post #271 of 9551 Old 09-02-2008, 04:21 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by roscoe62 View Post

myAV,

First off, thank you so much for your early info on the HDAV 1.3 - it's really appreciated!

My question is - most of the media I'll be using the card for will simply be mkv files with 5.1/7.1 LPCM audio. Do you know whether the HDAV 1.3 will still pass this data out via HDMI without any issues - I won't be using TMT as the software player, and my OS is XP.

Again, any info you can provide is appreciated!!

Cheers
Ross

I don't have any mkv files with 5.1/7.1 LPCM audio to try.But I can tell you, this card sends plain old AC3/DTS 5.1 tracks with any player like KMplayer and MPC-HC..etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 9551 Old 09-02-2008, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingernst View Post

hei myAV, received my question?!

I received it. Just be cool.
post #273 of 9551 Old 09-02-2008, 04:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by myAV View Post

Here is what I did
I ran some comparative scenes from Die hard 4.0 through both the PS3 and Pioneer LX80. I selected a few bass heavy action sequences for the test.

First I ran them through the PS3 with it internally decoding the DTS-HD MA signal and outputting it as LPCM to my Integra 8.8. And then running the same scenes through the LX80 output via bitstream to the integra offered a substantial difference over the LPCM decoded signal from the PS3 in LFE output, dynamics and detail. This was not what I would call a subtle difference but one that was plainly obvious.

I used the same output level on the receiver and just simply switched sources. It didn't simply sound like a difference in volume. The quality of the audio via the LX80 sounded better articulated and distinctly punchier with definitively deeper bass.

Sorry if it seems I am picking on you, I really appreciate your info on here.

When using LPCM can you confirm the Audio on the 8.8 was set to LPCM and not another 'surround' setting?

Do you know whether the 8.8 applies Audyssey to both LPCM and Bitstream? I know the new Marantz Pre/Pro for instance does not, as it does not have enough processing power to decode HD and apply Audyssey. Easiest way to check is to disable Audyssey of course

Thanks,

Adam
post #274 of 9551 Old 09-02-2008, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichB View Post

Do you know what the power draw is? I am curious why this board needs an external power connector?

- Rich

It is for the Splendid HD chip for smooth 1080p/24Hz processing.
post #275 of 9551 Old 09-02-2008, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myAV View Post

It is for the Splendid HD chip for smooth 1080p/24Hz processing.

Actually didn't the previous Xonar models that didn't have HDMI or a Splendid processor also use the extra power cable too? I think the card's generally power hungry - might be the lights on the back to help you wire speaker cables into the correct holes.
post #276 of 9551 Old 09-02-2008, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelEyes View Post

Sorry if it seems I am picking on you, I really appreciate your info on here.

When using LPCM can you confirm the Audio on the 8.8 was set to LPCM and not another 'surround' setting?

Do you know whether the 8.8 applies Audyssey to both LPCM and Bitstream? I know the new Marantz Pre/Pro for instance does not, as it does not have enough processing power to decode HD and apply Audyssey. Easiest way to check is to disable Audyssey of course

Thanks,

Adam

From my experiences with my Onkyo 875 I'm pretty sure it won't apply post-processing on lpcm input which is why I assumed it sounds different. I don't have a lpcm input to test with at the moment. But I did particularly notice that with lpcm 5.1 from a playstation it wouldn't even provide 7.1 expansion and rear channels were just dead. So theres certainly limitations to what it will do with a pcm source compared to a bitstream.

Certainly same issue with feeding it analogue. I found it sounded much better feeding it a DD 5.1 bitstream, have Audyssey post processing and 7.1 expansion than feeding it a high quality lpcm -> analogue input and having no Audyssey, 7.1 expansion and whatever other processing it normally does.
post #277 of 9551 Old 09-02-2008, 05:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausvette View Post

From my experiences with my Onkyo 875 I'm pretty sure it won't apply post-processing on lpcm input which is why I assumed it sounds different. I don't have a lpcm input to test with at the moment. But I did particularly notice that with lpcm 5.1 from a playstation it wouldn't even provide 7.1 expansion and rear channels were just dead. So theres certainly limitations to what it will do with a pcm source compared to a bitstream.

Certainly same issue with feeding it analogue. I found it sounded much better feeding it a DD 5.1 bitstream, have Audyssey post processing and 7.1 expansion than feeding it a high quality lpcm -> analogue input and having no Audyssey, 7.1 expansion and whatever other processing it normally does.

