*Official* Asus Xonar HDAV1.3 thread - Page 115 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3421 of 9571 Old 01-03-2009, 04:29 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 63
So I have solved and answered one of my problems. The HDAV1.3's console had a black/green button labeled "GX" in the lower right hand corner. It was green. I made it black by clicking it and restarted foobar. Now I don't have stereo going to all speakers. This is all inspite of the fact no DSP functions were lit in blue and the EQ MODE says disabled (except this is in black). I never clicked the GX button, it must be set that way as defualt for 5.1 set ups?

However, I still can't get wasapi to send unmolested multich pcm to my onkyo as it still shows 96khz and 5.1 instead of switching to 44.1khz and stereo. Again, the wasapi works great if I use wasapi digital output option.

I also found a dts decoder component called foo_dts on google. Works good, except how do I send the dts to my receiver to decode. Right now, no matter which output I select in foobar or nero showtime, my reciever does not show "dts" on it's display. This holds true for PCM and MULTI PCM over HDMI.

Premise, a FREE home automation program. Open-source Z-Wave Premise Module found here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3422 of 9571 Old 01-03-2009, 04:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I had the same problem as you, after enabling each sample frequency within digital and analogue outputs(windows control panel) and setting nominal playback from 44.1 to 48khz it fixed the problem.

Fyi, most mp3s will be encoded in 44.1 anyway if they have been ripped correctly from CD.

In regards to your second post, for DTS and DD, the application needs to have an exclusive mode in vista.

Natalya Simonova: Do you destroy every vehicle you get into?
James Bond: Standard operating procedure. Boys with toys.
Goldeneye
post #3423 of 9571 Old 01-03-2009, 04:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ymarker View Post

Yes, as long as anydvd is running.

Hmmm I just tried this and bitstreaming still doesn't work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude2006 View Post

Ok, does anyone have an idea on how I could work around this? My video card has two DVI outs - 1 of them I have running to my TV, which I use as a monitor, and the other I have going into the Xonar IN. For Xonar OUT, i'm connecting to a receiver so I can get the sound. Anyone have an idea as to how I could add a 2nd monitor to this mix (I would like to not have to use my TV all the time as the monitor)?

I was thinking something like this? I'm thinking I would connect this to the Xonar OUT, then one cable would go to a monitor, and the other to my receiver? http://www.amazon.com/HDMI-Splitter-.../dp/B000FMJLQC

This is the only other possibility I haven't tried.
post #3424 of 9571 Old 01-03-2009, 04:57 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Three displays no problem with 8200 IGP and 8600gts.

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device...imonVista.mspx
renethx posted this some time ago in 8200 thread

I think someone posted different cards ati/nvidia could be used in XP.

"The purpose of diplomacy is to prolong a crisis." Spock, Mark of Gideon, TOS
post #3425 of 9571 Old 01-03-2009, 06:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:

Yes, actually the HD audio is being processed with a receiver (Denon 1909), so:

Xonar HDMI IN < cable box hdmi out (or anyother HDMI outputting device)
Xonar HDMI out > just carrying HD audio from TMT (to receiver)
Video Card out > LCD

Ok, just so I understand what you're saying, it's your belief that I can connect ANY Hdmi-outputting device to the Xonar In, and that if I do this I won't have to connect my video card to the Xonar anymore? For instance, I could connect a STB to the Xonar In and use the DVI output from my video card that currently is connected to the Xonar for a 2nd monitor? Thanks in advance
post #3426 of 9571 Old 01-03-2009, 07:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

Ok, just so I understand what you're saying, it's your belief that I can connect ANY Hdmi-outputting device to the Xonar In, and that if I do this I won't have to connect my video card to the Xonar anymore? For instance, I could connect a STB to the Xonar In and use the DVI output from my video card that currently is connected to the Xonar for a 2nd monitor? Thanks in advance

Yes, I did this with my SkyHD box. The HDAV just needs 'any' video input to output the HD audio.
post #3427 of 9571 Old 01-03-2009, 07:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelEyes View Post

Yes, I did this with my SkyHD box. The HDAV just needs 'any' video input to output the HD audio.

Then why I can't I bitstream this way? Sure you're talking about bitstreaming/passthrough and not just LCPM output?
post #3428 of 9571 Old 01-03-2009, 07:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emig5m View Post

Then why I can't I bitstream this way? Sure you're talking about bitstreaming/passthrough and not just LCPM output?

Yes, it's pure bitstreaming (Dolby TruHD/DTS HD MA) as indicated by my Denon 1909 receiver. As long as there is no HDCP issue (i.e. using anydvd) really the xonar doesn't care what kind of video signal it is given. It just sends the audio signal along to your receiver.

