post #181 of 240 Old 09-04-2008, 01:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFunBoater View Post

But that has nothing to do with DRM. Not being able to burn a copy for their iPod is a licensing restriction, not a DRM goal.

Oh yes it is, it's designed to prevent making any copy of any form whatsoever.

See what an anamorphoscopic lens can do, see movies the way they were meant to be seen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 240 Old 09-04-2008, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

My leg hurts. I'm not going to cut it off. I'm going to fix it.

why not do both? just cut it off, and replace it with a peg leg?

for the record, I really am not pro-pirate... I just want to be able to use the products I buy, in the manor I choose... and that wont effect the pirates in any way what so ever...

NOTE: As one wise professional something once stated, I am ignorant & childish, with a mindset comparable to 9/11 troofers and wackjob conspiracy theorists. so don't take anything I say as advice...
post #183 of 240 Old 09-04-2008, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post

So we should just accept BD+/AACS/et all, no matter how flawed they are? Because in theory, DRM if somehow implemented correctly might not be bad?

I say it's on the part of those pushing/implimenting DRM for them to sell me that the solution isn't bad

Are we actually agreeing? Yes, DRM should be fixed. And, yes, it up to the people coding DRM to fix DRM.

My only point from the beginning is that DRM isn't bad. Bad DRM is bad.
post #184 of 240 Old 09-04-2008, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjmarchini View Post

I leave you with this advice. Learn to enjoy masochism

Oh my God how true, wiser words have never been spoken!

"The next best thing to knowing something is knowing where to find it. "
post #185 of 240 Old 09-04-2008, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunbunnysoulja View Post

lol, do you guys realize you went back and forth and back and forth on this subject?

You guys are equally stubborn, so neither are going to change the others personal views or beliefs.

It's like, Yes,... No,... It does,... It doesn't,... It is,... It isn't... This is why... No, This is why.

lol, I'm all for debates, but this isn't going anywhere..

Haha, but either way, keep at it. This is pretty funny.

Who's willing to bet this hits 1,000 posts?

No kidding. Like most other threads, 99% of us agree on 99% of the issues. We're just too dumb to stop arguing about the other 1%.

Personally, I'm just bored, and I like to argue.
post #186 of 240 Old 09-04-2008, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Oh yes it is, it's designed to prevent making any copy of any form whatsoever.

If DRM went away you still wouldn't be able to make copies. That proves that it's not DRM that's stopping you. It's licensing that stops you. (Unless of course you're a pirate. )
post #187 of 240 Old 09-04-2008, 02:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somewhatlost View Post

why not do both? just cut it off, and replace it with a peg leg?

for the record, I really am not pro-pirate... I just want to be able to use the products I buy, in the manor I choose... and that wont effect the pirates in any way what so ever...

And I'm sure we agree on most of the issues. This argument really is silly, but it's a good time-killer.

And for the record, I like rum and I like big boats.
post #188 of 240 Old 09-04-2008, 02:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I think you don't get it. BD was not designed to for you to be able to do this. It is like saying that a Honda Civic should be able to submerge if given the right equipment... and then blaming Honda because you sprung a leak underwater.

does Honda make you call in every time you try to turn the ignition just to verify your license is correct? does honda purposely design their cars so that you can not install a non-honda stereo?
it really doesn't matter to me what our Benevolent Sony Overlords designed BR for, what matters is does it do what I want it to? or can I make it do what I want? I can drop a small block chevy (or a big block, that would be fun...) in a honda if I want to...

Quote:

They did not design BD with the idea of you being able to load it on to a media server. If they did, it would be like saying, "everyone just rent the disc and load it on your computer.... or better yet make your own copy and then return the disk... We don't really want you to buy the movie".

using your honda civic from above:
They did not design the Honda civic to exceed 50mph, if they did it would be like saying there are no speed limits...
yea I see how some people could think that made sense

Quote:

You do realize that Studios loath rental companies... right?

not my problem

NOTE: As one wise professional something once stated, I am ignorant & childish, with a mindset comparable to 9/11 troofers and wackjob conspiracy theorists. so don't take anything I say as advice...
post #189 of 240 Old 09-04-2008, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member

I couldn't resist. I need to work on that self control.