This is completely untrue, there are any number of post processing audio presets you can apply to LPCM. You need to check the manual

Adam

EDIT: Check page 72 for the presets that can be applied, I would suggest Neural THX 7.1 for expanding the soundfield. BTW don't set your PC to output 192khz as the Onkyo assumes you are connecting a DVD-A/SACD connection and disables the presets I mentioned so this may be your problem.
post #278 of 9551 Old 09-02-2008, 08:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Sept 10th! calendar marked! I've been waiting for this card to finish my htpc client down in the HT room!!

btw, I don't see it's been mentioned, but what's this "It is for the Splendid HD chip for smooth 1080p/24Hz processing." mean??? does it mean we also finally have a good 24p solution from htpc??? (I know pretty much all current video card/chipset output has problem w/ 24fps)

my projector has a 24hz mode that works great when receiving 1080p/24hz materials (e.g. PS3) and will only display it at 48hz mode to make it more film like for movies.

~ Gary

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

)

post #279 of 9551 Old 09-02-2008, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by landshark1 View Post

Sept 10th! calendar marked! I've been waiting for this card to finish my htpc client down in the HT room!!

btw, I don't see it's been mentioned, but what's this "It is for the Splendid HD chip for smooth 1080p/24Hz processing." mean???....

It is post processing circuitry that should be avoided.
post #280 of 9551 Old 09-02-2008, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausvette View Post

Not true at all. But, this highlights an issue with LPCM that has nothing to do with the quality (which is identical to bitstream). That is, some LPCM sources open up the full 7.1 channels, no matter what's being sent. Doing that prevents any matrixing, since technically your AVR is receiving 7.1 channels (just that 2 are blank).

But I know the matrixing does work given a properly configured source device. I send 5.1 LPCM from my HTPC, and my Onkyo 905 happily matrixes the rear surrounds to turn it into 7.1.

TiVo is on it's way out -
!
post #281 of 9551 Old 09-02-2008, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
is the manual available for this yet ?

I'm very interested in one - but concerned about the analogue outs

whether this card finally has proper bass management for D.Digital/DTS etc, and or Dolby/DTS on-board decoding ? Speaker delays in drivers, eq for speakers ?

if not then the Deluxe is no step forward for analogue users other than it having decent op-amp drivers all-round
post #282 of 9551 Old 09-02-2008, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markabuckley View Post

is the manual available for this yet ?

I'm very interested in one - but concerned about the analogue outs

whether this card finally has proper bass management for D.Digital/DTS etc, and or Dolby/DTS on-board decoding ? Speaker delays in drivers, eq for speakers ?

if not then the Deluxe is no step forward for analogue users other than it having decent op-amp drivers all-round

would you use this card as pre-amp ? i'd like to do the same, but on asus international i cannot find the manual yet.
someone can help us?
post #283 of 9551 Old 09-02-2008, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Not quite Angel72 as an input into a high end receiver - but had by fingers burnt with a X-Fi Prelude which did not do what I wanted (bass management was a nightmare) as was speaker delays (which some programs allowed for and others not)

makes difference to next amp I buy ... if I go for

HD-audio via HDMI - then something like a Yamaha 3800, Pioneer 94TX etc

but HD-audio via analogue - then the lure of a Arcam AVR-350 (cheap in the UK at now as end ofline) - is very tempting

I still feel away from the alure of HD audio, bitstream etc the Arcam would be the better amp - but if I can't get the analogue I need out of my HTPC then its not an option
post #284 of 9551 Old 09-02-2008, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

I don't suppose this thing will do the pre-amp job well by accepting DD5.1 in from the cable box to be sent out the analog outs? I know My Xonar D2X does not do this function . . .

Lifespeed
post #285 of 9551 Old 09-02-2008, 11:25 AM

Can anyone tell me if i will notice a difference on lossless audio on my setup Below, im planning on getting a Blu Ray rom and The Asus Card for xmas im currently using onboard sound with SPDIF out

Fronts: Kef Q7 Floorstanding
kef.com/history/2000/q/qseries7.asp

Rears: Kef Q1 Bookshelf
kef.com/history/2000/q/qseries1.asp

Centre: Kef Q6C
kef.com/history/2000/q/qseries6c.asp

Subwoofer: SVS 20-39 PCi
svsound.com/products-sub-cyl-pcpow2.cfm

(Add www. to above links couldnt add them properly as im a newbie)

With a recently bought Onkyo 606 Reciever

Thanks in advance

Mark
post #286 of 9551 Old 09-02-2008, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbMagFab View Post

Not true at all. But, this highlights an issue with LPCM that has nothing to do with the quality (which is identical to bitstream). That is, some LPCM sources open up the full 7.1 channels, no matter what's being sent. Doing that prevents any matrixing, since technically your AVR is receiving 7.1 channels (just that 2 are blank).

