this with yet, this MAY NOT WORK... YMMV!

Hope this helps!

Building homebrew computers since 1978
post #183 of 1506 Old 08-25-2008, 07:41 PM

turns out that the 169.02 forceware drivers also work in vista x64 on the p5q-em. i was able to play crysis on xp, and i was able to play it in vista with dx9, but in dx10 it crashes during the opening movie, the desktop is stable though. so anyway, it seems something between the switch from 169.02 and 169.21 or 169.25 must be the culprit.
post #184 of 1506 Old 08-25-2008, 09:25 PM

Liked: 17
Uh oh, I can't get the fscking Intel Linux driver compiled. configure asked for a number of packages to be installed, which turned out to be the dev's which I then installed, but there is one left that it's demanding, X11. I can not find this to save my life. Fortunately it's at least running in vesa mode, but of course I have no hardware acceleration.

Another smaller issue is that when I cold-start, my bluetooth Dinovo Edge keyboard works for the bios adjustments, but not when I get to KDM. I must unplug/replug the dongle and then it works. So something's wrong with initialization. No idea how to find out what.

Running Kubongo Intrepid Ibex daily build from yesterday.
post #185 of 1506 Old 08-25-2008, 11:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I have a simple question. My tv and receiver don't have HDMI so I will use an HDMI->DVI adaptor to connect to my tv, and SPDIF to the receiver, which is a Panasonic SA-XR50 (5.1). Are there any potential issues I should be aware of? The content will be blu-ray, mkv rips and usual media.
post #186 of 1506 Old 08-25-2008, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mracacia View Post

After doing some research on cpu's, I have to agree. The difference between the e8500 and the e7200 is minimal in a HTPC. Equinox, did you get your nmediapc case yet?

Unfortunately there was a delay over the weekend. I am assured it will come in today though, I will start a thread as soon as it comes in to give you some unboxing photos. Hopefully this afternoon!
post #187 of 1506 Old 08-25-2008, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defcon View Post

I have a simple question. My tv and receiver don't have HDMI so I will use an HDMI->DVI adaptor to connect to my tv, and SPDIF to the receiver, which is a Panasonic SA-XR50 (5.1). Are there any potential issues I should be aware of? The content will be blu-ray, mkv rips and usual media.

Not that I know of. As a result of using the SPDIF protocol you will only get DVD quality audio though. If your TV doesn't support HDCP then you will have to use AnyDVD HD as well.
post #188 of 1506 Old 08-26-2008, 12:31 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by pclausen View Post

Reminds me of the Infinite Cat Project
http://infinitecat.com/infinite/cat-...1500/1443.html
post #189 of 1506 Old 08-26-2008, 01:48 AM - Thread Starter

Ok Guys,

It turns out this HDMI Audio problem with Media Center is probably a Vista Media Center bug. I have posted in quite a few Vista Tech Support Forums and that seems to be the answer all the Mods are giving me.
Is there an Official Media Center Thread here on AVS?
Does anyone know how to send a bug problem to Microsoft or the Media Center Development team?

This bug pretty much kills my plans for this HTPC. I can use it no problem, but the rest of the family will not be able to figure it out.
Having it just boot to Media Center and handing them a remote is what works well.
Now I am just waiting to see if pclausen can confirm the bug or ...................

Egyptian Tomb Home Theater!!!
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...highlight=tomb

Please visit my Web Page:

http://www.eyecit.net

post #190 of 1506 Old 08-26-2008, 02:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomnusss View Post

Ok Guys,

It turns out this HDMI Audio problem with Media Center is probably a Vista Media Center bug. I have posted in quite a few Vista Tech Support Forums and that seems to be the answer all the Mods are giving me.
Is there an Official Media Center Thread here on AVS?
Does anyone know how to send a bug problem to Microsoft or the Media Center Development team?

This bug pretty much kills my plans for this HTPC. I can use it no problem, but the rest of the family will not be able to figure it out.
Having it just boot to Media Center and handing them a remote is what works well.
Now I am just waiting to see if pclausen can confirm the bug or ...................

I know this sounds stupid but disable the VMC navigation sounds and close VMC. Make sure your audio is configured with the Intel HDMI device as the default, output set to 5.1, DD support enabled and "Exclusive Mode" enabled. Launch VMC and try again.

This has worked on every system we've tried so far

I have a theory as to why this works but let's see how you get on before I bother posting it.

There are also a couple of other ways around this but they involve more compromise than just losing VMC navigation "noises".

Wo0zy
post #191 of 1506 Old 08-26-2008, 06:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

As mentioned earlier in the thread, when my PC boots up with only HDMI connected, I can see the BIOS post screens but they have a weirdly scaled and cropped appearance (looks like a 1080p source cropped to 4:3). Does anyone else have this problem? Is there a workaround?

I don't have this issue when using an HDMI->DVI cable into my Dell 2405 LCD. I also don't have this issue when going through my Denon 3808 to my Panny 1080p plasma.
post #192 of 1506 Old 08-26-2008, 06:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

pclausen,
Have you tried playing anything through media center?

