Forum Jump: 

post #3001 of 9534 Old 12-13-2008, 01:54 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathbone View Post

The Boom issue is a known problem. It's not the disc, it's your receiver. I had the exact same problem with my Onkyo 605 with bitstream HDMI. After firmware update no more Boom.

Yes, it's solved with a firmware on the onkyo.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3002 of 9534 Old 12-13-2008, 08:01 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Another finding: Playing .ISO vs playing blu-ray from folder.
There appears to be a significant difference in quality playing a blu-ray movie from ISO(or disc) VS playing it from a folder, the latter being much worse. It appears to be associated with blu-ray and not individual file play (i.e. non-m2ts files like MKV are fine).

End finding: use .ISO to playback blu-ray movies. Most of us have already converted due to powerdvd8 so probably a moot issue.
post #3003 of 9534 Old 12-13-2008, 08:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathbone View Post

The Boom issue is a known problem. It's not the disc, it's your receiver. I had the exact same problem with my Onkyo 605 with bitstream HDMI. After firmware update no more Boom.

What exactly is the Boom issue for you? What me and mpgxsvcd is experiencing seems directly related to only the latest Asus .125 version of TMT. Care to try at low volume HDMI 5.1 48KHz/TMT 5.1 (with the use audio mixer check box unchecked) and try to play a movie, press pause, then play, and see if you get a static noise that's nearly twice as loud as the normal playback volume? (since you claim firmware fixed it.)
post #3004 of 9534 Old 12-13-2008, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emig5m View Post

What exactly is the Boom issue for you? What me and mpgxsvcd is experiencing seems directly related to only the latest Asus .125 version of TMT. Care to try at low volume HDMI 5.1 48KHz/TMT 5.1 (with the use audio mixer check box unchecked) and try to play a movie, press pause, then play, and see if you get a static noise that's nearly twice as loud as the normal playback volume? (since you claim firmware fixed it.)

I have Onkyo 998 and I do not have such problem with TMT .125.
post #3005 of 9534 Old 12-13-2008, 08:58 AM

Hi, I have a problem with my Xonar HDAV 1.3 and bitstreaming. Maybe someone here can help, I read about similar problems earlier in this thread but found no solutions that worked.

While PCM output has always worked fine, I am now trying to get HDMI bitsreaming on Vista. However, when I switch TMT to "HDMI" output and I am playing any kind of track except for LPCM, there is a) no sound at all and b) a strong image stuttering/freezing effect (main feature finally freezing completely). The receiver display still reads Multichannel PCM, while TMT information box reports "passthrough" as it should be. I tested that with TrueHD, DTS HD MA, and even normal DTS. Only LPCM tracks play like normal.

Drivers and TMT are the latest beta drivers for Vista 32-bit SP1 (6.12.8.1757 and 2.1.13.125 respectively). I did what I consider a clean re-install (removed previous TMT and driver first in that order and rebooting after each step). My HDMI Cables are all 1.3a compliant and the receiver (Marantz SR7002) should be able to decode the streams. My mainboard is Asus P5B-Deluxe Wifi, and graphics card is an nVidia GeForce 7900 GTX. I have a projector connected an its native 720p resolution is set when playing movies.

I tested with and without Splendid installed; did not make a difference. It also did not (and obviously should not for bitstreaming) make any difference what speakers/sampling rate I selected in the HDAV control panel. I was also looking for a bitstreaming/HDMI setting in HDAV control panel that I have to select, but there was none. I assume that's ok?

Any ideas? Does anyone else experience this problem?
post #3006 of 9534 Old 12-13-2008, 09:25 AM

So is it worth it to go ahead and purchase the Xonar 1.3 for TrueHD and MasterDTS at this point? I have an Onkyo 805 and a 4850 ATI card right now that can't do the TrueHD etc. Or is there another version coming out soon that would be better to wait for?

Thanks, this board is very informative!
post #3007 of 9534 Old 12-13-2008, 10:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlkc View Post

I have Onkyo 998 and I do not have such problem with TMT .125.

Interesting. Me and mpgxsvcd have the same receiver and we're both effected. In a way I find it hard to believe it's the receivers fault since it doesn't do it with the 7.1 setting or older versions of TMT. If it was the receiver one could assume it would do it with the 7.1 setting and also on previous versions of TMT. Could it be OS specific? I'm running in WinXP SP3 32bit. Are you XP/Vista? If I can get this "DTS-Bomb" as mpgxsvcd calls it problem fixed, I'd be pretty much 100% happy with the card even though bitstreaming works, it monkeys with my image quality and prefer to just use PCM out and bypass and run my videocard directly to the display.