Here is the setup I used:

Xonar IN < Time Warner cable HDMI (turn your cable box on).
Xonar OUT > Denon 1909 receiver
DVI out > 52" Sharp LCD from costco.
post #3429 of 9571 Old 01-03-2009, 07:53 PM

Quote:

Yes, it's pure bitstreaming (Dolby TruHD/DTS HD MA) as indicated by my Denon 1909 receiver. As long as there is no HDCP issue (i.e. using anydvd) really the xonar doesn't care what kind of video signal it is given. It just sends the audio signal along to your receiver.

but the only reason i can think to do this is to bypass the receiver in the video department?
post #3430 of 9571 Old 01-03-2009, 08:19 PM

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by haste View Post

but the only reason i can think to do this is to bypass the receiver in the video department?

Yes mate, were trying to get 24p here. Read previous posts.

HDAV1.3 has problems passing 1080p/24, it aint working with the current model and drivers.

Apparently they are releasing a new model that fixes this issue. Please read this from the Asus forum.

http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?...Language=en-us
post #3431 of 9571 Old 01-03-2009, 08:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Damn... Wonder why it isn't working for me then! Everything including normal AC3/DTS passthrough/lossless LPCM works over HDMI once I hook my receivers output monitor into the Xonar... just not bitstreaming! The only way I've been able to bitstream passthrough Hi Def was going from the videocard through the Xonar>receiver>tv... just like they want you to.

On my receivers signal info it keeps trying to switch from PCM to analog meaning it's not picking up and receiving any signal input. Anything outside of Hi Def passthrough works.... any other ideas? I wonder if it's my receiver that can't except or decode a incoming Hi Def sound signal when the menu is open due to its processor limitations? Because that's the only way I know of to get a dummy signal to come out of the receivers monitor out to open the HDMI output of the Xonar... I think I need to pickup a cheap device with HDMI output other than trying to use my receivers monitor out.
post #3432 of 9571 Old 01-03-2009, 08:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by j2037 View Post

Yes mate, were trying to get 24p here. Read previous posts.

HDAV1.3 has problems passing 1080p/24, it aint working with the current model and drivers.

Apparently they are releasing a new model that fixes this issue. Please read this from the Asus forum.

http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?...Language=en-us

There's other reasons too... I could care less about 24p... I don't want no video color range clipping or resampling to different resolutions loosing 1:1 pixel mapping.
post #3433 of 9571 Old 01-03-2009, 08:34 PM

Quote:

There's other reasons too... I could care less about 24p... I don't want no video color range clipping or resampling to different resolutions loosing 1:1 pixel mapping.

Couldn't agree more, I would prefer they bypass the video pass through if they can.

I left a couple of posts with them at the Asus forum asking to enable that feature for bypassing, we will see what happens in the future. Fingers crossed.
post #3434 of 9571 Old 01-03-2009, 08:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Damn... Wonder why it isn't working for me then! Everything including normal AC3/DTS passthrough/lossless LPCM works over HDMI once I hook my receivers output monitor into the Xonar... just not bitstreaming! The only way I've been able to bitstream passthrough Hi Def was going from the videocard through the Xonar>receiver>tv... just like they want you to.

On my receivers signal info it keeps trying to switch from PCM to analog meaning it's not picking up and receiving any signal input. Anything outside of Hi Def passthrough works.... any other ideas? I wonder if it's my receiver that can't except or decode a incoming Hi Def sound signal when the menu is open due to its processor limitations? Because that's the only way I know of to get a dummy signal to come out of the receivers monitor out to open the HDMI output of the Xonar... I think I need to pickup a cheap device with HDMI output other than trying to use my receivers monitor out.

Sounds like you are creating a loop circuit. Let me get this straight, you're going:

receiver HDMI monitor out > Xonar HDMI IN.

If so that won't work. You need a video signal, like HDMI out from your cable box / ps3 / or some other device.
post #3435 of 9571 Old 01-03-2009, 09:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Sounds like you are creating a loop circuit. Let me get this straight, you're going:

receiver HDMI monitor out > Xonar HDMI IN.

If so that won't work. You need a video signal, like HDMI out from your cable box / ps3 / or some other device.

The thing is it does work to open up the Xonar's HDMI out to output sound otherwise I couldn't use the HDMI out on the Xonar at all. But I suppose I should just try some other device. I don't have any currently (no PS3, no cable - only old school direct tv that I don't even watch anymore). Maybe I'll pickup a cheap DVD player with HDMI out tomorrow from Walmart.