HD DVD: 45 SD DVD: 350 BR: 120
PCs: 12, Mame Arcade:1, HD HTPC: 1, WHS Server: 1, HD A3: 2, HD-A30: 1

post #190 of 240 Old 09-04-2008, 02:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somewhatlost View Post

does Honda make you call in every time you try to turn the ignition just to verify your license is correct? does honda purposely design their cars so that you can not install a non-honda stereo?
it really doesn't matter to me what our Benevolent Sony Overlords designed BR for, what matters is does it do what I want it to? or can I make it do what I want? I can drop a small block chevy (or a big block, that would be fun...) in a honda if I want to...

using your honda civic from above:
They did not design the Honda civic to exceed 50mph, if they did it would be like saying there are no speed limits...
yea I see how some people could think that made sense

not my problem

actually, they are designed to go well past 100.

And you can do anything you want with it... but it can void your warranty. And Honda does make you call in..... its called an oil change.

--------

Put your media on your server all you want... just don't come whining to me when they bust down your door

post #191 of 240 Old 09-04-2008, 02:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Sigh....
post #192 of 240 Old 09-04-2008, 02:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapone View Post

Sigh....

C'mon! Join in the fun! I'll start...

Your mama smells like DRM and your wife can't even spell it.

See! Good times!

post #193 of 240 Old 09-04-2008, 02:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

actually, they are designed to go well past 100.

Meh, not by much

A couple weeks ago up at the drag strip, you got all the kids with their civics and integra's, only to get schooled by Mustangs. It's funny how kids think adding an obnoxious exhaust make their car fast... lol

I actually don't think a single Honda had a trap over 100 mph...

While those with real cars (MUSTANGS, FTMFW!) trap at 120+ in the 11's...

And then you got old men paying $70k for vettes to end up run 12's, and us with late 80's/early 90's Fox Notch's school them all day long.. For about $60k less.
post #194 of 240 Old 09-04-2008, 02:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It's funny how kids think adding an obnoxious exhaust make their car fast... lol

Whaaaaaaaattttt????? The buzzy, farty sound doesn't make you go faster? No way! How about the dual subwoofers in the backseat. Surely they make a difference?!
post #195 of 240 Old 09-04-2008, 02:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

And for the record, I like rum and I like big boats.

How do you feel about peg legs and eye patches? (asks the old retired fart in the midst of recovering from a total knee replacement and a detached retina)

A few posts back somebody pointed out that BR was specifically designed to NOT allow you to load the movie onto "other devices" because they want to sell you the same movie again and again for each device. If you believe that, then I agree......... Learn to live with the crap because it will never end.

BB

New wealth is created in 2 ways:
You dig it from the ground (mining and oil)
Or you grow it (fishing, farming and forestry).
Everything else is just processing what you dug up or grew.
post #196 of 240 Old 09-04-2008, 02:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Meh, not by much

A couple weeks ago up at the drag strip, you got all the kids with their civics and integra's, only to get schooled by Mustangs. It's funny how kids think adding an obnoxious exhaust make their car fast... lol

I actually don't think a single Honda had a trap over 100 mph...

While those with real cars (MUSTANGS, FTMFW!) trap at 120+ in the 11's...

And then you got old men paying $70k for vettes to end up run 12's, and us with late 80's/early 90's Fox Notch's school them all day long.. For about $60k less.

I guess you have seen the new Si's lately. I work in a Pontiac/Cadillac/Honda dealership (I am in internet marketing... not in sales).

I am a Ford guy personally (Mazda Tribute and Ford Mustang convertible)

the new Civic Si's (since 2006) have a 200 hp engine in those tiny little cars. They really can move. Of course, they cost 22K. 0-60 in 6.3 seconds with factory specs. My GT wil still blow them out of the water though.

When I was a kid, I had one of those first gen Civic Si's. I got it going up past the 125 on the odometer once. I thought the panels were going to fly off though. . ah, to be yound and stupid again.

post #197 of 240 Old 09-04-2008, 03:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbird999 View Post

How do you feel about peg legs and eye patches? (asks the old retired fart in the midst of recovering from a total knee replacement and a detached retina)

A few posts back somebody pointed out that BR was specifically designed to NOT allow you to load the movie onto "other devices" because they want to sell you the same movie again and again for each device. If you believe that, then I agree......... Learn to live with the crap because it will never end.