I think there's a newer firmware revision for the RX-663 than the one mine shipped with, I could try it, what the hell do I have to lose?
post #3008 of 9534 Old 12-13-2008, 10:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsselp View Post

So is it worth it to go ahead and purchase the Xonar 1.3 for TrueHD and MasterDTS at this point? I have an Onkyo 805 and a 4850 ATI card right now that can't do the TrueHD etc. Or is there another version coming out soon that would be better to wait for?

Thanks, this board is very informative!

Newer revisions coming out. Just wait a bit.
post #3009 of 9534 Old 12-13-2008, 10:14 AM

Liked: 147
Quote:

Newer revisions coming out. Just wait a bit.

If they put the VMC plugin and HD-DVD back in, then I will consider it.

I feel saddened that they have come so close to creating exactly what I want, and then they purposeefully gimp it.
post #3010 of 9534 Old 12-13-2008, 10:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingpimp View Post

I tested with and without Splendid installed; did not make a difference. It also did not (and obviously should not for bitstreaming) make any difference what speakers/sampling rate I selected in the HDAV control panel. I was also looking for a bitstreaming/HDMI setting in HDAV control panel that I have to select, but there was none. I assume that's ok?

You're right, settings in the Xonar control panel doesn't matter when bitstreaming as long as you do have it set to HDMI output. Then the only other setting is HDMI in TMT and you're set.
post #3011 of 9534 Old 12-13-2008, 10:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrsage View Post

If they put the VMC plugin and HD-DVD back in, then I will consider it.

I feel saddened that they have come so close to creating exactly what I want, and then they purposeefully gimp it.

HD-DVD works here same as it always did... Or are you talking about bitstreaming support?
post #3012 of 9534 Old 12-13-2008, 10:21 AM

Quote:

HD-DVD works here same as it always did... Or are you talking about bitstreaming support?

I read (in this thread somewhere) that they removed HD-DVD support from their version of TMT.

Is this not true?

I don't really care if they add bitstreaming support for HD-DVD, since it is a dead format after all. As long as they do not mess up the LPCM output of the HD-DVDs.
post #3013 of 9534 Old 12-13-2008, 10:49 AM
AVS Club Gold

Yes, works with spdif setting in .125

The moderators' statement:
The decision of not including HDDVD is to reduce loading of testing and the chances of causing troubles to BD passthrough. Plus also becuase now BD is the only standard. We'll discuss necessity with our partners to see the possibilities of adding HDDVD support back.

Seems like it was left in but they didn't work on HDDVD bitstream. That's my guess.

PS; Retail 126 works great with the Xonar except no bitstream.

"The purpose of diplomacy is to prolong a crisis." Spock, Mark of Gideon, TOS
post #3014 of 9534 Old 12-13-2008, 11:13 AM
Advanced Member

Ya, PCM on HD-DVD bluescreens for me. Spdif setting in TMT works for bitstreaming the DD+ track with either using the digital optical out or HDMI output of the card.

I'm still trying to find out what the latest revision of firmware for the RX-663 is. I bought mine fairly recently and assume is already has the newest firmware.
post #3015 of 9534 Old 12-13-2008, 11:23 AM

I've vot a problem, i can watch a film only with THT

I try with PowerDVD or MPC and my PC boot

Why only THT can play a movie ?

THX
post #3016 of 9534 Old 12-13-2008, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davinleeds View Post

Yes, works with spdif setting in .125

The moderators' statement:
The decision of not including HDDVD is to reduce loading of testing and the chances of causing troubles to BD passthrough. Plus also becuase now BD is the only standard. We'll discuss necessity with our partners to see the possibilities of adding HDDVD support back.

Seems like it was left in but they didn't work on HDDVD bitstream. That's my guess.

PS; Retail 126 works great with the Xonar except no bitstream.

So I would have to manually change the player each time I inserted a HD-DVD and then manually change it back when I play a BR? The simple fix is to have it autodetect and change the settings for me, then they can claim it simply works when you insert a disc.
post #3017 of 9534 Old 12-13-2008, 11:29 AM

Quote:

Ya, PCM on HD-DVD bluescreens for me. Spdif setting in TMT works for bitstreaming the DD+ track with either using the digital optical out or HDMI output of the card.

I'm still trying to find out what the latest revision of firmware for the RX-663 is. I bought mine fairly recently and assume is already has the newest firmware.

Ah, so I actually lose capabilities with regards to HD-DVDs if I use the ASUS version of TMT.

With the Arcsoft version, I can LPCM the HD-DVD sound. With the ASUS version, I have to go to the crappy (relatively speaking) compressed sound.