Quote:

Couldn't agree more, I would prefer they bypass the video pass through if they can.

I left a couple of posts with them at the Asus forum asking to enable that feature for bypassing, we will see what happens in the future. Fingers crossed.

And I notice it's not only Xonar users complaining. I was reading reviews on Amazon for the HDMI splitter where people where complaining about certain receivers monkeying with their signal and not seamlessly passing it through untouched creating problems for them. Sometimes people just need their signal *totally* untouched! No framerate tampering, no special "splendid" crap, no resolution resampling....nothing!
post #3436 of 9571 Old 01-03-2009, 10:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodgexander View Post

I had the same problem as you, after enabling each sample frequency within digital and analogue outputs(windows control panel) and setting nominal playback from 44.1 to 48khz it fixed the problem.

Fyi, most mp3s will be encoded in 44.1 anyway if they have been ripped correctly from CD.

In regards to your second post, for DTS and DD, the application needs to have an exclusive mode in vista.

The DTS issue seems complex, but it is centered around what you are saying. I am now able to use Nero now to bitstream DTS to my Onkyo 905. The trick was that Nero showtime wants the "digital out" portion of the HDAV1.3 to be the default. However, there's a problem with this: the music sounded like it had a little higher pitch and went a tiny bit faster.

I did some reading online and found this is an old problem. The files I am trying to play are DTS CD rips at 44.1khz. I believe the HDAV1.3 cannot bitstream a 44.1khz dts stream, but only works with 48khz DTS streams. I confirmed this by playing with a neat spdif output plug in for foobar: http://www.ga.cba.pl/ This plug in has an option to upconvert the dts on the fly to 48khz, but this affects the sound as the documentation describes. I think Nero is doing something similar when I use the spdif option.

Anyone have any thoughts on how to fix this dts 44.1/48khz problem? Before I let nero showtime do the dts decoding and sent the output as multich PCM over HDMI and this worked pretty well, but wasn't a bit streamed copy. I don't want to re-encode the CDs... Is it my Onkyo 905 that's the problem or is it the HDAV1.3 driver? Any ideas are much appreciated

Premise, a FREE home automation program. Open-source Z-Wave Premise Module found here.
post #3437 of 9571 Old 01-04-2009, 12:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by etc6849 View Post

The DTS issue seems complex, but it is centered around what you are saying. I am now able to use Nero now to bitstream DTS to my Onkyo 905. The trick was that Nero showtime wants the "digital out" portion of the HDAV1.3 to be the default. However, there's a problem with this: the music sounded like it had a little higher pitch and went a tiny bit faster.

I did some reading online and found this is an old problem. The files I am trying to play are DTS CD rips at 44.1khz. I believe the HDAV1.3 cannot bitstream a 44.1khz dts stream, but only works with 48khz DTS streams. I confirmed this by playing with a neat spdif output plug in for foobar: http://www.ga.cba.pl/ This plug in has an option to upconvert the dts on the fly to 48khz, but this affects the sound as the documentation describes. I think Nero is doing something similar when I use the spdif option.

Anyone have any thoughts on how to fix this dts 44.1/48khz problem? Before I let nero showtime do the dts decoding and sent the output as multich PCM over HDMI and this worked pretty well, but wasn't a bit streamed copy. I don't want to re-encode the CDs... Is it my Onkyo 905 that's the problem or is it the HDAV1.3 driver? Any ideas are much appreciated

Switch your output to 44.1khz and make sure all volume controls are at max and no DSP. I can bitstream 44.1 multichannel DTS just fine.
post #3438 of 9571 Old 01-04-2009, 01:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Switch your output to 44.1khz and make sure all volume controls are at max and no DSP. I can bitstream 44.1 multichannel DTS just fine.

are you using the spdif foobar2000 plug in to bitstream the dts? if not, how do you know the card is outputting dts at 44.1khz? is there an easy way to check?

I wouldn't have noticed the difference with my ears if I wasn't using pretty nice receiver with very nice speakers. I can get dts to bitstream, but the issue is it's not bitstreaming at 44.1khz, but 48khz. Let the software decode the dts and compare, I bet you will notice a difference.