I've been dragging my feet with regards to VMC as I was hoping MM3 would come out soon. I went ahead and downloaded MM server 2.47 and will install that soon so that I can begin testing all my BD/HD-DVD and DVD rips in VMC.
post #193 of 1506 Old 08-26-2008, 06:34 AM
AVS Special Member

The 15.11 drivers fixed the occasional color blocks in TMT when playing .MKV rips of BD movies. Still no HD accel in MPC-HC however.
post #194 of 1506 Old 08-26-2008, 07:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That would really be a shame. Have you tried any of the other front ends out there like MediaPortal? The look and feel is easy enough for my 6 year old to grasp-- you might be surprised.

I do not speak officially in any sense for
Intel Corp., Technology Manufacturing Group
but I do work there.
post #195 of 1506 Old 08-26-2008, 08:28 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pclausen View Post

The 15.11 drivers fixed the occasional color blocks in TMT when playing .MKV rips of BD movies. Still no HD accel in MPC-HC however.

I am hoping our boards were delayed in its release to fix this issue.
http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...ecode-problems

post #196 of 1506 Old 08-26-2008, 08:30 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wo0zy View Post

I know this sounds stupid but disable the VMC navigation sounds and close VMC. Make sure your audio is configured with the Intel HDMI device as the default, output set to 5.1, DD support enabled and "Exclusive Mode" enabled. Launch VMC and try again.

I have a theory as to why this works but let's see how you get on before I bother posting it.

There are also a couple of other ways around this but they involve more compromise than just losing VMC navigation "noises".

Wo0zy

I will try it now. I know the 5.1 setting does not help, but maybe shutting off the VMC sounds with 5.1 setting might do it.
Thanks, I will report back

post #197 of 1506 Old 08-26-2008, 08:30 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by archibael View Post

That would really be a shame. Have you tried any of the other front ends out there like MediaPortal? The look and feel is easy enough for my 6 year old to grasp-- you might be surprised.

Thanks, I will check it out.

post #198 of 1506 Old 08-26-2008, 08:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Wo0zy

How do you disable the VMC sounds? I only see a selection for 2-channel, quadraphonic, 5.1, and 7.1 sound. I'm sure I'm looking in the wrong place.

I'm tryin gto solve a problem where if I choose a VMC speaker setting of 5.1 or 7.1, my movies don't play at all. A "file needed to playback video is not found error - restart Media Center" (or something like that pops up). I have to use the 2-channel setting in VME to get a ripped DVD movie to play.
post #199 of 1506 Old 08-26-2008, 09:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
It's under VMC settings/general/visual&sound. I always turn them off since they are annoying.
post #200 of 1506 Old 08-26-2008, 09:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryBumkin View Post

I'm tryin gto solve a problem where if I choose a VMC speaker setting of 5.1 or 7.1, my movies don't play at all. A "file needed to playback video is not found error - restart Media Center" (or something like that pops up). I have to use the 2-channel setting in VME to get a ripped DVD movie to play.

Yep. This'll fix that too.

Alternatively just disable DD in "supported formats". As long as you have either a 5.1 or 7.1 speaker config, VMC will decode the DD and send it as multi-channel PCM. Obviously if you need DTS this isn't an option as VMC's decoder can't handle. If this is the case your only option is bitstream and therefore you'll have to disable the navigation sounds.

Wo0zy
post #201 of 1506 Old 08-26-2008, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grittree View Post

It's under VMC settings/general/visual&sound. I always turn them off since they are annoying.

Same here

Wo0zy
post #202 of 1506 Old 08-26-2008, 09:46 AM
Advanced Member

Damn this asus motherboard has been delayed to mid sept, any reason for it ?
post #203 of 1506 Old 08-26-2008, 09:54 AM

Liked: 147
Can someone provide a synopsis of this problem and how to fix it? What is lost by the "fix" we need to use?
post #204 of 1506 Old 08-26-2008, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stenvik View Post

Damn this asus motherboard has been delayed to mid sept, any reason for it ?

What do you mean? We are all posting about ourselves using it. I have one downstairs...
post #205 of 1506 Old 08-26-2008, 10:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thequinox View Post

What do you mean? We are all posting about ourselves using it. I have one downstairs...

Here in norway... first it was estimated to arrive 23 aug, then 28 aug and now 13 sept
post #206 of 1506 Old 08-26-2008, 11:04 AM

Quote:

Thanks, I will check it out.

Perhaps you give the XBMC (PC-Version also available) also a try.
It is still in development, but it is getting better and better.

This is the Media center I intend to use.
post #207 of 1506 Old 08-26-2008, 11:11 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Wo0zy

Ok, I tried your suggestion and it worked somewhat.
Thank You so much. I appreciate the help.
Although this fixed some problems it introduced some new problems.

I tested Media center with your fix and I also tried your fix with 7.1 instead of 5.1
The results were identical, So you can use 7.1 with this fix also.
The new problems introduced are that stopping a movie during playback still brings up the stop menu. Normally in that menu you would select DONE and the movie completely stops.