BB

BR is gone in 5 years (according to Samsung) so I guess it's all moot.

And even if you are old and falling apart, you can still be a Boat Monkey for me. There's always lots of low-skill, poor-pay work on the Happy Fun Boat! But also plenty of rum!
post #198 of 240 Old 09-04-2008, 03:09 PM
AVS Special Member

This thread is winding down, and my arguments were unbeatable. Can we all just declare me the winner so we can move on? Thank you for your support.
post #199 of 240 Old 09-04-2008, 03:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Damn, that really does make feel like an old fart now.....

My daily ride - 2001 BMW 740i sport

My "fun" ride - 89 Lotus Esprit.

post #200 of 240 Old 09-04-2008, 03:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

My daily ride - 2001 BMW 740i sport

lol... noooo not you... your cool.

Gorgeous cars, btw. The 740i is one of my faves.
post #201 of 240 Old 09-04-2008, 03:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:

Are we actually agreeing? Yes, DRM should be fixed. And, yes, it up to the people coding DRM to fix DRM.

We are agreeing that the current DRM is fubar, yes

Quote:

My only point from the beginning is that DRM isn't bad. Bad DRM is bad.

I think at best, DRM is net pointless.

Quote:

If DRM went away you still wouldn't be able to make copies. That proves that it's not DRM that's stopping you. It's licensing that stops you. (Unless of course you're a pirate. )

Let's see CDs are DRM free, the content industry would argue they are "licensed" the same as movies, yet I can easily and legally make a copy of a CD for personal use.

I can not do that legally with DVDs or BDs, thus I say the DRM is preventing me from doing something legal I expect to be able to do.

Quote:

I think you don't get it. BD was not designed to for you to be able to do this. It is like saying that a Honda Civic should be able to submerge if given the right equipment... and then blaming Honda because you sprung a leak underwater.

No, it's not like that at all. The situation we have with BD, is that the creators are actively, intentionally inhibiting novel uses of their product. It would be like Honda running a scan on your car every time you start it to make sure it's on an "approved" road, and that you haven't made any modifications to it. It would be like Honda installing technology that prevents you from installing ground effects, aftermarket wheels, aftermarket stereo, suspension, performance parts, etc, etc.

If car makers were to build their cards with technology that prevents use/installation of 3rd party aftermarket accessories people would scream bloody murder. Aftermarket auto parts are a massive industry, and auto makers understand that there's is significant life, and profit to be had for their products outside of their direct design goals. Look at the auto makers that are explicitly advertising the customization of their cars, and all the other auto manufacturers that have a significant presence in the aftermarket.

We should not be beholden to the creators of the product or the owners of the copyright/patent to conceive of, or plan for, or explicitly allow for every possible use contingency.

If products could only be used for or in their original intended/designed purpose, then innovation would be completely stiffled. CDs were not designed to be ripped to PCs and transferred to portable players. The existence of the iPod, Sonos, Squeezebox, and a myriad of other media players is due to the openness of CD and the fact that people saw possibilities beyond what the format's creators saw/designed for/intended and weren't prevented from doing so by technological measures. THe CD "aftermarket" thrives today, not because of the plans/designs/intensions of the creators of CD, but because they didn't lock their format down like subsequent formats.

Kaleidescape exists in spite of the design of DVD, and only due to a loophole in the licensing. How many more DVD server options would we have today if DVD were "open" like CD such that Pioneer, Sony, HK, Denon, Microsoft, and everyone else could make DVD servers and streamers?

How much has the DVD "aftermarket" been stiffled by CSS? CD's openness has lead to well over $10 billion in "aftermarket" sales in iPods alone, how much more in other media players. How much would a similarly open DVD have produced?

Despite all that today we're just starting to see an emergence of DVD servers that support "unencrypted" DVDs, but this is only due to the industry having given up on CSS, and companies being a bit bolder, but their penetration is still very small, largely due to the fact that they've got to skirt the edges of legality and due to CSS are more complex to use than most people want to deal with.

