post #3031 of 9550 Old 12-13-2008, 04:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davinleeds View Post

ArcSoft TMT and ^ above sometimes don't work well together
Did they work before Xonar HDAV 1.3 and ASUS TMT?

Of course, all functioned perfectly before Xonar HDAV 1.3 and Asus TMT.

Can be a conflict with codecs or filters?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3032 of 9550 Old 12-13-2008, 04:36 PM
AVS Club Gold

Yes, codecs.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/searc...rchid=11785990

"The purpose of diplomacy is to prolong a crisis." Spock, Mark of Gideon, TOS
post #3033 of 9550 Old 12-13-2008, 05:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Since most of us looking at this thread have the same hardware, I decided to ask the following questions here...

I have ATI 4850, old P4 CPU, 3 HDDs, BD optical drive, 2 TV tuner cards and of course HDAV1.3. Thinking to upgrade my old 430W PS to a bigger one. How much power do you think I need? 500W 600W,700W or 1000W?

My local Fry's has a Cooler Master 650W on sale for $70 and I also noticed a Crossair 550W highly recommend in Newegg for $110 plus shipping. Do you think is worth to get the Croosair or 650W Cooler Master will be fine?
post #3034 of 9550 Old 12-13-2008, 05:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 35
I just got an HDAV 1.3 and it's seems I can't get it installed on a completely fresh install of Vista. I keeping getting the please insert card prompt. I've been trying for 2 days now. I checked some threads on the ASUS forum, none of which helped, ie disable onboard audio in bios, moved to the spare x16 pci-e slot. I am getting to the end of my patience. All I wanted was a neat HDMI a/v solution on my HTPC. Frankly I don't even need the Bluray/HD-DVD audio playback, as I prefer standalone for that. I'm on the verge of going back to standard digital output via coax.

post #3035 of 9550 Old 12-13-2008, 05:45 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzHDHT View Post

I just got an HDAV 1.3 and it's seems I can't get it installed on a completely fresh install of Vista. I keeping getting the please insert card prompt. I've been trying for 2 days now. I checked some threads on the ASUS forum, none of which helped, ie disable onboard audio in bios, moved to the spare x16 pci-e slot. I am getting to the end of my patience. All I wanted was a neat HDMI a/v solution on my HTPC. Frankly I don't even need the Bluray/HD-DVD audio playback, as I prefer standalone for that. I'm on the verge of going back to standard digital output via coax.

When you inserted the card did you get a windows "found new hardware" dialog box? If you didn't then make sure you have the power supply connected to the card and that your bios is updated. So I have a nVidia 680i motherboard and the second to most recent bios and it wouldn't recognize the PCIex card. As soon as I updated the bios windows recognized the card.
post #3036 of 9550 Old 12-13-2008, 05:57 PM
Advanced Member

I watched some BDs with PowerDVD 8 sending 6-channel PCM to the XOnar and my Onkyo 605. But I have to say the AQ of this solution is disappointing. With TMT bitstream I get fantastic AQ, with PowerDVD 8 over analog of my 2nd soundcard (Auzen Prelude), I also get great sound. But as soon as I watch the BD with 6-channel PCM to the Xonar HDMI in PDVD the sound is dull and volume is way lower than with the other 2 possibilities. I have to raise volume slider on the Onkyo 10 points. Anyone an idea or solution for this?
post #3037 of 9550 Old 12-13-2008, 05:58 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlkc View Post

Since most of us looking at this thread have the same hardware, I decided to ask the following questions here...

I have ATI 4850, old P4 CPU, 3 HDDs, BD optical drive, 2 TV tuner cards and of course HDAV1.3. Thinking to upgrade my old 430W PS to a bigger one. How much power do you think I need? 500W 600W,700W or 1000W?

My local Fry's has a Cooler Master 650W on sale for $70 and I also noticed a Crossair 550W highly recommend in Newegg for $110 plus shipping. Do you think is worth to get the Croosair or 650W Cooler Master will be fine?

I would go for quieter the better. Silent fan 120/140 best. I'm using 400W and seems fine, any reason for upgrade?

post #3038 of 9550 Old 12-13-2008, 06:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ymarker View Post

When you inserted the card did you get a windows "found new hardware" dialog box? If you didn't then make sure you have the power supply connected to the card and that your bios is updated. So I have a nVidia 680i motherboard and the second to most recent bios and it wouldn't recognize the PCIex card. As soon as I updated the bios windows recognized the card.