That is a loss of functionality, imo. Not good.
post #3018 of 9534 Old 12-13-2008, 11:35 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbil69 View Post

I've vot a problem, i can watch a film only with THT

I try with PowerDVD or MPC and my PC boot

Why only THT can play a movie ?

THX

Did PDVD and MPC work before Xonar?

Sometimes too many codecs/different players can be the problem.

post #3019 of 9534 Old 12-13-2008, 11:39 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrsage View Post

Ah, so I actually lose capabilities with regards to HD-DVDs if I use the ASUS version of TMT.

With the Arcsoft version, I can LPCM the HD-DVD sound. With the ASUS version, I have to go to the crappy (relatively speaking) compressed sound.

That is a loss of functionality, imo. Not good.

That's why, if you think you might want this, post @ ASUS to complain:
http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?...Language=en-us

Posting about 24playback got their attention.

post #3020 of 9534 Old 12-13-2008, 11:49 AM

Hi guys,

I've discovered that if you are purely using hdmi, it makes a difference to disable s/pdif in your Vista sound panel. This allows you to use s/pdif or digital output (actually hdmi) in other programs like PDVD and XBMC and get audio. Otherwise it was trying to send through this non connected output.
post #3021 of 9534 Old 12-13-2008, 12:11 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingpimp View Post

Hi, I have a problem with my Xonar HDAV 1.3 and bitstreaming. Maybe someone here can help, I read about similar problems earlier in this thread but found no solutions that worked.

While PCM output has always worked fine, I am now trying to get HDMI bitsreaming on Vista. However, when I switch TMT to "HDMI" output and I am playing any kind of track except for LPCM, there is a) no sound at all and b) a strong image stuttering/freezing effect (main feature finally freezing completely). The receiver display still reads Multichannel PCM, while TMT information box reports "passthrough" as it should be. I tested that with TrueHD, DTS HD MA, and even normal DTS. Only LPCM tracks play like normal.

Drivers and TMT are the latest beta drivers for Vista 32-bit SP1 (6.12.8.1757 and 2.1.13.125 respectively). I did what I consider a clean re-install (removed previous TMT and driver first in that order and rebooting after each step). My HDMI Cables are all 1.3a compliant and the receiver (Marantz SR7002) should be able to decode the streams. My mainboard is Asus P5B-Deluxe Wifi, and graphics card is an nVidia GeForce 7900 GTX. I have a projector connected an its native 720p resolution is set when playing movies.

If you have speaker testing correct, I would remove TMT and reinstall. Look in registry also.
From Arcsoft forum:
Uninstall.
Restart.
Remove anything that remains in [PROGRAMFILES]\\ArcSoft\\TotalMedia Theatre
Remove anything that remains in [COMMONFILES]\\ArcSoft\\
(assuming no other ArcSoft apps.)
Remove the userdata stored in [USERNAME]App Data\\Roaming\\ArcSoft
(assuming no other ArcSoft apps.)
Reinstall.
Restart.

post #3022 of 9534 Old 12-13-2008, 12:27 PM
Advanced Member

Well I updated the Yamaha 663's firmware from Ver: D054E to Ver: E057E and still get the same result with the DTS Bomb and only with only the 5.1 PCM setting - 7.1 still not effected. Nothing changed there. I'm still pretty confident this is TMT's fault and not the receivers since it didn't do it in the previous version and not with the 7.1 setting in TMT (which honestly sounds the same as the 5.1 setting - I assume each setting is irrelevant when decoding and outputting PCM and would only be relevant when using the 'enable sound mixer'). EDIT: Take back this statement, 7.1/5.1 settings do sound different in Transformers which is a 5.1 track.

Can we get someone with a different receiver/pre-pro than the Yamaha 663 to try 5.1 PCM output of Dolby True-HD and press pause then play see if you get the digital static noise? You also hear it for a split second when seeking/skipping. Don't worry about blowing anything up, just keep the volume set low and/or use headphones. That would be bizarre if only the Yamaha was effected and if so, you would assume it would also do it with the 7.1 TMT setting.
post #3023 of 9534 Old 12-13-2008, 12:59 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by nephster View Post

Hi guys,

I've discovered that if you are purely using hdmi, it makes a difference to disable s/pdif in your Vista sound panel. This allows you to use s/pdif or digital output (actually hdmi) in other programs like PDVD and XBMC and get audio. Otherwise it was trying to send through this non connected output.

Under controlpanel>sound I only have Speakers and Digitial Output. Where are you seeing SPDIF?
post #3024 of 9534 Old 12-13-2008, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ymarker View Post

Under controlpanel>sound I only have Speakers and Digitial Output. Where are you seeing SPDIF?