Quote:

They did not design BD with the idea of you being able to load it on to a media server.

Neither was CD, but it created a huge ecosystem of digital audio products that, I bet, massively outweighs any of the negative effects of piracy. Do you think there'd be 100 million iPods out there if you couldn't rip your CD collection into iTunes and load it onto your iPod?

Quote:

You do realize that Studios loath rental companies... right?

They loath a lot of things.

Quote:

And with DVD, you can.... but you aren't supposed to. DVD was also not designed for you to do that. If it were legal, an industrial nation like Nero, PowerDVD or WinDVD would allow you to do this with their software.

Exactly! Look at the whole set of innovative functionality that's been stiffled by CSS and the illegality of ripping DVDs.

Quote:

It is not that they can't, it is that they are not legally allowed to. The person that designed DVDshrink was the designer for Nero's Vision DVD software after he closed up shop on DVD shrink (which is why it was never updated after 3.2)

And just imagine what sorts of products there would be if one could legally rip DVDs....

See what an anamorphoscopic lens can do, see movies the way they were meant to be seen
post #202 of 240 Old 09-04-2008, 03:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I guess you have seen the new Si's lately. I work in a Pontiac/Cadillac/Honda dealership (I am in internet marketing... not in sales).

I am a Ford guy personally (Mazda Tribute and Ford Mustang convertible)

the new Civic Si's (since 2006) have a 200 hp engine in those tiny little cars. They really can move. Of course, they cost 22K. 0-60 in 6.3 seconds with factory specs. My GT wil still blow them out of the water though.

When I was a kid, I had one of those first gen Civic Si's. I got it going up past the 125 on the odometer once. I thought the panels were going to fly off though. . ah, to be yound and stupid again.

lol, I actually lined up against one of the new si's. Pretty car, but he ran 15.2 @ 94. The slip is prob around here somewhere. I only remember because it was the highlight of my night, becuase he keep looking over at the halfbreed, like he was gonna demolish it. I kept laughing at how he didn't even trap past 100.

The greatest part is his girlfriend was in the car, and he got schooled.

Also schooled a 350z, and a 280sx (who wanted a rematch... don't even know what he was thinking).

Got beaten by my fave car though (92 Notch, 331 stroker, P1SC).

post #203 of 240 Old 09-04-2008, 03:24 PM
Advanced Member

Love the Lotus! I've put in quite a few hours on the new models (Elise/Exige) and they are really fun cars, the weight is really something else; it's like being in a go-kart on the road!

Quote:

My Onkyo 3008 (non-professional) review
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...php?p=19539055
post #204 of 240 Old 09-04-2008, 03:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Let's see CDs are DRM free, the content industry would argue they are "licensed" the same as movies, yet I can easily and legally make a copy of a CD for personal use.

Ergo, you're a pirate. No wonder you hate DRM.
post #205 of 240 Old 09-04-2008, 03:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Sony/BMG has gone on public record and stated that ripping a CD you own is just like stealing.

Never mind that the same parent company's PS3 does it natively.
post #206 of 240 Old 09-04-2008, 03:45 PM
Advanced Member

This is one of those things that makes no sense at all. Movie interests have totally distorted the meaning of copyright and twisted the laws into the craziness where they currently stand.

There's really 2 ways that you can look at purchasing a DVD/BD disk.

The first way is that you are buying a physical thing; a thing that you have the right to do anything you want to do with (rip, burn 1000 copies, light on fire, throw out the window, etc). if you lose the physical thing, of course, you have to buy a new one, but, intrinsically, you can also do whatever it is you want to do with it without violating any laws.

The second way is buying a right to view media, or the rights to a particular piece of intellectual property. The perfect example of this is Windows XP licenses. You can do whatever the heck you want with it; copy the CD, burn an ISO, light the media on fire, or throw it out the window. What you've purchased is the right to USE the intellectual property of someone else (in this case MSFT), that IP is delivered on CD, but the delivery media is totally inconsequential.

The movie (and CD) industry wants (and pushes) a hybrid (and, as you point out, repulsive) version of these 2 logical licensing models. You don't own the physical thing (as evidenced by the fact that ripping a DVD is illegal) and you don't own a license either (as evidenced by the fact that if you lose the media, you get to buy a license again).