I've tried it under an existing fresh install of windows and then reinstalled a slipstream of Vista w/SP1 since I accidently used the older version. At neither time did I see the usual found new hardware dialog. In the device list, it seems to be there though. Naturally I connected the power connector. I always have up to bios in my system, the MB is recently handed down from another computer, its a ASUS Striker II Extreme w/ 790i chipset.

If I can be bothered, I can quite easily try it in 2 other pcs and see what happens.

post #3039 of 9550 Old 12-13-2008, 06:11 PM
AVS Club Gold

Anything to do with the PLX update?

post #3040 of 9550 Old 12-13-2008, 06:21 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathbone View Post

I watched some BDs with PowerDVD 8 sending 6-channel PCM to the XOnar and my Onkyo 605. But I have to say the AQ of this solution is disappointing. With TMT bitstream I get fantastic AQ, with PowerDVD 8 over analog of my 2nd soundcard (Auzen Prelude), I also get great sound. But as soon as I watch the BD with 6-channel PCM to the Xonar HDMI in PDVD the sound is dull and volume is way lower than with the other 2 possibilities. I have to raise volume slider on the Onkyo 10 points. Anyone an idea or solution for this?

How does PDVD react with the Xonar GUI? Much like TMT in PCM?

post #3041 of 9550 Old 12-13-2008, 06:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Anything to do with the PLX update?

I can't see how it would when the HDAV can't even be recognised if you try to run the update.

post #3042 of 9550 Old 12-13-2008, 06:59 PM
AVS Club Gold

I had two different experiences with Xonar install. Fresh Vista reinstall, had to install some mother board drivers, then video card drivers, installed Xonar and prompted to install drivers. Second, trying to uninstall older drivers then install new, windows would not stop it's own install,it recognized and would not let me stop install to install newest drivers. This would show up in device manager but no gui. So reinstalled Vista from scratch. This happened twice and I'm thinking this will happen next update. Next time I'll try update driver from within device manager same as with TMT. Hope ASUS TMT updates like retail.

post #3043 of 9550 Old 12-13-2008, 07:34 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Quote:

I thought mpgxsvcd have different Onkyo receiver but not 998.

I have Vista 32 bit.

I am using latest DSP and firmware updated in my 998.

I have prefect bitstream TrueHD and DTS MA BD playback and DD, DTS TMT .125 using HDMI output and ES DTS for DVD playback using TMT .125 SPDIF output.

I'm talking about outputting 5.1 channel PCM, not bitstream passthrough. So the setting in TMT would be 5.1 and not HDMI and the setting in the Xonar control panel would be HDMI/48Khz/5.1. Then you would simply try to playback a movie with say, Dolby True-HD, and press pause then play and BOOM the white noise (it returns to normal for me when repressing pause and play). However it might not do it on Vista since I'm running WinXP. Might be OS specific, might be receiver model specific - that's what I'm trying to find out. But please make sure your volume is set low if you wanna try to reproduce it (I'm really curious if anyone is getting it other than Yamaha RX-v663 owners. And yes, mpgxsvcd has my same Yamaha receiver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nephster View Post

Just tried playing Dark Knight with TMT set to 5.1 and pausing multiple times. Occasionally heard a tiny crackle but no bomb, even when turned up loads. Onkyo 875, latest TMT and driver, Vista SP1.

However, I *did* encounter this before I think (I assume this is a horrible loud white noise like a dead tv channel?) when playing a PCM soundtrack in the previous version of TMT on XP. Didn't happen when I switched to the DTS or DD track. Only happened when I hit pause. IIRC correctly it went away on the 2.0 PCM soundtrack when I unpaused but not on the 5.1 PCM track.

Yes it's the horrible loud white noise, that's exactly how it sounds (just in hi definition, hehe). Need someone without a Yamaha in XP to try... looks like it might be XP or Yamaha specific. Any takers on WinXP? Thanks for trying though...
post #3044 of 9550 Old 12-13-2008, 11:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I would go for quieter the better. Silent fan 120/140 best. I'm using 400W and seems fine, any reason for upgrade?

I just tried to add an additional HDD and after that it shuffle a bit. As soon as I remove thte HDD it is fine now. Again I have 3 HDDs, 2 tuner cards, 4850 and HDAV so I think my 450W is working over time...
post #3045 of 9550 Old 12-14-2008, 01:22 AM

Quote:

Yes, codecs.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/searc...rchid=11785990

There must be an error:
Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms.

