What does ffdshow really do? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 08-24-2008, 09:04 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I've finally broken down and installed ffdshow on my HTPC, which, just about instantly, resovled all my media playback problems. It's a great program, it really does fix just about any format problem that you might be having.

That said, I'm not sure that I understand exactly what it does. I'm going to use audio as an example, but I'm curious for video as well. Here's how I see the "stack" in audio with ffdshow:

File -> media player -> ffdshow -> output device

My question is, when I play a file with; let's say, DTS-HD (which my reciever natively decodes), does ffdshow decode it and then re-encode it? And, if it does, do I lose quality (or it is just a translation).

I had a BD rip that had some audio problems in it, ffdshow fixed them, but, I just want to make sure that by running my data through that program I'm not degrading the sound quality (any more then I would by finding the right codec to install).

Is it superior to find the right codec and do away with the translations? Or do I have the wrong impression of ffdshow entirely?

Thanks for the help; I'll just say, for my files, ffdshow is like a mircle, after installing it, there's just about nothing that the system won't play. Great app!

My Onkyo 3008 (non-professional) review
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...php?p=19539055
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 08-24-2008, 09:17 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjfink View Post

My question is, when I play a file with; let's say, DTS-HD (which my reciever natively decodes), does ffdshow decode it and then re-encode it?

A computer cannot output a DTS-HD bitstream at this time. Maybe in the future.

My advice to you would be, if it works, don't worry about it.

My Blog - Ask Toy Tech
post #3 of 3 Old 08-24-2008, 10:04 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
LOL. That would be very good advice, I just can't stop messing with it, and, of course, I will probably wind up breaking it.

One follow-up question, where does seesaw2 come from? I can't seem to find it on the threads, although there is plenty of mention to it.

A better example would have been AC3, my reciever decodes that; does ffdshow deode it, and then reencode it back into AC3 for output to reciever? And if so, does this result in any loss of quality. CPU is not a concern, my HTPC has plenty of processor, I just don't want to lose quality in the encode/re-encode process.

Thx.

My Onkyo 3008 (non-professional) review
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...php?p=19539055
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page