This is a ridiculous licensing model. If it's a license to view the content just let me download the darn thing and setup a "store" where all my DVDs that I have purchased are available for retrieval (with their licenses). If its a physical thing, get over it when I rip it to my computer; it's MINE, I can anything I want to do with it (as long as other's aren't harmed, and YES, file sharing it across the Internet would be harming another party!).. I can rip it, transcode it, watch it on 10 TVs at one time (that are all in my house), and stream it across the Internet to my laptop in a hotel room.

And, yes, I realize that this argument is "pointless" and not going anywhere in particular. But it's debate, and that's what debate is about; trying to examine all the issues and make others see things from your perspective. If you think it's pointless, don't contribute/read it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defcon View Post

Movie and music studios don't lose money due to piracy. There have been studies that prove quite the opposite, and they are making billions in profit. They also want us to pay multiple times for the same movie on dvd, ipod, a copy on my pc etc, which is absolutely repulsive. They have made the laws to do this by paying off senators and congress to push their agenda.

This is why technically you don't own any content, just the right to view it. And they are trying to make this right as restrictive as possible. DRM is an exercise in seeing just how much they can get away with. And unfortunately for us, most people are willing to put up with a LOT, because they don't know any better. Only when there is a big public outcry (like in the case of music downloads) will they finally do something that is consumer friendly.

In the meantime, they continue to get draconian laws like DMCA and ACTA passed, with hardly a mention in the popular media about their true implications, taking away what little rights we have and making it easier to punish us. The corporations we make richer and the government we elect both work actively against out interests, counting on our ignorance and apathy, and we have no one but ourselves to blame.

post #207 of 240 Old 09-04-2008, 04:27 PM
AVS Special Member

you silly old people with your cars...
everyone knows to have fun you need one of these:

well, you don't need a Buell as such, I just went with it since it was different then everything else, and unlike Confederate Motorcycles, I can actually afford a Buell...
and it can do 10.5 in 1/4... of course, only it can, not me... I would probably end up sitting at the start watching my bike go off without me...
of course if you really want to go fast in the 1/4, its hard to beat a 'busa or zx1400 ...

post #208 of 240 Old 09-04-2008, 05:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

We are agreeing that the current DRM is fubar, yes

I think at best, DRM is net pointless.

I can not do that legally with DVDs or BDs, thus I say the DRM is preventing me from doing something legal I expect to be able to do.

No, it's not like that at all. The situation we have with BD, is that the creators are actively, intentionally inhibiting novel uses of their product. It would be like Honda running a scan on your car every time you start it to make sure it's on an "approved" road, and that you haven't made any modifications to it. It would be like Honda installing technology that prevents you from installing ground effects, aftermarket wheels, aftermarket stereo, suspension, performance parts, etc, etc.

If car makers were to build their cards with technology that prevents use/installation of 3rd party aftermarket accessories people would scream bloody murder. Aftermarket auto parts are a massive industry, and auto makers understand that there's is significant life, and profit to be had for their products outside of their direct design goals. Look at the auto makers that are explicitly advertising the customization of their cars, and all the other auto manufacturers that have a significant presence in the aftermarket.

We should not be beholden to the creators of the product or the owners of the copyright/patent to conceive of, or plan for, or explicitly allow for every possible use contingency.

If products could only be used for or in their original intended/designed purpose, then innovation would be completely stiffled. CDs were not designed to be ripped to PCs and transferred to portable players. The existence of the iPod, Sonos, Squeezebox, and a myriad of other media players is due to the openness of CD and the fact that people saw possibilities beyond what the format's creators saw/designed for/intended and weren't prevented from doing so by technological measures. THe CD "aftermarket" thrives today, not because of the plans/designs/intensions of the creators of CD, but because they didn't lock their format down like subsequent formats.

Kaleidescape exists in spite of the design of DVD, and only due to a loophole in the licensing. How many more DVD server options would we have today if DVD were "open" like CD such that Pioneer, Sony, HK, Denon, Microsoft, and everyone else could make DVD servers and streamers?