But I know the matrixing does work given a properly configured source device. I send 5.1 LPCM from my HTPC, and my Onkyo 905 happily matrixes the rear surrounds to turn it into 7.1.

Thanks for adding that, I hadn't considered it in my answer to the same post.

Adam
post #287 of 9551 Old 09-02-2008, 11:42 AM

Liked: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelEyes View Post

Thanks for adding that, I hadn't considered it in my answer to the same post.

Adam

Agreed. I am currently suffering from that...I send 7.1 to my AVR, but when it is only a stereo souce, I only get 2 channels worth of sound.

With bitstream, I can set Windows to 2 channel and let the AVR matrix that out...then let TMT bitstream the proper channels to the AVR.
post #288 of 9551 Old 09-02-2008, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifespeed View Post

I don't suppose this thing will do the pre-amp job well by accepting DD5.1 in from the cable box to be sent out the analog outs? I know My Xonar D2X does not do this function . . .

Oh no!!! So this new card won't decode DD and DTS over hdmi or optical in? I need that functionality! Can myAv confirm this?

I got my x-fi elite pro modded with cap and opamp upgrade but the guy who modded it royally screwed up my card. The center/sub doesn't work and my front channels exhibit crackling after prolonged use. Also, it made my HTPC unstable

I'm hoping the hdav 1.3 can be the replacement for my x-fi elite.
post #289 of 9551 Old 09-02-2008, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salvador View Post

Oh no!!! So this new card won't decode DD and DTS over hdmi or optical in? I need that functionality! Can myAv confirm this?

I got my x-fi elite pro modded with cap and opamp upgrade but the guy who modded it royally screwed up my card. The center/sub doesn't work and my front channels exhibit crackling after prolonged use. Also, it made my HTPC unstable

I'm hoping the hdav 1.3 can be the replacement for my x-fi elite.

That's more about the software players. Both TMT and PDVD, for example, will do this today. As will software like MediaPortal and just about everything else.

Don't panic!

!
post #290 of 9551 Old 09-02-2008, 12:07 PM

Quote:

That's more about the software players. Both TMT and PDVD, for example, will do this today. As will software like MediaPortal and just about everything else.

Don't panic!

I don't use my HTPC as my dvd/bluray player. Before my x-fi elite pro got borked, I was using my PS3 + optical out for dvd/bluray movies. I didn't need any extra software to decode the DD or DTS coming from the optical connection. The x-fi drivers would detect the stream and decode it automatically. I pretty much want to keep my setup that way.

I'm pretty much in a state of panic since my x-fi got damaged. As I mentioned before the front channels still work so I'm actually hearing the amazing difference the 4562+cap upgrade did. So with the xonar hdav 1.3 I would pretty much be getting the new found sound quality that I'm enjoying right now AND hopefully include DD/DTS decoding through hdmi/optical in.
post #291 of 9551 Old 09-02-2008, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I don't use my HTPC as my dvd/bluray player. Before my x-fi elite pro got borked, I was using my PS3 + optical out for dvd/bluray movies. I didn't need any extra software to decode the DD or DTS coming from the optical connection. The x-fi drivers would detect the stream and decode it automatically. I pretty much want to keep my setup that way.

I'm pretty much in a state of panic since my x-fi got damaged. As I mentioned before the front channels still work so I'm actually hearing the amazing difference the 4562+cap upgrade did. So with the xonar hdav 1.3 I would pretty much be getting the new found sound quality that I'm enjoying right now AND hopefully include DD/DTS decoding through hdmi/optical in.

You can only use the Xonar in a HTPC. Your question was a panic that the Xonar didn't support DTS/DD to LPCM over HDMI (at least that's how I interpreted it). That only matters if you use your HTPC to play DVD's.