If you are indeed getting 44.1khz, which driver are you using? I am using the latest HDAV1.3 driver (12/11 update I think...). Also, which player and OS are you using? What outputs on the HDAV are you using? I think I tried setting the soundcard to 44.1khz earlier, but I'll retry.

post #3439 of 9571 Old 01-04-2009, 04:22 AM

Quote:

I tried pluging a dvd player with HDMI out to the HDAV1.3 , I was only able to get regular DTS etc, no Lossless audio DTS-MA, TrueHD etc.
post #3440 of 9571 Old 01-04-2009, 07:03 AM

Quote:

The files I am trying to play are DTS CD rips at 44.1khz. I believe the HDAV1.3 cannot bitstream a 44.1khz dts stream, but only works with 48khz DTS streams. I confirmed this by playing with a neat spdif output plug in for foobar: http://www.ga.cba.pl/

I cannot confirm your statement. I'm running Windows XP and can bitstream any DTS (44.1 and 48 kHz) via foo_spdif to my receiver. The Xonar is just doing what it is supposed to do: routing it to HDMI output.

So, if foo_spdif is not working as supposed with Windows Vista (you might want to check Vista compatibility here), then you can also decode the DTS stream via foo_dts. You'll get the uncompressed and unmolested PCM stream from the encoded DTS by this approach. However, you have to make sure that the PCM stream stays unmolested during its journey to the HDMI output. One important thing to achieve this is to set the proper PCM output in the HDAV Center. Because in contrast to encoded streams the Xonar is resampling/remixing PCM streams. In order to have bit perfect PCM pass through deactivate all DSP processing of the Xonar and set PCM output to 5.1 channels at 44.1 kHz (or whatever specs your input stream may have). Your receiver will display "5.1 MCH PCM" or alike when receiving the PCM stream.
post #3441 of 9571 Old 01-04-2009, 07:33 AM

Quote:

as indicated by my Denon 1909 receiver

ymarker, can you pass 1080p50hz and 720p50hz through your HDAV card to the 1909? My 1909 doesn't receive anything under 60hz from the HDAV. I had it working on my other amp (a Pioneer) but it intermittently had a 'snowy picture' with 1080p50hz.

It works fine straight from my video card so I'm sure that it's a fault in the HDAV, probably just an extension of the 24hz issue.
post #3442 of 9571 Old 01-04-2009, 09:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

You're a genius! It worked for me. My setup currently is:

Xonar In - Atlantic Broadband STB
Xonar Out - Receiver

I didn't lose any functionality with my Xonar, neither in Windows generally nor with Blu-ray. I fired up 300 on the computer and with TMT bitstreaming TrueHD, and sure enough my receiver displayed TrueHD. Thanks a lot, now my 2nd DVI output is free for me to do whatever I want!

Oh, and btw just to test that it wasn't a fluke, I restarted my computer and it still worked. And I also tried replacing the STB with a DVD player, and got same results.
post #3443 of 9571 Old 01-04-2009, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrsage View Post

I think the daughter card which Auzentech promised would be a great solution.

Wait, after promising it, they decided not to build it.

I think they used it to sell expensive cards, knowing many of the people who might buy it would not since it is a creative based card...

Given the history of both Auzentech and PowerDVD, their unholy union is something I plan to avoid.

+1 - I was one of those people that bought the Auzen Prelude based on the promise of the HDMI daughter card - silly me.

HTPCat
"Give Me More Audio & Video Toys"

post #3444 of 9571 Old 01-04-2009, 11:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I tried pluging a dvd player with HDMI out to the HDAV1.3 , I was only able to get regular DTS etc, no Lossless audio DTS-MA, TrueHD etc.

Make sure your HDMI output device (dvd player) is sending a live video signal down the wire to Xonar HDMI IN.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolvers View Post

ymarker, can you pass 1080p50hz and 720p50hz through your HDAV card to the 1909? My 1909 doesn't receive anything under 60hz from the HDAV. I had it working on my other amp (a Pioneer) but it intermittently had a 'snowy picture' with 1080p50hz.

It works fine straight from my video card so I'm sure that it's a fault in the HDAV, probably just an extension of the 24hz issue.

My old costco LCD doesn't have 24hz or anything other than 60Hz, i'm afraid.

Quote:

You're a genius! It worked for me. My setup currently is:

Xonar In - Atlantic Broadband STB
Xonar Out - Receiver

I didn't lose any functionality with my Xonar, neither in Windows generally nor with Blu-ray. I fired up 300 on the computer and with TMT bitstreaming TrueHD, and sure enough my receiver displayed TrueHD. Thanks a lot, now my 2nd DVI output is free for me to do whatever I want!

Oh, and btw just to test that it wasn't a fluke, I restarted my computer and it still worked. And I also tried replacing the STB with a DVD player, and got same results.

Great!
post #3445 of 9571 Old 01-04-2009, 11:20 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by buletti View Post

I cannot confirm your statement. I'm running Windows XP and can bitstream any DTS (44.1 and 48 kHz) via foo_spdif to my receiver. The Xonar is just doing what it is supposed to do: routing it to HDMI output.