Now the movie stays in the background and will not completely stop. The same goes for a music file played. Now if you start another movie the new movie will take over. The same with a music file. But if using my movies and you start a Blu-Ray then the other movie will start along with the Blu-Ray.

(I am still testing to see what exactly triggers this next problem)
Also on some occasions while exiting Media Center the PC screen goes black with the mouse pointer in the center of the screen and the mouse pointer is rapidly flashing. You have no control over your PC at this time. You must do a hard reboot from the power switch. When the PC comes back you will no longer have 5.1 or 7.1 support. If you go into Audio Devices and select the Intel HDMI Audio device, when you go to configure the only option available is 2CH.
Another hard reboot will restore the 5.1 or 7.1 as you originally had it set.

This helps quite a bit, but once Media Center crashes it is a pain. Just also noticed - while navigating through Media center the movie that will not stop would randomly start playing again.

post #208 of 1506 Old 08-26-2008, 11:14 AM

It's here, for those that asked for it I have created a new thread to discuss this case. Click the image to redirect.

post #209 of 1506 Old 08-26-2008, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ok, I tried your suggestion and it worked somewhat.
Thank You so much. I appreciate the help.
Although this fixed some problems it introduced some new problems.

I tested Media center with your fix and I also tried your fix with 7.1 instead of 5.1
The results were identical, So you can use 7.1 with this fix also.
The new problems introduced are that stopping a movie during playback still brings up the stop menu. Normally in that menu you would select DONE and the movie completely stops.

Now the movie stays in the background and will not completely stop. The same goes for a music file played. Now if you start another movie the new movie will take over. The same with a music file. But if using my movies and you start a Blu-Ray then the other movie will start along with the Blu-Ray.

(I am still testing to see what exactly triggers this next problem)
Also on some occasions while exiting Media Center the PC screen goes black with the mouse pointer in the center of the screen and the mouse pointer is rapidly flashing. You have no control over your PC at this time. You must do a hard reboot from the power switch. When the PC comes back you will no longer have 5.1 or 7.1 support. If you go into Audio Devices and select the Intel HDMI Audio device, when you go to configure the only option available is 2CH.
Another hard reboot will restore the 5.1 or 7.1 as you originally had it set.

The first part I'm not sure about. Will do some testing tomorrow.

The second problem has a fix but it's not straight forward and it does tie in with what we suspect the main problem is

BTW you should find that CTRL+ALT+DEL will still allow you to launch task manager. I've seen this several times and it is recoverable without a reboot.

Anyway,

Firstly, you must disable the "persistence mode driver" (igfxpers.exe). You can manually stop this process in "Task Manager" but it will start again after a reboot. To disable it permanently you must delete its "Run" entry from the registry.

Open Regedit and navigate to HKLM\\Software\\Microsoft\\Windows\\CurrentVersion\\Run

You'll find the persistence entry here. Delete it (export the key for safety first if you wish). Reboot and then make sure that "igfxpers.exe" isn't running.

This will resolve the main part of the problem but it has a side-effect. Without persistence, you may find that loss of EDID i.e. switching away from your HTPC's input on the AVR, turning off the AVR and/or TV may cause your desktop resolution to revert to 800x600 (although providing you've run through the VMC display setup wizard VMC should be unaffected).

To get around the resolution reset you need to use DTDCalc (and this is where the fix gets tricky). The objective is to create a "fallback" DTD which matches your chosen resolution so that the system knows what timing it should be using when the persistence mode driver fails to report.

Firstly get DTDCalc installed (http://www.clevertec.co.uk/productsfree.htm).

Next go to the Intel graphics tray and click the little "i" button (top right). This will generate a report. Click the save button and a diagnostic report.txt file will be generated. This file contains the RAW EDID for your setup.

Copy the EDID (Hex values only) to the clipboard then launch DTDCalc (right-click the desktop icon and select "Run as Administrator" as we're going to be adding values to the registry). Next go to the "Interpret EDID" tab and paste you EDID from clipboard. Your EDID values will now appear in the window. Once you've done this click the "Interpret EDID" button. DTDCalc will then display all of the important data from your EDID. The bottom right-hand window contains the DTD's (Detailed Timing Descriptors) extracted from your EDID. Double-click on each DTD until you find the one that matches the resolution and refresh rate you are running (the values are displayed down the LHS).

Once you've found your DTD and loaded it (by double-clicking and seeing the correct values) go to the "Registry Hack" Tab. Click the "More" button to open up a DTD slot and then click the "Get Calculated" button. The DTD displayed along the bottom of the screen will now be displayed in the DTD1 slot. Finally click the "Write DTD's to Registry" button and reboot when prompted.

That's it.

If you have any questions feel free to ask. This isn't exactly "end-user" friendly but the final result should be. Just need to look into your first issue tomorrow and hope that the next driver release makes this process far more robust.

Wo0zy
post #210 of 1506 Old 08-26-2008, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stenvik View Post

Here in norway... first it was estimated to arrive 23 aug, then 28 aug and now 13 sept

I belive/hope that the first shipment is due around 28th but sold out, and that the second is due 13 sept. I reserved early.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page