!
post #292 of 9551 Old 09-02-2008, 12:20 PM

Quote:

You can only use the Xonar in a HTPC. Your question was a panic that the Xonar didn't support DTS/DD to LPCM over HDMI (at least that's how I interpreted it). That only matters if you use your HTPC to play DVD's.

That actually wasn't my original question. My apologies if the wording was confusing. To clarify:

- I want to know if Xonar Hdav 1.3 decodes DD and DTS stream from its HDMI and Optical inputs without using any 3rd party software.

There you go, I hope that clears it up for everyone
post #293 of 9551 Old 09-02-2008, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That actually wasn't my original question. My apologies if the wording was confusing. To clarify:

- I want to know if Xonar Hdav 1.3 decodes DD and DTS stream from its HDMI and Optical inputs without using any 3rd party software.

There you go, I hope that clears it up for everyone

I don't have the Xonar Hdav 1.3, I have the earlier D2X. I lost the DD decode when I ditched my X-Fi EP. I have a good, used, working one if you're interested

I think if it supports DD input decode it will loudly proclaim it in the specs. Apparently very few cards have useable (in the pre/pro sense) digital inputs.

Lifespeed
post #294 of 9551 Old 09-02-2008, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifespeed View Post

I don't have the Xonar Hdav 1.3, I have the earlier D2X. I lost the DD decode when I ditched my X-Fi EP. I have a good, used, working one if you're interested

I think if it supports DD input decode it will loudly proclaim it in the specs. Apparently very few cards have useable (in the pre/pro sense) digital inputs.

Does your x-fi EP come with upgraded 4562 opamps and cap upgrade? If so, then I'll seriously consider your offer if the hdav1.3 doesn't decode DD/DTS.

Hopefully myAv can shed some light into this.
post #295 of 9551 Old 09-02-2008, 04:21 PM

Just going out of town for a couple of days. Meetings, meetings ... I will be back on Friday.
post #296 of 9551 Old 09-02-2008, 04:37 PM
Advanced Member

Location: Living among the children of the corn in Oxford, (S.E.), PA.
Well, that's really up to the combination of;
- your ears/sense of hearing
- room dynamics, and
- the speakers.

No one can actually answer that question but you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatthehell View Post

Can anyone tell me if i will notice a difference on lossless audio on my setup Below, im planning on getting a Blu Ray rom and The Asus Card for xmas im currently using onboard sound with SPDIF out

Fronts: Kef Q7 Floorstanding
kef.com/history/2000/q/qseries7.asp

Rears: Kef Q1 Bookshelf
kef.com/history/2000/q/qseries1.asp

Centre: Kef Q6C
kef.com/history/2000/q/qseries6c.asp

Subwoofer: SVS 20-39 PCi
svsound.com/products-sub-cyl-pcpow2.cfm

(Add www. to above links couldnt add them properly as im a newbie)

With a recently bought Onkyo 606 Reciever

Thanks in advance

Mark

"The Bundys' proud name was built on a philosophy of lying. Well, lying, owing money and perhaps beer. Yes, lying, owing money and beer. The only thing that separates us from the Kennedys is that they have money." - Al Bundy
post #297 of 9551 Old 09-03-2008, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Jumping in to this thread late- has anyone confirmed that this card will pass un-decrypted un changed non-bitstream Dolby TrueHD and DTS MA out through the hdmi port?
post #298 of 9551 Old 09-03-2008, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by iansilv View Post

Jumping in to this thread late- has anyone confirmed that this card will pass un-decrypted un changed non-bitstream Dolby TrueHD and DTS MA out through the hdmi port?

This card will either decode Dolby TrueHD and DTS MA and pass it as unmolested LCPM or it will bitstream the undecoded Dolby TrueHD or DTS MA
source to be decoded by the receiver.

Last we heard, on release, bitstreaming of DTS MA will not be ready. It will be available in a later update.

Affable Nitwit
post #299 of 9551 Old 09-03-2008, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member

And this has been confirmed?

If so- finally! I know there is no quality difference between compressed and lpcm, but the compressed bitstream might be used to trigger a d-box system if they ever get their act together with an hdmi enabled controller.
post #300 of 9551 Old 09-03-2008, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Actually unless you do bitstreaming, it will go through the windows mixer (at least in vista).

Joel Barsotti
SpectraCal
CalMAN Lead Developer
Reply Home Theater Computers

Tags
Asus , Nvidia

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page