Thanks
post #3046 of 9550 Old 12-14-2008, 06:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathbone View Post

I did the same thing the other day. On the asus control panel, click on the SVN (smart volume) button and then try it. You won't be disappointed.
FYI: It only works on PCM, and would have no effect on bitstream.
post #3047 of 9550 Old 12-14-2008, 07:32 AM

sorry just getting this straight in my head.

For bitstream out set tmt to HDMI, in asus audio console set to HDMI and number of speakers to 5.1 and channels to 6 (depending on the number of speakers have) and pcm to whatever you want? I use 96Khz.

For PCM out set TMT to 5.1 and what do you change in console?

Or have I got it all wrong? If so can someone post proper settings that I should use in TMT and audio console.
post #3048 of 9550 Old 12-14-2008, 08:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reaper12 View Post

sorry just getting this straight in my head.

For bitstream out set tmt to HDMI, in asus audio console set to HDMI and number of speakers to 5.1 and channels to 6 (depending on the number of speakers have) and pcm to whatever you want? I use 96Khz.

For PCM out set TMT to 5.1 and what do you change in console?

Or have I got it all wrong? If so can someone post proper settings that I should use in TMT and audio console.

For bitstream out (I actually like to call it passthrough, as does TMT, because it is possible to bitstream outside of exclusive/kernel streaming/passthrough mode) soo...

TMT HDMI; Xonar HDMI - that's it (rest doesn't matter for 'passthrough', you can set it to 2 channels and it wouldn't make a difference - passthrough of the data untouched is passthrough of the data untouched so you're 100% guaranteed bitstreamed data).

PCM: TMT 5.1 or 7.1; Xonar HDMI 5.1 or 7.1 48Khz. (and IMO for the purest sound like that of passthrough, the less DSP/EQ/etc... the better and closer to bitstreaming you get...)

Even leave the volume controls set to max and do the volume controlling with your receiver/pre-pro that way you still might be getting bit perfect transfer, just decoded by the Xonar and not the receiver. Might even be a good idea if you know the soundtrack is at a different Khz to switch the output of the card to it or else it would be resampling. That's what's nice about 'passthrough', there is no 'mights' - it either works 100% guaranteed bitstreamed or it doesn't at all....hehe.

But non-passthrough you always have that possibility that something is getting touched because there is a large space of middle ground of possible resampling/monkeying between working perfectly right or not at all so it's super hard to know if you're bitperfect unless with the case of a DTS wav file test where you get that guaranteed bitstreamed assurance it's working 100% untouched yes or 100% untouched no with zero middle ground of doubt....
post #3049 of 9550 Old 12-14-2008, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emig5m View Post

PCM: TMT 5.1 or 7.1; Xonar HDMI 5.1 or 7.1 48Khz. (and IMO for the purest sound like that of passthrough, the less DSP/EQ/etc... the better and closer to bitstreaming you get...)

I have perfect "pass thru"/bit stream TrueHD and DTS MA BD and DD, DTS and DTS ES DVD playback. But I can't get any BD and/or DVD playback using your above method to play LPCM including using SPDIF output in .125 TMT...
post #3050 of 9550 Old 12-14-2008, 09:48 AM

Quote:

For bitstream out (I actually like to call it passthrough, as does TMT, because it is possible to bitstream outside of exclusive/kernel streaming/passthrough mode) soo...

TMT HDMI; Xonar HDMI - that's it (rest doesn't matter for 'passthrough', you can set it to 2 channels and it wouldn't make a difference - passthrough of the data untouched is passthrough of the data untouched so you're 100% guaranteed bitstreamed data).

Even leave the volume controls set to max and do the volume controlling with your receiver/pre-pro that way you still might be getting bit perfect transfer, just decoded by the Xonar and not the receiver. Might even be a good idea if you know the soundtrack is at a different Khz to switch the output of the card to it or else it would be resampling. That's what's nice about 'passthrough', there is no 'mights' - it either works 100% guaranteed bitstreamed or it doesn't at all....hehe.

But non-passthrough you always have that possibility that something is getting touched because there is a large space of middle ground of possible resampling/monkeying between working perfectly right or not at all so it's super hard to know if you're bitperfect unless with the case of a DTS wav file test where you get that guaranteed bitstreamed assurance it's working 100% untouched yes or 100% untouched no with zero middle ground of doubt....