How much has the DVD "aftermarket" been stiffled by CSS? CD's openness has lead to well over $10 billion in "aftermarket" sales in iPods alone, how much more in other media players. How much would a similarly open DVD have produced?

Despite all that today we're just starting to see an emergence of DVD servers that support "unencrypted" DVDs, but this is only due to the industry having given up on CSS, and companies being a bit bolder, but their penetration is still very small, largely due to the fact that they've got to skirt the edges of legality and due to CSS are more complex to use than most people want to deal with.

Neither was CD, but it created a huge ecosystem of digital audio products that, I bet, massively outweighs any of the negative effects of piracy. Do you think there'd be 100 million iPods out there if you couldn't rip your CD collection into iTunes and load it onto your iPod?

They loath a lot of things.

Exactly! Look at the whole set of innovative functionality that's been stiffled by CSS and the illegality of ripping DVDs.

And just imagine what sorts of products there would be if one could legally rip DVDs....

Actually.... we do scan the cars for abuse and have inspectors from Honda come out to look at vehicles with suspicious repairs.

CDs are DRM because the industry never thought this would be a problem. If they knew then what they know now, they would have DRM. And they tried to implement it midstream with bad pits and tracks but this failed.

And by "novel uses", I assume you mean .... pirating. No officer, I didn't steal that TV... I was just borrowing it.

And yes auto do have non aftermarket part. If you did own a BMW, you would know that you need a special tool to change the oil on the newer ones. Adding an aftermarket cruise can void your warranty. And don't just say that it can't. I actually know as I am in the industry and have seen it happen. We even had a Nissan customer whose warranty was voided because they got their oil changed at Pep Boys.

My point is that DRM has its benefits. It is not all evil. I think the problem that most folks seem to have most of the time is not DRM, but HDCP. Hence why so many people end up having to get AnyDVD HD.

And it isn't just a problem with Bluray for that. I had the same problem with Netflix watch instantly. I used to have my old HTPC hooked up to my flat screen CRT 27" for a time when netflix first introduced the watch instantly feature. I couldn't get it to play. why? because I was sending it out the s-video. Apparrently on Nvidia cards, they are worried that I might pirate the s-video video feed.

But with time, these problem go away and fix themselves. My Projector has no problems whatsoever. My HD2600xt has no problems whatsoever.

The only time that I have not been able to play a bluray on my HTPC was when I tried to select DTS-MA in Nero - codec problem. But then again, alot of standalone can't handle that either. Funny thing though is that it handles TrueHD just fine.

----------------------------------

HERE IS THE SAD PART.

Playback issues have little to do with BD or BD+. It has to do with the creators of the software playback programs. PowerDVD still doesn't have their #$%^ together. Nero is not where it should be. Microsoft isn't even in the game yet. WinDVD bailed. I have checked out the Arcsoft player. I probably should. Think about it. I could understand problem with a standalone with no way to update, but a program that is almost always connected to the internet, that can be updated on a daily basis to make it work, which they are selling as being able to playback this stuff not working. That is the ridiculous part. The and the even sadder part is you have to pay a premium in order to use their "beta" stage product. If the PS3 can play it back with a software player.... then why can't the PC?

Ripping movies to a media server and violating the copyright statutes by removing the DRM is a crime. And that is another discussion. If it wasn't, other companies would be able to do it. So..... by convenience and free use, you are basically upset that you are having trouble breaking the law. Let me get out my violin.

-------

I used to have a Ducati. I traded it in for my new toy..... 1988 Porsche 944 turbo. Not the coolest of Porsches but it is mint and like new. I really don't count it as one of my cars though. I gets about 200-300 miles per year.

post #209 of 240 Old 09-04-2008, 05:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

And by "novel uses", I assume you mean .... pirating. No officer, I didn't steal that TV... I was just borrowing it.

why do you assume novel uses = pirating? just because something isn't blessed by our All Powerful Media Overlords does not mean it is pirating, at least not until they buy the law that makes it pirating...