Hmm, I guess it's to do with my onboard, though I deliberately didn't install any drivers for my onboard audio/video chipset (Intel G35) when I did a fresh install so I don't have the motherboard hdmi showing up. Device says Digital Output Device (SPDIF). Driver says Microsoft.
post #3025 of 9534 Old 12-13-2008, 01:12 PM
AVS Club Gold

Are you showing disabled and disconnected devices?

post #3026 of 9534 Old 12-13-2008, 01:15 PM

Quote:

Did PDVD and MPC work before Xonar?

you can be more precise? thank you

Quote:

Sometimes too many codecs/different players can be the problem.

I tested to play MPC without external filter.

I use with MPC:
CoreAVC
AC3Filter
FFDSHOW
Haali media splitter
Nvidia Video Decoder
post #3027 of 9534 Old 12-13-2008, 01:36 PM

Quote:

Are you showing disabled and disconnected devices?

I was - but the SPDIF wasn't disabled anyway. Now it is disabled and all working better, although PDVD 7.3 will only pass 2.0 from say 5.1 TrueHD (i.e. it is not reading the core DD that is supposed to be embedded in TrueHD). Set to normal DD/DTS in a film with that as another soundtrack it will pass the full 5.1.
post #3028 of 9534 Old 12-13-2008, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Interesting. Me and mpgxsvcd have the same receiver and we're both effected. In a way I find it hard to believe it's the receivers fault since it doesn't do it with the 7.1 setting or older versions of TMT. If it was the receiver one could assume it would do it with the 7.1 setting and also on previous versions of TMT. Could it be OS specific? I'm running in WinXP SP3 32bit. Are you XP/Vista? If I can get this "DTS-Bomb" as mpgxsvcd calls it problem fixed, I'd be pretty much 100% happy with the card even though bitstreaming works, it monkeys with my image quality and prefer to just use PCM out and bypass and run my videocard directly to the display.

I think there's a newer firmware revision for the RX-663 than the one mine shipped with, I could try it, what the hell do I have to lose?

I thought mpgxsvcd have different Onkyo receiver but not 998.

I have Vista 32 bit.

I am using latest DSP and firmware updated in my 998.

I have prefect bitstream TrueHD and DTS MA BD playback and DD, DTS TMT .125 using HDMI output and ES DTS for DVD playback using TMT .125 SPDIF output.
post #3029 of 9534 Old 12-13-2008, 01:43 PM

Quote:

Well I updated the Yamaha 663's firmware from Ver: D054E to Ver: E057E and still get the same result with the DTS Bomb and only with only the 5.1 PCM setting - 7.1 still not effected. Nothing changed there. I'm still pretty confident this is TMT's fault and not the receivers since it didn't do it in the previous version and not with the 7.1 setting in TMT (which honestly sounds the same as the 5.1 setting - I assume each setting is irrelevant when decoding and outputting PCM and would only be relevant when using the 'enable sound mixer'). EDIT: Take back this statement, 7.1/5.1 settings do sound different in Transformers which is a 5.1 track.

Can we get someone with a different receiver/pre-pro than the Yamaha 663 to try 5.1 PCM output of Dolby True-HD and press pause then play see if you get the digital static noise? You also hear it for a split second when seeking/skipping. Don't worry about blowing anything up, just keep the volume set low and/or use headphones. That would be bizarre if only the Yamaha was effected and if so, you would assume it would also do it with the 7.1 TMT setting.

Just tried playing Dark Knight with TMT set to 5.1 and pausing multiple times. Occasionally heard a tiny crackle but no bomb, even when turned up loads. Onkyo 875, latest TMT and driver, Vista SP1.

However, I *did* encounter this before I think (I assume this is a horrible loud white noise like a dead tv channel?) when playing a PCM soundtrack in the previous version of TMT on XP. Didn't happen when I switched to the DTS or DD track. Only happened when I hit pause. IIRC correctly it went away on the 2.0 PCM soundtrack when I unpaused but not on the 5.1 PCM track.
post #3030 of 9534 Old 12-13-2008, 01:44 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbil69 View Post

you can be more precise? thank you

I tested to play MPC without external filter.

I use with MPC:
CoreAVC
AC3Filter
FFDSHOW
Haali media splitter
Nvidia Video Decoder

ArcSoft TMT and ^ above sometimes don't work well together
Did they work before Xonar HDAV 1.3 and ASUS TMT?

Reply Home Theater Computers

Tags
Asus , Nvidia

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page