So what settings would I put my Vista Control Panel Audio on? Do I need to change it from 5.1 to 7.1 for each movie that has 5.1 or 7.1? Or could I just leave it at 7.1 for all movies and 5.1 will work itself out?
post #3051 of 9550 Old 12-14-2008, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsselp View Post

So what settings would I put my Vista Control Panel Audio on? Do I need to change it from 5.1 to 7.1 for each movie that has 5.1 or 7.1? Or could I just leave it at 7.1 for all movies and 5.1 will work itself out?

For me, bit stream/pass thru for all the BD, TrueHD, DTS MA and DVD, DD, DTS and DTS ES, I have:

HDAV center: 7.1/LPCM 192KHz, 8 speakers
TMT .125: HDMI for BD and SPDIF for DVD
post #3052 of 9550 Old 12-14-2008, 10:03 AM

Quote:

For me, bit stream/pass thru for all the BD, TrueHD, DTS MA and DVD, DD, DTS and DTS ES, I have:

Sorry, but is HDAV the Vista Control Panel Audio?

Thanks!
post #3053 of 9550 Old 12-14-2008, 10:10 AM

Liked: 13
Good news everyone. I asked Asus tech support about the 24p hardware fix and they replied saying that it is now fixed and the new revision is going through testing now. They expect to release it in mid-January 2009. I also asked about the recall but no answer to that unfortunately.

Eric

Eric

My Stuff: Panasonic TC-P65ZT60 w/  Ideal-Lume Bias Lighting, Yamaha RX-V3800, Oppo BDP-103D

post #3054 of 9550 Old 12-14-2008, 10:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I don't have to flip to SPDIF for DVD. I leave TMT @ HDMI and it plays standard dvds just fine.
post #3055 of 9550 Old 12-14-2008, 12:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I have perfect "pass thru"/bit stream TrueHD and DTS MA BD and DD, DTS and DTS ES DVD playback. But I can't get any BD and/or DVD playback using your above method to play LPCM including using SPDIF output in .125 TMT...

Interesting. PCM output over HDMI doesn't work for Vista? BTW, only the HDMI will work for multichannel PCM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsselp View Post

I'm not 100% sure myself. I assume you would want to match the settings of what the movie is on the PC side and let your receiver re-matrix the channels to the speaker setup you have (5.1/7.1/etc). Leaving it at 7.1 for all movies and assuming a 5.1 source would just pass the extra channels blank makes sense, but how do know the PC isn't trying to re-matrix and expand a 5.1 source to 7.1 then your receiver is again re-matrixing a 7.1 source back into 5.1 if you have a 5.1 setup? I think it is, because I could hear a difference between each setting switching back and forth in realtime. Only someone from Asus/Arcsoft could answer this for sure I'm afraid.

This is why I wish I could use passthrough....takes all the doubt and confusion out of everything.
post #3056 of 9550 Old 12-14-2008, 01:02 PM

Quote:

Thanks for helping. I have those settings, TMT set to HDMI and in the xonar set to HDMI. But It never says LPCM passthrough when playing in TMT. It says LPCM 4500Kbs mostly.
post #3057 of 9550 Old 12-14-2008, 02:06 PM

If a put HDMI IN THT, i haven't got sound.
I must put 5.1 !
post #3058 of 9550 Old 12-14-2008, 02:11 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
How would you say this card is compared with the Xonar D2X for gaming / desktop usage?
It seems like the HDAV-serie is aimed for HTPC and HDMI / BluRay playback only?
The review at Elite Bastards also shows that the D2X card is more or less superior to the HDAV1.3 and HDAV1.3 Deluxe in almost every single way when it comes to analogue audio?

I'm going to use my Creative Gigaworks S750 7.1 speakers which supports analogue only, and I'm mostly playing games and watching movies on my 24" H-IPS HP LCD-monitor? How will the HDAV1.3 Deluxe do compared with the D2X?

The advantage of HDAV1.3 is the D3SD GX 2.0? Which should provide my gaming with EAX5.0 support? The D2X only got EAX2.0?
post #3059 of 9550 Old 12-14-2008, 02:11 PM

Actually I think all my problems are caused by TMT, I hope they release another update to it soon.
post #3060 of 9550 Old 12-14-2008, 02:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reaper12 View Post

Thanks for helping. I have those settings, TMT set to HDMI and in the xonar set to HDMI. But It never says LPCM passthrough when playing in TMT. It says LPCM 4500Kbs mostly.

It should say 48k/24 PCM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbil69 View Post

If a put HDMI IN THT, i haven't got sound.
I must put 5.1 !

You're hardware might not all be HDCP compliant.
Reply Home Theater Computers

Tags
Asus , Nvidia

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page