Quote:

And yes auto do have non aftermarket part. If you did own a BMW, you would know that you need a special tool to change the oil on the newer ones. Adding an aftermarket cruise can void your warranty. And don't just say that it can't. I actually know as I am in the industry and have seen it happen. We even had a Nissan customer whose warranty was voided because they got their oil changed at Pep Boys.

any dealership will claim anything to get out of doing warranty repairs... this is not news, this has been going on since there were dealerships...
IANAL, but there is some statute/law/thingy/whatever that you can use, and you will win if you bother to take them to court over it... most people don't bother...

post #210 of 240 Old 09-04-2008, 06:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

<<SNIP>>
Ripping movies to a media server and violating the copyright statutes by removing the DRM is a crime. And that is another discussion. If it wasn't, other companies would be able to do it. So..... by convenience and free use, you are basically upset that you are having trouble breaking the law. Let me get out my violin.

No, by "novel uses" I mean things like:

Making a media server with 100's or 1,000's of purchased DVDs available at the click of a button.

Streaming media from a central server to TVs all across my home; shifting seamlessly midstream from one TV to another as I get tired and need to go to bed.

Taking a movie that I was watching at home, and putting it on my PSP to finish on my way to the airport.

Opening up my laptop on the airplane and having a sizable portion of my movies there with my while I fly.

Going to a friends house and opening a VPN to my network; then live streaming any movie from my collection to their systems.

Never losing/scratching/damaging a DVD again (my primary reason for the whole media server, with the secondary goal of convenience).

And, no, I'm not "having trouble" breaking the law. It's very, very easy, almost laughably so now that I have learned all the techniques necessary to move my digital media to my networked systems. My complaint isn't that "it's hard" to break the law, or even that "it annoys me that I have to break the copy protection". My problem is that many of the things that most people would consider FAIR use of the media REQUIRES me to strip the copy protection (and thereby, break the law). I need to use AnyDVDHD with my HTPC to play BR disk; if I rip it to the computer (break the law), all my problems disappear. I need to DeCSS a DVD to move it into a file on my laptop so I can take it on the plane with me. I need to re-encode (and rip) my movies to compress them to the right resolution to fit on my PSP.

I have no trouble accomplishing what I want to do. My problem is much more abstract; I have a problem breaking the law to accomplish something that, in almost anyone's eyes, is simply a fair use of the media that I have purchased. I don't want to be a criminal...

This is VERY similar to what happened (BTW) in the software world. 15 years ago, if you lost your Windows 3.1 (or DOS... Ugh) disks.. Guess what? Your SOL. And there was DRM (of sorts) on the disks to prevent copying. The disks PLUS the license composed the "right" to use the software.

Software has come a LONG way since then, and it's where media needs to get to ASAP (to prevent an absolute deluge of piracy as systems become faster, and technology more accessible---Again, think CDs). A few months ago I "lost" software that is worth several 100 thousand dollars (well, actually, I deleted it accidentally.. Whole different story... A few hundred 2 proc VMware ESX server licenses, POOF).

Anyway, I now have no media, and no licenses; I had lost everything. What happened? Well, I logged into the site, and about 5 minutes later, had all my licenses and media downloaded again, and ready to install. And that's 1/2 a million dollars worth of software; retrieved with nothing more then a username/password. The media is insignificant, I have lots of clients that have spent millions of dollars on software and NEVER gotten so much as a CD. All you get is the RIGHT to use the product (and the licenses to activate, in some cases).

DVD/BD technology is back in the old "Ya lost the disk, buy Wordperfect 5.1 for 300 bucks again" days of software. And let me tell you; that technology was grossly flawed. Since that has died, I have seen MUCH less software piracy then I did in the "old" days. I never knew anyone who bought DOS (or even Windows 3.1 for that matter) everyone knew someone who had a set of disks that was still working!

DVDs and media in general are SO well suited to the "license file" type of DRM it makes absolutely no sense why they haven't gotten there. There's simply no excuse other then greed. I could design a "reasonably" secure (better then DVD/BD) licensing model that would allow FULL control over the files with roles based access controls to actually view the content in a few months. It's trival, there's 100's or 1000's of models to work from, all of which are working, and some of which are truly wonderful.

It's not done because of greed, plain and simple. And, because of that, I shed no tears when I see movies all over the download sites every other day. Offer the customers what they want, and they will happily pay for it.

Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page