So, if foo_spdif is not working as supposed with Windows Vista (you might want to check Vista compatibility here), then you can also decode the DTS stream via foo_dts. You'll get the uncompressed and unmolested PCM stream from the encoded DTS by this approach. However, you have to make sure that the PCM stream stays unmolested during its journey to the HDMI output. One important thing to achieve this is to set the proper PCM output in the HDAV Center. Because in contrast to encoded streams the Xonar is resampling/remixing PCM streams. In order to have bit perfect PCM pass through deactivate all DSP processing of the Xonar and set PCM output to 5.1 channels at 44.1 kHz (or whatever specs your input stream may have). Your receiver will display "5.1 MCH PCM" or alike when receiving the PCM stream.

In Vista, WASAPI is also an option for passing unmolested DTS wav's (or LPCM) to an external processor. foobar has an WASAPI implementation and I'm curious how the xonar handles WASAPI. I have an ATI 4550 video card with HDMI out and I have currently some mixed results with DTS wav's and higher bit rate i.e 5.1 24/96 tracks. Here's a link to some excellent test material of all kinds of bitdepths/sample frequencies. http://www.2l.no/hires/index.html

Would be great to get a report of Xonar's capability to play back those.

In addition to foobar, Jriver's media center also supports WASAPI. There are some mixed results with JRMC's implementation with various sound card drivers at the moment, but the JRMC team seems to be working on a solution.
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=49536.0

/Anders
post #3446 of 9571 Old 01-04-2009, 11:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

are you using the spdif foobar2000 plug in to bitstream the dts? if not, how do you know the card is outputting dts at 44.1khz? is there an easy way to check?

Yes, it's very easy to tell. It either works 100% or it doesn't at all. No bitstreaming = random digital pink noise. Bitstreaming = the DTS light on my receiver lights up as well as the multichannel lights. So it's a situation of it either works 100% or not at all. When you have all your output settings set right, you can even use Windows Media Player to bitstream. Just make sure all volume controls are set to max (even in your players) and no DSP. Even touching a volume will force it to resample and kill your bitstreaming.

To me it seems like your setup is trying to compensate with DSP/resampling since you either have some type of DSP enabled or other setting is out of alignment. Forget Foobar and try to get it working in Windows Media Player - no special plugins needed. Then you will have a scenario that either a) works 100% or b) doesn't work at all with no middle ground lowered quality compensation like you're experiencing now (same thing I experience with the Xonar/Receiver video passthrough, but only with video and no way possible to avoid it).
  • Output in Xonar set to 2 channel 44.1KHz
  • All volume controls set to max
  • No DSP enabled

Should now work in any media player without the need of any special kernel streaming plugins. I notice that when using the HDMI output if I don't use 2-channel and use say 5.1 I lose bitstreaming - make sure you use 44.1Khz 2-channel.
post #3447 of 9571 Old 01-04-2009, 11:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Can you try playing with a DVD running? I would hate to waste money on a DVD player if a DVD player doesn't work. So far it seems like only cable tv boxes are confirmed to work? We need to get a proper "hack" to work around this crap! Even if it's a hardware mod to the card...
post #3448 of 9571 Old 01-04-2009, 11:44 AM

Quote:

yeah, thats kinda what i was thinking. because if i run my pc through my receiver i have a very limited set of resolutions, i think just 720p and 1080p are available...nothing in between. but once i get my htpc setup i dont think its going to matter much since its gonna be my main media device and it will probably just stay in 1080p all the time neway.
post #3449 of 9571 Old 01-04-2009, 12:57 PM

Liked: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTPCat View Post

+1 - I was one of those people that bought the Auzen Prelude based on the promise of the HDMI daughter card - silly me.

I got lucky. I suddenly needed to buy something with the money I put aside for the Prelude. By the time I got around to buying it, the daughter card was axed.

I am sorry for your pain.
post #3450 of 9571 Old 01-04-2009, 01:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Can you try playing with a DVD running? I would hate to waste money on a DVD player if a DVD player doesn't work. So far it seems like only cable tv boxes are confirmed to work? We need to get a proper "hack" to work around this crap! Even if it's a hardware mod to the card...

I confirmed the trick works with a Toshiba HD-A35, and just now a Series 3 Tivo. The funny thing is the Tivo isn't even running cable, I just plugged it into the wall and put the HDMI cable into the Xonar.
Reply Home Theater Computers

Tags
Asus , Nvidia

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page